PDA

View Full Version : Scuba

pbfreak3221
03-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Anyone here SCUBA? I just got certified today, and am going on my first open water dive in three months in the Bahamas, and probably a few small dives around in Boston Harbor looking at some wrecks. SCUBA is so thrilling, establishing neutral buoyancy, and just breathing under water is so amazing. Hasanyone else here has SCUBA dived, or tried it?

badlandsrox
03-09-2008, 06:25 PM
I do, been a few times in maui, and a few mountain lakes (actually my cert dive was a november -10 degree OAT dive in a glacial lake... i was so happy when that was over though haha) and a few lakes around here.

pbfreak3221
03-09-2008, 07:04 PM
How was Maui? And did you take your courses through PADI?

badlandsrox
03-09-2008, 07:51 PM
maui was actually really great for scuba, just cause theres so many endemic species, and you can pull over anywhere, and within 50 (with a majority far less than that) meters of the shoreline theres a good reef, but the two best places in maui to scuba are molokini, and lanai cathederals, and actually come to think about it turtle town is a good dive, if you ever go there, hit me up with a PM, cause i can refer you to some good dive boats, dive sites, and maybe even accomodations (we own a vacation rental place there). And yes, i did do it through padi

chubb0rz
03-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Ah cool. I am actually starting my padi courses this week. I can't wait to get my cert since a friend dives and has a boat :)

Just wondering if you guys know any good scuba review or info sites for regulators, BCDs and such?

pbfreak3221
03-10-2008, 04:19 AM
Rent your first time. Make sure it's not just a phase your going through, and when you dive through PADI they provide you with great equipment. I only suggest you get a good mask, snorkel, and my preference of adjustable strap fin.

chubb0rz
03-10-2008, 04:55 AM
Well I'll be diving with a few friends and for me its cheaper then paintball. They do offer renting for only $40, the first two pool sessions its free and then the open water classes its $40 each dive. Luckily I already have the mask and snorkel since I snorkel a lot.

pbfreak3221
03-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Hope you get a good instructor, where are you diving? You have many more options where you live than me, and I may be around there later this summer? If you go any where good let me know. And good luck on the exam, my only suggestions are read the book and do all the reviews at the end, and watch the DVD that was huge for me. Also the separate RDP planner manual was very helpful.

chubb0rz
03-10-2008, 01:24 PM
A buddy of mine arranged for me and 2 others to have a private session for only $200. We will be diving most in West Palm Beach and occasionally in the Keys.