PDA

View Full Version : what to get? What to GET?

XSiv Force
03-24-2008, 04:47 PM
A friend of mine asked me which gun would i recommend to someone who ios just getting into the sport. He first said the Spat Parts SP1 but i dont think that would be a very smart choice for a new person to the sport. What do you guys think. By that i mean which marker would you recommend

Hossy
03-24-2008, 04:51 PM
a spyder
an Ion
a basic blowback like a promaster

irishwarrior
03-24-2008, 04:51 PM
MR-series. From my experience virtually indestructible, can survive not being taken care of and easy to maintain.

Critical
03-24-2008, 04:54 PM
I actually agree with your friend (full disclosure: I own an SP1). The SP1/Vibe is durable, easy to maintain, has very simple operation, is upgradeable, and runs on both CO2 or air. The Vibe goes for $140, the SP1 for $150, compare the features and performance against similar priced markers.

krashtestdummie
03-24-2008, 04:58 PM
I personally will never buy anything from smart parts, but thats just me(well I guess not just me). But anyways any Spyder is a good beginners gun as is any Tippman, man can those things take a beating. or if your looking to spend a little more money maybe a used PMR. Spyders and Tippmans are usually considered a beginners gun, but many people come to like them because they dont care wat other people think and stick with them for a long time, sort of like me. Ive been playing for 6 years and had different Spyders, and their all pretty much the same except for a few minor differences, and just now im looking into getting a different gun. It really depends on how much he wants to spend though, and what he all needs or wants.

XSiv Force
03-24-2008, 05:03 PM
i have a sp1 as well but i have more experience than he has, my friend gae him an old pmi pirahna and this guy thinks he knows every thing there is to know about every thing....... But i did suggest the mr 1 or the E mr1......I also said 98 c

XSiv Force
03-24-2008, 05:04 PM
This guy is still in high school so his parents are basically buying it for him

bigred76
03-24-2008, 05:22 PM
In that case, he should get an SL8R, and trade it to me for my spare Tippmann. ;)

XSiv Force
03-24-2008, 06:08 PM
yeah if he got that i wouls shank him with a dorito in the neck and then eat it and take it for my self

XSiv Force
03-24-2008, 06:13 PM
to prove to you how much his parents will blow on him.....they bought him a Camaro ..took the engine out and dropped in a 502 with supercharger......He doesnt even have his license yet

pb34
03-24-2008, 06:19 PM
to prove to you how much his parents will blow on him.....they bought him a Camaro ..took the engine out and dropped in a 502 with supercharger......He doesnt even have his license yet

With all the car accidents that have gone on with new drivers and the new laws coming out (at least in CT) any parent who would buy a new driver that car with a supercharged engine is insane.

Anywho like others have said, Spyders are always good guns to start with. If he says he's unhappy with it's performance tell him to mod it and make it LP. There almost always something you can do to improve a Spyder's performance and it's a great learning experience.

XSiv Force
03-24-2008, 07:13 PM
that is exazctly what i said to him

Schecter1277
03-25-2008, 05:46 AM
A friend of mine asked me which gun would i recommend to someone who ios just getting into the sport. He first said the Spat Parts SP1 but i dont think that would be a very smart choice for a new person to the sport. What do you guys think. By that i mean which marker would you recommend

Why would an SP1 not be a good entry level marker? It was designed as an entry level marker. It is priced cheaper than a spyder, fully electro pneu, easy to clean, has a co2 releif valve should liquid co2 enter the gun. It will work underwater(they completely submerged it underwater and fired it several times) At the same time it out performs both the spyder and tippman in effeciency, consistency, and pulled more shots from a co2 tank since it runs at a lower pressure. (4 pods after a 98c wouldn't recock again)

tumtum00
03-25-2008, 06:11 AM
Your beginner gun needs to fit what kind of playing you are doing, do not get a spyder for speedball, by the time you pay enough money to get it shooting fast enough to keep up you could have bought something nicer. By my experience i would recommend an ion, something in that range. An ion stock can shoot the max allowable 15bps and is great for air consumption. I get around 1000 shots on my 72/3000 tank. It only operates around 140 psi. And go compressed air or nitro, not co2.

Schecter1277
03-25-2008, 06:22 AM
A promaster is 139. Cheaper than an ion, most spyders, and will outperform both.

king-man
03-25-2008, 06:30 AM
so I take it he's wealthy? Tell him to get a new platinum custom pro with a egrip, a tippmann can take anything you throw at it and plus it has an egrip

tumtum00
03-25-2008, 06:33 AM
A promaster is 139. Cheaper than an ion, most spyders, and will outperform both.

I have never seen a promaster that would out perform my ion, I bought it brand new for 75 and I will out shoot any promaster i have ever played against, might just be me and they suck, but i doubt it. And operating pressure on an ion is around 100-150 psi less than the promaster. So obviously which one will get more shots. But we are all entitled to our opinion, so don't post stuff like they out perform ions cause i can play against my buddy with an angel, and i have only got put out by him once. So it isn't the gun. Get a decent gun get used to it shoot it alot, learn to aim, and then you will rip people up with it. It is all about skill and practice. When i run out of compressed air for my ion, i use a mechanical spyder tl, and i still stay in longer than most. I don't shoot as many people but that comes with the bps. The player makes the gun, not the other way around. Well the promaster doesn't come with an asa or duck bill.

Schecter1277
03-25-2008, 06:41 AM
I have never seen a promaster that would out perform my ion, I bought it brand new for 75 and I will out shoot any promaster i have ever played against, might just be me and they suck, but i doubt it. And operating pressure on an ion is around 100-150 psi less than the promaster. So obviously which one will get more shots. But we are all entitled to our opinion, so don't post stuff like they out perform ions cause i can play against my buddy with an angel, and i have only got put out by him once. So it isn't the gun. Get a decent gun get used to it shoot it alot, learn to aim, and then you will rip people up with it. It is all about skill and practice. When i run out of compressed air for my ion, i use a mechanical spyder tl, and i still stay in longer than most. I don't shoot as many people but that comes with the bps. The player makes the gun, not the other way around.

I tech guns for a living, you just own an ion and read about a promaster. Do you even know the volume of air an ion uses? That is why it operates at a lower pressure. Do you know what type of operating system your ion uses? Unbalanced blow forward spool. You don't show **** and are just spouting whatever comes to mind. It's irresponsible and you should think before you post.

tumtum00
03-25-2008, 07:00 AM
I tech guns for a living, you just own an ion and read about a promaster. Do you even know the volume of air an ion uses? That is why it operates at a lower pressure. Do you know what type of operating system your ion uses? Unbalanced blow forward spool. You don't show **** and are just spouting whatever comes to mind. It's irresponsible and you should think before you post.

Oh we have an expert on our hands, I am sure whatever he says is right that is why we hear about him everyday on his outstanding performance in the nppl. Obviously you aren't as good as you think you are or we would already know to come to you for all of our questions. I love know it all's about guns, they usually can't play worth a ****.

Schecter1277
03-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Oh we have an expert on our hands, I am sure whatever he says is right that is why we hear about him everyday on his outstanding performance in the nppl. Obviously you aren't as good as you think you are or we would already know to come to you for all of our questions. I love know it all's about guns, they usually can't play worth a ****.

I played with a pump for 3 years, you think I don't know this fact? However, spending money on a gun that doesn't perform well is called wasting money. If you feel like blowing 250 on a RSX when you can get a better fully EP gun that outperforms it several times over, then by all means. But I think it would easier to simple set fire to piles of money.

tumtum00
03-25-2008, 10:13 AM
I played with a pump for 3 years, you think I don't know this fact? However, spending money on a gun that doesn't perform well is called wasting money. If you feel like blowing 250 on a RSX when you can get a better fully EP gun that outperforms it several times over, then by all means. But I think it would easier to simple set fire to piles of money.

well the money i paid for my ion must have been a waste, since it throws ropes, is very consistant, and uses very little air. All that is done to it is a $10 qev, drop w/on off and i might have 100 in it total. So i guess that was such a waste of money.

pb34
03-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Ok calm down before this thread gets closed. There are both pro's and con's to the Ion and the Promaster. First I want to clear something up, just because a gun runs at a lower pressure does not necessarily mean it is more efficient. A gun running at 150psi could use far more air than a gun at 300psi. Second of all, you can't go say that your Ion is way better so get that and then say that the gun doesn't make the player because you shoot out people with Angels. This isn't even the issue being discussed plus that statement contradicts itself.

He needs an entry level gun that will perform decently and is easily maintainable for a decent price. In my opinion, a stock Promaster is better in this case than a stock Ion. It's made of more durable materials, it isn't hard to maintain, and it is pretty efficient. They are also being sold very cheap at the moment on Ebay. Getting a Spyder is not necessarily a bad idea either. He will learn to properly maintain it and then if he wants better performance he could upgrade it. You could also look at many different used guns on PBN. You can find Timmy's pretty cheap nowadays. There are a great number of options out there and it all depends on what he's looking to get.

XSiv Force
03-25-2008, 12:04 PM
yep, i agree with every word you just said.......

Drefish99
03-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Guys lets treat each other with a little bit more respect. Thanks.

bigred76
03-25-2008, 01:01 PM
I have to agree with PB34 as well. The Promaster's a bit easier for a new player to maintain with how it's made. The poppit design's always been my personal favorite for that reason. However, I don't think that he needs something like that when first playing. A nice used Tippmann for $50 with an aftermarket barrel will do him fine. It's something that even the worst of nubes can fix and maintain, and will teach him patience when working with a marker. You could do a Spyder as well, but if he's as you described... his internals are going to be on the field, lost somewhere, within the first 3 minutes of his first game because he saw the pull pin and thought: "what does this do???"

XSiv Force
03-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Are you taking about the Indian Creek Design Promaster?

XSiv Force
03-25-2008, 01:47 PM
BigRed you just described him....I let him use one of my OLD pirahnas and with in 5 seconds of the games begining he pulleted the pull pin and was trying to put the bolt, striker, spring and rubber jholder bak together

pb34
03-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Are you taking about the Indian Creek Design Promaster?

Yup, that's the one.

XSiv Force
03-25-2008, 03:37 PM
ok just making sure those do look good tho not sure if he would treat it very well tho

colonel_moo
03-25-2008, 03:51 PM

Assuming you are correct in your assertions, air usage and statistics only say so much about a gun. What about things like size, comfort, operating preference (personally, I will only shoot a spool valve), longevity, and ease of maintenance? You can't measure those things with statistics, and they are significant factors in buying a gun.

For the record, I don't own either of these guns, and I'm not advocating either one. Personally, I would buy a used Dye Matrix for about 100 bucks.

And Schecter, this isn't PBN. If you are here to flame and disrespect people, you're in the wrong place.

Schecter1277
03-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Assuming you are correct in your assertions, air usage and statistics only say so much about a gun. What about things like size, comfort, operating preference (personally, I will only shoot a spool valve), longevity, and ease of maintenance? You can't measure those things with statistics, and they are significant factors in buying a gun.

For the record, I don't own either of these guns, and I'm not advocating either one. Personally, I would buy a used Dye Matrix for about 100 bucks.

And Schecter, this isn't PBN. If you are here to flame and disrespect people, you're in the wrong place.

It just bugs me when people are irresponsible in the advice they give. They shoot off without knowing what they are talking about and now the kid spends twice as much on half the quality. Or goes and does a "home mod" and messes his gun up and now he has to buy a new gun.

As far as the promaster, I've owned a gen2 freestyle and shot and teched several promasters and the stock F/S trigger and stock promaster trigger are exactly the same and are the best triggers. I don't know why anyone would upgrade. The trigger is easy to pull but isn't slugish on the return stroke.
If you want to compare cost to what you get, you get a gun that is simple to maintain, has eyes, very good quality, upgradable, A/C threaded, and for half of guns in the same class.

but I'm with you on the spool, but unless you're willing to spend a lot, spool isn't the best option. Both the ion and rail are unbalanced blowforward, which leads to bolt trouble. I am also not much for the trigger of either one, it will slow down your game. I realize some like them, but personally I've shot much better.

bigred76
03-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Bugs me more than you'd believe too. ;) All those options that you list that the Promaster has are easily summed up in a few words: "Great gun, you might like it, but it isn't for your friend." Remember, this guy IS a nube, and knowing nubes like I do, he might just unscrew the back cap while playing. :crazy:

Ion's are great guns too, I've had the advantage of owning both an Ion and Promaster, and I must say, they're just about the same. Stock vs Stock, not one stock and one with a QEV. The difference in them is preference. If you like a spool, Ion's for you. You like stacked tube, Promaster's for you. /discussion.

Schecter, check your PM's. ;)

Kenny_McCormic
03-25-2008, 05:34 PM

Spoiled child? I doubt my parents would give me a rotted out yugo. I doubt his car will last a long time.

applesauce
03-25-2008, 05:40 PM
PMR, end of discussion...

Ace24
03-25-2008, 05:42 PM
a basic blowback like a promaster

Promaster is a blow forward. AKA F.A.S.O.R. :dodgy:

ION. You can find one for CHEAP now-days and they're tanks.

XSiv Force
03-25-2008, 05:54 PM
I compared tippmanns as the Civics of the paintbal world, i couldnt think of what spyders would be called. Someone told me one time Ions are the Accords

Ace24
03-25-2008, 05:58 PM
I'd still take a Civic over an Accord... but not a Tippmann over an ION.

XSiv Force
03-25-2008, 07:00 PM
I called my Pirahnas the Vega

shark
03-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Tell him to get somethin like the VS2. It shoots ropes and im pretty sure it wouldn't take long to train him not to disassemble it while playing. have him start out on something cheap but solid, work on his skills and the go on from there.

tumtum00
03-25-2008, 07:04 PM
that is funny, i am loving my ion, and i drive an accord, how funny is that

bigred76
03-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Why a Civic over an Accord? Civic's SOHC while Accord's DOHC with better comforts. :rolleyes:

Oh, on topic... uh... *thinks hard*.... ****... erm... oh, paintball's cool! :dodgy:

If that's so, then the Cyborg must be the Corvette of paintball. Not the most expensive, but it will outrun almost anything out there!

XSiv Force
03-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah im more of a 1968 chevelle kind of guy

Hoppy11
03-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Guys lets stay on topic, if you have a marker to suggest, back up why you think it is good choice in a non flaming or taunting manor. Some of you have already been warned once in this thread... And some of you should know better by now...

XSiv Force
03-25-2008, 08:10 PM
What about a BT series or is that a little advanced for a noob

bigred76
03-25-2008, 08:29 PM
BT = Ben Tippmann. They changed the name to "Battle Tested" or some **** like that, but after Tippmann was sold (I forget who to), he started his company. He originally only supplied KEE, but now they own the company (pretty much, they own almost ****ing everything in paintball now). I think that's how it went down at least. BT's are supposed to be easier to take down, but that's about the only difference I've seen.

XSiv Force
03-25-2008, 09:04 PM
ok ive been wondering what was the difference other than name

SpyderMan723
03-26-2008, 03:44 AM
I agree with irish. MR

Ace24
03-26-2008, 03:54 AM
Why a Civic over an Accord? Civic's SOHC while Accord's DOHC with better comforts. :rolleyes:

Oh, on topic... uh... *thinks hard*.... ****... erm... oh, paintball's cool! :dodgy:

If that's so, then the Cyborg must be the Corvette of paintball. Not the most expensive, but it will outrun almost anything out there!

Because the Civic SI has a shifter like butter and the Accord is overweight and even with a V6, it suffers because of the weight.

tumtum00
03-26-2008, 05:29 AM
Because the Civic SI has a shifter like butter and the Accord is overweight and even with a V6, it suffers because of the weight.

well i am married, got two kids, so my accord works out alot better than the civic, and i am a pretty good size guy, so i don't fit in those civics too well, lol, so i am keeping my accord and my ion (for those who thinks my ion sucks too)

shunut
03-26-2008, 06:17 AM
Wow, an admin and mod both post in here warning you guys and you still can't keep on topic.

/thread, sorry.