PDA

View Full Version : Any way of Chronographing without a guage? Guesstimating

Mascman
02-17-2008, 02:31 AM
Without actually using a guage, is there any way to get your marker into the ball-park? What actually would that ball-park be anyways?

I am thinking of something like a:
Measure off X-amount of distance, then count how many seconds it takes for the ball to travel, then multiply by Y, blah, blah, blah, type of thing.

Don't know if it's feasible or not.

I went from my stock barrel to a BT barrel that's 16" long and it is not as accurate, but I'm guessing it may have to do with velocity.

The balls are a little bit of a tighter fit in the BT also, but they do go through.

spray and pray
02-17-2008, 03:34 AM
yes you can. You multiply x and y together and you get your velocity. :dodgy:

No, absolutely no way of telling it without a chrono.

Mascman
02-17-2008, 04:00 AM
Thanks.

At those speeds it would probably be hard to time.

What do you think about my accuracy problem? Up the velocity?

Least I can do is try it.

spray and pray
02-17-2008, 04:30 AM
velocity too high?

vikingshadow
02-17-2008, 05:07 AM
No. Uh uh. Not a chance. Each gun is different, each velocity different, each ball is different, humidity, wind, barrel length, Co2 vs HPA, spring tension, so on and so forth. There are WAY too many variables to calculate speed correctly without a chronograph. DON'T EVEN TRY IT!

Accuracy problem? Number one solution - practice, practice, practice.

After lots of practicing, if you still have problems, look at the paint being used, type of propellant (air vs Co2) barrel to paint match, how good of condition the paint is in, wind, humidity, consistancy of the gun, etc.

Then, realize that you're shooting a gelatin ball with seams that's filled with a liquid that isn't rotating the same as the outer shell and that accuracy, most usually, is measured the same as horseshoes and hand grenades.

Good luck!

deano 177
02-17-2008, 05:37 AM
No there is no way of testing your markers with out a chronograph. You should get all your local guys to chip in $5 and try to catch one on sale. You can also try ebay. They always have a couple 30 (http://search.ebay.com/paintball-chronograph_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQcatrefZC6QQdfspZ1QQfr omZR10QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ3QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsabfmtsZ1Q QsacatZQ2d1QQsaobfmtsZinsifQQsbrsrtZd) on their site.

xsvly-fat
02-17-2008, 08:40 AM
have some one shoot you and then get shoot again by another marker that you know is running around 280 fps and see if it feels the same :dodgy:

mr1 sniper
02-17-2008, 10:03 AM
have some one shoot you and then get shoot again by another marker that you know is running around 280 fps and see if it feels the same :dodgy:
i like that idea :D

krashtestdummie
02-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Awww. but you are all wrong. If only you were a physicist and knew about certain formulas. Instead of trying to explain it to you I found this website that should help you out. Keep in mind the distance and time have to be very accurate and getting the time just right might be a problem in itself.
Velocity Time & Distance Calculator (http://www.1728.com/velocity.htm)

shunut
02-17-2008, 10:21 AM
:yeahthat:

You could actually get an accurate time fairly easily, time consuming but it could be done. Video tape it. Then you can use your computer to slow down the video so you can see the exactly time you fire and the exact time you hit your target at a known distance away. Plug it into an equation and you're there.

kramernator
02-17-2008, 10:39 AM
^^ sounds like a good idea to me, then you save like $80!!

Mascman
02-17-2008, 12:31 PM
As far as the accuracy, I can hit a tree consisitently with the stock MR1 barrel, then switch to the BT AK47 16" barrel and it's terrible!

It seems that all the barrels out there have fancy milling and steps in the barrel which would make changing the handgrip to a different barrel pretty tough.

I tried upping the velocity, but the BT barrel doesn't shoot the Recon balls as well as the stocker.

Possibly a ball size problem? When I drop the ball into the barrel, I've actually had to push some though with a rod...of course some fell right through, and the majority I had to blow a little into it which seemed like a good fit.

xsvly-fat
02-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Awww. but you are all wrong. If only you were a physicist and knew about certain formulas. Instead of trying to explain it to you I found this website that should help you out. Keep in mind the distance and time have to be very accurate and getting the time just right might be a problem in itself.
Velocity Time & Distance Calculator (http://www.1728.com/velocity.htm)

my idea is more fun though

Kenny_McCormic
02-17-2008, 04:02 PM
:yeahthat:

You could actually get an accurate time fairly easily, time consuming but it could be done. Video tape it. Then you can use your computer to slow down the video so you can see the exactly time you fire and the exact time you hit your target at a known distance away. Plug it into an equation and you're there.

Or spend a weekend mowing lawns for little old ladies and have the money for a tool that will instantly give you a reading. If you will settle for a used, cheap, accurate enough for safety, yellow handheld you can probably have the money in an afternoon.

Mascman
02-18-2008, 04:02 AM
Or spend a weekend mowing lawns for little old ladies and have the money for a tool that will instantly give you a reading. If you will settle for a used, cheap, accurate enough for safety, yellow handheld you can probably have the money in an afternoon.

I'm 38 and make over $40k. I spend an hour a week mowing my own lawn.

If I want the tool badly enough, I'll buy it, but I was just switching back and forth between these barrels and don't have the equipmet right in front of me so I figured I'd ask.

I paid $70 bucks for this barrel and was trying to see if it's inaccurate becuase of the ball size, low velocity, or if it's just a crappy barrel.

spray and pray
02-18-2008, 05:19 AM
The best bet I could say if you don't have a chrono is if you have a friend with a gun that is set to somewhere around 280fps shoot yours and raise/lower your velocity to try and make it shoot the same. That will probably not be accurate, I had to do it twice.

deano 177
02-18-2008, 06:26 AM
The best bet I could say if you don't have a chrono is if you have a friend with a gun that is set to somewhere around 280fps shoot yours and raise/lower your velocity to try and make it shoot the same. That will probably not be accurate, I had to do it twice.

:( I would hate for you to do it this way. The fellas that I played with would still not have a chrono if I didn't buy one. They all used to ***** when I turned their markers down to 280fps. But I am not gonna play without a chrono and I'm not gonna play if you're shooting 300+. They think because they hit -300 out of 5 shots that their being safe. It really pisses me off some times that I had to argue with them to be safe. Most of them understand the safty aspect and now help me with the chrono before we play. If I see some one working on their markers or changing barrels, I will casually walk over there when they go to the shooting range and stand there with the chrono and *make* them test their guns. I don't care if they think I'm an arse or not. I'm not gonna get hurt because some d!ck doesn't want to chrono.

king-man
02-18-2008, 10:29 AM
in theory you could take your gun put it up to a board. shoot it and time it. now if you have a 12in barrel take how ever many seconds it and divide the barrel by the sec. and you would get the closest your gonna get to finding it out with out a chrono. but you wouuld have to have mad relfexes to time it. you could spread it out but they lose velosity quik outside the barrel.

phatphil
02-24-2008, 08:10 AM
You certainly can calculate a rough estimate of the velocity with basic kinematics from Physics. That being said, that estimate isn't safe enough to rely on if you'll be playing with it. Before you play, you need to shoot over a Chrono and adjust accordingly.

Mascman
02-24-2008, 03:27 PM
My whole reason was lost in this thread.

I was changing barrels and wasn't sure if the barrel was crap, the velocity was too low, or the paintballs didn't match well.

I wanted to see if the AK47 barrel was just cool looking but bad shooting and was trying to weed out the possiblilities.

I tried a different paint brand, raised the velocity and could shoot as accurately as I could with the other barrel and paint combo.

I'm satisfied that I now have a good match for the AK barrel and that it wasn't a total waste of money.