PDA

View Full Version : Rap4 Spyder 22" Super Sniper Barrel?

SirRoundSound
03-22-2008, 02:17 PM
I'm thinking about purchasing this bad boy (http://rap4.com/paintball/os/spyder-inch-super-sniper-barrel-p-3731.html), along with a bipod and a scope of some sort (haven't figured out which yet) and converting my MR1 into a decent long-range rifle.

But I'm wondering: How does it perform? I tried searching around the forums here for a mention of its performance, but it doesn't look like too many people have used it.

It is "rifled", and I would like to know how this, in combination with its grotesque length, contribute to the overall range and accuracy of the marker?

Anyone who has used this barrel, or can give me an idea of what to expect, your help would much be appreciated.

DFSniper
03-22-2008, 02:19 PM
anything over 16" is complete overkill and inefficient on your air. personally, i wouldnt get anything over 14". and that "rifling" is all a bunch of hype. if anything, it just allows more air to escape down the barrel, making efficiency even worse.

Hossy
03-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Dont get a longer barrel. It wastes air, and it doesnt effect accuracy or distance

all guns are chronoed to shoot about 275 bps. that means all guns can shoot the same distance. This wont help you more than a 14 inch barrel would

SpyderMan723
03-22-2008, 02:20 PM
anything over 16" is complete overkill and inefficient on your air. personally, i wouldnt get anything over 14". and that "rifling" is all a bunch of hype. if anything, it just allows more air to escape down the barrel, making efficiency even worse.

:yeahthat:

I have a rap4 rifled barrel, I havent really used it much so I havent gotten to test the accuracy

irishwarrior
03-22-2008, 04:53 PM
I have two RAP4 rifled barrels a 16" and a 18". I haven't been able to test the accuracy over my 14" Smart Parts Progressive, because I live in a neighborhood with a Homeowners Association and they said in their newsletter you can't fire air rifles, firearms or airsoft guns. They never mentioned paintball and nobody ever had a problem with it before, but best not tempt fate.

VS3 Sniper
03-22-2008, 05:48 PM
To the best of my knowledge a paintball only needs 9 inches to achive the max vlocity. So anything over that is over kill. I may be wrong on the length tho.

DFSniper
03-22-2008, 06:23 PM
its about 8 or 9 (without porting) and the rest if to stabilize the ball. anything over 14 creates drag significant drag, slowing down the ball.

Hossy
03-22-2008, 06:25 PM
To the best of my knowledge a paintball only needs 9 inches to achive the max vlocity. So anything over that is over kill. I may be wrong on the length tho.

hence the reason many people use 12 inch barrels-

I would suggest a 12 inch barrel to the OP because I doubt he will get the 22 inch barrel after reading the responses. anything over 16 inch is overkill, but i wouldnt suggest the 16 inch at all either, its long.

bigred76
03-22-2008, 09:07 PM
On top of the aforementioned reasons, I think I can give a theory about how the rifling would affect accuracy. On a regular firearm, specifically a long rifle (say... .22 calibre), the rifling helps the bullet maintain it's course. That's because it's a solid mass and the spinning helps the bullet maintain momentum and "cut" through the air. On a paintball, however, the balls are NOT solid. The balls are filled as much as possible, but not all the way. Think of it this way: fill up your blender 99% of the way, close the lid, and turn it on. That's essentially what you're doing with a rifled barrel, and it will not work very well for accuracy as the main mass of the ball (the paint) is being thrown all around, and it will spiral in the air around the axis it was shot.

As for length, 12" is best for front players, 14" is best all around (IMO), and 16" is for those who like to push their barrels around/through stuff (bunkers, bushes, etc). Above 16" and you're a retard for wasting your money on a barrel that doesn't do anything the stock barrel doesn't; specifically sucking.

lester30
03-23-2008, 07:47 AM
I bought a 16 Inch smart parts barrel I found it caused the ball to arc everytime I shot it so I switched back to the stock barrel and have not used the 16 since actually im trying to sell it

SpyderMan723
03-23-2008, 08:01 AM
Above 16" and you're a retard for wasting your money on a barrel that doesn't do anything the stock barrel doesn't; specifically sucking

Well I happen to own a 35" barrel with extra rifling.. I'm not weetoddid

:smileysanta:

:dodgy:

slim and shady
03-23-2008, 08:46 AM
I dont think that the rifling in a paintball barrel is supposed to make the ball spin or it would hook off one way everytime you shoot similer to the apex with the ramp on. All the rifling is supposed to do is reduce drag, i sont know if i would be a beleiver in this either but i asked a smiler question about this a few months back I think it was titled "Rifling a myth?" but im not positive anymore.

Thricearch
03-23-2008, 08:49 AM
everyone who has posted that anything over 16" is a "waste of air" hasn't tested it..

it's been tested and AT MOST you lose 20 balls per 20oz tank...oooohh not 20 balls...

if you play in a heavily wooded area like I do and there is a lot of thick brush, get the 20" to help clear the rubbish and get a clean shot

slim and shady
03-23-2008, 08:53 AM
I got nothing against 16+ barrels i think that it is compleatly user preferance. you may lose a few shots but maby you may want to make the trade, its kinda the same as the Trinity expansion for the MR2 doesnt really do anything but people just like the look so they get it anyway. the same could be true for the longer barrels giving the sniper look.

Taillo
03-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Ouch im i the only one with great reviews about longer barrels?

I have a 16" rifled barrel from rap4.
What i can say about "rifled", is that contrary to real guns, the rifling of this barrel does not add spin to the paintball, instead it eliminates the spin.
On what eliminating the spin can be helpful? its simple, it leaves the wind as the only remaining force to alter your shots. This means you get more constant medium and close range shots. It will not enhance your overall accuracy, and you will not shoot longer distances. This barrel from rap4 is very tigh bore and big paint need more air to reach the desired velocity.

I then switched to a 20" J&J Ceramic.
That barrel did enhance range in a very nice way. When you shoot a rifled barrel you can expect the ball to curve down rapidly right at the desired distance for sniping. Then you waste more balls to adjust you elevation. With this barrel , the curve down effect of gravity has a much more smooth curve and will help you get a better accuracy when you shoot your first balls at long range. I really was impressed by the j&j 20".

The only shorter barrels i used before where a Trinity 16" and stock barrels and they did not match the two longer barrels accuracy.

paintballkid0206
03-23-2008, 11:53 AM
I got nothing against 16+ barrels i think that it is compleatly user preferance. you may lose a few shots but maby you may want to make the trade, its kinda the same as the Trinity expansion for the MR2 doesnt really do anything but people just like the look so they get it anyway. the same could be true for the longer barrels giving the sniper look.

:yeahthat: I dont have a problem with longer barrels. Like stated, it's user preference. I'm making mr MR-1 mil-sim and if i would get a 16+ in. barrel, it would be for cosmetic reasons. But i wouldnt get anything bigger than say... 18-20".

bigred76
03-23-2008, 01:16 PM
*sigh* This is why I don't usually venture into this section of the boards. When I post here, I talk about sheer performance. When I buy stuff for me, I go for sheer performance. **** looks, **** what you think is "good," **** it all. Performance states that anything more than 16" is a waste of cash.

What proof do you have that the ball was not spinning, Taillo? The normal HD high speed video I presume, right? :dodgy:

I agree, the idea of losing shots because of barrel length is ridiculous... HOWEVER, the longer barrel will make you have more kick because of the increased pressures you need to run at as compared to a barrel 16" or less. :rolleyes:

As for your next petty, insignificant remarks, please refer back to my first post. I'm done.

Taillo
03-23-2008, 05:37 PM
rap4's rifled barrels have straight ridges, no spiral. the original spin cannot come from the barrel as experienced trough dirty or scratched barrels.

kbonnell
03-24-2008, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=bigred76;190394]HOWEVER, the longer barrel will make you have more kick because of the increased pressures you need to run at as compared to a barrel 16" or less. QUOTE]

Thats funny, I dont remember a paintball gun having any kick. I guess if you compare a high dollar gun and a cheap walmart special there might be some evidence of recoil on the shooter.

I would go for the longer barrel just to be able to be deep in cover and just have the end of my barrel sticking out of a bush. As for being efficient on air, why do you need to be? You're not playing speedball and shooting a case of paint each round. Carry a small hopper or even a 10 round tube and a couple of pods. You will only shoot 100-200 balls if you're lucky.

Hossy
03-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Thats funny, I dont remember a paintball gun having any kick. I guess if you compare a high dollar gun and a cheap walmart special there might be some evidence of recoil on the shooter.

I would go for the longer barrel just to be able to be deep in cover and just have the end of my barrel sticking out of a bush. As for being efficient on air, why do you need to be? You're not playing speedball and shooting a case of paint each round. Carry a small hopper or even a 10 round tube and a couple of pods. You will only shoot 100-200 balls if you're lucky.

some people, like I love to shoot paint. I get hits for making a wall of *enter color of paint* in an area, hoping that it will hit the player.
Yet, whoever said the efficiency thing has a point. a few balls here or there doesnt hurt anyone. The kick that you will see will be there when you have a huge barrel. Ive always used a small barrel, and yet usually a higher end gun, and have very little or no kick. when you add the lowend gun and then stupid upgrade choice like so, your gun becomes a a deadly POS.

DFSniper
03-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Thats funny, I dont remember a paintball gun having any kick. I guess if you compare a high dollar gun and a cheap walmart special there might be some evidence of recoil on the shooter. You mean like the MR1 that Wal-Mart sells?? And yes, paintball guns have a lot of kick. Some people don't feel it as much as others. Compare a 98C or BE to a Spyder, and you'll notice a difference.

I would go for the longer barrel just to be able to be deep in cover and just have the end of my barrel sticking out of a bush. Have you ever tried RUNNING through the woods or trenches with a 20" barrel? I can barely do that with my 14" without feeding it mud!
As for being efficient on air, why do you need to be? You're not playing speedball and shooting a case of paint each round. Carry a small hopper or even a 10 round tube and a couple of pods. You will only shoot 100-200 balls if you're lucky.
I beg to differ. i've used 1,000 balls in one woodsball game. We were defending and weren't allowed to leave the base for 45 min.

kbonnell
03-25-2008, 12:42 PM
^You must be short and uncordinated. Have you ever ran through the woods with a 30 inch barrel. I have and I did it an March 15th during turkey season with the 30 inch barrel of my Remington 1100 shotgun. Its not that hard and it never got it dirty. Maybe if you shot a real gun you would be able to control the little recoil of a paintball gun. As for acting as "sniper" your team shouldn't put you in the position where you would have to use suppressing fire. You should be positioned away from the main scene picking off bad guys one by one as they encroach on your position.

bigred76
03-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Sniper shniper, snipper.... none of them matter.

What does shooting have to do with paintball? I hope to God that you're not running around with that Remington during a game! :rolleyes:

I remember using my Cyborg one game and running through my hopper and pack... ended up having to surrender the last guy (nubes + dryfiring Cyborg at 30bps = PRICELESS!). My pack holds 7 pods and my hopper holds about 180 balls reasonably. You do the math, I'm too lazy!

As far as your offensiveness... it isn't liked around here, please cut down on it!

slim and shady
03-25-2008, 03:43 PM
I think we are getting a little off topic, the question has already bein answeard, personal shots and insaults are not needed here we all have our opinions lets just respect them and move on?

DFSniper
03-25-2008, 06:42 PM
^You must be short and uncordinated. I'm 5'9" and 180lbs. Have you ever ran through the woods with a 30 inch barrel. I have and I did it an March 15th during turkey season with the 30 inch barrel of my Remington 1100 shotgun. Its not that hard and it never got it dirty. Right, but theres a difference between hunting and trying to run/crawl through muddy trenches. Maybe if you shot a real gun you would be able to control the little recoil of a paintball gun. Which one? The 30-06, .227, muzzleloader, home defense shotgun, hunting shotgun, H&K .45, or AR-15? I've been shooting since I was 10 and been hunting since I was 11-12. As for acting as "sniper" your team shouldn't put you in the position where you would have to use suppressing fire. You should be positioned away from the main scene picking off bad guys one by one as they encroach on your position. You're right, but some people may not want to play "sniper" the whole day and want to get in the action for a change of pace. And some people can justify saving a few extra shots because it saves a little money, but thats just my opinion.

I think I'm done too...