PDA

View Full Version : Free HDD merging/partition software help

DFSniper
02-13-2008, 02:53 PM
i wiped my hard drive and reinstalled windows. since the basic XP installation only reads 137 GB of HDD space (out of the 160GB on my disk), i have another 25GB sitting around. i turned that into a second drive, but its not big enough for all my music and videos. i know i can slipstream SP2 into the XP installation CD, which i'm probably going to end up doing, but i dont want to reinstall windows AGAIN (i've reinstalled windows on 3 different computers in my house since sunday!) and i dont want to pay $70 for Partition Magic.

colonel_moo
02-13-2008, 04:14 PM
get an Ubuntu CD, run it live and use Gparted. I use it to partition, ive never tried to add space onto a partition though, so i'm not quite sure it can even do it. Its worth a shot though, its free!

chubb0rz
02-13-2008, 04:48 PM
There is another one built off a linux distro, no install needed just boot it and it will fix it. I'll look for that cd because I don't remember the name.

DFSniper
02-13-2008, 05:24 PM
thanks chubbz. and moo, i threw away my ubuntu cd last summer because i couldnt get it to run or install on my computer. it kept locking my computer up when i tried doing either one...

chubb0rz
02-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Ok, it is called Parted Magic (no not partition magic) and it is free just download the ISO and burn a bootable cd with it.

bamf-hacker
02-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Get a copy of the Ultimate Boot Disk and have fun. It is free and downloadable.

and on a side note... THUMP I just fell out of my chair. Chubbz is that really you????

DFSniper
02-13-2008, 05:45 PM
thanks again chubbz, im going to try partedmagic right now. it took me a while to figure out exactly how to use it, but i think i understand it now.

HelpDeskHustler
02-13-2008, 06:05 PM
I thought I used CMD to do it once... but maybe I'm thinking of DOS w/ Fdisk.

I'm almost positive any repartitioning will result in the clearing of the section receiving the partition regardless of what program you used. FDisk cleared my entire 8gb xbox HDD when I put linux on it.

DFSniper
02-14-2008, 07:27 AM
well, PartedMagic didnt work. my graphics card seems to not like linux video drivers, which may be the reason i was never able to install ubuntu. when the screen went black, i hit ctrl+alt+backspace and it took me to the display settings screen, and none of the generic or ATI drivers worked. it kept taking me back to the screen when i tried to continue after changing the settings. so now im back to square one. when i get time, im going to try it with the Ultimate Boot CD, but i doubt itll be any different.

chubb0rz
02-14-2008, 07:31 AM
ah yea that sucks, I had that problem with one of my dual boot systems. The driver version I needed wasnt out for linux yet. :( sucks

what you could do is find a win98 cd and i think fdisk is on there or if you can find a win98 computer (lol good luck) you can make a boot disk. When I get home I will see if I can email you that as a zip or something.

bamf-hacker
02-14-2008, 07:48 AM
Why wont you listen to me....

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

there I even gave you the link.

DFSniper
02-14-2008, 08:00 AM
my mom wanted to downgrade back to 98 when i wiped her HDD, but we couldn't find the cd, only the case :(

well, im doing some searching between classes, and i came across this. (http://2www.computing.net/windowsvista/wwwboard/forum/1295.html) if you read response #2, it seems like i may be SOL. it says:
You cannot reallocate the space from the logical partition back to the primary partition (drive c). It has to come from the extended partition (drive d).
so is it saying that i can't make my C: drive partition larger because its the primary partition, or am i reading it wrong? and everything that i can find from microsoft about fdisk and repartitioning involves wiping the HDD.

DFSniper
02-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Why wont you listen to me....

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

there I even gave you the link.

when i get time, im going to try it with the Ultimate Boot CD
:p

durrell
02-14-2008, 08:40 AM
Try the Gparted Live CD.

It is a partition manager with every video driver imaginable. I haven't found a computer that it won't boot on.

http://download.tuxfamily.org/gpartedlive/gparted-livecd-0.3.4-11.iso

When you boot it, try "Force VESA driver" and that should work.

DFSniper
02-14-2008, 10:45 AM
thanks D. now i just need to find more blank disks. i walked into the house and my mom asked if i had any because she's all out...

found one!

DFSniper
02-14-2008, 11:31 AM
hey D, my computer doesn't like the VESA driver :D

actually, i got to the main screen (desktop) the first time, but GParted wouldn't run, so i backed out, and ever since then i haven't been able to get back in...

jkersh
02-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Gparted is the only way to go. I have tried the windoze versions and they just dont cut it. see post #14

colonel_moo
02-14-2008, 09:59 PM
When you boot ubuntu, are you booting in safe graphics mode? if you're not, try that.

DFSniper, that quote only mentions logical partitions (aka swap partition). I'm not sure what difference that makes. I don't know why you can't just delete the swap partition then add it back on.

DFSniper
02-15-2008, 05:40 PM
i cant remember how i tried booting ubuntu. all i remember is that it would start installing/running something, and my video driver would give out. and like i said before, i chucked my Ubuntu cd sometime over the summer (or i just lost it in the move...).