PDA

View Full Version : What gun is this?

vikingshadow
01-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Ok, my brother in law bought an OLD spyder, and I can't figure out what it is...this isn't the gun he has, but the grip and body is the same (it doesn't have the expansion chamber on it.)

http://www.list4all.com/www3/gtrader/6-1.jpg

Is this a fatty striker gun?

chnk
01-28-2008, 08:56 PM
spyder classic i believe

no clue on the barrel but it looks rare and the expansion chamber is a bit different

nemesis452
01-28-2008, 09:00 PM
i think its a spyder classic, but on pbreview theres alot of markers that look like that.

Hob Hayward
01-28-2008, 09:03 PM
Definitely fatty striker, looks like some type of classic, but who knows, they'tr all basically the same eh?

OtterSC
01-29-2008, 04:34 AM
that there is one of the first generation of Spyders. they made a full size body (what you have there) and a compact.

looks to be in excellent condition too! fatty striker. does it have a brass lining inside of the barrel? looks like mine before i converted it to LP.

vikingshadow
01-29-2008, 04:37 AM
Thanks, guys! That's actually what I thought it was, but due to screwy internet access last night, I couldn't get pictures to load. I found this one this morning, and it looks a lot like the one I posted.

http://www.ody.ca/~cwells/image/spyder-classic.jpg

BTW - the barrel on the first gun I posted is a Taso barrel - I actually had one of those in black a while back. Had I known it was that "classic" I might have kept it!

Edit ** Whups - just saw Otter's post. So the one I posted first is a full sized Spyder? Just called "Spyder"? Unfortunately, this one isn't my brother in laws gun. He's bringing it over tonight for me to look at. He bought it at an auction, along with an old tippy that he can't find, for about 7 bucks. I'll check to see if it has that brass lining.

Second question - are parts hard to find for a fatty spyder?

SupaSnipa
01-29-2008, 05:07 AM
Definitely fatty striker,
:yeahthat:

king-man
01-29-2008, 06:57 AM
the 1st gen spyders, didnt have names did they.

bigred76
01-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Parts are all over the place. All the generations of Spyder build up on the previous, so parts that fit newer Spyders will most likely fit, but new Spyder parts (VS, RS, MR, etc) most likely won't. The main difference I've seen is merely the size of the striker, which you can find here or on PBN occasionally. AS for o-ring sizes, pull out your tub of them and go to town! Might find one that fits among Spyder o-ring sizes, but I'm not certain.

chnk
01-29-2008, 02:24 PM
sell it to me, look like the perfect marker to play rec players with

i want some of that single trigger goodness

OtterSC
01-30-2008, 05:40 AM
parts? if it is made for a Spyder today, it will fit EXCEPT.....

the difference with todays spyder ('05 Xtra, TL-X, etc.) is the lower tube. the striker is larger in diameter and shorter in length, the striker buffer is thicker, the o-rings to the striker is different, and the velocity adjuster is different because of the larger diameter in the bottom tube. other than that, barrels, springs, valves and bolts (oh my) will fit.

you may be able to find a large diameter velocity adjuster wheel that has the set screw lock from G3PB.com and PolecatPaintball.com. or, even try Kingman.

the striker, i know that Dark Horizon can make you a Titanium Hammer with the OtterSC mod.

get me a pic of the tippmann. may be able to help you out with that as well.

the 1st gen spyders, didnt have names did they.
correct, at that time, they did not.

vikingshadow
01-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Well, he brought the gun over last night, and surprisingly, it was in pretty decent shape. First thing I did was check for leaks and there weren't any. So, I tore into it and found that the oring on the striker was toast - as in I don't think after much play it would be even recognizable as an oring anymore. So I found one in my box that would fit and changed it.

The bolt was in EXCELLENT shape - didn't even need to change the orings. He told me that he bought it about 8 years ago and hadn't touched it since. It was absolutely filthy inside - the guy didn't mind getting in the dirt, but shot great.

The barrel actual DOES have the brass insert!

DFSniper
01-30-2008, 06:28 PM
great find! the field i went to in germany had about 15 of those "classics" as rentals, but i never did get to go back down there and ask if they'd sell one...

i think actionvillage MAY still sell fatty striker o-rings, but i doubt it... i have a bunch of links for spyder parts on my other computer, but no wireless internet right now. :(