PDA

View Full Version : I'm heading to Germany...

MVS1
03-18-2008, 06:48 PM
I finally got the official word today that I'm being transferred to Germany. I'll be there by the end of June. I'd been waiting to hear if I had been selected for the job for the last week and finally got the word today. The job is going to be awesome, it will entail a lot of traveling all over Europe, so if anybody knows of any really cool places to play paintball over there let me know.

timmyshoota
03-18-2008, 06:52 PM
DFSniper's dad was stationed in Germany for awhile, so hopefully he'll chime in.

I'm hoping to take a vacation to Germany next year with a bunch of my friends.

DFSniper
03-18-2008, 07:05 PM
right behind ya! :D

First things first, check out the Europe section on PBN. there are a lot of rules and regulations on bringing gear (mainly markers) to germany, since they're almost considered firearms. i wont go into detail here because they've pretty much got it down to the letter.

so where are you going to be stationed at? i know a lot of american fields south of frankfurt, and a few german ones.

MVS1
03-18-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm going to be at Kapaun, just east of Ramstein. I'll take a look at the rules and such, I also have to find out if I can bring some of my firearms over there, if not then I'll have to take them to my brothers for storage while I'm over there (which would suck!), plus I have to decide on which SUV I'm taking with me, the one I love that costs a small fortune to feed gas or the other one that I hate.

DFSniper
03-18-2008, 08:57 PM
its too much of a hassle to bring firearms over. you're not even allowed to keep them in your house. one of my mom's friend's husband got approval for a stationary gun case (bolted to the concrete wall and floor like crazy!) after spending $2000 on a german hunting license, and he was the only one allowed to handle those keys. when he was deployed, their basement flodded and his wife had to call the MPs to get his guns and take them to the station because she wasnt allowed to touch them. my dad had to leave 3 bows, 2 rifles, a shotgun, a muzzleloader, a pistol, and all his ammo boxes of .45 and AR15 ammo at his moms for the 3 years we were in germany.

VS3 Sniper
03-18-2008, 09:27 PM
So how long are u gonna be over there?

MVS1
03-18-2008, 10:50 PM
its too much of a hassle to bring firearms over. you're not even allowed to keep them in your house. one of my mom's friend's husband got approval for a stationary gun case (bolted to the concrete wall and floor like crazy!) after spending $2000 on a german hunting license, and he was the only one allowed to handle those keys. when he was deployed, their basement flodded and his wife had to call the MPs to get his guns and take them to the station because she wasnt allowed to touch them. my dad had to leave 3 bows, 2 rifles, a shotgun, a muzzleloader, a pistol, and all his ammo boxes of .45 and AR15 ammo at his moms for the 3 years we were in germany.
Yeah it's not looking good for the guns, and unless I can find someplace to get a "legit" F stamp for my markers I might be screwed there as well.

So how long are u gonna be over there?
2 years minimum, most likely 3 years. It'll be cool because we'll have lots of opportunities to travel Europe while we're there.

irishwarrior
03-19-2008, 06:30 AM
DON'T bring the gas-guzzler!!!!! In Europe gas is a lot more expensive, usually around €1-2 a LITER. Are you getting paid in Euros or Dollars? If you can ask to be paid in Euros.

MVS1
03-19-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm in the AF, uncle sam pays his employees in USD regardless of where there at, although getting my same pay just put a EURO symbol in front of it instead of a $ sign would be real nice :D. And as for gas, it's cheaper over at Ramstein (on-base) for gas ($3.21 vs. $3.61 on base here), and I really like my Suburban. I'll probably pick up a cheap, gas-sippin POS once I get over there.

DFSniper
03-19-2008, 12:40 PM
my dad got a '91 (or was it '92?) BMW 750i for $700 from a guy that was PCSing back to the states. that was an awesome car! :D but yeah, there are plenty of older golf's and BMWs around for cheap. my cousin got a late 90s A3 for her first car, and i was a little jealous :(

interceptorMR2
03-19-2008, 05:54 PM
FYI germany is great, I have been to Frankfurt, Munich, and Rothenberg (little tiny medieval tourist town southeast of frankfurt i think). Theres TONS to do in Munich, wish i could have stayed longer.

irishwarrior
03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
Bayern-munchen Ftmfw!!!

DFSniper
03-19-2008, 06:55 PM
interceptor, rothenburg is like the coolest little town ever, i've been there a few times. if anyone ever goes, make sure you take the night watchman's tour and check out the torture museum! the town layout itself reminds me of the perfect german town, and i think thats what i miss most about germany. you can walk everywhere and theres always streets full of medieval buildings. IMO germany's towns/cities are better than american cities.

TheDarkShadow
03-19-2008, 07:09 PM
sounds cool, suburban ftw

Hossy
03-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Good luck over there buddy!

I drive a tahoe, so i know how you like the Suburban!

irishwarrior
03-20-2008, 06:04 AM
Found a list of German paintball fields go here (http://rap4.com/paintball/field/searchbykeyword.php?keyword=Germany)

DFSniper
03-20-2008, 12:26 PM
the Cal 68, Stuttgart, and Vogelweh fields are all MWR-run, not sure about the others. have you checked out the sticky i made in the Europe section on field listings?

MVS1
03-20-2008, 12:40 PM
the Cal 68, Stuttgart, and Vogelweh fields are all MWR-run, not sure about the others. have you checked out the sticky i made in the Europe section on field listings?
Yep, which is cool because I'll be in the vicinity of Vogelweh. I also read up on the "F" stamp and right now Bob Moon from FMA is talking to the Germany Angel tech/rep to see if he can help me get my markers hooked up as well as some old friends of his that work in Germany Customs office. Worst case I just dis-assemble the markers, have my brother mail them to me in seperate boxes and then get one of the local PB shops to hook me up. As long as the markers are in pieces and mailed to me at an APO/FPO address they can't nail me on anything (from what I have been able to gather) unless I try and use them w/o the stamp.

DFSniper
03-20-2008, 01:08 PM
cool. and yeah, that last part sounds pretty much right. if all else falls through, contact www.maxs-sport.de and see if they can do anything. they're one of the largest chain/online stores in europe, and have a pretty decent sized tech shop. they might be able to get it legalized if you send it to them. their main store is located right next to the old friedberg barracks (where my dad was stationed at, but it closed in september) and they deal a lot with americans. some of their guys play on frankfurt syndicate, which is a european D1 team.

interceptorMR2
03-21-2008, 07:41 AM
interceptor, rothenburg is like the coolest little town ever, i've been there a few times. if anyone ever goes, make sure you take the night watchman's tour and check out the torture museum! the town layout itself reminds me of the perfect german town, and i think thats what i miss most about germany. you can walk everywhere and theres always streets full of medieval buildings. IMO germany's towns/cities are better than american cities.

oh i know, that place makes me super happy lol. Its so cool cause its got alot of history in it, plus the criminal museum was pretty insane too. that museum has a lot of scary stuff in it...