PDA

View Full Version : Cool thing I learned about today!

vikingshadow
02-17-2006, 01:57 PM
Before I start, let me say that I'm not making any money on this, nor am I affiliated with this company. It's just so cool, I had to tell you guys!

I'm a member of the technology team in my school district, and we had a meeting today. During that meeting, we discussed this company called Skype. You've heard of those internet phone companies that let you call anywhere in the world through your computer? This one is absolutely FREE! I don't know how they get their funding.

Apparantly, schools all over the world are using this company to visit with each other, and it's been around for awhile (over 255 million people have downloaded it). All you have to do is download the program to your computer, sign on, have speakers and a microphone and you have FREE phone service through your computer. It also supports webcams so you can see who you're talking to. You can also conference call (but not with the webcams, I think.) The drawback is it has to be at your computer. You have to pay to connect to regular phones.

I've been playing with it all day, and it's too cool! I figure if you guys wanna do this, you can pm me and each other with your names so they can be added to your list. Kinda like AIM or IM, but better because you don't have to type anything. The website is www.skype.com.

Nader
02-17-2006, 02:01 PM
Yeah dude! skype is pretty dang cool!

But you have to pay to be able to call out someone who doesn't have skype, I think that's where they get their money...

vikingshadow
02-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Yeah, it's the same thing as IM'ing someone - you have to have a cell or a computer. Other than that, it's cool!

thechubbss12
02-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Sounds like an awsome idea. I dunno if i want to download it though LOL.

phatphil
02-17-2006, 08:34 PM
I got Skype when the big craze swept on KUSA back in the day, used it for a couple weeks, and haven't opened it once since then. It's easier & more convenient to type to people on aim in my opinion, and a lot more people have aim than skype, it is pretty cool though.

Amg*TyranT*
01-14-2007, 01:32 PM
so its like msn!!!! same thing just different company and all it is probaly is they advertise sum how or have sum thing goingwith the school and the government so really al it is is msn just different name no need to get all excited

vikingshadow
01-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Um, first of all - this thread was nearly a year old. Getting all excited - sheesh. :rolleyes:

Second of all, it's nothing like MSN. Skype has absolutely nothing going with the school or the government. There is no advertising - I've used it ever since I posted this thread, and not once have the advertised or asked me to buy something. It's an online PHONE company, and you can make calls to anyone with a computer that has the program, as well as to land base lines AND cell phones now. How is that like MSN?

Since you brought it back though, I've used the phone part more than the IM part. Also have a webcam. It's pretty cool, but people are a bit hesitant to get on a web cam these days...

Third of all - my eyes are bleeding! If you're going to post like that about year old posts, make sure the original poster isn't an ENGLISH/WRITING teacher! :rolleyes:

:D

Theheroguy
01-14-2007, 02:00 PM
dang I liked to get the guys who revive old post recently

xtraking
01-14-2007, 04:08 PM
I made a post about this so long ago and nobody showed any interest haha.

edit: WOA old post.

durrell
01-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Hmm we'll go ahead and kill this one. :up: