PDA

View Full Version : lacrosse?

interceptorMR2
03-21-2008, 08:46 AM
hey for anyone out there who plays lacrosse, Im looking for a new stick, are there any reccommendations? I play highschool lacrosse, so it doesnt need to be too expensive, but im sick of mine, its a cheap and light 35 dollar stick. I hear warrior is good. Any suggestions on shafts and heads? :D

Hossy
03-21-2008, 09:08 AM
I have warrior stuff, and it is good. I dont play lacrosse, but in my area it is big and alot of other kids have it that i used to play with.

badlandsrox
03-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Brine, hands down.

interceptorMR2
03-21-2008, 11:15 AM
yeah ive been lookin at a few of brine's things, one of my friends has an awesome brine stick, but i dont know which head he has. I play attack, so I am kind of into heads with alot of whip in them for scoring, quicksticking, and quick passes. what head do you think would do well for that kind of stuff?

badlandsrox
03-21-2008, 11:41 AM
hmm, its been a few years since i got mine (I play AAA so the hitting is pretty intense, and my brine shaft has yet to create a visible curve/bend/dent or anything, a testament to how well their shafts are made), so i dont know if they make the same head as i have, and even if they did, the model name/number is long rubbed off, but what i do suggest is a wide head at the top (maybe double to 2.5 the size of the ball wide) if you play with alot of picking up a bouncing ball, or of your team is okay passers, and most of the ball pickup is on the run, and you do alot of shooting, get a narrow head.

ross * pilot
03-21-2008, 03:57 PM
yeah, here in PA, lax is a pretty big thing. badlands, if you've ever heard of Team Edge (A canadian travel lacrosse team), our team has played you guys.

right now, im using a warrior evolution pro head and a warrior kryptolite. its a good setup and i like it. If youre serious about lacrosse the heads i would suggest would be the evo pro by warrior or the brine clutch. There are a lot of good heads in the market so just do some research.

As for shafts, i would suggest a warrior krypolite. Its not too expensive and is light yet pretty durable. hope this helps a little.

interceptorMR2
03-22-2008, 08:33 AM
yeah my friend has a kryptolite, that thing is sick, i like the weight of it, i have an STX al6000 and its ridiculously light and easy to bend up. my head is an stx av8, so theres nothing special. ill check out those heads, Ive heard of the evo, ill have to read some reviews on them soon. thanks for the help guys

timmyshoota
03-22-2008, 08:54 AM
I have a Warrior Kryptolite shaft. I've had it for 7 years, and its still great. Light, strong, and not a bad price.

There's a good chance none of those heads are even made anymore, which is sad. Warrior makes some awesome offset heads, but my experiences have been bad. I went through 4 Evolutions, and my teammate went through 3 Evolutions and 4 Revolutions.

IMO you don't want a stick with a lot of whip. I used to set my heads up with a balance between whip and release. I obviously wanted something with a decent amount of whip playing attack, but I also wanted quick release for shooting. I found my happy medium. I really miss lacrosse. If I didn't have so much other stuff going on, I'd join the adult league we have locally.

I could possibly part ways with one of my sticks too. I've got one of the STX shafts that is comparable to the Warrior Platinum shaft, and a few heads.

badlandsrox
03-22-2008, 10:03 AM
ok, so i took a look at mine , and low and behold it still has the name on it. Anyway, its an brine ignite team canada edition special edition. the head is the same too, except its just a normal ignite head custom stringed.

xtraking
03-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Nobody does high school lacrosse like Loyola Blakefield :p

I don't really know to much about lacrosse, but have fun anyways!

Timmyshoota(Chris) knows a thing or two.

interceptorMR2
03-24-2008, 08:18 AM
yeah my school is only on its 3rd year with lacrosse, and its kind of surprising how far we've gotten since 2/3 of the years was directed by only one teacher who started it. Its pretty cool, the budget gets in the way, but hopefully we will be a school funded team soon and not a club...

leed
03-24-2008, 12:21 PM
I have a Warrior Kryptolite shaft. I've had it for 7 years, and its still great. Light, strong, and not a bad price.

There's a good chance none of those heads are even made anymore, which is sad. Warrior makes some awesome offset heads, but my experiences have been bad. I went through 4 Evolutions, and my teammate went through 3 Evolutions and 4 Revolutions.

IMO you don't want a stick with a lot of whip. I used to set my heads up with a balance between whip and release. I obviously wanted something with a decent amount of whip playing attack, but I also wanted quick release for shooting. I found my happy medium. I really miss lacrosse. If I didn't have so much other stuff going on, I'd join the adult league we have locally.

I could possibly part ways with one of my sticks too. I've got one of the STX shafts that is comparable to the Warrior Platinum shaft, and a few heads.

Listen to the man. The Warrior Kryptolytes (Equivalent to the old Brine F22, now called something else, but it's made of C405 aluminium) are very popular shafts. They can take a beating (they may dent, but they don't bend), very light, and the shape of the shaft is by far one of the most comfortable things to hold (with or without gloves).
As for a head, I've used the Brine Edge, STX Proton, Brine Matrix (old version), Brine Matrix (new version), Brine Answer, Warrior Evolution 2.0, STX X2+. The Edge was by far the widest, so I pinched it, and it was magic, of course, until someone stole it. The STX Proton, a bit more pinched than the Edge, was made of stiff plastic, and had an amazing feel. The Matrices I had were the most amazing things I ever used, especially for face-offs, they were flexible as mess though, and they broke too easily, but the tapered pinch was a brilliant idea. The Brine Answer, is by far the most favorite of all the heads I used. It was extremely light, was rigid yet flexible, provided excellent control, and endless stringing possibilities, its pinch was perfect. The STX X2+ was a little on the heavy side, and stiffer than the Edge. Also a wide head. I pinched it, and it was iffy for me, I could never get used to the feel. The Warrior Evo 2.0 is my second favorite, and my current. I've put this *** through a tough beating, and it is perfect. Not too heavy, not too flexible, not fragile, and it's pinched well enough.
Of all the companies, I think Brine has the best feel for the offsets, but the materials they use are soft and highly prone to breaking (in my experience, I'm not sure about now). Beyond that, my opinion goes for Warrior. Despite the fact that Chris has had some bad experience with them, a lot of the guys I know use them without too much problem, and we are in a damn tough league.

Like Chris said, avoid a stick with a lot of whip. Having a lot of whip hurts you in throwing, you won't be able to make a strong straight pass, and you won't be able to follow through on your shots or passes, meaning you won't be able to put full power into your shots or passes, which is why your passes will be short.
I started lacrosse with a lot of whip on my first game-play stick (Matrix with an F10) and I was pretty good with it, but when I got a new head after running through 2 Matrices, I found out how much easier everything was without so much whip. Easier in a sense that I could put much more power behind everything. Holding the ball was not too difficult to get used to, but I could have done without it.
A lot of how much whip you have has to do with pocket placement, the farther up your pocket is, the more whip you have. I have consistently played every position other than goalie. Playing middie and attack, I found the best pocket placement was in the middle of the head. In other words, the ball, when the stick is horizontal, sits naturally in that position. It also has to do with the mesh, I almost always use medium mesh (Warrior Mesh is by far the best when it is brand new, as it is not super heavy like most, but it also does not wear very much). Anyways.. I am not playing lacrosse this year, and I miss it a whole lot, but I have a job, and am spending a lot more time and money in paintball.

ross * pilot
03-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Warrior mesh? ive never heard of it. Generally, well here in PA anyways, the mesh is either 5 Diamond all the way up to the 10 Diamond mesh. There is also mesh like monster mesh or fresh mesh. There are other different stringing patterns like traditional (which includes leather bands).

leed
03-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Well, it's not "Warrior mesh" it's just mesh made/sold by the company. I like it, it's just my opinion though. I can't stand 5 diamond or Monster Mesh. Fresh mesh is amazing.

If you go with traditional stringing, soak your leather runners in some oil, as it will keep them water repellent, and will prevent them from drying out and shrinking should it get wet. Traditional is amazing, until it gets wet, is all.

timmyshoota
03-25-2008, 06:18 PM
I <3 traditional, but none of the my sticks are because of the weather here in lacrosse season. I never did soak the leathers, so my pocket would blow monkeys after one rain day.

I have one monster mesh, the rest are all hard mesh. Hard mesh = secks. The original Proton head was definitely an amazing head. I had it on my D stick until it got beat straight on one side and was useless for passing. God this thread makes me miss lacrosse so much.