PDA

View Full Version : AK-47 Style barrel - who has one?

Mascman
02-04-2008, 12:50 PM
I think I'm going with an AK47 style barrel on my MR1.

I'm not real heavy into PB so I don't want to go crazy with mods, but anything I own has to be "non-stock" so I am looking at this barrel to change it up a little.

I think this barrel with a dog-leg modded stock will look decent.

Anyone have any recommendations on the barrel or a good place to buy?

Post pics if you got them.

Thanks!

Mascman
02-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Nobody?

How about the M-16?

fawkes
02-08-2008, 11:44 AM
I have an AK-47-style barrel for my MR1, but unfortunately, I can't provide you with a handy link. I stumbled across an A4 barrel with an AK shroud on it for $10 somewhere online and, since that seemed like a better deal than a Spyder one for $80, I bought it, ripped it off the A4 barrel, and put it on a 14" J&J barrel (in retrospect, it would look better on a 16" barrel). This involved a little bit of dremelling and some epoxy putty, but it really wasn't that hard. To get it to fit flush with my MR1, though, I had to take a hacksaw and cut off the end of the reservoir plug, so it'd fit flush with the marker.

Here's a pic of what it'll look like if you get one, though:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a238/seafox614/paintball/MR1005.jpg

I'd be happy to give you more details if you decide to take the route I did. The only really tricky part seems to be finding an AK-style magazine/expansion chamber to go with it.

pinkanese
02-08-2008, 12:47 PM
You know seeing as how tehre are literaly millions of Aks floating around I think it would be pretty easy to get your hands on soem real wood furniture adn mod it onto your gun. A real Ak handguard and mag would be dead sexy on a MR1, though the stock does pose some difficulties, but if you cut the top it will lood kinda like a wire stock so that isn't too bad.

irishwarrior
02-08-2008, 01:56 PM
RAP4.com has the AK-47 barrel.

N_Dub_Spyder
02-08-2008, 02:33 PM
IMO...I think that markers like the one above (nothing personal) look very incomplete. If a marker is going to under go a conversion... It should all be done. Stock, Barrell, Shrouds, Handguard, Sights, Rails etc... Now like I said, I am not flaming or bashing anyone, but this is just my $.02

Mascman
02-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the pic Fawkes, I think it looks cool.

I ordered one from Action Village and tracking says it will be here tomorrow (Sat).

Could I just drill or dremel a hole in the handguard to fit over the res. plug?

That plug isn't very big, but the mounting clamp is probably right at the end of the hand guard, right?

fawkes
02-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the pic Fawkes, I think it looks cool.

I ordered one from Action Village and tracking says it will be here tomorrow (Sat).

Could I just drill or dremel a hole in the handguard to fit over the res. plug?

That plug isn't very big, but the mounting clamp is probably right at the end of the hand guard, right?

No problem. Glad you like it.

I suspect that your handguard will be mounted all the way back on the barrel (mine was on its original barrel), which will mean you either have to take out a really big chunk of the grip in order for it to screw on properly, or cut the plug. I ordered a spare reservoir plug from Spyder in case anything went wrong (it only cost me like $6), but it was actually really easy to cut. The aluminum's solid, but pretty soft, so it only took me 10 minutes with a hacksaw, and I bet you could do it with a dremel.

Good luck on it, though.

IMO...I think that markers like the one above (nothing personal) look very incomplete. If a marker is going to under go a conversion... It should all be done. Stock, Barrell, Shrouds, Handguard, Sights, Rails etc... Now like I said, I am not flaming or bashing anyone, but this is just my $.02

Oh, I agree. My marker is pretty incomplete in that photo, but I figured I would offer up a pic of the barrel shroud, since Mascman was asking about it.

I need to invest in a wire stock and some real AK composite handguards with built-in rails (you really can buy anything on Amazon), to replace the black plastic ones that I've got now. And if that thread on the AK-style magazine gets resolved, or if I can get my hands on a CNC router, I'll be getting/making one of those as well. ...But then again, I might pursue another more interesting idea I had, instead of going for the AK look.

N_Dub_Spyder
02-09-2008, 10:50 AM
Oh, I agree. My marker is pretty incomplete in that photo, but I figured I would offer up a pic of the barrel shroud, since Mascman was asking about it.

I need to invest in a wire stock and some real AK composite handguards with built-in rails (you really can buy anything on Amazon), to replace the black plastic ones that I've got now. And if that thread on the AK-style magazine gets resolved, or if I can get my hands on a CNC router, I'll be getting/making one of those as well. ...But then again, I might pursue another more interesting idea I had, instead of going for the AK look.

They are ALWAYS a work in progress aren't they?:D

Mascman
02-09-2008, 11:05 AM
I took a hacksaw to the plug and then painted it up. Can't even tell I cut it.

The barrel had the gip about 4" away from the back of the barrel so it had a giant gap.

I tore everything off and it is going to take some doing to get it to fit rearward...since the barrel is thicker in the back.

I've already scratched the barrel trying to get a c-clip off. :(

Don't have time to work on it now, but later I'll get to it.

I've seen real AK-47 mags for $15...I'll bet I could mod it to work.

Mascman
02-10-2008, 05:36 AM
First thing to do is cut the Resevoir plug:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/76747/0209081353.jpg

Second problem I ran into was that the grip was mounted too far up the barrel..leaving about a 3 to 4" gap between the grip and the body.

I tore all the pieces off and saw that there was a C-clip that didn't want to come off without scratching the barrel. :(

Now with everything removed, I slid the grip pieces on from the back end of the barrel, but of course, nothing fits.

I Dremeled the pieces to fit, but now with the grip near the back, the "cleaning rod" doesn't reach back far enough.

I didn't want to Dremel the front sight to slide it back, since the barrel was stepped up and it wouldn't move, so I took some rod and made a new one.

You can see the scratched part, where the grip originally was, and the new rod....I'll paint it up later.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/76747/0209081831.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/76747/0209081830.jpg

I'm thinking of ordering a real magazine for it and then modding it to fit over the original magazine. I'm thinking it could be cut down and drilled and tapped for the AK one to slide over and bolt up.

Stay tuned....
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-12/76747/0209081824.jpg

Lonus
02-10-2008, 05:56 AM
Why not use the ak47 expansion chamber that is out there for the mr's? Looks great by the way.

pinkanese
02-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Because it only works on the MR2. ANd it looks nice and all, but it just doesn't flow, the shroud comes too far above teh top of the gun, adn the stock doesn't match at all.

Mascman
02-10-2008, 11:08 AM
I can get a real AK magazine for $15.

I think I could make it work...we'll see.