tater_salad
03-03-2008, 03:36 PM
I say 360.

pb34
03-03-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm all for the 360 as well.

king-man
03-03-2008, 03:39 PM
i dint feel like arguing on the other guys thread trin to fix his ps3 so i added this, they say 360 are bad cuz of the red ring issue, woop-di-do, send it back for free, get it fixed, plus u have the biggest online action, xbox live, and hey werent near as high as PS3's and they went over ten times better

VS2 King
03-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I Bet Your Two Billion Dollars That If Ps3 Was The Same Price As 360 That They Would Be Better In Everyones Mind. Plus There Is Free Online Gaming. Dont Have To Pay For Stupid Live. Waist Of Money. Plus Its A Blue-Ray Player.

With That Said My Vote Is For PS3

Edit: i Dont Own A Ps3 or 360

Paradox313
03-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I Bet Your Two Billion Dollars That If Ps3 Was The Same Price As 360 That They Would Be Better In Everyones Mind. Plus There Is Free Online Gaming. Dont Have To Pay For Stupid Live. Waist Of Money. Plus Its A Blue-Ray Player.

I agree. But If you have the cash go for PS3, I LOVE mine. But I love playing my buddies 360, plus they have exclusive games like Gears of War, and Halo3.

I'd say 360 if your on a budget, but I'm not going to vote, cause I love both equally.

marvin-martian
03-03-2008, 04:02 PM
I agree. But If you have the cash go for PS3, I LOVE mine. But I love playing my buddies 360, plus they have exclusive games like Gears of War, and Halo3.

I'd say 360 if your on a budget, but I'm not going to vote, cause I love both equally.

you mean exclusives like metal gear, god of war, socom, haze and gran turismo?

Paradox313
03-03-2008, 04:06 PM
I though MG, Socom, and GT were multi platform games.

huh, well I guess all platforms have their own exclusives.

I remember reading somewhere that Konami was debating whether or not to make MGS4 a 360 and PS3 game.

marvin-martian
03-03-2008, 04:07 PM
he never did because bluray > hddvd

xsvly-fat
03-03-2008, 04:11 PM
i would say 360 just cause of the price but the ps3 can play blue ray so its kind of a better deal if you plan on using blue rays

marvin-martian
03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
if you plan on using blue rays

youre going to be forced to pretty soon.

king-man
03-03-2008, 04:21 PM
not before another xbox or playstation comes out, Blu-Ray are still high, dvd's are only $20 compared to a Blu-Ray at $40, id give it atleast anothre3-4 years before dvd's are out

bigred76
03-03-2008, 04:23 PM
:yeahthat: to Claus. Just opened my email from a while back from Xbox.com, and they cut the price of the 360's HD-DVD players.... why? Only a few people will put out a couple titles per year as Sony has the market monopolized already. Bluray ftw for the PS3, but the 360 OWNS it in performance. The PS3's stats are excellent on paper, not so great in practicality. The 360's faster, has better graphics, is more responsive (no laggy **** here!), and has the best games the industry makes exclusive to it (Halo series, etc etc... you know them already!). It's up to personal preference, really. If you want the BEST gaming system on the market with the largest HD available, the 360 EL's for you. If you want BluRay capability to buy into Sony's monopoly (can you tell yet I don't like them? :)), then go ahead and nab a PS3. It'd be cheaper than buying a 360 and BluRay player at the very least. Hell, you might as well buy both the 360 and PS3 for how much you'd spend on that!

Paradox313
03-03-2008, 04:25 PM
youre going to be forced to pretty soon.

Very true.

Remember VHS? Neither do I.

king-man
03-03-2008, 04:29 PM
Very true.

Remember VHS? Neither do I.

lol, but they lasted a long time, so will dvd's then HD-DVD's, i dont think that many people are that crazy over blu-ray

bigred76
03-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Read my post, they are discontinuing HD-DVD's mostly due to the popularity of Blu-Ray. Sony has the market monopolized already. :rolleyes:

king-man
03-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Read my post, they are discontinuing HD-DVD's mostly due to the popularity of Blu-Ray. Sony has the market monopolized already. :rolleyes:

i had to read that a second time to frealize what you were saying, i still aint spending $40 for a movie when i can rent them from Netfilx, or get them off the internet, from netfilx, face it, with faster internet than ever, it will make getting movies off the internet the new way of watching them

SupaSnipa
03-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I LOVE my 360. You dont HAVE you get it for free, silver anyways. I love how i can plug my Zune into it and play my music while im playing. The 360 is an HD player, so what if Toshiba decided to be a @$&# and drop HD, Blu- Ray and High Def are basically the same except for one thing, Blu-Ray holds more, but do you need all that space.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, if you have a 360 and you play Forza 2 on live, dont be dumb like me and decide to race Dave. I thought I had the upperhand with the Crystler ME 412......boooy was I wrong, he pulls out his ME412 with NOTHING stock..........I didnt do so well

marvin-martian
03-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Blu-Ray holds more, but do you need all that space?

konami left stuff out of MGS4 because they still couldnt fit everything on the disc. so yes you need that space, infact, you need more.

irishwarrior
03-03-2008, 06:01 PM
you mean exclusives like metal gear, god of war, socom, haze and gran turismo?

SOCOM is multi-platform

I have to go for PS3. It has more multi-media capability (Games, Blu-Ray, Wireless Media Server capabilities), free online play, more processing power (the games don't even use most of it's abilities) and isn't designed by Microsoft:) :).

marvin-martian
03-03-2008, 06:03 PM
only if multi platform means PSP...

irishwarrior
03-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Ps2

marvin-martian
03-03-2008, 06:04 PM
wow. were referring to sony/microsoft/current gen.

irishwarrior
03-03-2008, 06:11 PM
PS2 isn't current generation?!?!?:D :D :D :D I miss my PS2:bawling: the only reason I got a PS3 is because my PS2 wouldn't read disks.:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

marvin-martian
03-03-2008, 06:13 PM
PS2 isn't current generation?!?!?:D :D :D :D I miss my PS2:bawling: the only reason I got a PS3 is because my PS2 wouldn't read disks.:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:

ive fixed multiple DREs myself

HelpDeskHustler
03-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Here's the breakdown IMO:

Xbox 360's have a rep for hardware malfunction. Although it's terribly true about first and second generation 360's, the new 65nm CPU's and better build have them in an area where you won't have to worry about it breaking anymore. Used is a different story. IMO Sony really ****ed up with the PS3. I honestly think they tried to piss off as many people as possible when building the console. Their architecture is far more expensive to develop for, and they only reap benefits in floating point operations (ie big number equations... meaning your physics engine will run like .5% faster). The RAM, Video Card and Processors between the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are nearly identical. The PS3 can compute large character movement about 5% more efficiently than xbox 360, meaning about 20 more objects/people can be displayed at one time, as long as the RAM isn't completely taken. The 360 on the other hand had the raw power to handle AI based operations, not to mention, Microsoft has been doing everything in their power to advance developers. Sony on the other hand has placed the task of restringing tasks to 8 DSP's (Simulated processors... keep in mind, the ps3 only has a single core cpu) which is a task that can add nearly a month to programming. Multiple Game developers have spoken out about how bad the PS3 programming architecture is, and Valve has even stated that they will not be releasing Left 4 Dead for Ps3.

With the hardware out of the way, I should make it clear that the software hasn't been doing great on PS3 either. Sony has pushed back "Home" their "innovative" :dodgy: new interaction system nearly 3 times, or a total of about 8 months. Although Xbox Live costs money, the community it has and the unification between games provides a convenience well worth 5 dollars a month. Not to mention, the ability for Microsoft to keep cheaters banned by console is much more promising than how Sony has been solving the problems.

Sony really stepped out on a ledge, and although it's arguable that they have more advanced hardware since they have 50GB disks and required HDD and some goofy DSP architecture, they didn't do anything to help the developers and very little of its benefits are being taken advantage of. Sony has been promising things they can't deliver for most of this console's generation, I wouldn't trust them.

The "In engine" Killzone 2 trailer that was just done slowly and sped up.
The "Core" not being the powerhouse they claimed, in fact it's a PITA
Home being delayed

Sony hasn't done enough to meet their developers half way, and although I feel like others are trying I think Sony feels they can just plop the console out there and hope it floats. Microsoft may or may not have released an inferior product, but regardless... they sure as hell are keeping it afloat. Here's what they did:

Seasonal Patches to add features and remove bugs.
Auto updates for games to patch games and remove bugs
Updated Xbox Live marketplace
Adding demanded movies
Releasing a development kit for xbox Live arcade, which is now free
Increasing hardware malfunction warranty to 2 years
Providing a guarantee of 1 new arcade game every week
Giving developers an easy solution to offering dowloadable content constantly
working with bungie to promote fileshare

They really are working their ass off to make sure their console is the best they can make it. Not to mention, there's a huge list of games out for the 360 right now, and even the cross platform games are considerably better due to Microsoft's easy to use and easy to set-up Xbox live. Live ensures 90% of the players have microphones, and if they don't deserve one you can easily shut them up. Friends can be accessed across all games, and even across platforms to PC users. The cheaper solution for online game play is almost always worse.

We can get into other things if you'd like, for example how the 360 controller is raved as the most comfortable controller to date... but I don't feel those have a ton of relevance.

DFSniper
03-03-2008, 07:56 PM
ugh, personally, i cant stand the xbox controllers. any of them. but thats just personal preference.

i prefer ps3 over 360 because i find that most of the games i like are either multi-platform or ps3 specific. also, while microsoft offers all that extra stuff with Live, i would probably never use 99% of it. when i want to go online, its to play multiplayer, and thats it. although if i had a ps3 w/bluetooth keyboard and mouse, i'd probably surf the net with it! :D

i know this next argument is long dead, but i prefer Reistance over Halo 3. the storyline was unique, the weapons were unique, the gameplay/environment was different yet familiar, and it just made for an overall more appealing game. dont get me wrong, Halo 3 is a good game if you're just getting into the series, but aside from a few cosmetic changes, a few new weapons, radically advanced AI and nerfed armor, i dont see a big difference between H3 and the first two.

leed
03-03-2008, 07:59 PM
A simple fix to your problem:

Get a girlfriend, enlist in the army, or get a job. :rolleyes:

To be honest, they're both great systems, I wouldn't complain with either. But I have none.

HelpDeskHustler
03-03-2008, 08:04 PM
That's my beef with Sony multiplayer. I've played Socom. Theres NOTHING BUT cheaters. In Xbox live, you'll rarely get a legit cheater. It's nearly impossible to mod your xbox since BIOS on console will flag any console not running stock hardware and report and self ban from xbox live. And Xbox live auto checks BIOS to ensure that you've got no mods there. Xbox Live makes online play more enjoyable. I'm a big fan of the halo series and I played for the story, but Halo to me has always been a vehicle game and when they nerfed vehicles and rebalanced weapons, I was out. Third party games are where it's at, and from all the kids I know who have PS3 and 360, they tell me that 360 is a much better experience. Rainbow Six Vegas, Call of Duty 4, etc. It's all better to play on Live rather than Sony's network. You will get every penny's worth out of xbox live's 5 dollar charge if you play at least 4 hours a week and/or you keep an eye out for all the freebies you get through marketplace. Not to mention if you're REALLY that cheap that 5 dollars a month is so much of a waste, just use xbox connect, it's free... but lacks the community, just like sony online.

deano 177
03-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Xbox 360 elite for me. I just hate sony and the way they handle their business.

king-man
03-04-2008, 01:58 PM
i have to say, i used to like sony, i liked the ps2 mainly because i had 2 playstations and a ps1(they're different trust me) so i got a ps2, when a buddy of mine got an xbox, and i saw all the different games i bought an xbox two, i had both, at first i played ps2 way more but then once i saw all the really good games for xbox, the ps2 basically just sat there, then i bought a GameCube(that thing was a P.O.S) i had it for a moth and it was gone, i eventually sold my ps2 and ended up buin another xbox cuz the other one got struck by lightning. So what im trin to say is, i dont like the PS3 and now i dont really care for sony either, but i got to admit i did like my ps2, but you know what beats them all NINTENDO Wii FTW :D

bigred76
03-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Wii FTL.... the gameplay and controllers for Nintendo are HORRID. The best system they ever put out was the N64. Everything before and after that has and is pure ****...

HelpDeskHustler
03-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Wii is the least intuitive system ever. The programming on the motion is shotty and it's difficult for both new gamers and hardcore gamers to just pick up the controller and understand it.

king-man
03-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Wii FTL.... the gameplay and controllers for Nintendo are HORRID. The best system they ever put out was the N64. Everything before and after that has and is pure ****...

I loved my N64, but now when i look at the controller design it really makes me wonder how the hell anyone could use, but donkey kong 64 was the bomb

Wii is the least intuitive system ever. The programming on the motion is shotty and it's difficult for both new gamers and hardcore gamers to just pick up the controller and understand it.

the motion of it is pretty bad, they sould allow you to calibrate it like they do with phones, it should bring up a screen with target and you aim or however you do and use it to your own preference, that would make it a million times easier to select stuff

durrell
03-04-2008, 06:07 PM
360's will have Blu-Ray capability soon.

Critical
03-04-2008, 06:10 PM
As an internal upgrade or as an external add-on like the HDDVD?

king-man
03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
most likely external but they'll find a way to interalize them

DFSniper
03-04-2008, 06:15 PM
The best system they ever put out was the N64. Everything before and after that has and is pure ****...

best. console. ever.

goldeneye FTMFW!! i'd play that over just about any FPS game. its so hard finding a copy nowadays though (my friend wanted to sell me his for $50!)

durrell
03-04-2008, 06:16 PM
I would imagine the existing consoles will be external, but they'll internalize it eventually.

Also, Xbox 360 > PS3.

bigred76
03-04-2008, 06:21 PM
I doubt it... Sony is anal retentative about their ****, especially the BluRay.

I <3 GoldenEye!!! You're not getting my copy of it or Perfect Dark, the two best (IMO) games in the history of the N64!

king-man
03-04-2008, 06:26 PM
i wish i would have never sold my N64 for $75, totally not worth it now, IMO $1000

DFSniper
03-04-2008, 06:28 PM
mines sitting in my closet on a roll-away cart, under all my paintball gear :D

Ace24
03-04-2008, 06:30 PM

With That Said My Vote Is For PS3

Edit: i Dont Own A Ps3 or 360

I'd rather pay the VERY LITTLE price Microsoft charges you to play online and get the safer, higher quality online game play that it offers then deal with SOCOM style online play where people buy cheat disks and screw everything up.

That being said, 360 is the way to go for me. All the games coming out that I want are on the 360 and the Wii. I already own the Nintendo Magic Machine so I'll be getting a 360 soon. Halo series + Gears of War + Unreal Tournament + Call Of Duty 4 = Video game sex machine.

I doubt it... Sony is anal retentative about their ****, especially the BluRay.

I <3 GoldenEye!!! You're not getting my copy of it or Perfect Dark, the two best (IMO) games in the history of the N64!
Can't wait till those hit the Virtual Counsel. I don't feel like blowing my cartridges to get them working again... and the blurry graphics that we once thought were "so freaking incredible," are more of an irritation now than anything else. I <3 Nintendo for the VC. Games are cleaned up graphic wise so nicely. Mario 64, Pokemon Snap, Paper Mario, and Street Fighter 2 have been keeping me occupied for quite some time now on the VC.

badlandsrox
03-04-2008, 06:59 PM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/02/28/ps3s_put_to_use_simulating_blackholes/

'nuff said

DFSniper
03-04-2008, 08:06 PM
thats friggin awesome!

Ace24
03-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Sure... if you have at least $6399.84 without sales tax $6911.83 with tax. (NYS) :dodgy:

interceptorMR2
03-04-2008, 09:17 PM
PS3 can go die in a hole... jk jk, i love my friends PS3 but i dont have the money for a ps3. heck i barely got the cash for my 360. I played COD4 on the ps3 and that was pretty fun. but thats one of the only fun games ive found on PS3 relatively looking at the 360's games. IMO i just think that 360 has a better line of games. PS3 is so cool though, cuz i can watch youtube on it!!!! :D

HelpDeskHustler
03-05-2008, 03:43 AM
best. console. ever.

goldeneye FTMFW!! i'd play that over just about any FPS game. its so hard finding a copy nowadays though (my friend wanted to sell me his for $50!)

Goldeneye was terrible. Perfect dark zero was much better than goldeneye, it had more guns, AI bots in multiplayer and better explosions. Goldeneye was the game everyone knew about. Not to mention, looking back on that game it was truely horrendous to play with one joystick since you had to toggle walking and aiming, good thing autoaim was massive.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/02/28/ps3s_put_to_use_simulating_blackholes/

'nuff said
Yea, a black hole in the "home" development center :dodgy:

BUT REALLY. The only reason this is possible with a PS3 is because it's able to be put in parallel. Supercomputers are made with machines from 1995 all the time. This is no testament to the actual power of the machine as it takes 16 of them, not to mention it says nothing about simulating black holes real time. You could simulate a black hole on a 1995 machine, it would just take months. Not to mention their simulations just run raw calculations and numbers, and do nothing with display. Any real analysis will tell you that the core is the most efficient use of a single core processor, but hardly and developers will say that programming it is an efficient use of their time.

"Linux can turn any system into a general-purpose computer, but for it to work for me I have to run my own code on it for astrophysics applications. The hard part of the job was to make sure my own calculations could run fast on the platform, which meant I had to optimise the written code so it could utilise the new features of the system."What did I say about making it hard for developers?

SpyderMan723
03-05-2008, 04:36 AM
PS3>360 only because i've heard horror stories of discs melting in the 360 and killing the console.

badlandsrox
03-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Goldeneye was terrible. Perfect dark zero was much better than goldeneye, it had more guns, AI bots in multiplayer and better explosions. Goldeneye was the game everyone knew about. Not to mention, looking back on that game it was truely horrendous to play with one joystick since you had to toggle walking and aiming, good thing autoaim was massive.

Yea, a black hole in the "home" development center :dodgy:

BUT REALLY. The only reason this is possible with a PS3 is because it's able to be put in parallel. Supercomputers are made with machines from 1995 all the time. This is no testament to the actual power of the machine as it takes 16 of them, not to mention it says nothing about simulating black holes real time. You could simulate a black hole on a 1995 machine, it would just take months. Not to mention their simulations just run raw calculations and numbers, and do nothing with display. Any real analysis will tell you that the core is the most efficient use of a single core processor, but hardly and developers will say that programming it is an efficient use of their time.

What did I say about making it hard for developers?

The major thing i was gettin at in their, was where it said that the ps3 is more powerful than any home computer on the market, and compares to the supercomputer, but i thought the rest of that stuff was pretty cool too

king-man
03-05-2008, 07:38 AM
PS3>360 only because i've heard horror stories of discs melting in the 360 and killing the console.

There's a simple explantion4 that, dont throw ur xbox in a fire while still playing it:dodgy:

bigred76
03-05-2008, 09:33 AM
:yeahthat: I'm lucky and got one of the new 360's.... NEVER had an issue with overheating. When I played it one time for 12hrs straight (had nothing else to do, cut me some slack) on Assassin's Creed (the most BADASS game I own!!!), the graphics would slow down a little as it loaded something. Saved the game, turned it off and got a drink, turned it back on, and it was good to rock some more!

durrell
03-05-2008, 12:39 PM
I got the Red Ring of Death. :(

Still haven't sent it in yet.

SupaSnipa
03-05-2008, 01:12 PM

I want to know where you heard that

lxm
03-05-2008, 01:55 PM
the worst thing i ever seen happen to a disc in a 360 was it got scratched. the first few runs of 360's could scratch discs if the system was moved or bumped while on but i think they fixed that. I have an elite 360 and bumped it many times and no scratched discs or red ring or anything. the only other time i seen a 360 mess up a disc was when it was dropped off a chair and landed about ten feet away... yea dont ask lol but anyways go 360 all the way

king-man
03-05-2008, 02:38 PM
i never had the red ring, i just had the very first ones that just straight up froze after roughly 30 min

HelpDeskHustler
03-05-2008, 03:13 PM
The major thing i was gettin at in their, was where it said that the ps3 is more powerful than any home computer on the market, and compares to the supercomputer, but i thought the rest of that stuff was pretty cool too

http://alienware.com/
http://www.voodoopc.com/

and those are just the ones that come to mind off the top of my head.

If a 360 melts your disk, I'm nearly positive you're doing something wrong or that if you aren't Microsoft will send you a happy bundle as this is incredibly rare, that is... if it even happens.

Ace24
03-05-2008, 04:21 PM

Lol, I witnessed that in Walmart when the 360 came out. That was what originally deterred me from wanting one. They've fixed that problem though.

Although, I must say, watching a system start smoking on the inside of the display case was rather entertaining. What was even more entertaining was the underpaid, ignorant electronics department manager, scrambling to get the display case key out to open the case before it caught fire and burnt the entire display case and video games.

Perfect Dark Zero? Psh... the origional Perfect Dark was the best. How can you compare a 360 game to a N64 game anyway?

Also, why would Goldeneye get such a good rating if it was such a bad game? That was a very opinionated statement.

Perfect Dark Zero 360 Shooter 8.4 Nov 23, 2005
GoldenEye 007 N64 Shooter 9.7 Aug 25, 1997
Perfect Dark N64 Shooter 9.8 May 19, 2000

^^^ Ratings say it best. Perfect Dark Zero = Fail compared to Golden Eye and Perfect Dark

DFSniper
03-05-2008, 04:42 PM
i agree with ted... IMO the multiplayer was way better for goldeneye (the maps were awesome, and so were the game types), PLUS, perfect dark was based off the goldeneye engine, so of course its going to be a cleaned up version of the game. it came out what, 5-6 years after goldeneye? and i never had trouble walking and shooting. you use the D pad to move and the joystick to aim...

Ace24
03-05-2008, 04:47 PM
i agree with ted... IMO the multiplayer was way better for goldeneye (the maps were awesome, and so were the game types), PLUS, perfect dark was based off the goldeneye engine, so of course its going to be a cleaned up version of the game. it came out what, 5-6 years after goldeneye? and i never had trouble walking and shooting. you use the D pad to move and the joystick to aim...

Joystick to move, C-pad to aim... unless you moved your control style to that?

Perfect dark came out 3 years later, was developed by Rare and so was GoldenEye, so yeah, same engine.

God I can't wait for them to hit VC. *giggle* Especially with the Classic Controller having two joysticks. Second joystick subs for the C-pad, which would make GoldenEye and Perfect Dark amazing. Although the C-pad would still be digital... and not analog... so it would probably still work the same as if the joystick was the C-pad.

DFSniper
03-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Joystick to move, C-pad to aim... unless you moved your control style to that?

yeah... thats what it was. i was too lazy to look at my 64 controller, so i tried to visualize it in my head. forgot all about the c buttons. thanks for making me feel like a major noob, ted! :D

HelpDeskHustler
03-05-2008, 05:00 PM
My bad guys, It's been so long since I typed perfect dark without zero after it. I did mean the original. The new one was terrible. Goldeneye still sucked though. I'm pretty sure R button toggled aim with joystick.

Ace24
03-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Ok. Hahaha. You scared me for a second. Yes, Perfect Dark was better.

R toggled aim crosshair for GoldenEye, yes. Perfect Dark there was a constant crosshair.

StoneSolid
03-05-2008, 05:11 PM
ps3 is better in everyway to 360 except in 1 way, and mybe the most important way, Games availble to play. 360 has better+more games to get but really it is a fact that the hardware of the ps3 is far superior, thus the pricetag...............if only PS3 had halo.....

HelpDeskHustler
03-05-2008, 05:12 PM
did you ever manage to beat the skedar king on "perfect dark" setting? I only beat it on Perfect in coop.

and stonesolid:
The PS3 hardware really isn't much different than Xbox 360 and neither is truely superior, just different means to reach a similar end. The GPU and CPU both clock at the same speed, the RAM is the same and the only real difference is that the PS3 has 7 (or 8 depending on if you count the redundancy core) simulated cores on one single core processor. The Xbox has a tri-core processor, which is hardwired to be tri core, and isn't just running it as a simulation. The notion that PS3 has "superior hardware" is completely flawed. If you'd like for me to explain why, I'd be glad to... but I don't feel like writing the 3 pages I've written multiple times already. Assuming the hardware is superior due to pricetag is really very poor logic. The hardware did indeed cost more to make because it was extremely custom and not something companies made often, but that doesn't mean it's better... It just means it was more costly. Sometimes the two go hand in hand, other times they don't. This is one of those times when they don't.

DFSniper
03-05-2008, 05:20 PM
If you'd like for me to explain why, I'd be glad to... but I don't feel like writing the 3 pages I've written multiple times already.

oh god, please dont! i think we've had enough of that... (If you're still interested, try the search option and look back a year or two)

Ace24
03-05-2008, 05:20 PM
ps3 is better in everyway to 360 except in 1 way, and mybe the most important way, Games availble to play. 360 has better+more games to get but really it is a fact that the hardware of the ps3 is far superior, thus the pricetag...............if only PS3 had halo.....

SOCOM franchise is SONY's Halo.

Wait till SOCOM: Confrontation comes out. Look at the videos online. It should bring some sales back to SONY. Thankfully, Zipper Interactive parted with SONY and dropped the SOCOM franchise, where the makers of Siphon Filter, 989 Studios/SONY Bend, pick it up and hopefully FIX what Zipper destroyed.

HDH: I beat the entire game on every difficulty and unlocked almost everything. I think there were a couple challenges I still needed to do or something, but for the most part, it was almost 100% completed. I can't begin to express how difficult it was to get past that level though. I broke a few controllers with that game.

Ace24
03-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Sorry, 989 is now Slant Six... >.<

HelpDeskHustler
03-05-2008, 05:36 PM
OK good, I thought I was alone. That Skedar king was like General RAAM but harder. Not to mention, skedars cloak. I did pwn every challenge though.

StoneSolid
03-05-2008, 05:48 PM
That's my beef with Sony multiplayer. I've played Socom. Theres NOTHING BUT cheaters. In Xbox live, you'll rarely get a legit cheater. It's nearly impossible to mod your xbox since BIOS on console will flag any console not running stock hardware and report and self ban from xbox live. And Xbox live auto checks BIOS to ensure that you've got no mods there. Xbox Live makes online play more enjoyable. I'm a big fan of the halo series and I played for the story, but Halo to me has always been a vehicle game and when they nerfed vehicles and rebalanced weapons, I was out. Third party games are where it's at, and from all the kids I know who have PS3 and 360, they tell me that 360 is a much better experience. Rainbow Six Vegas, Call of Duty 4, etc. It's all better to play on Live rather than Sony's network. You will get every penny's worth out of xbox live's 5 dollar charge if you play at least 4 hours a week and/or you keep an eye out for all the freebies you get through marketplace. Not to mention if you're REALLY that cheap that 5 dollars a month is so much of a waste, just use xbox connect, it's free... but lacks the community, just like sony online.

Now now lets play nice.

king-man
03-05-2008, 05:53 PM
My keyboard has a mind of it's own.

ok, listen here little noobie, 1, dont tell people to go sit in a corner or they're mentally retatred, second how is that even stupid, hes the one whos made the most since int this thread

WhatThaSmurf
03-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Well since this topic seems to be split into two threads at the same time (sometimes why I love this place), I must put in my two cents on what I consider to be one of the greatest games of all time: Goldeneye 64. Yes Perfect Dark looked better, and played more smoothly, but would that game would have even been possible if Goldeneye had not come out. The fact is, without Goldeneye 64, the console FPS market would still suck today. Goldeneye was the first console FPS to enjoy any sort of success at all, and it got a lot of it. Goldeneye wins over Perfect Dark in my mind the same way games in the Mario series come out on top: doing something successfully that had only been poorly attempted before. I go as far as saying, without Goldeneye 64, there would be no SOCOM, no Halo, and no Call of Duty. At least not on consoles.

kramernator
03-05-2008, 06:08 PM
one of the greatest games of all time: Goldeneye 64.

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

but i have to say that the best game i have ever played is cod4

king-man
03-05-2008, 06:11 PM
but i have to say that the best game i have ever played is cod4

as far as story line and regular playing mode, hell ya, but online play i like Halo 3 way more, i played COD4 once online, OMFG i smoked everyone, it was funny, i thot about doing it again but then i figured id be to high

HelpDeskHustler
03-05-2008, 06:17 PM
COD4 is great. The run and gun part needs to go though. I play hardcore, and that's where it's at. Halo 3 is so bad, it takes too long to kill people, and it's become too much of a foot war. They need to bring back the presence of vehicles in halo 3, since the vehicles are horribly nerfed and no longer a valid strategy, with the hilly environments, masses of AV/AA weapons, and the new limitations of the vehicles.

king-man
03-05-2008, 06:19 PM
At least they took off the Lock on rockets, that was so much BS

Ace24
03-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Lol... but the lock on's are fun when you're vsing your newb friends offline. Heh.

SpyderMan723
03-06-2008, 07:35 AM
I want to know where you heard that

my friend's disc got burnt inside the console and melted

irishwarrior
03-06-2008, 12:11 PM
The PS3 hardware really isn't much different than Xbox 360 and neither is truely superior, just different means to reach a similar end. The GPU and CPU both clock at the same speed, the RAM is the same and the only real difference is that the PS3 has 7 (or 8 depending on if you count the redundancy core) simulated cores on one single core processor. The Xbox has a tri-core processor, which is hardwired to be tri core, and isn't just running it as a simulation. The notion that PS3 has "superior hardware" is completely flawed. If you'd like for me to explain why, I'd be glad to... but I don't feel like writing the 3 pages I've written multiple times already. Assuming the hardware is superior due to pricetag is really very poor logic. The hardware did indeed cost more to make because it was extremely custom and not something companies made often, but that doesn't mean it's better... It just means it was more costly. Sometimes the two go hand in hand, other times they don't. This is one of those times when they don't.

I completely agree

ok, listen here little noobie, 1, dont tell people to go sit in a corner or they're mentally retatred, second how is that even stupid, hes the one whos made the most since int this thread

Caretaker(Chris Rock): Stop the violence, can't we all just get along?!?!?

marvin-martian
03-07-2008, 02:18 PM
I do believe this is the year of the PS3, but I don't think it's very far ahead of the 360 this year. Sony has all of their biggest sellers coming this year that will pump out millions and millions of consoles, especially with the MGS4 bundle and the GT5 bundle in Europe.

We'll be seeing some outrageous technology with Killzone 2's deferred rendering, along with some new gameplay ideas (first-person cover system. FINALLY. Nearly fully destructible environments, etc).

MGS4 is going to be... well, yet another MGS game. Kojima is a mad man and has an enormous following for his games. He's saying that he's putting every single ounce of effort into this title as it's supposed to answer every question anyone ever had with the series. Filling up a 50gb Blu-Ray disc with high-def FMV's, superb audio, and hopefully some real good gameplay (from the trailers, I would say that's already set in stone). Then comes Metal Gear Online which will hopefully be the tactical game it's being made out to be. Regardless of that, you can bet your ass it's going to sell like crazy in Japan.

GT5 is going to move millions of units as well. Finally, there's some damage and the graphics engine is one of the first to utilize real-time raytracing (though, for cars only). I've always loved the depth and layout of the career mode and I can't wait for this game to release. Nor can millions of others.

FFXIII, I'm willing to bet, will drop a huge bomb on people when they finally start showing some real gameplay. The White engine is still being developed and getting its kinks worked out. Square is promising that anyone who plays FFXIII will have a tough time determining which parts of the game are pre-rendered and which parts are ran in real time.

Little Big Planet is on every heavy gamer's mind right now. Either people just plain don't want it to succeed, or they're very hyped to see the game (unless of course, they haven't done their research). The abilities in this game are nearly limitless and anything and everything can be made into a playable level. There's a great article here (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=93853) everyone should read.

Then there's Resistance 2 with 8-player online co op, 60 player online matches, and a change in how they deliver the story (it's now entirely from Hale's perspective). Of course, knowing Insomniac, they'll add yet even more crazy weapons. And Insomniac has been working with Guerilla to the point that Resistance 2 will now be featuring some deferred rendering for some incredible looking shadow work. They're also going to be streaming textures, so we'll see much higher detail in the textures and the gameplay is likely to be pretty damned fun again.

Star Ocean 4 and White Knight Story will both sell like crazy in Japan and likely do pretty well over here as well (I'll be getting both).

God of War 3.... is God of War 3. Nobody needs anything else :P

Ecochrome is going to be an amazing downloadable game for everyone to play. And it comes with a level builder :)

I hope that Home can actually deliver some of its potential. I don't expect it to be doing all too much in the beginning, but as time goes by (I'd guess at around Christmas of this year), we should see some pretty neat features being implemented.

I'm also really looking forward to Fable 2, Ninja Gaiden 2, and the others that the 360 has to offer, but if you add on another $100 price drop to the PS3 this year, it's clearly the year for the PS3 to play some catch up and try to strike a monthly lead.

The best thing about this? I own both consoles. I'll be enjoying both consoles. That is, as long as Spore doesn't consume every waking minute of my existence.

dot.

DFSniper
03-07-2008, 03:41 PM
GT5 is supposed to be the most graphically advanced (aka 'best looking') game ever. and i cant wait for FFXIII!

marvin-martian
03-07-2008, 03:47 PM
GT5 is supposed to be the most graphically advanced (aka 'best looking') game ever. and i cant wait for FFXIII!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gEDlBcdRdfM&feature=related

and FFXIII might actually be the first FF game i play/own.

DFSniper
03-07-2008, 04:02 PM
wow! see if you can find a copy of FFVII. best final fantasy ever, even if the graphics suck, it has the best gameplay, summons system, weapons, and storyline!

HelpDeskHustler
03-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Let's not forget that the original Killzone got a a mere 6.9 review from Gamespot and 7.5 from IGN. I'm not really sure Killzone 2 is something I'd be looking forward to. Not to mention from what I've actually seen it's pretty much run of the mill FPS + newer graphics.

Deferred rendering is in every game that's running UE3, there's no point to get excited over it anymore.

I'm still only mildly impressed by GT5 and MGS4.

Home will not deliver it's potential in a time span that will allow it to be impressive.

FF games and God of war do/mean nothing for/to me, I could look into them, but from what I know, it's not my style. I prefer modern/post modern stuff.

Zues
03-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Guys ok So I first bought a PS3. You can literally go on the internet the connection speed is very fast also the online gaming is free. But you cannot "recover" your files onto another PS3. I bought a XBOX 360 Also so i have both i have played millions of games for both and the XBOX 360 has a wider range of games but i have to pay 55$ a year just to play Live which is the main reason why gamers buy the 360. 55$ Adds up over the years which makes PS3 a better system in the grand scheme of things and in the long run. GTA is Sony Playstation's biggest hits ever Sony has mastered the GTA Series and GTA will be a better game for teh PS3 than the 360 becuase the gameplay will be more smooth and the graphics will be detailed more on the PS3... BEAST

HelpDeskHustler
03-08-2008, 02:52 PM
I have downloaded well over 30 dollars worth of free stuff via xbox live. Not to mention my yearly 55 dollars hasn't nearly added up over the 2 years I've owned the console to the price I would have paid for a PS3 had I bought it when I bought my 360.

Theheroguy
03-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Xbox 360

HelpDeskHustler
03-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Fix: My mistake, I've inadvertently been calling the "Cell" processor made by Sony, the "Core" processor which is not it's correct name. I don't feel like editing my posts, but that's what I meant. I've also been referring to it's architecture as having 7/8 DSP's, and although that's the technical name, Sony likes to call them "SPE's". It's the same thing.

WhatThaSmurf
03-11-2008, 09:29 AM
You will be burned at the stake for your mistakes Claus! Burned!

Unless you happen to weigh less than or equal to a duck.

HelpDeskHustler
03-11-2008, 01:14 PM
You will be burned at the stake for your mistakes Claus! Burned!

Unless you happen to weigh less than or equal to a duck.

Since weight is the product of mass times the acceleration due to gravity, my weight is a subjective quality. If the duck is placed in the vicinity of a greater gravitational force than I am I may weigh less than or equal to that duck. Since the possible setups are infinite, it's acceptable to negate variable differences and assume that each answer (I weigh less than a duck, I weigh the same as a duck or I weigh more than a duck) has the same likelihood of occurring in nature. If I were to follow your guidelines I would be inclined to say that I am 2x more likely to weigh less than or equal to a duck than I am to weigh more than a duck, since each option has a 1/3 chance of occurring, and 2/3 is greater than 1/3. One cannot speak in actuality, but the probability speaks for itself. I probably don't weigh more than a duck.

bigred76
03-11-2008, 01:18 PM
*scratches head* I stopped after the first line, and just read the last sentence. I think he proved he doesn't weigh more than a duck. :questionicon:

We should still burn him at the stake! :D

DFSniper
03-11-2008, 03:04 PM
"Shall we burn her??"

as for what claus posted, i understood it :D

WhatThaSmurf
03-24-2008, 10:39 PM
I am pleased by your response Claus. And I'm glad I wasn't the only one who has seen Monty Python's Holy Grail. And yes, I know this thread is rather dead. BTW, what was the final decision on which system to purchase, since our votes truely don't matter in the end (similar to America's Presidential election)?

HelpDeskHustler
03-25-2008, 07:17 AM
I should make note that Devil May Cry 4 required the player to install a portion of the game on his/her hard drive so that it would load levels 2 seconds faster on the PS3. The process took 20 minutes. It's a slippery slope... how long until all the games need to be installed first on the ps3. So far, it's safe to say that all games on the Xbox function completely from the ROM drive, PS3 can't say that anymore.

Paradox313
03-25-2008, 09:28 AM
That's true unfortunately. Skate took up 4 gigs of space on my PS3.

HelpDeskHustler
03-25-2008, 09:43 AM
Wow... skate required an install too?! I thought it was just DMC4. You'd figure with all that Optical disk space they'd have it read from disk.

Paradox313
03-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Nope. Some games aren't as big as Skate, such as COD4. It's size is only 10MB or more.

I'm kinda scared for GTA:IV. How much space is that gonna use up?

bigred76
03-25-2008, 11:30 PM
The rest of the hard drive that the other games haven't taken up. ;) That's one thing I like about the 360, the hard drive on the EL is twice the size of the biggest HDD for the PS3 (60gb for the arithmetic challenged). Given, not everybody has the EL or has bought the 120gb hard drive, but then again, most people who are into serious gaming and have a bunch of games do. I stopped paying attention to what the downloads take space-wise too. I can pretty much put whatever I damn well please on it.

One mark down on the 360 (in my mind) is that if there is an update out for the game you are playing and you are hooked online, then you MUST download it and restart the Xbox, or else you'll be logged out of Live. Not a big thing, most downloads take a few seconds, but it bugs me when I'm trying to log on quickly.

HelpDeskHustler
03-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Ps3 HDD is actually up to 80gb now FYI. It's also a fairly standard notebook size so if you can find a replacement for fairly cheap you can install it.

And for the PS3 users... I'm not talking like it uses the HDD for saves, cuz xbox does that too... I'm talking about it having a little window that's before the load screen that requires you to install the game, just like a computer.

SpyderMan723
03-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Do you have to pay for online play with the PS3?

I was talking with a friend of mine and he said that PS3's come with a 5 month free online trial thing.I don't believe him.

I think the PS3 is setup just like the PS2 was, correct?

HelpDeskHustler
03-27-2008, 08:05 AM
PS3 is free for online. Unfortunately free still doesn't seem to be better as they've patched a few times to cover a security vulnerability where PC users can access PS3 online account information fairly easily.

xtraking
03-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Wii.

WhatThaSmurf
03-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Agreed. SSBB FTMFW!

HelpDeskHustler
03-28-2008, 03:40 PM
having to unlock songs in a game ftl. still only 4 player multi ftl.

paintballmike
03-29-2008, 08:41 PM
XBOX 360 will definatly win. the ps3 was actually a mistake. the owner of sony even said so. they just wanted to keep up with microsoft and nintendo.

HelpDeskHustler
03-29-2008, 09:32 PM
I think sony will have the edge for about a year between the 360's decline and the release of the supposed xbox 720 (or xbox 3 or whatever). I have no idea what happens then.

xxcarlosxx
03-29-2008, 10:11 PM
i voted for the ps3 for the following reasons

-free online(compared to $55 a year for xbox)
-no RINGS OF DEATH lol
-blu-ray (hd-dvd adapter for xbox is like $200)
-wi-fi is already included(xbox needs an adapter)
-any bluetooth headset works on it (i borrowed it from my brother:D)
-exclusives like metal gear solid 4, god of war, socom, haze, killzone 2, and gran turismo
-rechargable batteries are already built in to the controllers(im not sure if new xbox's have it built in already but old one didnt, u had to buy them separately)
-ps3's had hdmi to begin with (only recent xbox systems have hdmi)
-better graphics
-upgradeable hard drive (laptop hard drives are ps3 compatible)
-you can also install linux on it
-web browser(im not sure if xbox has it but w/e ill list it anyways)
-sixaxis motion sensors (isnt a big deal really but w/e its still sumthing to consider)

the truth is that xbox is more popular now because it got a 1 year head start on ps3... if ps3 would've come out first, xbox wouldn't be in the lead. im truly satisfied with my ps3 so far and i would never change it for an xbox.

So to summarize, !!!!!!!PS3 FTW!!!!!!!

HelpDeskHustler
03-30-2008, 11:37 AM
You're honestly an idiot if you think there is a noticeable graphics difference. The have nearly identical GPU's and the only edge PS3 has is the ability to calculate more polygons on screen. This would seem to be an edge but since their GPU can't populate these new polygons with actual graphical display any better than the Xbox GPU, they'd have to lower the resolution just to add a skin to the new polygon at a similar speed. Polygons are great, but without a higher end GPU you can't do a whole lot with them.

Not to mention, you can install Linux on anything now-a-days. You could install Linux on original xboxes, ps2s, gameboys, ipods, etc. The main point that should be made is that installing Linux will not get you banned from PlayStation's online network, where as it will result in an instant and permanent ban from xbox live. What does this mean? It means you won't see anybody with modded software on xbox live, cheating for wins.

I'd also like to point out that aside from the mild inconvenience, the red ring of death won't set you back a dime, since Microsoft has replaced every console that has this (unwarranted... some people provoked it... ie modding) error for free since the console has been released. This compares rather well to Sony's service, where they would not replace an overheated console because of dust (it should be noted that PS3's are rather notorious for attracting a large amount of dust on their own from the static).

HDMI is a waste of money. It looks no better than RGB composite output, it just costs a ton more for the cord, and is mildly more convenient since you only need to plug in one cord rather than 3. Microsoft knew this, which is why it wasn't included to begin with, after an outcry of idiots who didn't know better and thought more expensive = better, they finally put it in.

Again, wifi, waste of time. Your console is a stationary item, it costs so much less just to run a wire and avoid the hassle of people hacking into your network. Trust me, it's very easy to do, stop using wifi. Not to mention, it cuts internet speed by nearly 2/3 most of the time, which isn't ideal for gaming. Sure, it's nice for you when you set it up, but chances are... the lag will be unbearable for you and probably anyone who plays with you. Count your friends on one hand.

Killzone sucked. How many times do I have to remind you guys this. Killzone sucked. Killzone sucked. Why do you keep bringing the series up as a positive. I don't look forward to the next perfect dark for xbox... why? because the last one SUCKED.
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/561/561669p1.html
http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2/killzone/562748p1.html
http://ps2.gamezone.com/gamesell/reviews/r22738.htm
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/killzone/review.html
This is the game you are looking forward to a sequel for. I'll see you guys at BloodRayne 3 movie directed by Uwe Boll. :dodgy:

Free online is terrible, I'd rather pay 15 cents a day for Xbox live, a service with far more players, better support and more features.
FIFTEEN CENTS A DAY OMFG SO SPENSIVE!1!!!!ONEELEVEN!
Ask your parents to see the water bill, I guarantee you pay more a day for WATER than you do for Xbox Live.

Sixaxis blows, that's why Lair sucked so bad. Oh my bad, you were looking forward to Lair 2 weren't you?

DFSniper
03-30-2008, 12:14 PM
way to flame, claus! for you it may be close to nothing, but for all the kiddies out there that don't have a job, $50 is a lot! until i had my first job, my allowance was $10 a month. and most parents (at least in my experiences, i'm assuming your parents are different) get really pissed off when their kids want to "waste" money by paying for something they don't really need (i.e. subscriptions/memberships for video games)

xxcarlosxx
03-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Dam dude chill out,
-first of all, ps3's haven't been able to get hacked yet... which is good because no cheaters and no piracy issues
(the only hacks ive seen are the colored names on cod4 OMG)
-second of all you wont get banned for using linux because its not a mod.. theres even an option on the setting menu that explains how to install other OS
-ps3 might attract dust but it wont burn on you... i know u can easily send it back in for repair by mail but its a hassle and it takes a while.
-i got my hdmi cable for free so i havent gotten to try composite cables w/e
-wi-fi is not a waste because maybe sum of us dont have computers right next to our systems... they might be in another room or even on the second floor
-i do agree that killzone sucks though :D im just listing exclusives
-i know $55 dollars a year is not much but w/e its still sumthing that i could use for buying a game or buying stuff 4 paintball
-sixaxis (like i said b4) isnt a big deal but its nice to have anyways for the games u buy at the playstation store (fl0w rocks!). they havent really implemented sixaxis in any games in a good way but eventually it might come in handy.(snake cam in rbsv2)

and no... im not looking forward to lair cuz i wasnt interested in the first one to begin with...

DFSniper
03-30-2008, 12:43 PM
they havent really implemented sixaxis in any games in a good way but eventually it might come in handy.(snake cam in rbsv2)

Heavenly Sword. using the sixaxis to control the arrows was one of the coolest innovations IMO.

xxcarlosxx
03-30-2008, 12:59 PM
i never played heavenly sword but ya i meant in those ways... it won't change much but its a nice feature to have anyways:p

DFSniper
03-30-2008, 01:37 PM
basically it turned your arrows into guided missiles that you guided through torches/ rings of fire and ultimately into barrels of gunpowder. flaming arrows: coolest projectiles ever invented!

HelpDeskHustler
03-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I could FIND 15 cents every day.

and here's your link. http://consumerist.com/consumer/sony/dust-voids-ps3-warranty-321226.php

timmyshoota
03-30-2008, 05:45 PM
PS3 wins, because claus isn't on it, telling you to play a certain game, and then plays a different one when you get on. :dodgy:

HelpDeskHustler
03-30-2008, 06:12 PM
sorry, my friends just showed up at my house with plastic guitars in their hands. Am I supposed to be more of a loser than that and be like "oh I can't play I promised my e-friends I'd play Rainbow Six, you guys can't play... you can watch though".

WhatThaSmurf
03-31-2008, 02:14 AM
claus = rapesauce at arguements

03-31-2008, 09:29 PM
I could FIND 15 cents every day.

and here's your link. http://consumerist.com/consumer/sony/dust-voids-ps3-warranty-321226.php

"it's too dusty" LOL