PDA

View Full Version : Freeware to rip music from iPod.

Ace24
02-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I just got my sister an iPod used and there is a lot of good music on it. There is also a bunch of garbage music that I need to get rid of. I was wondering if there was a way I could rip the good music to my iTunes? I've seen people do it before... does anyone know of a program I can use?

I'm guessing I have to copy it onto the computer first, then upload it into iTunes.

Paradox313
02-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Search is your friend.

It has been asked quite a few times, and I think the program is called Winrar. Not too sure on that though.

Hob Hayward
02-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Its called don't use itunes.

www.winamp.com You can manipulate everything with it, and not just ipods, almost all mp3 players.

Also you're not ripping it, just copying. Apple is a lame as hell for their attempted scrambling/proprietization of file names, but that's all they did, just f with the id3 tags and the track name, of course, any half decent audio program will descramble and allow copying to your hard drive.

Ace24
02-07-2008, 04:04 AM
Its called don't use itunes.

www.winamp.com You can manipulate everything with it, and not just ipods, almost all mp3 players.

Also you're not ripping it, just copying. Apple is a lame as hell for their attempted scrambling/proprietization of file names, but that's all they did, just f with the id3 tags and the track name, of course, any half decent audio program will descramble and allow copying to your hard drive.

I have winamp... never got around to figuring out how to use the iPod feature thinger though.

I'll have to do that then.

Yeah I know it's been asked before... but search wasn't being friendly.

durrell
02-07-2008, 04:49 AM
I hate Winamp with a passion.

iPod Dump, etc. there are numerous free programs on Google to rip music from the iPod.

Ace24
02-07-2008, 04:53 AM

May a llama kick your ass. :pop: :p

king-man
02-07-2008, 05:27 AM
go to download.com, there are millions of programs like that on their, just search

durrell
02-07-2008, 06:16 AM
Winamp is the worst music player I've used on Windows.

iTunes > Foobar > WMP > no music > Winamp

Critical
02-07-2008, 06:35 AM
ipodrip

Ace24
02-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Windows Media Player is garbage. Real player is better then that...

Winamp > iTunes > Real Player > Windows Media Player /story

kramernator
02-07-2008, 09:11 AM
i like winamp, they have it so that you can do all sorts of stuff with you ipod, i don't know if they have the updated version for the 3G ipod.

DFSniper
02-07-2008, 04:33 PM

i second that, although i hate itunes, realplayer, roxio, and musicmatch jukebox more than winamp. the ONLY good thing that winamp has that i like is the video streaming (watched half the Hellsing episodes one day) and the Winamp Remote doesnt sound too bad, but i havent gotten around to using it yet.

Hob Hayward
02-07-2008, 05:09 PM
The remote is meh IMO.

Ted, just plug your ipod in, and start winamp, it should detect it immediately and load it up at the bottom of the left sidebar. Just click on it, browse through and select the music you want, right click, hit copy to local media.

Durrell, name one thing that itunes does better than winamp.

pb34
02-07-2008, 05:28 PM
I've used copytrans. It's a very simple interface. The actual program costs money but I'm pretty sure the demo has everything you need. www.copytrans.net to check it out.

Ace24
02-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Oh my god... I already did it. Let this die haha.

Winamp rocks. It worked fine.

durrell
02-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Durrell, name one thing that itunes does better than winamp.

Everything?

The interface is WAY nicer, organizing your music is easier, syncing your iPod is (obviously) easier. Plus, I buy my music from the iTunes Store now that they've removed DRM.

mr1 sniper
02-08-2008, 08:32 AM
and for some reason now itunes is giving me a free update to itunes plus (better sound quality)

HelpDeskHustler
02-08-2008, 11:44 AM
I'll agree with durrell here, winamp is garbage. Itunes sucks too, but I really hate both of them. If you're 1337 you can rip them with any FTP program and some knowledge.

itunes is crappy because it assumes you're an idiot and doesn't have any preferences that let you not be assumed an idiot.It's extraordinarily inefficient with system resources and is technically malware on the basis that it occasionally runs background processes without your permission, and can somehow find itself added to your boot cycle.

winamp is just a trash program.

king-man
02-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Plus, I buy my music from the iTunes Store now that they've removed DRM.

when? i buy all the time, never notice, but really?

durrell
02-08-2008, 01:33 PM
when? i buy all the time, never notice, but really?

iTunes Plus = non-DRM, 256kbps music.