PDA

View Full Version : car question

DFSniper
02-20-2008, 02:55 PM
last month i got a 2001 Mitsubishi Galant ES (with 116K miles) for my first car. i looked it up online today, and the ES is supposed to have a 3L V6 (@195HP) in it. but under my hood, it say 2.4L 16valve. i could probably get a carfax report to see if the engine was swapped, but i don't have the money for one, so i was wondering if anybody knew anything about the car. if the engine was swapped, don't you have to reset the odometer? (its been a few years since i helped my dad mess with engines) it doesn't feel like it has the 2.4 because i can outrun my friend's V6 Camaro :D

here's the link i got it from: >>linky here<< (http://www.internetautoguide.com/car-specifications/99-int/2001/mitsubishi/galant/es-sedan/647/index.html)
and motortrend.com listed the exact same specs.

vwjimmy
02-20-2008, 03:08 PM
It is unlikely the motor has been switched. I am pretty sure I have seen 2.4 ES models....but I have seen lots of people (including me ;) ) change the rear emblems to make people think. ES was a trim package, not a performance package so I think it was available with both engines.
No, you NEVER mess with the miles, no matter what you do to the car.
The twin cam 2.4 is a very strong 4 banger and would feel stout if you have never driven the V6
I would enjoy the car and not sweat it much.
Hope this helps!

EDIT: Both NADA and Kelly Blue Book show both engines for the ES.

DFSniper
02-20-2008, 03:22 PM
hmm, thanks jimmy. when i looked online, i only found the v6 listed. and it is a fun car to drive, i'd rather drive it than my mom's '07 focus!

XSiv Force
02-20-2008, 03:57 PM
You can not reset the odometer because it dosnot only measure miles on the engine it also measures miles on the tranny and rear axle. Plus it is illegal to do so. There is a possibility that the car did come that way either as a special order or a mix up at the dealership. Is there any way to get in contact with the original owner

Hossy
02-20-2008, 04:00 PM
For the record, just like the guy above me said, its not just the engine that shows the body.
Usually people have all of the papers when they did maintainance work to the car, showing when on the odometer the new engine was switched out.

battlechaser
02-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Nope, no touchy the odometer.

And if they swapped the motor themselves, it's highly likely there wouldn't be any papers for it.

Besides with gas prices these days, I'd be glad to have the 4 cylinder.

DFSniper
02-20-2008, 04:15 PM
yeah, ive been getting 28-29 mpg, so i'm not really complaining!!

Hossy
02-20-2008, 04:41 PM
yeah, ive been getting 28-29 mpg, so i'm not really complaining!!

I checked my little dashboard thing today, and It said im getting 13.5 MPG.
:(
you should be happy with DOUBLE my gas mileage :(

Hoppy11
02-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Ummm v6 maros are possibly the slowest 'sports' car out there too lol. They are big heavy and are still under powered even with the 305. My civic would stay with my neighbors when he had it.

TheRedBarron
02-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Ummm v6 maros are possibly the slowest 'sports' car out there too lol. They are big heavy and are still under powered even with the 305. My civic would stay with my neighbors when he had it.

Troof, there is no sense in owning a camaro unless it has at least a 350, and really that isnt too much fun unless its all redone with aftermarket parts.

that Gallant stock could easily walk away from a V6 Maro like hoppy said.

DFSniper
02-21-2008, 07:03 PM
yeah, his camaro has some serious problems. we're having "bad" weather (not bad for me because i dont have to go to class :D) and he has trouble driving in the slush/ice because he doesnt have enough weight on the rear end so his tires can't grip! we havent really "raced" each other, but from 0 to 55-60, my car accelerates WAY faster!

durrell
02-21-2008, 09:35 PM
My old Mustang would absolutely destroy my friend's V6 Camaro. Those things were SLOW.

TheDarkShadow
02-22-2008, 05:42 PM
V6s FTL
350s FTMFW

pilotsoldier83
02-22-2008, 06:41 PM

just a little piece of knowledge hoppy, 305 has 8 cylinders. ive had quite a few of them and they have the potential to be a powerfull engine if you have the money. im not positive of what size the v6 camaro has in it, but its not a 305.

TheDarkShadow
02-22-2008, 06:51 PM
just a little piece of knowledge hoppy, 305 has 8 cylinders. ive had quite a few of them and they have the potential to be a powerfull engine if you have the money. im not positive of what size the v6 camaro has in it, but its not a 305.

305 isnt bad if its in a car, if its in a truck or van.... eh its a little weak imo

I beleive V6 camaros have a 3.4L or 3.8L although it would have been cool if they put a 4.3 in it, those are pretty good V6s especially for S10s they could burn some rubber