PDA

View Full Version : Air Tank Filling

pbfreak3221
02-27-2008, 01:42 PM
I asked this question over on the nation, and it was instantly locked claiming to be unsafe. I was wondering, my field for the longest time had the rule that refs were the only ones aloud to fill tanks. They just are beginning to let us. I have been playing for two years, and feel like a noob for asking this. Do you just pull back the attachment on the end of the hose, and push over the nipple. Then you slowly push down the lever till the compressor is putting out 4500 psi, and then look at your air tank reg and once it hits 68. Is that it, then I just remove it? Is there a certain speed I should fill it? What should I watch out for?

colonel_moo
02-27-2008, 02:34 PM
filling tanks is extremely easy. i doubt your field's compressor/booster will output more than 4500 psi to begin with, but basically you connect the hose to the fill nipple and hit the lever until your tank gets to 4500 psi.

bigred76
02-27-2008, 02:37 PM
You have a 4500psi tank I'm assuming, right? Find out where the fill station is for that at your field. You pretty much have it. If you've ever had a remote line, the way to fill the tank is basically the same way as hooking it up. Slide the slide check down, push it onto the fill nipple, and let the slide come back up. That seals your tank to the air line, don't touch it while filling! Pull the lever either way and hold it while looking at the gauge on your tank and when it hits 4500psi or wont go any higher, whichever comes first, you're full. Most fill lines are regulated to only put out the amount that's specified so idiots don't destroy their tanks. Release your hold on the lever and it'll return to its "neutral" spot in the middle and bleed the air out of the hose running to your tank. After you hear the bleed-off, undo the fill nipple in the same way you put it on. ;)

I don't know why this'd be considered unsafe... I've always filled my own tank except at the paintball shop. :confused: The only thing that you have to worry about is some dumb**** before you putting oil inside a leaking fill nipple. Check the hose for oil (just a quick feel and you should be able to tell) before you fill the tank. If there is oil, call over the field ref and explain to him if he doesn't already that it's unsafe. The oil under that much pressure, even 3000psi, is VERY flammable and most likely WILL explode. It's what happened the last time a tank in the UK catastrophically failed. Someone before the poor guy put oil on their leaking fill nipple, and when the dude filled it... BOOM! I believe it was third degree burns on his hands, a destroyed jersey, and a crater in the ground among other things. Don't worry about it too much, but just take the precaution. There are far too many idiots out there to idly fill your tank anymore.

pbfreak3221
02-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Okay the fixture is similar to my fill nipple cover right right? And will it be easy to tell when the bleeding is done? and would it be bad if it was removed before the bleeding was done? And yes I have a 68/45 and a 45/45.

bigred76
02-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Those'll both fill the same way, but the 45/45'll be a quicker fill. The bleeding's very quick, and you can hear it. It's very, very hard (not impossible, just not giving any advice on how to bypass it's safety features) to get a pressurized slide check open anyways. It depends on what fill nipple cover you have, they all work differently... I just pop mine off and back on. If you have the metal one that when you pull back a slide you can see ball bearings on it, then yes.