PDA

View Full Version : Ipod question

vikingshadow
02-16-2006, 03:29 PM
I need some of you Ipod Guru's to help me out. I got this Ipod in a trade for my T1 to Enigma, and it's a pretty sweet little machine! Except I have a little problem....

When I try to upload some of my music library onto it, this message "The Ipod "***** IPOD" is linked to another iTunes music library. Do you want to change the link to this iTunes music library and replace all existing songs and playlists on this iPod with those from this library?"

Now the problem is, there are some good songs on the Ipod that I don't want to lose, but it appears if I click YES, I'll lose the entire library and my library will replace it. How do I get the music from the Ipod onto my computer so that I can save the songs I want? There are 153 songs on this bad boy and most I like so if you guys can help me out, that'd be great!

Thanks for helping the old guy out! :D

Ares
02-16-2006, 03:53 PM
the only way i know how to transfer songs form an ipod to a computer is by using the ipod as a portable drive. im not sure if theres a way, but ive only had my ipod for a few months

PBRC714
02-16-2006, 04:06 PM
If you have a cd burner you can burn the songs you like to a disk, the reload it on your new playlist. that's the easiest way to do it.

chubb0rz
02-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Ipod Agent ftw! gotta find the link for ya vik, lets you copy all the songs off your ipod into your library so you dont loose them

edit: Ipod Plus is the new version of iPod agent. Linky: http://www.ipodsoft.com/index.php?/software/podplus
Costs $15 but well worth it IMO and its a one time fee.

Angel69
02-16-2006, 04:27 PM
if u guys ARE really smart at ipod i have a question for u too.....

i just bought a used video ipod (LNIB) and everyhitng is fine on it but the sound on the videos dont work!?!?!

any suggestions?

Ares
02-16-2006, 06:04 PM
the movie files may not have sound in them. the software i use to encode to the ipod format allows me to choose video and sound quality or no sound at all

xtraking
02-16-2006, 06:05 PM
yeah make sure your settings on your software have it to where it encodes it with sound and video.

Nader
02-16-2006, 08:44 PM
could also be the format the video is encoded in. Make sure your quicktime software is updated, on both the iPod and your computer. and I don't have a link, but try finding the iPod Software update.

DFSniper
02-17-2006, 01:09 AM
if u guys ARE really smart at ipod i have a question for u too.....

i just bought a used video ipod (LNIB) and everyhitng is fine on it but the sound on the videos dont work!?!?!

any suggestions?

my friend had the same problem and he said when he called up apple they told him to wipe the memory and start over. there was something wrong with the programming.

phatphil
02-17-2006, 05:14 AM
Vike, you need a program to take the songs on your iPod now off. Here's one of them: http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/35148

If it's like Mac, there are a plethora of different programs available that all do the exact same thing, no point in paying for one.

After you have your songs copied off the iPod, you can update it with your iTunes library, and re add the songs that you saved from when the other guy had it.

Drefish99
02-17-2006, 05:32 AM
This is the program I use. http://www.ephpod.com/ It is free and is full featured.

~shocktheman~
02-17-2006, 06:25 AM
Ok another quik question for you gurus out there, don't wanna be hijacking vike's thread, but if you can help that'd be cool.
When I plug in my iPod of course it automatically brings up itunes and updates the iPod to whatever is on itunes. If you delete a song it takes it off the ipod and vice versa. You know if there's there a way to delete the songs from the computer without taking them off the ipod? Still being able to put more songs on the ipod just getting rid of everything on the PC. It's just wasting so much space on the computer especially since I never use them on it.

Drefish99
02-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Yup. Bring up iTunes and then go to edit>preferences>iPod and there should be a selection somewhere on there that has you control the iPod manually. Set it so that there is no automatic synchronization and you should be good to go.

~shocktheman~
02-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Ok, but if I delete say 5 songs from the computer how do I update my iPod without it taking those 5 songs off the iPod too?? It seems as of yet anything I want on my iPod "HAS" to remain(wasting space) on the computer.
Suggestions?

Drefish99
02-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Well my way of not syncronizing with the iPod it wouldn't take it off the iPod. I know what you mean. The iPod always looks in that folder for the song and if it isn't in there is shows an error or delets it off the iPod. With my work around the iPod will always store the songs. The drawback is you have no way of removing the song from the iPod. I guess that is where the programs we have given to Vike come into play.

~shocktheman~
02-17-2006, 10:22 AM
So these programs that let you copy from your ipod to the computer would then be putting the songs back on the computer so you could then(if you wanted to) erase them from your ipod? So it's not like the songs would be permanently stuck on the ipod. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I still can't figure out how to put songs onto the iPod manually though, help?

Nader
02-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Your iTunes Preferences should look something like this, when your iPod is plugged in, see that I have the manual button checked? that's what you need to do. Then when you click on the iPod, you can manually drag and drop songs off and on it, but you can't export them to another computer, you'll need a program like Dre's or something.
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5492/ipod4vy.th.jpg (http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ipod4vy.jpg)

and for those of us who use macs, iPod Viewer, or iPod Rip, work great to get songs off of any iPod, and I believe they might work with PC formatted iPods as well as Mac ones! (Though I haven't tried it)

ZippyWilikens286
02-17-2006, 01:45 PM
you dont need a program to ripp off the music guys... just got to startmenu, search...select the Ipod as the drive you search and search for .mp3 and or .m4p all the songs on the ipod will pop up then you just select them and copy paste, from there just add them to your library and the problem is solved... :D

ps
I know this works I do it all the time to trade music

Drefish99
02-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Real player V.10 FTW. Try it out. It's pretty good. Drag and drop files just like a regular folder. I just filled up my wifes iPod with Gangsta Rap. Oh won't she be pleased.

durrell
02-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Real player V.10 FTW. Try it out. It's pretty good. Drag and drop files just like a regular folder. I just filled up my wifes iPod with Gangsta Rap. Oh won't she be pleased.

lol I need an iPod, as soon as some of you bums buy some stuff from me I'm, gonna get one..:dodgy: