PDA

View Full Version : buying the electra or the ion

tenacious.sol
02-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Yea I have been really debating whether to get the ion or the electra. Both seem like really great guns, but there is so much bias that I can't choose and I can't test both of them out either so that puts me in a tight spot

I don't like the fact "everybody" has ions, but I wouldn't mind getting one if its the better gun. I know electra dominates in speed, but how is the accuracy? Is it the same like my spyder sonix or whatever? And can someone weigh the gun and also give out the length of this gun?

ooglieboogliebob
02-19-2006, 02:44 PM
it's really just personal preference .. if you have any friend that owns any of these just try it from there ...

I can really tell you which is better, since i really havn't used an electra before ... I don't really think i could compare them either .. they're different guns ...

just go with whatever you think is gonna be better for you .. read about them i guess :)

shunut
02-19-2006, 03:25 PM
I really don't think that the Electra owns in speed. The Ion has a spool valve design so it will be able to cycle faster than any Spyder can. With Ion's stock board maybe the Electra is faster but not if you upgrade to say a Lucky or T Board.

As for accuracy really doesn't have much to do with the gun itself. That is more in the barrel to paint match.

The Ion with 12" barrel measures 18" long and weighs 2.2lbs. I'm not sure about how much Spyders weigh but I know its heavier than Ions.

All that said it sounds like I'm promoting Ions, I'm not, I personally don't like Ions, well most Ions, there are a few that I've seen that are nice. Personally at the prices that Ions and Electras are going for I'd buy an ICD ProMaster. It is a better marker than either of the above guns and about the same price.

But once again, like bob said above, its all personal preference.

druid
02-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Upped Ion with a TBoard.
You can always change the body
You can always change the frame
You can get a better barrel
You can get the mods link at PBN and make something that you don't see every day

NitroBall
02-19-2006, 08:16 PM
i own both..

if both guns are stock, i would go towards the ION, but thats only my personal preference, as each has there own tastes..

now when upping these , i found the Electra to be a lot more fun , but that depends on how much u are willing to spend and how far u r going to go ?

with both guns upped, although the ION is much , much lighter, i do prefer playing rec-ball with the Electra.

i am now offered a fenix that doesnt work, and thinkin of making it EP, with Timmy parts .
Its upping it that makes the gun more special, and very enjoyable and fun.

ShadowX
02-20-2006, 04:15 PM
i have an ion now but there was a time when i had a spyder rodeo. i had the ESP frame, ACS, SP AA barrel, kila detents, clamping feed neck and i had a HPA tank and an egg. and that set up compared to my stock ion, the ion wins, hands down. i was very impressed with the ion when i first used it. but the old e frame rodeo set up is the closest to an 05 electra i ever got. but still, an eframed spyder is an eframed spyder, i guarentee you that the electra will shoot the same as an imagine/e-99/ or any other eframed spyder.

knigman just took advantage of bounce when designing the electra, thats the only reason its, quote on quote "better".

druid
02-20-2006, 10:17 PM
....knigman just took advantage of bounce when designing the electra, thats the only reason its, quote on quote "better".

not 'better'....different. as stock markers they are completely unrelated in every way except that it fires a paintball...

what is "better" is subjective...to the purchaser...

Ion is lighter and is more efficient from the gate.
Electra is heavier but cooler looking...
each have a comparable supply of upgrades....

Primal
02-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Maybe you will look in to the new Electra.
And just fore sur it is! Break bem eay.

I dont like Ion and I have used both (stock)

DFSniper
02-21-2006, 01:59 PM
out of the box, its the ion. 17 bps, eyes, lp, and according to the Barron, decent reg. but IMO, spyders are fun to upgrade!

electraballr
04-09-2006, 10:52 AM
i say to get a electra. it is way more fun upgrading it. and with only 300 dollars extra added on, u will have a spimmy(spyder/intiminator). a ion is very unreliable, i say. i had an ion and it never worked for me. i got it once, but i got shot 3 times on the PLASTIC part and paint got in the solonoid and cracked the shell. i sold it for an electra and got better preformance.it let me up grade every part, was way more reliable, and it was only 3 ounces heaveir. with 300 bucks u can make an ion a (upped ion that isn't yet a shocker) or a spyder to an intiminator or and angel. the ion has way less kick tho, but thats cause im used to c02 when playing at my house, so it seems like it.im happier with my electra than with the ion i used to own.

electraballr
04-09-2006, 10:55 AM
y do u think that they lowered the price on the ion and not on the electra?

jpu9298
04-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Because the electra is spyders highest end marker spyder has. The bet smart parts realized there low end marker wasnt worth near 300.00$. Although I am buying an ion this week, it is my second one. They are extremly great guns. Light, fast and great out of the box. I don't mean to flame but if it doesn't work it is ussually user error. With a nice barrel, trigger, qev, and feedneck the gun rips. And with a black heart board....dont even get me started. The gun rips...plus its LP...

imagineman05
04-20-2006, 09:19 AM
i have an ion now but there was a time when i had a spyder rodeo. i had the ESP frame, ACS, SP AA barrel, kila detents, clamping feed neck and i had a HPA tank and an egg. and that set up compared to my stock ion, the ion wins, hands down. i was very impressed with the ion when i first used it. but the old e frame rodeo set up is the closest to an 05 electra i ever got. but still, an eframed spyder is an eframed spyder, i guarentee you that the electra will shoot the same as an imagine/e-99/ or any other eframed spyder.

knigman just took advantage of bounce when designing the electra, thats the only reason its, quote on quote "better".

you are about dumb.there is a big difference between the e framed spyders.the electra shoots 30 balls per second and the imagine only gets about 15.so dont tell me there the same.the closest to the electra is the fenix acs which shoots 20 a second.

ooglieboogliebob
04-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks for opening up an old thread ... :dodgy:

He's probably talking about the quality ... besides bps doesn't mean crap ... it depends how well you point and shoot at a target ...

Also, your fingers cant walk 20-30 bps without any help like ramping and such .. so it would matter ... besides the cycling theory viking made in some posts also prove it's useless also ...

Hob Hayward
04-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Yeah, what ooglie said, imagineman05, you are the one who knows nothing. Spyders are all internally the same. The only difference is the board, and anything over 20 is unnecisary.

In fact, the imagine is the best spyder, lol well almost. I got my brothers mongoose board for free when he got his t-board so I have a 21 bps cap, and the lightest e-spyder in production. lol...

http://www.spyder.tv/section/products/emarkers/comparison_chart.html

The only real difference is that the imagine doesn't have as good a barrel or an ACS from the start, but every other spyder does. So the fenix and pilot are the same really. The rocking trigger frame is the only thing that seperates the electra from the other spyders. How they can charge 300+ for it ius beyond me.

agressor07
04-21-2006, 09:03 AM
yeah really i would prefer the Electra but the ions are good guns to so really it's what you prefer

butthead
04-21-2006, 11:54 AM
I was playing with some of my friends last week and one of them happened to buy a new Ion. The outside looked like a play toy.(plastic) But on the other hand we both took some of my diablo formula 13 paintballs out of my box and shot them to compare them. both had a .689 bore. well my electra out shot him(we both have halos with rip drives and victory boards). But he had better accuracy(I know paint to barrel match that is why we used same paint). but i like both. So my friend calls me last night and says guess what and i say what and he tells me the silonoid busted.(seems to happen alot when taking apart the gun)But like said earlyer it is a personal preference.