PDA

View Full Version : global warming?

Angel69
02-16-2006, 04:37 AM
i live up in wisconsin and this year the max snow weve had is about 8 inches at a time, and the lowest temp has been about -10..... :(

ALLL of my elders (parents teachers ect) tell me that when they were kids it wasnt unusual to get about 16 inches and get to -45 below :alert:

now i personally DO think something is going on with this global warming stuff. i mean jeez if theres been that much of a difference in about 30-40 years how much snow are we gunna get in 100 years? :confused: :noway: :noway:

then again ive met ppl who think global warming isnt real, think the earth just gets hotter sometimes and colder others....:rolleyes:

what are ur opinions on this matter?:confused:

QAZ123
02-16-2006, 06:17 AM
My father told me when he was a kid (and showed me pictures) of the Ohio River froze solid enough to where you could walk across it.

But he also stated that there has been different fluctuation's in weather for centuries and it is alway's changing.

JB.

druid
02-16-2006, 11:01 AM
Global temperatures are governed by several processes...

the North Atlantic Current
Volcanic activity
tectonic activity
variations in sunspots
man-made pollutants

"The Year Without a Summer" was the year the Frankenstein was written...there was a Global Winter like nothing else...and it was caused by a major volcanic eruption on the other side of the palnet. It launched so much debris into the atmosphere that it snowed a pinkiish-red snow in New England. It killed major crops world-wide. It also caused major drought the next 5 years that killed most every crop. It was a driving force for Americans to push to the mid-west...

man-made pollutants do hurt the environment but nothing link Mother Nature.

DexGtr
02-16-2006, 11:05 AM
global warming is a hoax perpetrated by scientist who can't explain what's really happening...i.e. "it's cold..it's global warming" "it's hot....it's global warming"...."the terrorists are at it again...it's global warming" .."i can't get laid....you guessed it...global warming" LOL :D

big_daddy_d
02-16-2006, 11:20 AM
i can't get laid....you guessed it...global warming" LOL :D
You sure just being plain ugly isn't a factor? LoL :P

DexGtr
02-16-2006, 11:35 AM
You sure just being plain ugly isn't a factor? LoL :P

nope coz the reason for being ugly is....yep..global warming LOL:p

03TiburonGT
02-16-2006, 11:40 AM
The thing that most scientists or regular people for that matter, dont take into consideration is that the Earth's climate is not stable. Most computer programs and graphs assume that it is such, leading one on to think that we are the true cause of this phenomenon.

Taken from http://home.austarnet.com.au/yours/Greenhouse_Bullcrap.htm :

The three fundamental flaws in Global Warming are

1. It falsely assumes that the Earth's temperature is otherwise stable.

2. It relies on coincidence, not science, that an increase in CO2 in air comes from fuel burning.

3. It just assumes, with no proof, that very small Carbon Dioxide increases will be amplified (positive feedback) into big temperature effects.

I dont believe in global warming, period.

druid
02-16-2006, 05:19 PM
scientists try to say that CO2 in the atmosphere traps heat inside it and helps to block radiation from the sun, causing cooling...and our reduction in trees (world-wide) and plankton doesn't filter it out..well...wouldn't they cancel each-other out then?

vikingshadow
02-16-2006, 05:40 PM
I believe that the world is a self-petuating system that humans are screwing with. In the end, the world's gonna win, one way or another. It's scientific fact there have been at least 5 mass extinctions in the history of the world. (scientific, not biblical - let's not start THAT argument! LOL!) Could it be that the world, in an effort to seek a balance, will wipe out the agent that's unbalancing it? In this case, that'd be us. I liken it to the line from the Matrix - humans are a virus. We overpopulate and area, then spread to the next, trashing it out, filling it with toxins and basically killing it, then moving on.

The difference between our time and the other's in those extinctions is that humans actually are the cause of the world's ecosystem failures. Did you know that something like 25 species become extinct every single day in the world, mainly caused by human interaction and encroachment? I think that the weather changes, though normal in a normal situation are actually being sped up because of our interference, above mentioned polution (Co2, carcinogens, whatever, being released by the second into the atmosphere.)

What makes this worse is that we (humans) are using up the resources the planet has to help itself regenerate, those found in the earth itself. I think that the world needs a balance, and we're seriously unbalancing it. Do I think that it'll happen soon? No, but certainly within the next few generations. I personally think the damage is done. I also think that the damage is MUCH more serious than the world's governments are letting on (plausible deniability, protecting our innocent minds - they figure if we knew everything, we'd have widespread panic, looting, killing, etc. I agree with that to a point - look what's happening around the world right now!)

I think it's time to start looking elsewhere - not on this planet. Sounds weird, but think about it. We're burning resources like crazy, but we aren't replacing it. We're keeping some areas clear, but that's like pee'ing in the pool...sooner or later, you'll get a mouth full...

Problem is, we're land-locked. Or should I say, planet-locked...we don't have the ability to go elsewhere.

Global warming? Pshhhh! We WISH that was the problem!

Angel69
02-16-2006, 05:48 PM
dude that was the deepest **** ive ever heard...couldnt of been better if i were drunk and high.... that was the like best speechy thing ever hahaha:D :p :p :p

claustrophobia9
02-16-2006, 05:53 PM
well kill our selves off far before global warming kicks in full throtle. why do viruses kill off the host which carries them, if it is what supports their life? well loose to technology, not nature. and i agree, we need to take after a being with natures similiar to ours, and spread, get off this planet. people hope that things will just happen, but they wont without action.

Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

edit: dammit vike! you beat me too it.

while were ranting about something:
i believe that we(as a world) have our priorities in the absolutely wrong direction. we still live our lives by a cycle that is based on the sun.... yet there is very much of the working population, that works indoors, under artificial lighting.... and there are places where light is in absence for 24 hours of the day durring parts of the year. why are we still based on a cycle which is inconsistant and is so short that people feel absent of something, poeple become stressed. why havent we set ourselves to a cycle in which a person can get an entirely full rest, then work longer, and have a period of relaxation long enough to satisfy ones needs. we have the electronic means to keep track of something like that, and efficiency and comfort of workers could increase drastically. yet we are to focused on "staying comfotable" with the way things are, to realize that we arent comfortable, getting less than 8 hours of sleep sucks compared to 10, and when you get 10 hours, there isnt enough work to do during the day to get you to fall asleep at night, so you work harder and cut into personal time... etc. life isnt meant to be lived in 24 hour shifts. honestly, if school was year round, i believe due to the retainment of knowlege kids could finish school in less time./rant over... its hard to follow, i know...

vikingshadow
02-16-2006, 06:40 PM
honestly, if school was year round, i believe due to the retainment of knowlege kids could finish school in less time.

You're actually right on this one. Studies have shown that students, particularly those in lower grades, lose a lot of what they learned over the year during the 3-month vacation. Teachers in these grades spend a large amount of time (sometimes upwards of 2-3 months) reteaching what the students supposedly "learned" the year/years before, just to get them ready to learn what they need to know in the current year. That leaves only 6-7 months to get the skills required taught and for mastery to happen before the student gets moved to the next grade.

The jury's still out, though, on the full year long commitment to school. Personally, I think a 2 month on, 2 week off schedule would be more beneficial. Two months, you have time to introduce and reinforce concepts, and then take some down time to let their young minds recoup and reflect over a short period, then it's right back again.

I've long wondered, with our technological advances that supposedly "make life easier", why we work harder and longer hours than 10 years ago, just to try and stay caught up? We don't get ahead, we actually fall behind. Here's the fun part - this is so bad, companies have actually created job positions strictly to combat this issue. When I worked for an insurance company as an analyst, our home office hired a firm from Florida, who flew in "experts" from all over the world to try and figure out how to better utilize our time. Remember the old shows that depicted the future where humans would have all this time to better themselves because of the technology?

Instead, we now have the "greenhouse" problem (to get back to the theme of the thread) among other problems, that seem to be generated, and enhanced by our newfound ability to compact even more garbage into a smaller space....I'm telling ya, it's either go to space or dig into the ground...take your pick!

03TiburonGT
02-16-2006, 07:46 PM
well kill our selves off far before global warming kicks in full throtle. why do viruses kill off the host which carries them, if it is what supports their life? well loose to technology, not nature. and i agree, we need to take after a being with natures similiar to ours, and spread, get off this planet. people hope that things will just happen, but they wont without action.

I agree completely

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

-Albert Einstein

spyderkid179
02-17-2006, 07:49 PM
I think that the earth is warming but not because of human activity. The earth takes cycles. Earth has gotten warmer after every ice age and that is what it is doing right now, getteing warmer. There was ice where i currently live a few thousand years ago and since then it has been melting.

i Guarantee that Earth has been warmer than it currently is in the past few billion years it has been in existance.

claustrophobia9
02-17-2006, 09:57 PM
i believe that it isnt farfetched that something similar to the matrix would occur, but in the matrix, people were forced into an alternate reality through war with robots, i believe people will willingly enter themselves in an alternate reality which requires a complete subconcious embodiment.

Recon by Fire
02-17-2006, 10:58 PM
It's weather, Earl. It changes and come and goes in cycles. Last year they had freaking snow down into the Mexican Gulf coast!

Baller-59
02-17-2006, 11:03 PM
Ice ages come in cycles. it freezes awhile then it melts for awhile. and repeats every I don't remember how long. Although one things for sure. Last weekend I'm pretty sure that I saw lightning during a snowstorm. They didn't even write about that crap in the bible.

Nader
02-17-2006, 11:28 PM
Well what the ache in my bones is telling me is that global warming is a big excuse....
sheesh, who am I kidding? I'm 18!

like pee'ing in the pool...sooner or later, you'll get a mouth full...

haha! sigged!

marvin-martian
02-17-2006, 11:49 PM
its just a season on a larger scale. itll keep getting warmer for a while, but in a few years it will start to get cold again, possibly cold enough for the next ice age. then the ice will melt and repeat. seasons...yay!!

claustrophobia9
02-18-2006, 09:42 AM
people freak out about natural weather and stuff, just because we had like a few killer storms were all doomed and the world is going to end... i say to myself: "if you are arfraid of the end of the world, leave earth before it comes!!!!"

druid
02-18-2006, 04:01 PM
.......Instead, we now have the "greenhouse" problem (to get back to the theme of the thread) among other problems, that seem to be generated, and enhanced by our newfound ability to compact even more garbage into a smaller space....I'm telling ya, it's either go to space or dig into the ground...take your pick!

simple solution...take some of the older rockets, fill them with the trash/pollutants and launch them at the sun...they will burn up before even reaching it. My thought...Our sun=God's Incinerator........problem solved.

timbertiger20
02-18-2006, 05:08 PM
LOL that is great Druid! I just wish this global warming would kick in soon. Playing paintball at 10 degrees with a 20 mph win sure sucks! I'll show you global warming anyone for a game?

druid
02-18-2006, 05:18 PM
haha....pft...tonight we're going to have a 'real feel' of -02*F...try playing in that...SkirmishUSA has scenario games at night too..**shivvers**......

claustrophobia9
02-18-2006, 06:07 PM
simple solution...take some of the older rockets, fill them with the trash/pollutants and launch them at the sun...they will burn up before even reaching it. My thought...Our sun=God's Incinerator........problem solved.if you just send matter OFF of this planet we will slowly loose resources (whether or not you consider them that, even though you could probibly turn a pile of garbage into a five star hotel for alot less than the price of a rocket and fuel) and kill ourselves even slower than global warming... and expensivly at that.

druid
02-18-2006, 06:15 PM
.....but at least we're still around...

Baller-59
02-18-2006, 06:30 PM
people freak out about natural weather and stuff, just because we had like a few killer storms were all doomed and the world is going to end... i say to myself: "if you are arfraid of the end of the world, leave earth before it comes!!!!"
shhh nobody is suppoused to know about my cults plan to colonize Pluto:dodgy:

Instead, we now have the "greenhouse" problem (to get back to the theme of the thread) among other problems, that seem to be generated, and enhanced by our newfound ability to compact even more garbage into a smaller space....I'm telling ya, it's either go to space or dig into the ground...take your pick!

"Let global warming happen. We'll grow grapefruits in Alaska."

e-cookie if somebody knows where that's from.

Recon by Fire
02-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Global Warming:
http://www.atomiclabrat.com/images/Emoticon/Atomic%20Blow.gif

timbertiger20
02-18-2006, 10:22 PM
I just calculated it.........This morning was 7 degrees at the airport and 20 mph wind.......that's -29 deg F..........Please send my global warming back whoever stole it........tonight we are down to 4 deg but at least the wind is only like 5 mph.

druid
02-19-2006, 12:14 AM
haha Recon.....I bet those soldiers on the ships were wishing they weren't that close....

timbertiger20
02-19-2006, 12:42 AM
That's what I was thinking......I'm assuming the military brass wanted someone to get a close look........and it sure wasn't them volunteering to be that close!

DRAGON
02-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Geez, all this worry and all I wanna do is play paintball - :cool:

If global warming did not exist, a group of people wanting a theme/cause for a government loan might need to invent it - ;)

In the year 2525
If man is still alive
If woman can survive
They may find

In the year 3535
Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lies
Everything you think, do, and say
Is in the pill you took today

In the year 4545
Ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing to chew
Nobody's gonna look at you

In the year 5555
Your arms are hanging limp at your sides
Your legs got nothing to do
Some machine is doing that for you

In the year 6565
Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube' Whoooa

In the year 7510
If God's a-comin' he ought to make it by then
Maybe he'll look around himself and say
Guess it's time for the Judgement day

In the year 8510
God is gonna shake his mighty head then
He'll either say I'm pleased where man has been
Or tear it down and start again

In the year 9595
I'm kinda wondering if man is gonna be alive
He's taken everything this old earth can give
And he ain't put back nothing

Now it's been 10,000 years
Man has cried a billion tears
For what he never knew
Now man's reign is through
But through eternal night
The twinkling of starlight
So very far away
Maybe it's only yesterday

claustrophobia9
02-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Global Warming:
http://www.atomiclabrat.com/images/Emoticon/Atomic%20Blow.gif
no thats dragon jumping in the pool! :D

kevdupuis
02-19-2006, 09:00 AM
haha Recon.....I bet those soldiers on the ships were wishing they weren't that close....

No people but some ships in later test held animals. Scientist wanted to find out what happened craft and flesh at different distances from ground zero.
The USS Saratoga was sunk at Bikini Atoll during the Baker underwater test in 1946 along with the Japanese battleship Nagato. The German cruiser Prinz Eugen was also damaged during the Baker test, but later sank after it was towed to Kwajalein Atoll.

splater18
02-19-2006, 09:03 AM
i think global warming wont kick in fully for aBOUT another 1000 years. but i do think it has started already with katrina:mad: (i live in new orleans):mad: , the tsinami, tornadeos in odd places and temps being very stange so i think it has already started

claustrophobia9
02-19-2006, 09:04 AM
all of the air that replaces the water when it flies up would cause a boat to loose boyancy and sink, if it wasnt blowed up. and hurricanes happen NATURALLY... dont blame global warming... cuz thats BS, N.O. just got hit with a big one, they come around every once and awhile. people need to accept that **** happens, and some coincidence or link isnt reality. everything happens for a reason and this event cant be blamed (more than 5%) on global warming.

druid
02-19-2006, 03:30 PM
watch the movie "the day after tomorrow" and you'll learn everything you need to know about global warming/cooling :eyeroll:

DRAGON
02-19-2006, 03:50 PM
No people but some ships in later test held animals. Scientist wanted to find out what happened craft and flesh at different distances from ground zero.........

Yes, these scientists were once the kids sitting on the sidewalk burning ants with a magnifying glass for kicks lol - :undecided:

Baller-59
02-19-2006, 08:14 PM
That's what I was thinking......I'm assuming the military brass wanted someone to get a close look........and it sure wasn't them volunteering to be that close!
me thinks they were going to scuttle those anyhoo. the scientists who made those things weren't stupid. That or they needed to make some people disappear.

no thats dragon jumping in the pool! :D

If I said that I'd be banned right about now......

DRAGON
02-19-2006, 09:33 PM
........If I said that I'd be banned right about now......

You must understand my friend, claus is a special case(please refer to the asshat incident). They only let him out on weekends so we let him have a little fun here before it's time for him to ride the small bus the rest of the week - ;)

claustrophobia9
02-20-2006, 08:01 AM
You must understand my friend, claus is a special case(please refer to the asshat incident). They only let him out on weekends so we let him have a little fun here before it's time for him to ride the small bus the rest of the week - ;)
HEY! the bus isnt small! its still rather large... its more short, so stop hurting its feelings, it told me that when people make fun of it, it slashes its tires to let the pain out...