PDA

View Full Version : Calling all fathers!!! I need advice!!!

STRIKEFIRST
03-24-2008, 04:33 PM
I was at my local shop today and a guy on there staff team comes up and says hey I hear you have a 6 year old...of course the proud papa I am, I'm like hell yeah check her out...she loves golf and paintball...yadda yadda yadda...he says mine turns 6 on monday...

AND he says why don't we put these two together on a midget kids team...I laugh it off...first I have never heard of anyone under 8 playing second the wife would never ever ever go for it.

Uh...MY WIFE WENT FOR IT.

She thinks it's a great idea!!! WHERE IS THE WOMAN I MARRIED?

If there is a "youth league" that young...would you let your 6 year old play?

I can only assume you would use brittle paint and a low velocity?

My world is upside down...My wife went for this...I'm speechless...not to mention a six year old who over heard everything and wants to know what gun she'll shoot!!!!!

Someone out there give this Dad some direction!:confused:

Hossy
03-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Isnt there a law or something that you have to be atleast 9?
atleast thats the way where I live. I would try to wait a few years, or atleast make your daughter learn the rules, and the importance of following them.

EDIT:
the last thing we need is another one of these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5DQdxX6ttU

Critical
03-24-2008, 04:40 PM
I'd do it. Especially since it would be all kids her same age/size. That would eliminate a lot of the danger posed by older/more aggressive players.

Make her play pump.

Team Ramrod
03-24-2008, 04:41 PM
yeah, every insurance waiver ive seen requires that the person be at least 10yrs old to play. might want to check it out. personally, i think its a little young to be playing, but i suppose with all yours close supervision and velocities turned down you could get away with it in your own personal renegade field.

Sandman_Bravo
03-24-2008, 05:25 PM
The primary reason (I was told) that 10 years old is the minimum age is that:
1- masks don't fit correctly and snugly on smaller heads
2-prior to 10 there isn't enough developed musculature and/or fat to sustane a paintball hit without undue trauma.
But beyond that, I wouldn't trust too young of a child to fully grasp the reprecussions of not following safety procedures.
BTW, my oldest boy played a few games at 9 but starts his first real year of paintball this year at 10 1/2.

vikingshadow
03-24-2008, 05:31 PM
^^^I thought the minimum age was 10 yrs old - I know it is at our field, anyways.

I wouldn't let my 6 yr old play, only because I believe they are incabable of understanding certain aspects of the game - and honestly, I wouldn't trust them with common things like safety, courtesy, and I really don't think they can handle the pain as well.

It's been proven that children below a certain age aren't capable of certain things...we're talking kindergarten/1st grade here. Shoot, I've seen 4th and 5th graders not be able to follow the rules of the game very well, and some just can't handle getting shot.

Speaking as a father of two girls that I wish would play the game with me, I wouldn't put anyone under 10 on the field - what? We have to start them early now?

SpyderMan723
03-24-2008, 05:32 PM
2-prior to 10 there isn't enough developed musculature and/or fat to sustane a paintball hit without undue trauma.
But beyond that, I wouldn't trust too young of a child to fully grasp the reprecussions of not following safety procedures.
BTW, my oldest boy played a few games at 9 but starts his first real year of paintball this year at 10 1/2.

I can see the mask thing playing a role..

but have you heard of PADDING? stuff a few pillows under their shirt and send them out to battle!

Sandman_Bravo
03-24-2008, 05:34 PM
^I'd rather be a responsible father and wait until they are ready to play.

SpyderMan723
03-24-2008, 05:43 PM

Understandable.

My dad was pretty responsible when he took me to my first game....:dodgy:

(tried to change modes on his pilot and shot me in the back at point blank range.)

:( I made sure mom heard about that one.

bigred76
03-24-2008, 05:45 PM
I have to agree with Vike. Their minds are just not ready for it at that age. It could be done if there was a ref for each child, and the requirements included all the padding out there that's available (neck protectors, slider pants, arm pads, knee pads, chest protectors, headshields, etc), as it would prevent any injury that would seriously harm the child. Given, it is a bit excessive to some, but these are LITTLE children we're talking about.

DRAGON
03-24-2008, 05:47 PM

This, (http://www.dmartstores.com/battlemax.html) a safer more responsible fatherly type alternative - ;)

Critical
03-24-2008, 06:06 PM
I guess I'm way outvoted. Read Ender's Game too many times.

DFSniper
03-24-2008, 06:12 PM
lol, critical.

as fun and amusing as it sounds, i have to agree with vike, tim, and sandman on this one.

STRIKEFIRST
03-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Yeah Dragon for all I know at this point that would be what they use.

My 6 year old is home school'd very bright, respectful, follows rules to a "T".

Believe it or not she has a JT youth mask that fits great...BUT she's 6. My wife being all for it really messed up my head.

As bad as I want her to Play...and even with Mom's approval...Nope.

9 years old at earliest.

Now if it was some goofy thing like Dragon pointed out...I may change my mind...But my kid is a string bean...and I don't want to risk her getting hurt.

I'll let you all know if it's different, like dragons thing.

STRIKEFIRST
03-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Make her play pump.

That's funny...did I mention the kid walks a trigger...the joys of father hood. (Before I get a lecture...she know she has to have ALL her safety gear on BEFORE touching a gun even w/o a tank)

DRAGON
03-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Yeah Dragon for all I know at this point that would be what they use.

My 6 year old is home school'd very bright, respectful, follows rules to a "T".

Believe it or not she has a JT youth mask that fits great...BUT she's 6. My wife being all for it really messed up my head.

As bad as I want her to Play...and even with Mom's approval...Nope.

9 years old at earliest.

Now if it was some goofy thing like Dragon pointed out...I may change my mind...But my kid is a string bean...and I don't want to risk her getting hurt.

I'll let you all know if it's different, like dragons thing.

My 18 year old(youngest) and I played ball twice last week. Let him use my tricked VS and he loved it. He may very well end up having it for his own soon since he went on and on about it. You'll really like taking them when they're older cuz you need not worry about them so much getting hurt in the process - ;)

bigred76
03-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Drago's idea? Eh? Drago only quoted someone and agreed with them... :confused: Unless... you meant "BigRed's ingenious take on the situation?" ;) Yeah, I already broke my arm patting myself on the back yesterday, don't bother trying to stop me. :D

Good to hear you're ingraining the proper safety guidelines early. I hate going to the field and having idiots tell me I'm too proper about safety... in the end, it'll be their eye that the hospital's trying to fix, not mine!

Sandman_Bravo
03-25-2008, 01:41 AM
This, (http://www.dmartstores.com/battlemax.html) a safer more responsible fatherly type alternative - ;)

Thanx for the vote of confidence. Here he is at 9:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/Sandman_Bravo/EAS.jpg

Since that pic was taken, he has grown a size larger in clothes and put some more meat on his bones. And, I think, he's matured a great deal personality-wise to follow instructions better. 1 year makes a big difference IMHO. BTW, note the upped Spyder Pilot!

bamf-hacker
03-25-2008, 04:17 AM
I have two kids and my oldest 4 and half has great interest in my Paintball addiction. Would I let him play, nope. For a few reasons.

1- Minimum age allowed by Insurance company regulations is 10
2- If he did get hit for some reason the marker FPS fluctuated and it hurt him hey may be turned off to paintball all together.
3- Trying to convince other parents to let their very young kids play could prove to be impossible. I have a hard enough time convincing adults it is fun.
4- Markers and equipment are not really made for someone so small, goggles mostly. I know some of you said you have ones that fit, but fit well and fit are different. If my son lost an eye I would never forgive myself
5- I don't care how mature a child acts, they are still a child and they may not 100% adhere to the rules. Many of you are young enough to attest to that.
6- Unlike your case I have a wife that would kill me if I took my son out to play now, or even before he turns 10. (don't get me wrong, when he is close I will let him shoot a few hoppers at a poor defenseless tree, when she is not home :))

So should she play? Well in the big picture that is up to you, but those are my opinions and I am sticking to them :)

Schecter1277
03-25-2008, 05:41 AM

On your first mark you sort of have a point, on a general masks, however there are masks that will fit a kids head.
On point #2, don't try and talk biology and development, because take it from a bio major, you have NO idea what you are talking about.

In florida, the waver must be signed by a parent or guardian of at least 21 years old, or 18 to sign your own.

Hossy
03-25-2008, 06:09 AM
On point #2, don't try and talk biology and development, because take it from a bio major, you have NO idea what you are talking about.

just on a side note, wouldnt a kid who is younger have an easier time with getting hit, because of all the extra cartelidge in their body making a better cushion?

king-man
03-25-2008, 06:18 AM
I started when I was 8 but that was 98s with a long way away my parents made us wear a bunch of clothing but as far as masks, I mustve had a big head cuz I had to loosen mine from alot of peeps masksthat were atleast 14

Schecter1277
03-25-2008, 06:36 AM
just on a side note, wouldnt a kid who is younger have an easier time with getting hit, because of all the extra cartelidge in their body making a better cushion?

huh? no...

The only cartilage that is present only in kids is some in the hand and foot, otherwise at birth the rest of the skeleton(aside from the head) has hardened, however it is hylain cartilage which is quite bendable and absorbs shock quite well(in adults it is present in the knee and spine to absorb shock). However, in an adult, there is so much dense irregular connective tissue in the hands(the muscles of the fingers are located in the forearm) that most shock is absorbed that way. Between a 6 year old body and an adult body's ability to absorb the shock of a paintball there is little physical difference. The only difference would be mental, in which an adult may be able to take more than a kid, however, many adults can't take it, while I've seen 7 year olds with absolutely no fear.

STRIKEFIRST
03-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Drago's idea? Eh? Drago only quoted someone and agreed with them... :confused: Unless... you meant "BigRed's ingenious take on the situation?" ;) Yeah, I already broke my arm patting myself on the back yesterday, don't bother trying to stop me. :D

Good to hear you're ingraining the proper safety guidelines early. I hate going to the field and having idiots tell me I'm too proper about safety... in the end, it'll be their eye that the hospital's trying to fix, not mine!

No that back yard battle thing...yes Red you are the man!

And no she won't be playing against Mom's will...that's something you don't hear everyday.

Sandman_Bravo
03-25-2008, 02:00 PM
On your first mark you sort of have a point, on a general masks, however there are masks that will fit a kids head.

Gee, I just dicussed it with my wife who is a ped's intensive care unit RN and she agrees with me. But I guess I should take it from a STUDENT who is studying that I have NO idea what I'm talking about. I guess being a father of 3 doesn't count either. Do you have any kids?

bigred76
03-25-2008, 02:27 PM
Oh boy... play nice! Both of you have your own opinions on the matter, leave it at that!

1Blyth1
03-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Understandable.

My dad was pretty responsible when he took me to my first game....:dodgy:

(tried to change modes on his pilot and shot me in the back at point blank range.)

:( I made sure mom heard about that one.

haha man her reaction must have been funny

STRIKEFIRST
03-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Oh boy... play nice! Both of you have your own opinions on the matter, leave it at that!

QFT!

Just remember...you don't know, what you don't know.

Sandman_Bravo
03-25-2008, 04:06 PM
[in my kid's tone of voice] He started it!!!!!

bigred76
03-25-2008, 08:58 PM
Lol! OK, now I have a question for both Sandman and Schecter. This isn't to start a fight, I'm just curious on both of your takes on it, so don't take it as a reason to. ;)

If a child and an adult human (lets say male in both cases) have the same structure in respective sizes, then wouldn't the hit hurt the child more? Even though they are RESPECTIVELY the same via scale, the child would have less "padding," per se with my train of thought, as the "padding" would be smaller and not as thick as that of the adult.

Now the question I have is, would that train of thought be right? No debating... just what you think of this post.

(Yeah, I'm curious, I just don't want another spat...)

Hazardous/2k4
06-12-2008, 12:45 AM
IDK, but i've taken the barrel off one of my markers and used it as a blowgun to fire a paintball at my 5 year old, just for fun and laughs and it seemed to hurt him, he didnt scream and cry, but he was like "oww" so you can only imagine what a paintball would do, even at just 100fps....I cant wait til my son is old enough to play ball but gonna have to hold off a few more years IMO....but they do sell similar paintball markers that fire sponge like balls(and im not talking nerf), I forgot the name of it, they sell them at target and I noticed how you can dip them in water or other water based paint to give it that extra intensity, or just fire them dry...I think this would be a good way to get them on the road to paintball.

EyeMaster
06-12-2008, 05:36 AM
I don't think it's a very good idea. As mentioned a few times already, I'm not sure a 6 year old is able to comprehend the full extent of why the rules are they way they are. I wouldn't want one of those kiddies taking off their masks because they had an itch, and then get hit in the face!

Also, are they strong enough to hold the gun for 10 minutes without getting too tired or fire accidentally a little too much?

STRIKEFIRST
06-12-2008, 06:20 AM
My wife still wants her to play...but I won't let that happen for a few years...

BUT on the bright side shed did get her first "PUMP"

The: N-Strike Maverick

http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/default.cfm?page=viewproduct&product_id=15953

SpyderMan723
06-12-2008, 06:52 AM
My dad didn't even introduce me to the sport.. I found out about it from my cousin, once he started to play, I was tempted to start.. When my dad found out that I wanted to start playing, he was pretty surprised and excited that we can actually do something together as father and son.. So paintball has brought me closer to my father...but hes still a P.I.T.A!!!!

cyberthrasher_706
06-12-2008, 11:09 AM
BUT on the bright side shed did get her first "PUMP"

The: N-Strike Maverick

http://www.hasbro.com/nerf/default.cfm?page=viewproduct&product_id=15953

My son got one of those for christmas last year, I still need to go buy a couple more so we can all go outside and play around.

irishwarrior
06-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I remember when I had one of those... me and my friends used to have nerf wars. I broke mine though, I was trying to mod it into firing the dart harder.

HelpDeskHustler
06-12-2008, 01:21 PM
No, just to eliminate the possibility that I get bunkered by an 8-yearold.

STRIKEFIRST
06-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Someone brought this thread back from the dead...lol

cyberthrasher_706
06-12-2008, 05:34 PM
yeah, that's exactly what I thought when I saw it this morning. My son just turned 9 but it's going to be at least 3 years before he can fit the gear, unless he hits some massive growth spurt.