PDA

View Full Version : Just another hobby of mine...

druid
03-13-2008, 09:27 PM
I figured that since I play in a Kilt, I'd make some accent pieces to enhance my "look" in the field...lol.

Before:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/7eb1ba2d.jpg
and some 20+ hours later.........................
After:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/82e4dffc.jpg

Stitching:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/f6397992.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/50e40c5a.jpg

Triquetras:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/58d6381f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/37c08a01.jpg

On my arm:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/d03990c8.jpg

Before anyone says it, I don't care about any "bounce" factor on gear/equipment. I play that if I'm hit, I'm out and I don't dabble in semantics about it.

Now that that's been said~~~

For anyone not knowing what they are, they are called Vambraces (forearm guards). The Romans invented them (or so they claim) but they (or similar representations) were used by just about every primitive-to-ancient-to-current- fighting force(s) on the planet.

The Celts used an all-leather version (as I have made), hardened into armor by one of 2 ways: boiling them in water or soaking them in melted wax. Historians have held the widely accepted opinion that boiling water was the most likely form of hardening the leather. I have not done this because it makes the leather chaff the skin. Originals were often lined in lamb's wool or wool cloth and it was acceptable because of the climate normal to the region. Obviously, I don't need that here in PA.

A bit of history is that for some years now, I've dabbled in creating leather hunting accessories...knife sheaths, handgun holsters and possible bags for muzzle loading.

I just spent 20+ hours on them, everything done by hand. The longest (and most difficult) part was the sewing. Getting them in the proper arc of my forearm was a pain, even though I made patterns in cardboard.

The black outer layer is 10 oz leather and the brown accent pieces are 16 oz leather. There are 2 inner layers on each Bracer for padding/anti-chaffing and each of these layers are 6-8 oz upholstery-grade leather.

I was going to harden them into true "armor" by submerging them in boiling water but I decided they are too nice to risk the dyes bleeding into each other. Instead, I'll rub some conditioner into them and then a final layer of wax to protect them.

DFSniper
03-14-2008, 03:44 AM
so thats where you've been this whole time! can you make me some? :D those look really awesome.

MR2 Woodsballer
03-14-2008, 04:54 AM
Great craftsmanship Druid, very impressive!

marvin-martian
03-14-2008, 06:39 AM
i must admit, those look really nice. VERY good work.

shunut
03-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Very impressive, they look professionally done.

Ace24
03-14-2008, 08:31 AM
:Plays the Zelda theme music:

:Plays the Zelda "Item Found" music: *psst, raise it above your head and make them levitate*

Seriously though, you could make money making those for people.

TheRedBarron
03-14-2008, 09:56 AM

:Plays the Zelda "Item Found" music: *psst, raise it above your head and make them levitate*

20+ hours of work, I dont think he is going to want to let go of those for the price that many consumers are going to want them at. May be wrong though.

Nice work Druid they look great.

leed
03-14-2008, 10:14 AM
For the next time, use hot rosin instead of boiling water! It's what they use for Firemen hats.. But they let it dry for 8 weeks..

:tup: Looks very nice!

vwjimmy
03-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Sweet!
Very nice work!

MVS1
03-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Druid those look awesome, nice job....

bamf-hacker
03-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Druid they look very cool, and...........

I am proud of you not using a light colored font :)

irishwarrior
03-15-2008, 03:31 AM
Awesome work! I wish I had the skill to make those... Maybe consider doing a camo pattern on them.

druid
03-15-2008, 12:46 PM
so thats where you've been this whole time! can you make me some? :D those look really awesome.
Yep. Nope...lol. These took forever to make...lol. Thanks.
Great craftsmanship Druid, very impressive!
i must admit, those look really nice. VERY good work.
Very impressive, they look professionally done.
Sweet!
Very nice work!
Druid those look awesome, nice job....

Thank you sirs.

lol...and not really. Mass-produced (machine-made) Bracers and Greaves cost around $60 per set...more, depending on adornments. These take too long to make and then people might not be willing to pay more than ^^ for custom, hand-made stuff.
20+ hours of work, I dont think he is going to want to let go of those for the price that many consumers are going to want them at. May be wrong though.
Nice work Druid they look great.
No, you're pretty much on-target...lol. Like I responded to Ace, Vambraces and Greaves that are mass-produced and made on machines cost ~$150 for the complete set. Custom stuff is always more and there's not likely any kind of market for them. Not to mention, that with a full-time+ job and family of 4 (5 including me), I just can't donate that kind of time either.
For the next time, use hot rosin instead of boiling water! It's what they use for Firemen hats.. But they let it dry for 8 weeks..
:tup: Looks very nice!
Nono...I was thinking of boiling water but didn't actually do it. I did pick up a bottle of HodgePodge today though and will be hitting them up with that later tonight. I've neglected my forums for far too long and need to catch up...lol.
...and thanks.
Druid they look very cool, and...........

I am proud of you not using a light colored font :)
Thanks. I used gray because I didn't want to start another font war...lol.
Awesome work! I wish I had the skill to make those... Maybe consider doing a camo pattern on them.
Thanks. You know, the only real skill is research, preparation and patience.

Research because you need to be able to know the project before you take it on. I've not only read up on the project items and how they were made, I've researched the [literally] hundreds of different and potential designs. The general design of the Vambrace is the same, only a few having slight differences in function. SCA/re-enactor Braces are thicker and padded to take blows from solid objects (swords/Bokens, etc). Since mine are more for aesthetics than function...although their function is to take the sting of a paintball strike to a minimum...I didin't need to make them thickly padded like the SCA versions. The decorative designs I've seen are nice but I wanted something that was more "me." If you look at my avatar, you see the Triquetra in the center. I bought my 3 daughters Triquetra necklaces in silver a few years ago. The Charm has meaning for us, which is why I selected it.

Preparation because you need to plot and plan out the project and try to anticipate any potential issues. This includes making patterns or paper/cardboard and making adjustments for fit. Drawing, coloring and sketching on the paper pattern gives you an idea of what it will look like when done.

Patience because as long as you take your time, you don't rush yourself into stupid mistakes that (99.9999999% of the time) can be avoided.

Now truth be told, I'm nowhere near done...lol. I've already started the Greaves (shin guards) but also plan on a Sporran, chest/back armor and a Corinthian-styled Helm.

A Sporran is the pouch-looking thing that hangs in front of the Kilt. I think besides it being a pouch, I'll add 10-round tube holders to it.

Chest/back armor will require 2 steer hides...3 if I consider adding pouches or pod-holders. Since I only do recball and large-scale MilSim/scenario, I currently use a 5-pod Java or my BlackHawk EOD vest with a SpecOps 5+4 and horizontal tank mount on the back. My Stage 5 Ion is my primary and I tend to burn through a lot of paint. My Mag is my secondary marker and being a mech, I use less paint but a lot of air. I need lot less than 6 pods on my person regardless of what i use...lol.

Corinthian Helm is something I've always wanted to make. If you've ever seen "Underworld: Evolution" ...remember back to when the Vampires were hunting William (the first Lycan and brother of Marcus) on horse-back. That is the Helm I want to create.

Before I even take on these 2 latter projects, I need to find me a maniquin head/torso that's my size.

As for camouflaging leather...I'd have to paint them and being of a somewhat flexing nature, I think that and (in conjunction with) paintballs striking them would be a bad combination.

DFSniper
03-15-2008, 12:56 PM
I've neglected my forums for far too long and need to catch up...lol.
Thats always a good thing to do! :D

SCA/re-enactor Braces are thicker and padded to take blows from solid objects (swords/Bokens, etc). My HS art teacher is in the SCA. she used to do swordfights, but now she just makes dresses, head pieces, and titles of nobility.

Now truth be told, I'm nowhere near done...lol. I've already started the Greaves (shin guards) but also plan on a Sporran, chest/back armor and a Corinthian-styled Helm.
In that case, i'll see you in a few years. :D if you havent posted in a while because of some puny bracelets (:dodgy:), it looks like you'll be having your hands full for a while!

:yeahthat:

druid
03-15-2008, 01:07 PM
lmao!!!

TheDarkShadow
03-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Nice, they look great, you have way too much time on your hands

druid
03-15-2008, 08:11 PM
thanks...what makes you say that??? LOL..

druid
03-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Well, here's a small preview of the Greaves. They aren't quite finished yet, I have to line them with soft leather and then decide on the method of attachment to my shin/calf...straps with buckles or heavy duty elastic like you would find on Dye-styled knee pads. Finally, ModPodge them to protect the leather.
Knee-end:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/a1e9aa3a.jpg
Ankle-end:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/ac509d33.jpg
Triquetras to match the Braces:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/f4b12e42.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/b860a46e.jpg
Overall:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/9f0f8e05.jpg

HelpDeskHustler
03-23-2008, 04:00 AM
You must be out of your mind. I guess it's good you aren't smithing a sword or building a suit of armor and chilling at renaissance fairs. Regardless, it looks cool... but not extremely useful, except for attracting thine wenches and maidens. :dodgy:

Kenny_McCormic
03-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Very nice.

druid
03-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Well, I already made a Dirk (short sword) and the armor is forthcoming. Not useful, huh? it's no different that shin and armguards made by your favorite paintball company...

...and wenches and maidens are good.....veeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrry good :D

HelpDeskHustler
03-23-2008, 09:22 AM
I usually need knee and elbow protection more than shin and arm protection, but w/e.

STRIKEFIRST
03-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I usually need knee and elbow protection more than shin and arm protection, but w/e.

Well Hello Mr. positive! :cloud:

It's great work...Original and useful...I know alot of people who would rather protect forearms than elbows.

And what's wrong with whoring around the ren fest once a year...have you seen what the hot wenches wear? Oh not to mention my favorite attraction...Pints from around the world!;)

druid
03-23-2008, 07:23 PM
1. It's great work...Original and useful...
2. I know alot of people who would rather protect forearms than elbows.

3. And what's wrong with whoring around the ren fest once a year...have you seen what the hot wenches wear?
4. Oh not to mention my favorite attraction...Pints from around the world!;)

1. Thanks. Original? Meh...I don't think so but in paintball? Perhaps. I don't see that may costuming that is this involved on the field...just the rampant roosters sporting Dye and Redz...
2. I can see where tourney players will only protect their elbows and knees...but I no longer play tourney, only woods and MilSim. Wild roses, raspberry and Scottish Thistles don't mix well with air bunkers...or legs and forearms for that matter...
3. Absolutely nothing! And yeah...depending on the "wench" depends on the service...if ya know what I mean...:D
4. and the Pints help the wenches be more....'accommodating' in their 'role' if ya know what I mean...:D

HelpDeskHustler
03-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Ok, I see. I know what you mean about the brush, I used to get pesky mini thorns, stickers and w/e those sharp hairlike splinters are in my arms when I played in my woods. I still think I'll keep my padded neoprene though.

druid
03-23-2008, 11:28 PM
and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that HDH. Like I said...I'm out of the tourney play for years now and only do MilSim/Scenario. That's a different terrain, requiring different gear.

Most guys I play with (or large scenario games in general) you see 90% in some kind of camo/vests/elbows/knee pads, 1% are refs, 5% in tourney gear and the rest either wear jeans/Tees or are Kilted like myself. The terrain is open field-to-densely thickened woods. I need protection that differs from other players. I rarely crawl on the ground and never slide anymore. Something about gashing body parts on large, sharpened rocks and face-planting into a large, exposed root...isn't that appealing to me anymore...lol.
Since I like to have a personal touch to my gear (be the 'odd-man-out' so to speak), this continues on with my forum user-name and field name of "druid." Be it 'role-playing' or just simple costuming...I'm pretty much unmistakable in the field...lol. These only add that "personal touch" that is generally speaking, unmistakable.

STRIKEFIRST
03-24-2008, 04:02 PM
I'll give you that tourney players would rather protect knees and elbows...I just assumed these were field/milsim.

Oh yes...i know well what you mean...:medieval: :spank:

druid
03-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Here is the current state of the Greaves:

I plan on getting brass buckles and adding straps to where the elastic is placed. I ran out of elastic before I could add the center strap...lol. The straps/buckles will go right where the elastic straps are, and on top of them because that will keep the buckles off my skin.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/Greaves.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/Greaves3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/Greaves2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v388/druidsdecendant/Paintball/Greaves1.jpg

HelpDeskHustler
03-27-2008, 06:24 AM
buckles eh? I'd figure some velcro ought to hold it.

druid
03-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Well, I could use heavy duty velcro - and I have some - but the manner in which I play, I'm always moving and my legs are always chucking through the thick stuff. Velcro will pop open and eventually wear out or pick up burrs and other stick-ums. Buckles would be the more logical choice because they won't release prematurely or wear out. Given the color scheme of the leather, brass will be the better choice.

STRIKEFIRST
03-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Brass would look great...especially after it starts to tarnish slightly...:waytogo:

I'm not a fan of velcro for anything in the brush...I had some rabbit huntong pants with velcro pocket closures...yeah they were burr gatherers...i lloked like a burr bush everytime,