PDA

View Full Version : Paintball Magazine

TheDarkShadow
03-08-2008, 07:27 AM
What is the best bang for the buck for paintball magazines?
I'm not looking to spend a lot of money for a subscription.

SpyderMan723
03-08-2008, 07:33 AM
APG
ActionPursuitGames FTW!

vikingshadow
03-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Naw, APG caters too much to the new player, I think.

I like PGI (paintball games international). Seems to have decent reviews, talks about all aspects of the game, and has great pictures. Does seem to focus more on speedball than woods/scenario, but its been getting better (been about 4 months since I've seen one, though.)

PB2X is pretty good, also.

MR2 Woodsballer
03-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Splat, Facefull, PB2X, PGI, APG are all good mags I end up buying them all throught out the month. Keep in mind a few (i don't recall witch ones) Have alot of coverage of the Europen Circut. I Personally like PGI.

Muddytaco
03-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Facefull is the best IMO but it cost alot compared to the others. I subscribe to PB2X b/c of the price for there 2 year deal and its pretty good. About 3/4 speedball and about a 1/4 woodsball. They have good pics and nice write ups. PGI is pretty good to.

pbfreak3221
03-08-2008, 09:47 AM
PGI is my hands down winner. over the past four years I've had subscriptions to almost all the major magazines, and PGI covers every single aspect, and packs so many new product reviews,tourny coverage, International coverage, interviews, drills, and great articles it is the best bang for the buck.

VS3 Sniper
03-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Facefull, pb2x, and pgi are some of the best imo.

TheDarkShadow
03-08-2008, 11:51 AM
ok so now I'm looking at pb2x or apg, there about the same price

what's pros and cons about both?

The Pumper
03-08-2008, 12:13 PM
2 yrs [24 issues] for 55 bucks.
APg baby

bigred76
03-08-2008, 12:57 PM
I find APG's oriented entirely towards nubs. I can't stand reading it from cover to cover due to it's overly simplistic rendering of the sport so nubs can understand. Of those two, PB2X is better by FAR!

kramernator
03-08-2008, 01:13 PM
i get APG, and yes, it is for noobs, but i like it anyway, mostly look at the pics and new stuff more that read the articles.

bigred76
03-08-2008, 01:24 PM
If you're going only for pictures, get Facefull. It has the best pictures of all the magazines, and the pictures there are taken in such a way real players can appreciate them. :rolleyes:

vikingshadow
03-08-2008, 03:01 PM
ok so now I'm looking at pb2x or apg, there about the same price

what's pros and cons about both?

APG

Pros - great magazine if you're just starting out. Articles are short and not very "meaty" but you'll get the basic jist of it. They cover woodsball more than PB2X.

Cons - Articles are too short and not very "meaty" if you've played the game more than 6 months consistantly. They cover woodsball more than other magazines, and while that's not so bad, they really only cover a fraction of that type of game. Reviews are too basic - pictures are too meh, in my opinion.

PB2X

Pros - excellent pictures. Articles are decent - usually have good coverage of the larger events in both speedball and scenario. They usually include barely clothed women in some parts, so that makes up for a lot of bleh the magazine might have.

Cons - sometimes there are too MANY pictures, as good as they are. Reviews are less than outstanding. Sometimes they are blatantly speedball oriented, then they pop out a scenario mag every now and then, both of which lose half their readership for those particular months. One big con was they hired some idiot "kid" (I use the term in the most general of ways) that was nothing but a flamer - I swear they picked him up from PBN - and all his three articles that I read had to say was how old people shouldn't play, fat people shouldn't play, nubs shouldn't play - blah blah blah. I stopped getting their magazine strictly because they sold out to those FEW players that feel that's the direction to go in this sport rather than trying to make it look good to the world.

I still say go with PGI - more expensive, but you'll get more out of it and enjoy it more. But it's your cash - do what you want!

I agree that if all you want is pictures, go for Facefull - I never got that magazine (WAY too expensive for my tastes. It is just a magazine, after all) but I look at it every time I go into Barnes and Noble and Hastings.