PDA

View Full Version : MR2 is back in my hands and need some professional advice

SpyderMan723
02-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Hey guys I finally got my MR2 back after 3 weeks.

and to my surprise they didnt feel confident enough to drill eye holes for me.

I was thinking about drilling them starting from the right side of the body underneath the feedneck in the middle between the detent and the hole for the screw. Would that be a good place? And if i were to drill there I would be drilling straight through to ensure a dead on even match, good idea?

thanks alot your input is appreciated

edit:Anyone have a template for a side feed eye installation?

pinkanese
02-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Your not going to find a template. Try talking to Critical. He drilled eye holes in an MR1 body, which is pretty much the same.

Yes you want to drill there. I don't have my MR body in front of me but so I can't tell you for sure. But you want the hole to be about centered in the feed hole, maybe slightly towards the front but very close to center. Then you want it to be as close to the bottom of the breech as possible.

Just be careful there isn't much margin for error there, very little mateial. Also in my experience the metal seems to be softer on MRs thatn on older Spyders.

Good Luck.

Critical
02-02-2008, 05:21 PM
I would say that, if you have any access at all to a drill press, use it. Drilling by hand was the least fun thing I've ever done, short of performing surgery on my own toe.

If you choose to go down the road of drilling by hand, definitely start on the feedneck side. Go slowly, any bit walk at all will hose your body (I killed one body that way). The hole should be centered on the feedneck. Also, line up the holes on the outside, use a tiny little bit, and drill the two sides separately. Then, go back and drill the hole straight through using the pilot hole as a guide (see why using a press would be better?) The material is very soft compared to other markers, be careful.

SpyderMan723
02-02-2008, 05:41 PM
I would say that, if you have any access at all to a drill press, use it. Drilling by hand was the least fun thing I've ever done, short of performing surgery on my own toe.

If you choose to go down the road of drilling by hand, definitely start on the feedneck side. Go slowly, any bit walk at all will hose your body (I killed one body that way). The hole should be centered on the feedneck. Also, line up the holes on the outside, use a tiny little bit, and drill the two sides separately. Then, go back and drill the hole straight through using the pilot hole as a guide (see why using a press would be better?) The material is very soft compared to other markers, be careful.

Yea my dad's friend has a drill press and hes letting me use it tomorrow

Xtreme
02-03-2008, 04:43 AM
Well, I have a MR2 and I drilled the eyes myself at work on a drill press, the only thing I can tell you if you are going to drill straight through is to watch the bit as it goes through the breech, when I was doing mine the bit wanted to follow the shape of the breech(curve around), just take your time, now you just got to figure out how to make channels for the eyes. I guess it pays to have a machinist as your little brother, he should already sent my gun back, LOL! Good luck, let us know how it goes.

SpyderMan723
02-03-2008, 06:36 AM
I dont know if im going to make channels, ill just tuck the exess wire underneath my handguard.

SpyderMan723
02-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Pics posted in the picture thread