PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Tank Issue

tbenedict
03-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Hello,

I tried searching, but could not find the answer. I have an Xtra with a 12oz CO2 tank that has worked flawlessly until today. I emptied my tank yesterday and then had a licensed store fill it up. When I got the field, the tank would not release the CO2 into the gun. I tried a several times. A friend had a spare tank which worked fine. My pin valve sticks out just as far as his, so it had to be depressed far enough.

That was the first problem. The second was on the trip home, the pressure relief valve opened in the car (quite exciting) but it appears to have stayed open. Are these one time use valves?

The last issues is that I took the gun apart to clean it last night and noticed the bolt is worn and pitted in certain areas. Inside the gun appeared to have a rough place near where the hopper attaches as well. Is this normal? I have only run about a 1,000 balls through it so far.

Thanks for the help.

DFSniper
03-15-2008, 01:02 PM
sounds like some buildup in your valve caused it to burst. what happened in the car was the burst disk blowing off instead of then entire valve itself, which could have been deadly. take it to your local store, and they should be able to replace the entire valve for cheap (mine was like $8, including installation).

as for the gun, i know that after a while bolts will start to get wear in certain spots. the best thing to do is polish your internals. (go to www.ottersccustoms.com and check the spyder pages). im not sure about the feedneck problem. would it be possible to put up some pictures to help explain it a little better?

kramernator
03-15-2008, 03:01 PM
it he has the new extra then the bolt will be delrin, and polishing it won't help any, will it? but yeah, after the first case or so of paint the bolt will have wear spots on it, no big deal.

it may be a good idea to buy an extra tank for yourself anyway, just in case one of your friends don't have any spares when you run into trouble

tbenedict
03-22-2008, 07:24 AM
It's an aluminum bolt. I polished the burrs off with a little sandpaper. The gouging just seemed excessive for the limited amount of use.

The local shop replaced the burst valve and said to add a few drops of oil to the valve and connect it to the gun. I always thought a dry valve would leak instead of fail to open, but it seems to have worked.

DFSniper
03-22-2008, 09:01 AM
adding the oil will slick up the insides, allowing the pin to move better so it won't get stuck.

where on the bolt is the gouging?? on both of mine, they're on the top at the front, and on the side where the ball detent is, but that ones more of a scratch

xtraking
03-22-2008, 11:14 AM
1. Just get rid of the tank. Turn it into a local shop, or wherever they accept used tanks.
2. Get a new tank. If you tried to fix the old one it'd probably be cost more than a new one.
3. If there is wear on top of the bolt than that is completely normal. The reasoning for that wear is because when the gun is aired up, it pushes the front of the bolt up, so basically it "scrapes" the top with every shot. But again, no worries, it's completely normal and won't cause any harm.

-Dave

tumtum00
03-24-2008, 09:54 AM
1. Just get rid of the tank. Turn it into a local shop, or wherever they accept used tanks.
2. Get a new tank. If you tried to fix the old one it'd probably be cost more than a new one.
3. If there is wear on top of the bolt than that is completely normal. The reasoning for that wear is because when the gun is aired up, it pushes the front of the bolt up, so basically it "scrapes" the top with every shot. But again, no worries, it's completely normal and won't cause any harm.

-Dave

he got the tank fixed, no reason to turn it in, please read threads before posting.

bigred76
03-24-2008, 11:13 AM
TumTum... He did read the thread, and that's why he's saying what he said. It's about the same cost to buy a new valve and buy another 12oz. That's what he'd need to do. If he can turn it in to be properly recycled, that's better than tossing it into a land-fill.

I personally would not use a CO2 tank with a messed up valve. Too many things can go wrong that would end in disaster for me!

As for the bolt, yeah, it happens. Keep it oiled and clean, and it should last a long time.

tumtum00
03-24-2008, 11:31 AM
TumTum... He did read the thread, and that's why he's saying what he said. It's about the same cost to buy a new valve and buy another 12oz. That's what he'd need to do. If he can turn it in to be properly recycled, that's better than tossing it into a land-fill.

I personally would not use a CO2 tank with a messed up valve. Too many things can go wrong that would end in disaster for me!

As for the bolt, yeah, it happens. Keep it oiled and clean, and it should last a long time.

obviously not if i you read that the tank is working fine now, why would you tell him to throw it away, wow i guess you didn't read it either.

bigred76
03-24-2008, 12:04 PM
I read it, and read that the tank never did work at first. When he was bringing it home, the tank's disk burst.

Even with a couple of drops of oil, the issue WILL come back, guaranteed. It might not be the next time he plays or the time after, but I guarantee that it will. I wouldn't screw with it. I have a tank like that that I'm going to have to swap the valves from it and a tank that's about to go out of hydro for nearly the same reason. As soon as I discovered it, I stopped using the tank, and am waiting on the other tank's hydro to run out. THAT is how the issue with a CO2 tank valve's like this should be handled.

The best advice anyone here can offer him is to not trust that tank's valve AT ALL, and by telling him otherwise you are taking upon the responsibility for that tank failing, AND everyone else that sees that post with the same issue. Just keep that in mind when you post, please. ;)

xtraking
03-24-2008, 01:32 PM
he got the tank fixed, no reason to turn it in, please read threads before posting.

Oh, thank you sensei. I shall, follow by your example.

Give it a rest man.

Basically I meant what bigred was saying. Should not mess with something as dangerous as a tank. It will probably mess up again and even if it doesn't better be safe than sorry.

bigred76
03-24-2008, 01:49 PM
I got your back, Dave... Good to see you're still alive! :)