PDA

View Full Version : Going in for surgery

pb34
02-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Well after waiting about a month it was decided that I need to have surgery on my shoulder. I popped it out playing hockey a few times and it turns out that I tore some cartilage. They have to go in and repair that so it stops happening. I have to wear an immobilizer sling for 1 month then a few months of physical therapy. No hockey for 5-6 months :(. Just thought I'd let you guys know and maybe ask for some good wishes. :)

shunut
02-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Good luck man. I hope you get some good lookin nurses and good pain killers :waytogo:

pb34
02-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Haha thanks! I've already got the prescription for Vicodin :D Oh and the surgery is on Thursday (Valentines Day).

shunut
02-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Perfect day to fall in love with a nurse. I've been in the hospital a lot in my life and I've only had 3-4 hot nurses, so I really wish you good luck on that. Hot nurses make everything better.

Is it In-Patient or Out-Patient?

TheDarkShadow
02-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Good luck man. I hope you get some good lookin nurses and good pain killers :waytogo:

:yeahthat:

battlechaser
02-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Hope everything goes well.

And request a sponge bath for me.

I mean literally. for me. I'm *THAT* lazy. :D

Hoppy11
02-11-2008, 08:09 PM
I hope you don't like water sports because they will tell you never to do any of them ever again.

Atleast thats what my doctor told me when I dislocated my shoulder two summers ago.

Good luck though. Hopefully I never have to do it.

timbertiger20
02-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Good luck hope for a fast recovery!

On a side note I took a co-worker/friend of mine to a hospital when we were in Beverly Hills. Cedar Sinai(sp) anyways we are waiting in the ER as he had crushed his hand and I told him to call me when he was done........he pleaded with me to stay and said he was gonna have a hot nurse that I should check out.........there was one just across from us. So I waited and this guy came running over in a nurse's uniform and in the gayest voice ever said, "Hi my name is Brad and I'll be making you all better!" (Throws in gay hand flip) To which I responded, "You look to be in good hands and walked out into the waiting room." The look on his face was priceless!

Mascman
02-12-2008, 05:44 AM
Good luck on the surgery.

Hopefully since they are operating, they will repair the stretched tendons or ligaments.

I'm 38 and dislocated my shoulder around 1987 or '88.

My options were to make the muscles stronger or have surgery. I was already an avid lifter so I continued at that with no surgery.

At my peak, I was 145lbs and could bench press 300 and do barbell curls of 150lbs.

Anything where I had to lift my hands above my head...I was screwed! I dislocated it by doing pull-downs...they were more than my body weight which is the reason.

I dove into the pool and when I swung my arm over my head...pop! Doggy-paddled to the edge where someone helped me up.

I could place it back, but the longer between pops, the harder it is because everything tightens up and it doesn't want to slide back into the joint.

My point is, it can be a nagging injury for the rest of your life, so talk to the doctor and see if he is going to pull everything tighter! Get it fixed!

Hossy
02-12-2008, 07:15 AM
I had surgery last friday.
I didnt have any hot nurses, but a few ugly ones that should be working at mcdonalds!

I hope everything goes well, and for a speedy recovery!

deano 177
02-12-2008, 10:53 AM
They save all the hot nurses for the women patients. My wife had surgury about a month ago and all her nurses were smokin'! Good luck and God speed on the recovery!

pb34
02-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Good luck on the surgery.

Hopefully since they are operating, they will repair the stretched tendons or ligaments.

I'm 38 and dislocated my shoulder around 1987 or '88.

My options were to make the muscles stronger or have surgery. I was already an avid lifter so I continued at that with no surgery.

At my peak, I was 145lbs and could bench press 300 and do barbell curls of 150lbs.

Anything where I had to lift my hands above my head...I was screwed! I dislocated it by doing pull-downs...they were more than my body weight which is the reason.

I dove into the pool and when I swung my arm over my head...pop! Doggy-paddled to the edge where someone helped me up.

I could place it back, but the longer between pops, the harder it is because everything tightens up and it doesn't want to slide back into the joint.

My point is, it can be a nagging injury for the rest of your life, so talk to the doctor and see if he is going to pull everything tighter! Get it fixed!

That's exactly what the doctor is doing. He's tightening up all the ligaments and cartilage etc.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I also found out the my surgeon is the team doctor for the U.S. mens junior hockey team. Makes me feel pretty confident!

Oh and it's ambulatory so I'll be in and out that day.

UKwithPride
02-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Norco will be nicer for the pain, and also ask for the Polar Ice pump thing, it feels sooo nice on your shoulder.

pb34
02-15-2008, 04:41 AM
Well everything went well. Turns out I had a torn ligament too so he fixed that up. They gave me a nerve block which kept my whole left arm numb for about 9 hours so I avoided some pain. Once that wore off though...man am I feelin' it!

Oh, UK they did give me the polar ice thing and it does feel nice! Just thought I'd thank everyone for their good wishes...but the nurse wasn't too good looking :( She was very nice though and that's all that counts!

shunut
02-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Glad things went well.

irishwarrior
02-16-2008, 01:51 PM
I had surgery last friday.
I didnt have any hot nurses, but a few ugly ones that should be working at mcdonalds!

That's what drive-throughs are for!:p

UKwithPride
02-16-2008, 02:48 PM
That neck block just helps everything SOOO much doesn't it? I loved mine, lol. The numb arm thing was a surprise to me because i took my sling off to change and it just DROPPED, rofl.

My doctor that I had was actually in the US Army and was one of the people that actually turned in where Saddam Hussein was hiding... that was pretty cool to hear.

pb34
02-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Yeah the block was the best part... until it wore off right before I went to sleep. That was not a fun night! I knew about it though, they did it before they knocked me out.

Hoppy11
02-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Did they tell you anything about being able to do water sports?

pb34
02-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Did they tell you anything about being able to do water sports?

Nope they didn't say anything. I don't really participate in any though so it shouldn't be a big problem.

Chris Cole
02-19-2008, 05:44 AM
I had the whole tightening thin done at the end of November. I'm about 75-80% now and I feel much better. All I can say is if you have to go the rehab route afterwards, don't get down when you hit a spot where you don't improve for a week or two, it happens. Keep your head up and keep pushing and the ice will be waiting for you when you get back.

Good luck and enjoy the happy pills.