PDA

View Full Version : Just got it... but what is it?!

country_mudd
02-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Here is my first weapon that is going to welcome me into the Paintball world!
I'm just getting started into this sport so I dont know much about it-
Is this a fairly new model or older one? Also what would be the round about worth of this Shooter??
All I know is that it has the rocking trigger- 16" smartparts linear barrel and the gun reads Spyder Electra ACS

LoL I feel like an idiot but I guess ya never know til ya ask;) thanks for your help!!!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h267/country_mudd/DSC_4756.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h267/country_mudd/DSC_4755.jpg

Hossy
02-05-2008, 05:40 PM
This is a fairly newer one. The rocking trigger is fairly new technology for spyder, but I would get a new trigger frame, because some fields and tourneys dont allow it.

Dont call a paintball gun a weapon

country_mudd
02-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Dont call a paintball gun a weapon

How about my "super bad terrific piercing sling shot" :D
thanks for the love man- and the help

Hossy
02-05-2008, 06:20 PM
We tend to call them Markers, or Guns. Weapons kinda have bad connotations, and the sport isnt violent. and were trying to make sure Paintball doesnt get a bad rep

Command2A
02-05-2008, 06:42 PM
its junk, thats what it is.

kramernator
02-05-2008, 06:50 PM
How about my "super bad terrific piercing sling shot" :D
lol

but yeah, marker or gun will do

the electra itself costs about...........idk $120 maybe.........they aren't made any more, they were sold for about $160 when kingman stopped making them (about 2 years ago)

a brand new rocking trigger is about $100

and that linear barrel is like $40 i think

Originally Posted by Command2A
no it isn't!!
not everyone can afford expensive stuff like you got
that electra is a perfectly fine gun, especially for beginners

xsvly-fat
02-05-2008, 06:51 PM

not for a first gun and spyders arent bad guns so just shut it

Command2A
02-05-2008, 06:59 PM
not for a first gun and spyders arent bad guns so just shut it

Sorry if I hurt your feelings :( Just so ya know I did own one of those (way back) still have the pieces of it in a bag somewhere after it fell apart.

xsvly-fat
02-05-2008, 07:03 PM
i have a mini but i still have a pilot and its a good gun but im just tired of people saying crap about spyders

and i didnt think you were allowed to have paintball guns in canada ;)

Hossy
02-05-2008, 07:07 PM
lol

the electra itself costs about...........idk $120 maybe.........they aren't made any more, they were sold for about $160 when kingman stopped making them (about 2 years ago)

a brand new rocking trigger is about $100

and that linear barrel is like $40 i think

your pricing is a little bit off
id say with the body, and no rocking trigger that is worth around 45-65 with the barrel. idk what to add on for the rocking trigger.

Command2A
02-05-2008, 07:10 PM
No worries, everyone has an opinion and free speech hasn't been out lawed yet as far as I know. But Hey I'm an owner of an electra so I do know how this marker performed for me anyways. I HAVE PARTS IF NEEDED

Hob Hayward
02-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Eh, why are you here if you don't like spyders...

interceptorMR2
02-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Eh, why are you here if you don't like spyders...

exactly, i dont understand why people like tippmann owners (that is those who havent owned a spyder, most of these people I'm talking about are friends FYI so this isnt pointed towards all owners, just the ones I have come across) talk crap about spyders and other brands, i mean sure tippmanns are great, they are durable and they are highly customizable, but that doesnt make it better than all others. Spyders are great markers, they are both durable and reliable. Most of my friends out there are like oh yeah tippmann is the greatest, they will beat the crap out of your MR2! and I just go out into the woods and play a game with them, but they cant step out because i cant stop spraying the air around them :D dont get me wrong, i love tippmanns, but its certain players i have come across that I dont like because of their comments. next time dude, when you say these kind of things, warn us with an IMO in the first place before you talk crap about things.

Command2A
02-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Thought no one would ever ask.... The original Spyder markers (pre-buyout) are awesome. A lot of good engineering and most, if not all are still in play today. So I don't hate Spyders, I just don't like to see what was good product, reduced to a bargain brand product. Spyder could have gone another route. But that never happened; it went the way of Wal-Martís and mass production. Give you an example...I bought an Electra ACS.. Had to replace the bolt within the first 3 months (fell apart). Order the replacement (original Spyder) it didn't fit. Cocking knob was 1.5mm off.. WTF had to mill the frame to fit original replacement parts. Buttom line, just trying to help folks not get burned.

xsvly-fat
02-05-2008, 07:52 PM
wow thats to bad about the Electra but i bought my pilot about a year and a half ago and ive never had one problem with except for the top cocking piece fell off when i was playing and i couldnt find it

interceptorMR2
02-05-2008, 08:24 PM
haha wow thats really crappy, was that a new in box electra ACS? i've had luck like that, but most of my luck consists of having things come broken in the box :(... hey xsvly-fat ive had my Victor II for 6 years, and it still works! its been through alot, but boy oh boy could it use some touchin up

xsvly-fat
02-06-2008, 11:19 AM
wow thats old, i have an angel from 1999 and it still shoots great (by that i mean it works) but its so big and heavy.

druid
02-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Thought no one would ever ask.... The original Spyder markers (pre-buyout) are awesome. A lot of good engineering and most, if not all are still in play today. So I don't hate Spyders,

1. I just don't like to see what was good product, reduced to a bargain brand product.
2. Spyder could have gone another route. But that never happened; it went the way of Wal-Mart’s and mass production.
3. Give you an example...I bought an Electra ACS.. Had to replace the bolt within the first 3 months (fell apart).
4. Order the replacement (original Spyder) it didn't fit.
5. Cocking knob was 1.5mm off.. WTF had to mill the frame to fit original replacement parts.
6. Buttom line, just trying to help folks not get burned.

1. Even in the 90's Spyders were considered "bargain brand" products. They just didn't WANT to compete with anyone. Not only that...you own not one...but 2 Ions as detailed in your sig:

PMR
Halo-B
Dye Ultralite Frame
Trinity Cradle 07/w DF
**** Smart Parts SP-8
Empire Reloader B
**** Smart Parts ION

...and before you say anything, yes - I am an Ion owner. Fantastic as the little marker is, it is NOT 'quality engineering' as compared to any other 'stock or otherwise' higher-end marker made by Smart Parts or anyone else for that matter. It's put together using 'meh' materials but it works and works well...for most people that have learned how to take care of it.

2. Ssssssso...yer saying that putting paintball products into a store that is visited by 500 million people a year is bad marketing strategy...right? I'd have to disagree...
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_constraint=0&search_query=paintball&ic=24_0&Continue.x=31&Continue.y=6
Halo...first page of the site; vents and lenses on page 2; Pure Energy HPA on page 3; The Halo B you proudly tout in your sig on page 5...

Does the fact that walmart sells these items, diminish their quality now? I think not. The problem is that people are too wrapped up in "OMGWTFBBQ!!! It's walmart gear!!!" and frankly...it's plain stupid. Once people learn to change their piss-poor attitudes, things can only get better.

3. I'm sure that even the best markers have their issues. Liken it to buying a car...the more 'bling' or stuff you put in it...is more 'bling' or stuff you have that will eventually fall apart or require maintenance/repair.

4 and 5. It's called tolerance issues...and it's not just relegated to Spyder. You have 2 Ions. Try 3 of each of the multitudes of boards made for it...I'm sure you are going to find a few that are 'tight' fitting into it's slots in a stock frame. It's going to happen.

6. I'd wager that you aren't the only person to have a tolerance issue...but I highly doubt there are thousands of similar claims as you seem to imply. I'd be more inclined to think that a few bad batches of aftermarket creations [bolts] got out and quite frankly, if you didn't call Kingman to get it replaced with a proper fitting bolt then that's really your own fault. You should have done that first because it's possible that you got a mis-marked bolt - or something from a bad batch that wasn't caught before it's sale.

Dude, I'm not trying to rip into you at all...I'm trying to make you see things from another point of view.

Here's another example -

I just picked up an ('05) Black Imagine with 2 barrels for $17 - $20 shipped. The kid said "It doesn't work...board lights up but the noid is not firing. It won't shoot."

It's obvious that this kid never cared enough to figure out that the copper noid washer was coated with, and the clapper was clogged with metal filings and grit (stuck to an electromagnet? Go figure :rolleyes: ). It's also obvious that the kid never lubed or even thought to change the striker O-Ring...as evidenced by the "chewed" appearance of that Oring. You know...that "this Oring has been subjected to a ****-load of friction/drag because it was never oiled" look? Yeah...an $00.08 O-Ring and a few drops of oil...and some cleaning solvent and a rag for the noid.

This kid could have made more in it's sale if he took the time to work on it. His loss became my gain...and is now in the "loaner" pile of markers I own for our private field.

I'm not saying you didn't get a ****ty - or have a bad experience with your marker - I'm saying that you can't say that about ALL of the markers created, simply because you got a bad one of the bunch. Had you said..."well, I had 4...and #1 had ___ problems; #2 had ___; #3 had ____..." and etc...that would have been a different issue.

It's the manner in which you posted it that garners ill feelings towards what you post...

Hob Hayward
02-06-2008, 10:44 PM
As much as I agree with you druid, tolerances have been an issue in the last year or two. Primarily with the pilot ACS, yeh know, back when the silver plate covered the backs of both tubes... Remember people getting hit by the parts breaking off? Same with the cocking pin slot...

I digress however, as I assume kingman put quite a bit of pressure on their manufacturers to turn out more ACS', it being such a popular gun, hence the poor qc and whatnot.

druid
02-07-2008, 10:28 PM
...and I'm agreeing with him to a point...but I also see where you are coming from with the tube cover/velocity adjuster. Perhaps it's just this particular model? I don't know...perhaps I'm wrong.

You see, I've had 6 Spyders of my own that I've either left in "stock" condition or LP-modded with great success...and re-built an additional 4 into LP's for other people (with their markers). Tolerence issues were never a problem for me in the myriad of models I've had/converted (although I must admit, none of them were 'Electra' models either). You would think that after messing around with a minimum of 10 markers, and of at least 5 different models, I would have had an issue with at least one or two. I don't know...maybe I'm wrong...

Walsh
02-13-2008, 07:05 AM
We tend to call them Markers, or Guns. Weapons kinda have bad connotations, and the sport isnt violent. and were trying to make sure Paintball doesnt get a bad rep

lol the airports hate it when you call the marker a weapon, my bran-new pilot almost went in the trash!!!:(

Spyder_Tech22
03-02-2008, 10:01 AM

lol
no it isn't!!
not everyone can afford expensive stuff like you got
that electra is a perfectly fine gun, especially for beginners

I wouldnt say we he has is too expensive

The Pumper
03-02-2008, 10:47 AM
Not sure why you'd say spyders are junk on a spyder based forum. Thats beyond me. anyway. Its good for first gun. Easy to work on and will never fail you.

king-man
03-02-2008, 11:05 AM
ya my buddy has one, hes never oiled it or nuthin(althoug i try to get him to) and he never has problems, for a starter electric gun, its a great gun, specially if you are slow with fingers cuz of the rocking trigger, although its still not bad if your fst it just doubles your speed if you know how to use :evil:

Spec-Ops
05-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Brand new it was $265. And if a field won't allow the rocking trigger then take one of the pressure point screws and you have a 1 contact point trigger!

I wouldn't say it's junk either. I'f had people complain that thought I was shooting full auto but when I showed them I had the Tourny lock thing off (making it semi only) They were blown away. I have out shot everything from the most upgraded tippmans (I made a guy who spent over 1000 decking out an a-5 pissed that my electra could shoot faster and more accurate than his and mine was completly stock) to even some high end markers that retail for twice as much as mine.

MVS1
05-07-2008, 05:32 PM
The biggest problem with the 05 electra (resolved with the 06 w/eyes) was the fact that it could out shoot most loaders for that time, and if the ACS bolt had not been conditioned properly it would chop like mad. IS this the markers fault, absolutely not. Electra's where the **** when they came out, considering that ROF comparable markers where going for 3 or 4 times as much. Compared to today's standards (VS's, RSX's, pilot with eyes, etc.) their younger brothers have out shined them, however give me an LP pilot/electra and I'll have it running with any of its brothers in no time...
TL;DR...you got a great marker, now it's time to start fine tuning it....Oh yeah, get a fast loader!!!
No worries, everyone has an opinion and free speech hasn't been out lawed yet as far as I know. But Hey I'm an owner of an electra so I do know how this marker performed for me anyways. I HAVE PARTS IF NEEDED
Edit...Command2A, IMO your Ion, SP8 and PMR are junk, but like you said everybody has the right to their opinion, but that doesn't mean they neceesarily need to share it.

vikingshadow
05-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Hey - be nice. My PMR isn't junk!

MVS1
05-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Hey - be nice. My PMR isn't junk!

No Vike your PMR definitely isn't junk, ;D. I'm hoping he got the point, it's never cool to piss on somebodies parade.

vikingshadow
05-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Doubt he'll see it, haha! He hasn't been here since March 18th...

Any rate, I was just joking witcha!

OSOK
05-07-2008, 06:41 PM
I have seen a couple older Electras, and from what I have seen and heard they chop pretty bad if you don't have the eyes. Is this true?

This is currently with all of the faster loaders.

LostCause
05-07-2008, 06:48 PM
you using a shakeandbake loader? (grav fed?) cause my piolt acs choped like crazy till i got my Vlo Jr. w/ virtue