PDA

View Full Version : 2008: Year of the Zombie.

HelpDeskHustler
03-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Well, as you guys may or may not know, I'm a big video game player. I'm sure only some of you know this, but I'm also a very big zombie genre fan. I know a couple people on my buddy list know that I can predict a fun game (marv would argue just because he's marv though :dodgy:) I look into stuff that I might be able to get (which excludes PS3 at the moment, since I don't have one) Before I actually get to the meat and potatoes of this post I should probably clarify what kind of video game I like to play:

Multiplayer, team-based games with a lot of longevity. Coop is fun, but objective games with variation in the type of play is mainly all I need. Shooter, postmodern/Modern games are my favorite, but if done right any type of game will fit what I like. I don't like FPS games that leave you to fight alone. I hate playing alone. It bores me. Portals is an unusual one, but it's no exception.

I think computer AI is stupid and prefer not to play against it, but Humans are just as systematic and playing humans can be as boring too since everyone plays the same modes to death.

With all that being said: I'd like to introduce two of the games that excite me most this year:

Left 4 Dead (PC, Xbox 360) by Turtle Rock Studios (Now a member of Valve):
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/left4dead411/wallpapers/alley2-600.jpg
This game is extremely unique and It'll be difficult for me to explain WHY I'm so excited in a timely manner. The next post will be dedicated to this game, which Is said to be one of the most fun games that you will probably lose. MLG counterstrike players won 1/4 the time they played on the difficulty below hardest. This game is 4 human survivors vs. 4 special human zombies and torrents of normal AI zombies. More in the next post.

No More Room in Hell (PC only, Half Life 2 mod) by NMRIH Mod team
http://nomoreroominhell.com/images/screenshots/NMRiH_CityofDawn01.jpg
This game is by far the single most impressive mod I've ever seen for a game. The team prides themselves on realism and make every effort to make them game as real as a zombie attack would be(if it were real :dodgy:) The game has been in development for quite some time, but after I show you the awesome work they've done, I think the wait will be well justified. This game is crammed full of features and complexities and I'll explain it 2 posts from now, right after L4D.

HelpDeskHustler
03-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Left 4 Dead.

This game is a step above the rest when it comes to Co-op games, as one might hope for a game specifically set with the only mode being co-op/counter-op gameplay. Of the many things that set this game apart, I would say there are three main points that need to be made clear as to why this game is so spectacular:
1. The Teamwork
2. The Infected players
3. The "director"

Teamwork:
As I made note of in my previous post, this game is nearly impossible on its hardest setting. As a team, players have a shot to win, but as individuals, players will be rampaged and slaughtered consistently. The game is unlike others in that teamwork IS NOT optional. In other shooters, it may be harder for a bunch of 12 yearold rambos to win by simply killing more people, but in Left 4 Dead, your teammate is your savior. If you don't treat your teammate like that, there are quite a few reasons why you will be torn to bits. More about these reasons in "the director" section.

The Infected:
Many have played zombie games where AI controls a large mob of zombies, and with it's recent appearance as a mod mode in many games, people have also played PvP zombie modes. But Left 4 Dead goes beyond both. Left 4 Dead has 5 (4 playable) specialized zombies, with unique attacks which are played by counter-op humans or specialized individual AI's, but it also has a mob of normal, hit and bite zombies which are controlled by micro AI and "the director". While the normal zombie mobs and the Human Zombies individually are rather weak, the combination of the two creates a difficult opponent.
Humans can play as one of 4 zombies, but only a given number can occupy certain type at once:
The Hunter2-0 players at any given time.
The hunter is the fastest, most agile playable zombie in the game. The normal zombies run fast, but nothing compares to the hunter. The hunter is the biggest proponent of the often described "hit and run" tactics that human zombies will employ to win. The hunter is the only zombie who will regenerate health, and the only zombie who becomes extremely difficult to see when holding still. The tactic that should be used for the hunter is to pounce people directly to take them down, or to push people, in order to either throw them from a building, or push them towards danger such as imminent explosions or mobs of AI zombies.
The Smoker1-0 players at any given time
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/left4dead411/screenshots/smoker-sky.jpg
The smoker is one of the harder zombies to play as. His benefit how he looks rather similar to a normal zombie, making him less of a target. He employs a heavy "support" role from the billowing smoke that he's able to release, and make it impossible for survivors to see. His main attack is a very deadly one, but extremely time consuming and difficult to set up for/use properly. His main weapon is his tongue. He uses his 30 foot tongue to grab survivors and pull them to him. Sometimes this is simply used to pull a survivor away from others and towards zombies, other times if used from above, survivors can be strangled and hung from the tongue in order to kill the directly, over a longer period of time. When the smoker dies, his body releases a cloud of smoke just like his support attack.
The Boomer1-0 players at any give time.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/left4dead411/screenshots/boomer-subway.jpg
The boomer is slow, fat and extremely noticable. The boomer's is probably the most offensive character that a player will always have the option of choosing, he is very much a "suicide bomber" per say. The boomer can vomit blood at targets which will blind them temporarily and cause a swarm of zombies to spawn nearby and attack the blinded opponents. His secondary attack is himself. When he dies, he explodes violently, due to the methane gas built up in him, causing any immediate players to take a ton of damage.
The Tank0,1,2. 0 Most of the game. The tank will come available at certain portions and prompt players to play as him. At the end, 2 become available in the "last stand" while survivors hold for rescue.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/left4dead411/screenshots/tank-charge.jpg
The tank is huge. He's the offensive choice, but is only available sometimes. He takes nearly 4 times the damage any other special zombie takes. He can break down doors, certain walls in one hit. He can throw chunks of earth, cars and tons of other things at players and kills with only a few hits. The downfall of the tank is how obvious he is. He's only kind of fast, not as slow as the boomer, but slower than normal zombies and he makes a TON of noise with the loud steps and grunts and smashing. Also if you aren't close enough to the humans a frustration timer will begin, and if you run out of time by being to far away, you'll lose control of the tank.
The witchunplayable 1 on map
The witch is very bipolar, making her extremely scary. It's extremely anti-offensive, and will not attack most of the time as she's writhing on the ground screaming eerily, but it is easily provoked by light, sound and vicinity characters and will snap nearly instantly and deliver a 1 hit KO to whomever annoyed it. While it's recharging it's main hit, it will run around, faster than any other zombie, jumping and screaming and hitting people with it's secondary hit until it can deliver another fatal blow. It's best to avoid the witch or kill her before provoking her accidentally.

The "director"
The director is the main selling point to why this game won't get old. The director takes a multitude of factors and then calculates how it should distribute zombies in order to make the game as hard as indicated, but without following a simple formula. If you select normal, it's possible for the director to single out certain people and hit them with hard quantities and arrangements of zombies while others have easy quantities of zombies. The "director" ensures that zombie placements aren't predictable and that people won't always know where they're coming from. The director also spawns counter-op zombies in front of players on the map in a place that will intercept where it thinks they are going. It prides itself on a system of "peaks and valleys" in order to make game play as intense as possible.

Here's a media link for Left 4 Dead. Their preview is very in depth:
http://left4dead411.com/

HelpDeskHustler
03-15-2008, 11:12 AM
This Post is reserved for my No More Room in Hell Preview. Feel free to post whatever you have to say about these games while I write these.

DFSniper
03-15-2008, 01:41 PM
wow, that actually looks really cool! and after reading World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide, well, lets just say i wouldnt find it odd to actually see people preparing for the zombie apocalypse. the first review looks really good, cant wait to see what the second game is like.

HelpDeskHustler
03-15-2008, 04:38 PM
My friends and I have a zombie survival plan, originally it was a joke... but we kept building on it and now it's really respectable (:dodgy:). If zombies hit, and you're south near I71, take it north into Ohio for uber sanctuary. We're fanatical about this stuff.

The second one I'll post about soon. I have like 10 programs and 2 essays due monday, then exams tuesday-thursday, so I'm bogged down. I don't really have time for another 10 min post. Maybe tonight on a break. I'll have it up soon though.

timmyshoota
03-16-2008, 10:28 AM
My friend had zombie paper targets he uses when he goes to the shooting range. While most people use targets that are al-quida or a guy with a hostage, he prepares to take down the real threat...Zombies.

DFSniper
03-16-2008, 11:23 AM
my friend told me a story about her and her roommate once:

Her: so what was your nightmare about?
Roommate: dead people that came to eat my brains.
Her: thats not a nightmare, zombies are a legit fear!

HelpDeskHustler
03-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Our survival plan is to go to lowes, and stop places on the way there. I'd Leave my house with my van and whatever I can find. I'd go to walmart, hoping people have already began panicing (assuming large zombie problem). Nobody thinks to barricade, everyone flees, highways get packed. I go for the hunting section and loot whatever I can (in this dire emergency, it's not immoral). I nab any small food goods that will stay preserved. Honey. Back into the car, to (censored sporting good store) (accross the street) Hit hunting once again. If it's winter I get coats too. ANYTHING i can get. mostly weapons. I go to lowes, I'm counting on nobody being there, my friends who live farther are on their way. I hold out with whomever gets there. When the mad rush is over we send a team accross the highway (probably stopped ATM) to the auto dealer and pick up a metric ****ton of gas and huge cars. We drive those back across the highway, intimidating people out of the way. We park the cars at the biggs next door to lowes at the loading dock and get EVERYTHING we can grab. Medicine is sufficiently looted from biggs. While all this is happening, team 2 is barricading lowes with the supplies there and setting up generators and defense mechanisms. Team 1 drops off a carload of loot, then while team 2 unloads the other cars, they take the empty car back to the childrens emergency room and loot the hardcore medical supplies, padlocks taken from lowes are placed on freezers holding what we think may be important (blood freezers at the blood center next door). We all head back to lowes, lock up and prepare for the night by making good sleeping enclosures, getting roof access and working on a walway system to go above the floor, on the shelves. We set a lookout schedule and post people on the roof with rifles. hopefully we'll have enough people to cover each direction with 2 people.

Night falls, little sleep is expected. we wake up and We make a parkinglot long journey to the matress warehouse and to Chevy's auto place to get sleeping accomodations. the vans become our sleeping quarters as they safely protect us, with interior locking capabilites. We begin to build secondary make shift weapons like potato guns and work our way to cars and gas stations to begin siphoning gas and stockpiling it in tanks we assemble or gain access to. From there on out we learn the zombies, send fairly large teams scavenging and rehit possible weapon locations, we build more defenses and attempt to wall off the lowes with concrete and fencing supplies from the lowes. Additional hardware may be sought from the homedepot, but it's distance of nearly a mile away may be too hazardous.

All of the previous has occured within a 2mile radius and is a fairly conservative estimate of how the first 2-5 days would be spent in event of a large zombie problem.

Our long run goal would be to prepare a convoy to move for Dayton Air Force Base, which would require us to go south for a circle highway, then north on 75 for approximately 1 hour at 60miles per hour. Delays would be expected, and I'd say it would take less than 4 hours to make the trip if we had enough big cars and the roads weren't blocked with stopped traffic. The closest commercial airport is south, meaning north probably wouldn't be very heavy. Not to mention north is a direction of less population, making zombie quantities much lower.

DFSniper
03-16-2008, 07:38 PM
i like your idea, but (i'm assuming you've read the Zombie Survival Guide) its faster to go on foot than by car, especially during mass breakouts. if you believe (as described in the books) that zombies are completely mindless, they'll be attracted to any sound and will mass in large numbers (although completely oblivious to one another). so unless you can barricade yourself in an armored car or find a porsche dealership, good luck making it out of the city via the main roads.

HelpDeskHustler
03-17-2008, 03:19 AM
It's more of a heavily populated suburban area. It's like where a lot of shopping areas converge and the closest highway ramp is.

irishwarrior
03-17-2008, 05:55 AM
The plan would only work if one assumes the undead can be killed by bullets, nice idea though. Also, see if there are any grocery stores and the like around and you can pick up some of the ingredients for nitroglycerin and gunpowder. With those you could make anything from mines to grenades to high-power explosives.

TheDarkShadow
03-17-2008, 07:22 PM
I live in the country on a farm, with over 12 guns in the house, plenty of supplies, I should be good, for a while

Ace24
03-17-2008, 09:50 PM
The plan would only work if one assumes the undead can be killed by bullets, nice idea though. Also, see if there are any grocery stores and the like around and you can pick up some of the ingredients for nitroglycerin and gunpowder. With those you could make anything from mines to grenades to high-power explosives.

Nitro... can't you make that with gas and packing beans?

HelpDeskHustler
03-18-2008, 05:54 AM
ahem. lets not start sharing recipes. :dodgy: I still haven't had the time to write about NMRIH.

vikingshadow
03-18-2008, 06:28 AM
I'm already safe. I'm a teacher and used to dealing with zombies...

paintballkid0206
03-18-2008, 08:01 AM
so both of these are for the PC...? aall i have other than my computer is a gamecube and they NEVER make any cool games for that

HelpDeskHustler
03-18-2008, 11:12 AM
You wrote that as if there are any games being made for gamecube. I'm pretty sure it was phased out already. But yes, they both come out for PC's capable of running half life 2 on a respectable setting. Left 4 Dead is a commercial multiplayer experience and is expected to be released along side something, similar to how portal or tf2 was bundled in the orange box. Their levels add up to be about an hour long if you stay moving at a 50% walk speed throughout the game (run, stop, shoot, run... etc.)

paintballkid0206
03-18-2008, 11:37 AM
i have a fairly slow computer (dial up, avg speed around 52 Kbps) i dont know if that speed will affect the game... these games look really cool and i was wondering how much they cost and some more details on each... if anyone can give me this info either reply here or pm me. thanks!

HelpDeskHustler
03-18-2008, 11:55 AM
I have no idea on pricing I would assume both to be less than 30 each, NMRIH may even be free as it's a mod game... but who knows. Dial up almost definitely won't work. I haven't heard of an FPS game that ran on dialup for over 7 years.

paintballkid0206
03-18-2008, 11:59 AM
I have no idea on pricing I would assume both to be less than 30 each, NMRIH may even be free as it's a mod game... but who knows. Dial up almost definitely won't work. I haven't heard of an FPS game that ran on dialup for over 7 years.

what's a mod game? i'm not into computer gaming that much so i dont know the termage. lol

LostCause
03-18-2008, 02:27 PM
means it modifies the orignal game into something else (look at Digtial Paintball, prolly the most influential paintball mod/game there is. and there are still working on the HL2 version)

DFSniper
03-18-2008, 03:09 PM
half life probably has the most mods out there of any game ive seen. at first, i didnt know Counterstrike was a HL mod. i thought it was an actual game based off the HL engine. for a really cool example of a mod, check out www.fsmod.com they basically took battlefield 2142 and turned it into a much better version of star wars battlefront (minus the AI/bots)

Ace24
03-18-2008, 03:11 PM
I'm already safe. I'm a teacher and used to dealing with zombies...

:lolsign:

HelpDeskHustler
03-19-2008, 03:50 AM
half life probably has the most mods out there of any game ive seen. at first, i didnt know Counterstrike was a HL mod. i thought it was an actual game based off the HL engine. It's both technically. They refer to it at a full conversion mod which means only the engine is used. Left 4 dead is the same thing. I would distinguish game from mod in that mods must have the original game to run, games can run independently, meaning the game has a licensed copy of source, since L4D is made by Turtle Rock, now owned by valve it's safe to assume they can release it on it's own, with a copy of the engine. NMRIH however, has had no contact with Valve and probably will release without the source included.