PDA

View Full Version : Writing Informative Speech...

chubb0rz
02-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Well I have to write a Informative Speech for my public speaking class and was almost stumped on a topic.

I was considering talking about the recent findings that bio-fuels might be more harmful then beneficial. It is only required to be 3 minutes and I have to break it down to 3 ideas. The topic can be about anything just not vulgar or offensive.

If you have some suggestions for topics or comments on my topic I am all ears.

:o

bigred76
02-19-2008, 08:32 PM
*looks around forum and thinks real hard...* Paintball? :) Not many know how much of a sport paintball actually is. You could speak on various aspects of paintball that might be interesting to those outside the sport.

Other than that... I have no ideas, if I think of anything good I'll pass it on. Good luck Dave!

durrell
02-19-2008, 08:35 PM
I did an informative speech on how to disassemble a paintball gun.

I KNOW you could do that. ;)

DFSniper
02-19-2008, 08:43 PM
OMG, i HATED my public speaking class. i did a 3 minute informative speech on the NPPL, but the teacher told me i didnt go into enough detail. he wanted me to explain how to play paintball and all the terminology. you cant do that in 3 minutes!!!!

chubb0rz
02-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Haha good point d. I was thinking about paintball but my mind would wonder and suddenly I am search on forums and ebay for parts I was looking for.

Maybe the three different types of paintball players. Beginner, Rec and Tournament?

Different Leagues could be another topic. NPPL, PSP and XSPL?

I also need a visual aid so I might put a poll up for what to take. I can borrow guns and misc equipment from the shop so that isnt a problem :)

OMG, i HATED my public speaking class. i did a 3 minute informative speech on the NPPL, but the teacher told me i didnt go into enough detail. he wanted me to explain how to play paintball and all the terminology. you cant do that in 3 minutes!!!!

The terminology is going to be the difficult part I can see as there is a lot you have to teach them.

Drefish99
02-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Do your own homework :p

chubb0rz
02-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Do your own homework :p

I am conducting research so I may better educate my audience while not boring them beyond belief. I am also using it as a means to get my creative thought flowing after hitting a dry spell. In other words, I am empowering the members of this board to chime in with their suggestions and possible sway my process of thought. :rolleyes:

Who said we couldn't have help? :D

vikingshadow
02-20-2008, 04:46 AM
I did an informative speech in college on how to make a grilled cheese sandwich with a clothes iron (living in the dorm where no stoves allowed...)

I enjoyed doing it so much, that now I teach my 5th graders the same lesson when we do expository writing!

Critical
02-20-2008, 05:35 AM
Three minutes is not a long time. Keep it to a simple topic (like vikes sandwich making, that's a good idea of complexity of subject matter). Keep in mind that all good speeches should have an opening, a middle and an end, so leave some little time for that. An expert in public speaking told me once that his best speeches go like this: "tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, then tell them what you told them."

chubb0rz
02-20-2008, 06:50 AM
Three minutes is not a long time. Keep it to a simple topic (like vikes sandwich making, that's a good idea of complexity of subject matter). Keep in mind that all good speeches should have an opening, a middle and an end, so leave some little time for that. An expert in public speaking told me once that his best speeches go like this: "tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, then tell them what you told them."

Yes best advice. I have actually heard it from my teacher and dad as well so it must work. I want something simple but I couldn't help myself to staying away from the complex ones. I would like to save a paintball topic for my later speeches as those are going to be longer and will be easier for me to fill that time.

HelpDeskHustler
02-20-2008, 09:02 AM
I did an informative speech in college on how to make a grilled cheese sandwich with a clothes iron (living in the dorm where no stoves allowed...)

I enjoyed doing it so much, that now I teach my 5th graders the same lesson when we do expository writing! Thats the simplest of the college cookbook. You could have done ramen in the coffee pot, hotdogs with a stripped lamp wire, etc.

vikingshadow
02-20-2008, 09:38 AM
And your point?

Yes, it was simple. But it fell within the context of the assignment.

Was it expository? Yes. Did it give information? Yes. Did I explain how to do something? Yes. Were there multiple steps? They way I did it, yes. Was the audience interested, did I get a good grade and was it fun? Yes, yes, and yes. All that interpreted into assignment completed, A+ grade recieved, and fun had by all...

Remember, sometimes the best (read enjoyable and interesting) assignments are those that aren't so deeply thought out and are made purely for enjoyment of the masses - not the one or two "intellectuals" in the class. If I can share ANYTHING with college students these days, it's that the "game" of college has specific rules - and they don't all include mind boggling equations and deep philosophy. The rules are to get you further prepared for LIFE outside of schooling - not just your job. Have fun, because these are the best 4 - 8 years of your life!

Also, remember that this was back in the 80's so it wasn't so well known back then - at least not on my campus! ;)

DFSniper
02-20-2008, 09:46 AM
at first i thought claus was joking, but because im bored (in the library between class and work) i decided to look it up, and found this (http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:JGN4RB8LYWoJ:allrecipes.com/HowTo/Campus-Cooking-the-Advanced-Course/Detail.aspx+college+cookbook+%22grilled+cheese%22+ %22clothes+iron%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us), a whole site dedicated to college cooking! maybe this will help you out, chubbz!