PDA

View Full Version : Co2 fill station problem

Protan
03-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Hey guys, im having a problem with my fill station that I own with my friends. I have been filling my tanks regularly but one day it just stopped working. Im doing everything im supposed to. (Opening right valves, chilling the tank etc.) The problem is that im getting only such a tiny amount in a tank each time. I tryed to fill a 20 oz and it only gave me like 2 or 3 oz before I couldnt put anymore in. (This was when I was trying to chill the tank). I think its a problem with the fill station but im not sure. I dont think the tank is empty because is just stopped suddenly, and we havent filled that many tanks yet. Anyways what do you guys think?

Thanks for the help.

MVS1
03-18-2008, 06:52 PM
How big is your main Co2 tank, 80 cu. ft. or 120 cu.ft? How many fills have you done already? Did you try opening the valve with no bottle attached to see if you get a steady flow of Co2 (grey misty cloud) or just gas? Does your main tank have a siphon tube?

davmitchell77
03-18-2008, 06:54 PM
it could be the siphon (dip) tube inside your bulk tank is cracked or broken, letting you get a little liquid (maybe) and mostly gas.
a friend of mine had the tube crack at the bottom of the valve, and his fills were about the same as you described. we took it to the welding shop, and the guy showed us an empty dissassembled tank that had done the same thing. interesting, but useless for paintball.

Kenny_McCormic
03-18-2008, 08:45 PM
VERY CAREFULLY lay the tank on its side and try again, that will tell you if its siphon related and let you use 1/2 of the tank.

Protan
03-20-2008, 08:25 PM
I have checked and it does give a steady flow if I open the valves. Im not sure if its 80cu ft or 120, but I know its a 4ft tank. Ill try laying the tank on its side and see what happens. I rent the tank for $75 a year, does that mean if the siphon tube is broken that im going to have to pay for the damage? I didnt do anything abnormal.

davmitchell77
03-21-2008, 07:25 PM
nah, you shouldnt have to. liquid co2 freezes things, albeit not completely like n2 or o2, and the tubes can become brittle. its normally considered a "wear and tear" type of thing, at least with the guys ive dealt with.

oldironmudder
03-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Have you dumped all the Co2 out of the tank before you filled it?

timbertiger20
03-22-2008, 08:02 AM
I'd guess you out........typically when you are out you can only put 2-3 oz in the tank. It is fairly abrupt so you will probably get full fills and then all of a sudden a 2-3 oz fill. Unfortunately without investing in a CO2 pump........you can loose up to 10% of your CO2 to waste :(

Protan
03-29-2008, 07:53 AM
Yes I obviously dumped all the co2 out. Im not an idiot, I have filled the tanks many times before. Yesterday I layed the tank on its side and im still getting the same problem. I still wasnt getting any co2 into the gun. Im thinking that there could be a problem with the bottle adapter. I know that with my fill station you cant tighten it all the way or no co2 can get in. You have to loosen it just a tiny bit from being all the way on. But I feel like its not working properly and I want to replace it to see if it will work. I called the local paintball shops but they dont carry that part. So im not sure what I should do.

Part of me feels like im only getting gas out of the tank and not actual co2. Whenever I bled the tank to see if any co2 was comming out, I didnt actually see any white substance to it, just sort of like cold high pressure air. Does that mean it could be the dip tube?

Well let me know what you guys think?

timbertiger20
03-29-2008, 08:20 AM
You don't have to dump all of the CO2 out anyway.........we have some of ours marker for dead empty weight on the brass valve and I do partial fills all the time! The biggest thing is to make sure it's cold! Otherwise........I'd say your empty! We used 3-75 lb tanks last week :(

tumtum00
03-29-2008, 12:44 PM
just get a new tank and go from there, it isn't that difficult to figure out, if the pressure is equal in both tanks it will not fill, unless you have a co2 pump.

Protan
04-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Ok guys so the tank isnt giving me any substance, just gas. What does this mean? I checked and even put my hand up to the nosle to see if it was cold, but it wasnt. There was no grey misty when I was just blowing it out of the tank. Does that mean the tank is empty? Seem's way to fast to have gone through a whole tank already.

tumtum00
04-13-2008, 05:49 AM
that probably means that your dip tube is broken off, or doesn't go to the bottom of the tank. there are two types of co2 tanks ones with dip tube or without, without is used for welding and can't have liquid co2 come out of it, so you either have the wrong tank or your dip tube is broken off.

Protan
04-13-2008, 03:10 PM
No, mine does have a dip tube. I have seen white substance come from it before. Well I guess I will just have to bring it in then. Thanks.

tumtum00
04-13-2008, 03:45 PM
No, mine does have a dip tube. I have seen white substance come from it before. Well I guess I will just have to bring it in then. Thanks.

yea, i had the same problem with my first tank I got around 12 fills of a 20 oz tanks and from there i got just got gas co2 from the tank they emptied the tank and put a new dip tube in it, the one that was in it had broken off about a quarter of the way down the tank and gas was coming out instead of liquid due to that thing called gravity. so if it isn't putting out liquid co2, the dip tube is defective or empty, no other options.

Protan
04-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Good news is I finally brought it in and its fixed. And I even got a free 50lb tank filled! sweet deal if you ask me. Thanks for all your help guys.