PDA

View Full Version : Been lost around here, and lookin for some quick help. Autococker opinions?

DisIsMyUsername
03-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Hey guys. Been gone for awhile, really haven't had the time and money to take paintball as a serious hobby and i've been dedicating my time on my ride..but as of recently, I got promoted, schools going great, and i'm lookin to start playing with friends all over again.

Anyway, Im about to buy locally a mech 04 autococker. I got pix, its coming with a tank, and other stuff for way cheap. well imo, its cheap. for 100 bucks, its from one of my car buddies who doesnt use it anymore.

I've only owned spyders and i've shot cockers before, but never owned, and dont know much about these pneumatic markers. and maintenance and such. I also wanna mod it a bit, but have no clue as to where to start.

anyway this is the gun

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j94/2006magnum/PaintballPiks002.jpg

What do u guys think? good deal? great marker?

DisIsMyUsername
03-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Here's the tank. I know the psi and such is also a big thing, but honestly i forgot all about this stuff. Only know about spyder crap. lol

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j94/2006magnum/PaintballPiks003.jpg

TheDarkShadow
03-07-2008, 10:32 AM
nice pick up for 100 bucks, sorry I too am a pneumatic noob

VS3 Sniper
03-07-2008, 11:19 AM
It looks like a stock Prostock Autococker (I had a green e2ed one but I sold the e2 kit.) I think it would be a good deal for a 100 bucks. The steely tank alone is worth about $40 (Its a 48ci/3000psi tank). There are quite a few people here with tons of knowledege about autocockers. On some things I may be able to help u out but with others u may need to ask someone else. If u have any questions feel free to pm me.

Are you planning on keeping it mech?

DisIsMyUsername
03-07-2008, 12:40 PM
It looks like a stock Prostock Autococker (I had a green e2ed one but I sold the e2 kit.) I think it would be a good deal for a 100 bucks. The steely tank alone is worth about $40 (Its a 48ci/3000psi tank). There are quite a few people here with tons of knowledege about autocockers. On some things I may be able to help u out but with others u may need to ask someone else. If u have any questions feel free to pm me.

Are you planning on keeping it mech?

Yea. I was searching, and I figured it was a prostock. Looks mint, and I know the nitrogen tanks go for alot more than co2's.

I am planning on keeping it mech, I've been reading that as long as u can control ur trigger finger u wont be chopping much. I'm not a trigger happy kinda person anyway. I like to shoot in a few accurate bursts, but occasionally i like to walk the trig a bit. I might be changing the bolt, but these stock are accurate already.

bigred76
03-07-2008, 12:56 PM
That would be an all stock 2004 WGP Prostock, with a Pure Energy 48/3k tank. Check the hydro date on the tank, if it's after 2005 then it should suit you well. I wouldn't buy a tank with a date before that, as it's due for a retest 5 years from the hydro date.

It's a good starting Autococker, and will teach you all you need to know about it. Lemme see if I can find my interactive timing tutorial to help you figure out how to time 'Cockers, which is the main drawback in many player's minds. I've never had a real problem with doing it, as you set it in about 30 minutes and it's good for AGES!

I'm going to be trying to sell my Prostock (a little more upgraded than that one) for $100 soon here, so that's an excellent pickup depending on that hydro date!

EDIT: The interactive tutorial I used to learn how to time's no longer around, so I can't link you to it. I'm downloading and trying out the Simulator in the FAQ thread for 'Cockers on PBN to see if it's decent, and was warned to not click any of the links in it as someone's virus scan software flagged them. The program itself is supposedly clean, though.

PBN 'Cocker Tech Thread (http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=208836)

bamf-hacker
03-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Here you go... How to time an Autococker.

http://www.cockertech.com/videos/cockertiming.wmv

DisIsMyUsername
03-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Here you go... How to time an Autococker.

http://www.cockertech.com/videos/cockertiming.wmv

doesnt work for me. :(

DisIsMyUsername
03-07-2008, 06:11 PM
nvm, got it to work, i posted the url in WMV

DisIsMyUsername
03-13-2008, 06:02 PM
So i finally got the gun, filled up the tank..and shot a few rounds.

The gun itself is in good conditions, but honestly it hasnt been used for awhile, and i greased up the bolt, and had some of the small macro tubing replaced as they were leaking..

I tried to time it as well, but i cant seem to get it right, im trying to shorten the trigger pull, but no luck..the access hole up top wont turn, and it feels like i'm lockin into the right thing, but it wont turn.

Also, i end up pulling the trigger all the way, and the pneumatics cock back the bolt, but when i let go, it wont shoot. I gotta give it a quick pull. that how it works?

Its also not very accurate :confused:

maybe one of u guys can point me in the right direction.

btw who can I pm to change my username?

bigred76
03-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Trying to adjust the lug on the hammer? I ended up using a crescent wrench and using that to gain some leverage, as mine was loctited in the last time I needed to adjust it. Turn it clockwise for in (sooner sear drop), counter clockwise for out (later sear drop), with the jaws of the wrench just large enough to fit the wrench between them (sucks when it comes off there when you're trying to torque it hard!).

Adjust the 3-way rod so that it's just a LITTLE bit shorter (making it activate later in the trigger pull), and it should fix your other timing issue. Is the hammer even catching on the sear if you pull back the cocking rod by hand? The hammer is supposed to drop, followed by the back block coming back. You can tinker with the timing of that using the 3-way and the lug.

It's probably not very accurate if you're using the stock barrel because of the paint to bore match. Because the Autocockers are closed-bolt markers, they need a good fit, otherwise the balls will fall out or jam up the bolt (too small and too large ball size, respectively).

As for your username, you're SOL on that. Can't change it.

DisIsMyUsername
03-13-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks bigred.

I'll take it apart tomorrow, i figured I needed to have the hammer out since it wasnt workin out thru the hole. If i cock it by hand it catches, and i'll mess with the 3way as well. The vid explains well, so i'll try that.

bigred76
03-13-2008, 10:53 PM
If that's the case, then all you'll need to do really is adjust the 3-way to cycle later in the pull. To do this, I'd personally turn off the LPR. Figure out just how far it takes to pull the trigger and make the marker fire. If need be, adjust the lug to make it sooner in the pull (take it out some to do that, counter clockwise). Don't make it too soon, or else you might have issues with it catching the sear, but not so late that it is dropped from the sear after the 3-way's activated. Then, take off the cocking rod and turn the LPR back up to pressure. Tune it so that the trigger activates the 3-way after the point you found out the gun fires at. Reinstall the cocking rod and you're on your way!

Ace24
03-14-2008, 09:46 AM
I have a feeling I'm going to go through the same thing when mine comes in... haha.

DisIsMyUsername
03-14-2008, 05:09 PM
cockers are a bishhhh.

I love em tho, im thinkin of buying a superstock as well, but having this one around as a loner, and getting rid of one of my spyders

DisIsMyUsername
03-17-2008, 09:50 AM
I have a feeling I'm going to go through the same thing when mine comes in... haha.

what u got dude?

i bought an autococker superstock :p

lol, i wanted to get more into cockers so i said why not. Its a good marker, im still working on my prostock. havent had time to properly time it.

DisIsMyUsername
03-17-2008, 10:28 AM
btw. what kinda lube should i use for the cocker? grease or oil?

the local shop recommends that i use, shocktech gun butta. good idea?

colonel_moo
03-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Thats actually an 03 VF Autococker, not a 04 Prostock (doesn't make much of a difference, but I thought I would at least correct you guys). 100 bucks is a decent deal. Cockers are alot of fun, but also alot of work. I used to have one just like that only it was green. I ended up upgrading every part on it except the body and frame... I think I had a mild addiction.

To answer your question, use grease. Don't neglect your pneumatics. Keep your 3 way nice and lubed especially. It doesnt really matter what kind you use, I used slick honey when I had mine (i still swear by the stuff).

by the way, a pic of mine just for old times sake :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Encrypted87/eric1038.jpg

DisIsMyUsername
03-17-2008, 04:57 PM
so, the 3way and pneumatic is just as easy as applying some grease to the moving parts, or should i remove it? and then grease it.

looked good btw. u still have that drop forward? lol

colonel_moo
03-17-2008, 05:04 PM
so, the 3way and pneumatic is just as easy as applying some grease to the moving parts, or should i remove it? and then grease it.

looked good btw. u still have that drop forward? lol

Haha, no, I don't still have it, I sold the gun years ago. I'm actually kind of ashamed about that drop, I would never use one today.

I guess the only thing you can really grease on stock 03 pneus is the 3 way. the easiest way to go about it is to take the whole front block off and grease the orings inside the 3 way (there will be 2 on the stock one). be careful not to bend the actuator rod when you're taking off the front block though.

DisIsMyUsername
03-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Haha, no, I don't still have it, I sold the gun years ago. I'm actually kind of ashamed about that drop, I would never use one today.

I guess the only thing you can really grease on stock 03 pneus is the 3 way. the easiest way to go about it is to take the whole front block off and grease the orings inside the 3 way (there will be 2 on the stock one). be careful not to bend the actuator rod when you're taking off the front block though.

ashamed? Its functional. lol

and got it. I'll see what i do. I wanna clean and grease the internals too, any pointers? should i pull them from the front, or rear of the marker?

colonel_moo
03-17-2008, 05:10 PM
they come out the back. you're only going to be able to easily pull is the bolt and the hammer. you're going to have to take the hammer lug all the way up to get it out. To get at the valve you're going to need a valve tool.

DisIsMyUsername
03-17-2008, 05:20 PM
they come out the back. you're only going to be able to easily pull is the bolt and the hammer. you're going to have to take the hammer lug all the way up to get it out. To get at the valve you're going to need a valve tool.

hmm sounds like a problem cuz i couldnt twist the hammer lug from the access hole up top..its like stuck?

colonel_moo
03-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Like someone said earlier, it could be loc-tited. It may take some force to break.

Ace24
03-17-2008, 09:58 PM
I'll post pics when the gun comes in. The body is the same as your VF '03. Only, it's black with quite a few upgraded parts.

DisIsMyUsername
03-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Like someone said earlier, it could be loc-tited. It may take some force to break.

Eh. I'll try to force it tonight. w/out loosening it, i cant take out the hammer right?

I'll post pics when the gun comes in. The body is the same as your VF '03. Only, it's black with quite a few upgraded parts.

I actually ordered another as well, so i'll post pix of that one when it comes in as well.

DisIsMyUsername
03-18-2008, 09:00 AM
One other stupid question.

since my tank is a 48cu/3000psi it works fine with cockers right? I see some runnin 4500psi tanks, and i'm not too familiar with nitro tanks..so is that tank ok for this cocker, and the one coming in? (my superstock)

colonel_moo
03-18-2008, 10:02 AM
you tank will be fine. you won't get too many shots off of it, but it will work.

DisIsMyUsername
03-18-2008, 10:07 AM
you tank will be fine. you won't get too many shots off of it, but it will work.

i'm fine with the tank. I used it this past weekend on my pilot and it lasted about 700 rounds i believe. A bag and a half.

Besides i play at a field that provides unlimited air. :rolleyes:

DisIsMyUsername
03-25-2008, 07:19 AM
I got my superstock.

It comes with a delrin bolt...and the dude had it greased, so its full of lube..isnt that bad? delrin bolts dont use oil, or is this some weird exception