PDA

View Full Version : What kind of job do you work at?

UKwithPride
03-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Well, simple question in the title lol. I'm coming off of disability soon (FINALLY.) And I REALLY don't want to go back to making pizzas... Just wondering what kind of jobs you guys have, what you do in that job, and how you like it. Post it up!

timmyshoota
03-18-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm an Assistant Service Manager at a Toyota dealership. In other words, I'm a service writer. I've only been doing it for a couple months now, but I'm enjoying it. Its got its ups and downs, and the stress from customers isn't fun, but I still like where I work, and the people I work with.

Critical
03-18-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm a territory representative for one of the national wireless carriers. I get to drive all over my area and make sure that the stores are priced/displayed correctly and that they know what they're talking about when it comes to the products and services we offer, as well as customer service and off-site training.

DFSniper
03-18-2008, 06:26 PM
i work at mcdonald's, usually 28-30 hrs a week after school and sundays. i'm usually either toasting buns or cooking/frying meat. its minimum wage and it sucks, but it pays for gas, insurance and the occasional paintball. whats pissing me off is that i let it slip that i was on spring break, so one of my managers is like "great! you can work 7-3 this week!" so i have to wake up at 5:30 every day except for saturday. and if they change my schedule one more time this week, and especially if they try to make me work saturday, which i've already planned as a day at the field, i think i'm going to quit. minimum wage isnt worth listening to women with menopause causing more drama than high school. its just so hard to find jobs around here. :(

QAZ123
03-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Warehouse manager. Manage 10 people and about 3 million dollars in inventory. I like it. Still in school but won't be quitting my job when I graduate.

JB.

STRIKEFIRST
03-18-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm a "dancer".

J/K!!

I am and "Engineering Technician" an Engineer without a 4 year degree.

Pray for my old ass back in school...:( $15k more a year with degree.

Drefish99
03-18-2008, 06:35 PM
Head cashier at Burger King. Pay isn't that great but I get to take home food for the kids and the wife. They really like the spicy chicken crisp so it saves me on money. This is only temporary. I am aiming to move up to assistant manager one day.

kramernator
03-18-2008, 06:38 PM
i live on a dairy farm, and have my whole life. i have two older brothers but one is at college and the other has his own life now, so its me and my dad. we have about 70 cows to milk and about 60 other ones to feed. plus 700 acres of fields to take care of. but my one bother is home for the summer, but still thats a lot. I have to get up about 7 every morning, honestly i have slept in past 7 about 6 times in the past year, not counting when i was sick. but its not so bad considering that i can do anything i want since i have no neighbors, sometimes i air up my gun and walk around shooting sparrows for target practice.

Jegger24
03-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Public Servant. LOVE IT... most of the time.... it definitely has its ups and downs. The spectrum on what I / we do is endless.

Hoppy11
03-18-2008, 06:40 PM
I am a manager at a Country Club during the summer. I work in what we call the Rack Room because it is where all the memebers clubs are stored (on racks...). I look over about 15-18 people with a friend of mine and it is a great summer job even though you probably won't get hired into my position but I started as just a worker that I look over now and it was still a great job. We deal with all of the set up, carts, tee times, keeping the range full of balls, picking the range, setting up and taking down outing and leagues.. basically if the club didn't have us it wouldn't function and Im not trying to boost my ego.. even my boss says it. Which is why we get yelled at quite a bit because the stuck up members expect so much. One of the great benefits of working at a golf course is that you get free golf :) .. normally.

chubb0rz
03-18-2008, 06:41 PM
I run a Digital Printing Press. No it's not an inkjet ;) I mostly just sit at work wondering around ebay or various forums till work comes. Then on the weekends I work at a Reball Field as a Tech. That has some good benefits, like free playing and good deals on guns but new and used.

03-18-2008, 06:55 PM
I work at sports authority
I do very little real work
I help about 5 customers a day :)

Ace24
03-18-2008, 07:58 PM
sometimes i air up my gun and walk around shooting sparrows for target practice.

Thats mean...

I work at N'Vasion Paintball and am a head ref. I work there twice a weekend, pulling in 12-20 hours a week (on average). It's not at all an easy job. We were just recently put on payroll. Basically, we have to be on our feet for 10 hours each day. We get one meal break that we can sit down during (but there are no chairs to sit on... the players usually take them) and eat, but hardly any of us do it.

Basically my day consists of calling out players to the field, splitting up teams, starting/stopping/timing the games, chronograph guns, field teching guns, and keeping the field ref's doing what they're suppose to be doing between and during games. After the field closes, we have to push all the paintballs off the Astroturf, move all the Sup Airball bunkers to one half of the field, wipe the bunkers free of spray and paint, box up the balls that we've pushed into piles, vacuum the ENTIRE field, place the filled boxes at the end of the field against the wall, then setup the bunkers in a mirrored fashion for the next open play. We get good benefits... and thats the only reason I'm able to pay for paintball right now.

My second job is a photographer/photographers assistant for Alwyn Studios. My dad is a professional photographer and I help him out at weddings, bar-mitzvahs, and sports events that we are hired out to. It's a lot of fun and brings in a good amount of money. I only have to work it one day and I make $75+ on a 6-10 hour day. There is free food, we (well I) get a lot of breaks, fun people to talk to, and you get to see a lot of different cultures. I love it. The only draw-back is that it only runs from spring till the fall. Heaviest in the summer. :(

colonel_moo
03-18-2008, 09:19 PM
I work at my school's Alumni house... its a work/study job, so basically i do my homework for 8:50 an hour or occasionally prepare a mailing or look up a list of people in the database. Its a pretty sweet gig, since can only work a few hours a week because of class and my crippling workload as an engineering student.

Moe
03-19-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm currently doing a whole bunch of random crap until I can get an apprenticeship as an electrician. These random craps include:

-Production line worker in a plant that makes a powdered milk replacer for calfs

-***** for my dad with his little mini business buying bad powdered milk products, sifting out the junk, re bagging, and reselling. I guess it doesn't really have a name. He makes about 5k a truck load, so I make bank helping him out.

-When the weather clears up I am going to be raising pigs on our farm land.

-Sell drugs. :maybedodgy:

-Help my dad and uncles sell junk on ebay and craigslist. It's always fun helping technology-illiterate farmers with the internetz.

It's not a bad life. I can usually rake in anywhere between 150-200 a day. I usually have work 4-5 days a week.

SpyderMan723
03-19-2008, 03:44 AM
I was a peon at a ski resort/snow tube park over the febuary vacation..

worked 8 str8 days and made some decent coin.. about 500

Solar
03-19-2008, 03:53 AM
Structural Engineer. We design bridges. Just got done doing the substrucuture for the new pedestrian bridge at yankee stadium. Now we are working on a retrofit for the "weeks" bridge at harvard university.

I really like engineering but i'm still the low man on the totem poll so I get all the jobs no one wants to do plus we are really slow right now so its kind of boring.

glaman5266
03-19-2008, 05:00 AM
McCain Foods USA (Plover, WI plant), first or second largest (can't remember) potato processing plant in the world. I work on the main dock, tipping back trailers and pumping taters into the main plant. But I usually do cleanup- wherever there's a mess I squeegee/rake/shovel it up. 12 hour shifts, 6-6 overnight, 3-4 nights a week. I get a heck of a workout. :D

I also do the dry ingredient mix for the specialty lines when the main guy can't come in. Basically vacuum-pumping the salt, sugars, flavorings, etc. for the specialty potato products like ovals, tri-patties, etc.

It's slow right now- running out of raw product. But during harvest we are capable of cranking out 1 million pounds of product in a 12 hour shift, start to finish in the AmeriCold freezers. Makes for insane nights in the fall.

bamf-hacker
03-19-2008, 05:19 AM
Lead Network Engineer.

A.K.A Head Tech Weenie :)

vikingshadow
03-19-2008, 06:00 AM
Teacher. Shape minds, build futures (at least I hope I do!)

A.K.A. Head Mind Weenie :)

Muddytaco
03-19-2008, 10:43 AM
I was a male stripper up until I got fired, they said I was just to good.

Just got hired as an assistant photographer today :yay: :jump: :thewave:

Basically I will be be getting everything setup and doing the photoshop work for now with promotion to photographer once I get to know there cameras better. Damn cannon EOS has a ton of adjustments.

cyberthrasher_706
03-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Trained as a Network Admininstator
currently working as a pc tech since I just got my foot in the door at CSC. I'm still finishing up my general ed in school though so this is ok for now.

leed
03-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Head tech and Keyholder for Paintball Central Durham. Pretty straight forward.

Prior to that, in the Summer, I worked as a data enterer for OBGYN on a Research Project. Not a fun job. Simple, but very tedious and boring.

Ace24
03-19-2008, 12:40 PM
I was a male stripper up until I got fired, they said I was just to good.

Just got hired as an assistant photographer today :yay: :jump: :thewave:

Basically I will be be getting everything setup and doing the photoshop work for now with promotion to photographer once I get to know there cameras better. Damn cannon EOS has a ton of adjustments.

Welcome to my world

DFSniper
03-19-2008, 12:56 PM
at least you guys are heading down a career path! until i get my mech. engineering degree, i'll most likely have trouble finding a good job that fits my school schedule.

king-man
03-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Get a easy job like me, eBay, you can use it if your single or for spare cash on the side depending on how big you do it. I only sell 3 items but make around $1800-$2600, last month i made $3100 but that was a temporary thing because the mining hats that i sell are going low and i have to save them and not sell them in bulk. i would send you a link but im just looked and im obvously out of stock on everything, that aint good

Hoppy11
03-19-2008, 01:57 PM
at least you guys are heading down a career path! until i get my mech. engineering degree, i'll most likely have trouble finding a good job that fits my school schedule.

Look for internships. This is what I am going to be doing for architecture next year. Firms know that you are still in school and are willing to work around you school scedule. I am going to be working and going to school next year. Hopefully only working around 15 hours a week though. Won't be awesome money but the experience is more important than the hourly wages.

mr1 sniper
03-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Trained as a Network Admininstator
currently working as a pc tech since I just got my foot in the door at CSC. I'm still finishing up my general ed in school though so this is ok for now.

im only 14 so kinda thinking about where i want to be in the future and this is one of the things i've looked at. how do you like it

KingTutBaller
03-19-2008, 05:17 PM
I work at Prysmian Cables, we make cable and lots of it. Reels vary in size, some are 9 feet high and the diameter of the cable can go upwards of 3 or 4 inches in some cases. Check out the price of copper, and multiply that by 6 pounds a foot, and see how expensive it gets after a few kilometers, then times that by the hundreds of reels we process a week! Pretty dirty job, work 12 hour shifts, alternating days/night shifts between days off... 36, 48, or more hours a week (overtime could get nasty with no sleep!) Watching, maintaining and running several machines throughout the day.
I also do recordings for bands on budgets, demo cds and what not. Going back to school this fall when I'm not at work to get a base degree and then possibly the year after i'll take the music thing to the next level.

DFSniper
03-19-2008, 05:51 PM
a close friend of mine is going to IPR in minnesota for music recording.

Look for internships. This is what I am going to be doing for architecture next year. Firms know that you are still in school and are willing to work around you school scedule. I am going to be working and going to school next year. Hopefully only working around 15 hours a week though. Won't be awesome money but the experience is more important than the hourly wages.

thats what im considering right now, but i'm at a community college right now, and plan on transferring out of state in the next year or two, so i'll probably look at internships when i decide where i want to go.

oldironmudder
03-19-2008, 06:25 PM
I am head grease monkey for a small trucking company. Im underpaid, work on junk trucks & trailer with junk tools. I like it most of the time, the rest of the time, Donnie(owner's son/manager) isnt worth a crap & doesnt help a bit.

Well, since Oct. I have cut over the road costs alot, other than a few wheel seals (Donnies fault).

Oh ya, think about this, I hold alot of peoples lives in my hands......... 80,000 lbs truck @ 65mph + small car = :(

Hoppy11
03-20-2008, 07:53 AM
thats what im considering right now, but i'm at a community college right now, and plan on transferring out of state in the next year or two, so i'll probably look at internships when i decide where i want to go.

Defiantly do more than consider it. Especially being an engineer you will have tons of opportunity. But you are right and should probably wait until you transfer. Another word of wisdom (maybe..?? ;) ) I would try using websites like monstertrack.com and there are others out there. Companies use these sites more than you would think, especially if you will be in a bigger city.

TheRedBarron
03-20-2008, 08:28 AM
I do a lot of sitting around, some serious sleeping, every now and then I turn on the TV but I spend most of my day playing flash games online, and surfing around numerous forums, sometimes I get up to get food but most of the time I just have my secretary bring it to me. I <3 Gov jobs.

VS3 Sniper
03-20-2008, 09:00 AM
^ lol what do u do barron?

irishwarrior
03-20-2008, 09:51 AM
I do a lot of sitting around, some serious sleeping, every now and then I turn on the TV but I spend most of my day playing flash games online, and surfing around numerous forums, sometimes I get up to get food but most of the time I just have my secretary bring it to me. I <3 Gov jobs.

Are you a member of the Desk Force aka the USAF, lol?

vikingshadow
03-20-2008, 09:55 AM
He's the co-founder of the Intranet - he's the dude that makes sure Algore gets his money...

DFSniper
03-20-2008, 11:23 AM

not exactly sure (social worker??), but IIRC, he has a masters in psychology.

cyberthrasher_706
03-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Hey mr1 sniper, I love it. I know there's been alot of fields that say there will always be a need but network analysis is so broad there's always something new to specialize in. Right now I'm trying to focus on VOIP and Wireless, with a touch of security. I've always been a hands on kind of guy figuring out why things work and wires are a great hobby of mine so it fits me perfect. Sometimes the fields kind of stressful, like the fact that we have a deadline that passed Feb 28th and we just started the deployment process Tuesday (not our fault, nurses are slow) but all in all it's fun. Just gotta be willing to spend your life studying new technologies to stay up on the game.

DFSniper
03-20-2008, 11:34 AM
wireless?? maybe you can help me figure out why my wireless card randomly disables, but still runs for a while (like right now!)!?!?

Hoppy11
03-20-2008, 11:38 AM

If he tells you, he will have to kill you.

battlechaser
03-20-2008, 12:24 PM
I'm an MECP (Mobile Electronics Certified Professionals) certified Installer, I generally take random boxes of wires and stuff them under your dash, normally with one these results.

1) Your car starts with the magic button on your key chain
2) Your car locks and unlocks with the magic button on your key chain
3) Your car starts/locks/unlocks/makes high pitched squeals when some idiot f's with it with the magic button on your key chain

It'd be better if the company I worked for wasn't mobile, but having a company truck isn't bad..

jkersh
03-20-2008, 06:29 PM
My job is split into half's. The first part of the day I am the System Administrator for the school District. The second half of the day I teach a computer class.

DFSniper
03-20-2008, 06:36 PM
we had a really cool IT/networking guy at school that was a certified history teacher. he kept telling us about how he was overqualified for the job, but the school system really needed him.