PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Myspace users

HelpDeskHustler
01-27-2008, 08:27 AM
All(allegedly) of your private pictures are in a torrent, right now.

After finding a vulnerability in the privately stored photo section of Myspace, hackers downloaded 17Gb of private photographs; that's nearly 567,000 images. They're claiming that it's all of the private images, I find that hard to believe, but it is a lot and it certainly could be possible. After they downloaded these images they placed them in a .zip file and tossed them out onto a popular torrent distributer.

Just thought you'd like to know. Maybe you understand why I don't have a Myspace now.

king-man
01-27-2008, 08:33 AM
well,i feel safe now, good thing i only had a few pics of me outside on a camp

irishwarrior
01-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Good thing I don't have a myspace account. HA HA losers. Schadenfreude is a cruel emotion. :(

newkid
01-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Myspace FTL

HelpDeskHustler
01-27-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't have 17Gb to DL the file to check it to see any truth behind it, let alone enough space to unpack it to.

Moe
01-27-2008, 08:57 AM
Good thing I don't post half naked pictures of myself on myspace.

king-man
01-27-2008, 09:19 AM
lol, some people are gonna be stars ;)

durrell
01-27-2008, 09:32 AM

Yep, I have nothing to worry about. Hope they enjoy seeing pictures of my truck and some random little kid dancing around.

HelpDeskHustler
01-27-2008, 09:43 AM

That was the other reason I didn't download it... I know some kids are retarded and they put their LOLI up on myspace. I don't want the partyvan coming because I downloaded stuff I don't even want to see (loli).

pbfreak3221
01-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Good thing I use facebook, which is far superior if I may add.

paintballkid0206
01-27-2008, 10:35 AM
i use bebo. parents say that i'm not old enough to have a myspace so i got bebo. it's good enough.

durrell
01-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Good thing I use facebook, which is far superior if I may add.

Facebook blows. I've even thought about deleting my account from there.

HelpDeskHustler
01-27-2008, 11:10 AM
Facebook blows. I've even thought about deleting my account from there.

troof.

pbfreak3221
01-27-2008, 11:10 AM
How does facebook blow, it doesn't have the distracting back grounds that turn the text to that light shade of colors that make it impossible to read, it hasn't reached the point where people are auto sending spam every hour to everyone on their friend list, and pages don't take ten minutes just to scroll down to the bottom to see their comments. Layout wise facbeook is far superior because the profiles are well set up and neatly organized and you can easily navigate through the profiles to find the info you want. It mainly beats MySpace because most profiles are so ugly and inconsistent.

HelpDeskHustler
01-27-2008, 11:20 AM
it hasn't reached the point where people are auto sending spam every hour to everyone on their friend list

pages don't take ten minutes just to scroll down to the bottom to see their comments.

Layout wise facbeook is far superior because the profiles are well set up and neatly organized and you can easily navigate through the profiles to find the info you want.

Those three are all false. After apps, facebook became extraordinarily sucky. Not to mention, facebook's servers BLOW it takes forever to get to facebook.

durrell
01-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Those three are all false. After apps, facebook became extraordinarily sucky. Not to mention, facebook's servers BLOW it takes forever to get to facebook.

Troofs.

Facebook profiles are getting WORSE than MySpace. People have like 324958720347 apps, so just scrolling down to comment someone is a chore. With MySpace, if you only add people you know then it's so much better than Facebook.

pbfreak3221
01-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Although the apps have gotten excessive they are now all grouped into one icon on your alert screen,and facebook is very organized layout wise, because if you do not want to look at a certian application or photo or information section you can just hide it, and look at what your really want. For all of 2005 and most of 2006, MySpace was the cool thing for high school teens and Facebook was the cool thing for college students. This is not to say that MySpace was solely high school or Facebook solely college, but there was a dominating age division that played out in the cultural sphere. The currently more popular choice for the High school age group continues to be Facebook. Although I think that Facebook is better, the two competeing sites are fueling each other. As you adds a new exciting or interesting perk, the other has come back with their own. They thrive off each other.

durrell
01-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Eh, I disagree. Facebook is popular for high school and college students, while MySpace is more for middle school and high school, and then adults. I know a lot of parents who have gotten MySpaces to see who they can find, if not solely to keep an eye on their kids. Which is why a lot of kids like Facebook, because you can see NOTHING unless you're someone's friend.

I still prefer the plain-ness of MySpace to the clusterbomb that is Facebook. If it wasn't for the fact that I'll be at a new college next year and want to be able to see friends within that network, I'd delete mine altogether.

newkid
01-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Facebook> myspace

pbfreak3221
01-27-2008, 11:52 AM
because you can see NOTHING unless you're someone's friend.

Which is a very helpful security precaution.

HelpDeskHustler
01-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Which is a very helpful security precaution.

Don't put **** on the internet if you don't want somebody who could be looking for it to see it. Period.

pbfreak3221
01-27-2008, 12:36 PM
Any information you put on the internet could be classified as "****" that you don't want people to see. It is suggested that even if you have myspace, to make your profile private.

irishwarrior
01-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Guys chill on the flames. We can have calm controlled conversations here, can't we?

pbfreak3221
01-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Or... we could create a thread specifically on the topic Facebook vs. Myspace.

irishwarrior
01-27-2008, 02:19 PM
That is a good idea, flame each other all you want there! :tank2::banned: :nutkick: :couchplus:

HelpDeskHustler
01-27-2008, 03:14 PM
This will do fine, as all it's doing is stating the flaws of "private" data online.

pbfreak3221
01-27-2008, 03:39 PM
I think as both of are arguments have stated, both sites have their flaws, and perks, and in the end it all comes down to personal preference.

QAZ123
01-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Interesting...

durrell
01-27-2008, 04:06 PM
I think as both of are arguments have stated, both sites have their flaws, and perks, and in the end it all comes down to personal preference.

Troof

MySpace > Facebook

:p

deano 177
01-27-2008, 04:37 PM
If you dont want your goodies out there then you shouldnt put them on there. What if one of your friends is an a-hole and puts them out there for all to see? I stand by my first statement.

pbfreak3221
01-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Troof

MySpace = Facebook

:p

Agreed

HelpDeskHustler
01-27-2008, 04:43 PM
If you dont want your goodies out there then you shouldnt put them on there. What if one of your friends is an a-hole and puts them out there for all to see? I stand by my first statement.

Sue him.

vikingshadow
01-27-2008, 04:48 PM
I have a Myspace for one reason. To keep an eye on my daughter's Myspace, lol!

I hardly EVER go on it, and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did. The only pictures I have are paintball pics, and some family pics. I don't think I even have a half naked picture of me in the house, let alone on the pooter...

marvin-martian
01-27-2008, 05:08 PM
who would want to see a half naked picture of you anyway?

HelpDeskHustler
01-27-2008, 05:24 PM

4 teh lulz?

leed
01-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Haha, Myspace/Facebook is for nerds.

:dodgy:

I'm not to worried. I don't have anything embarrassing on either Facebook or MySpace.

HelpDeskHustler
01-27-2008, 06:31 PM
I'm half naked in the 17gb of myspace pics. find me. I'm wearing a striped red/white shirt.

pinkanese
01-27-2008, 06:44 PM
oooh that sounds like a challenge, too bad that by the time I downloaded the 17gbs I would be old enough to get those kind of pictures bylegal means :(.

J/k

That idea, and Myspace in general I see as a waste of time. Which in the end this post has little point as well.

Hossy
01-27-2008, 07:04 PM
I have a Myspace for one reason. To keep an eye on my daughter's Myspace, lol!

I hardly EVER go on it, and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did. The only pictures I have are paintball pics, and some family pics. I don't think I even have a half naked picture of me in the house, let alone on the pooter...

I hate parents like you. No offense, but im so glad my parents give me privacy in my social life. I dont do anything stupid, like I dont abuse the power, but I do like my parents not looking at things I do online and what i say.

HelpDeskHustler
01-27-2008, 07:12 PM
I'd agree with hossy on some level. If you punish her for stuff you find spying... then award to you for asshatness. If you're on checking all the time, again, award. If you get on to see what all the hoopla is about, and to make sure your daughter doesn't have some alter-lifestyle without reading all of the messages, then you never get on again... it's ok i guess.

My dad used to do that with AIM profiles, it bothered me. /therapist.

newkid
01-27-2008, 07:23 PM
I hate parents like you. No offense, but im so glad my parents give me privacy in my social life. I dont do anything stupid, like I dont abuse the power, but I do like my parents not looking at things I do online and what i say.

I hate it too. my dad is always looking over my shoulder and asking me 20 questions. I couldnt do anything bad even if i wanted to. my computer is in my living room for god's sake!

Hossy
01-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Some parents are cool thought that I actually do talk to on facebook/ did on myspace. There kids dont agree, but some parents are worth the conversation IMO, and they are great cooks for the most part :)

Hossy
01-27-2008, 07:33 PM
I hate it too. my dad is always looking over my shoulder and asking me 20 questions. I couldnt do anything bad even if i wanted to. my computer is in my living room for god's sake!

at least it isnt in your bedroom or something and hes looking over your shoulder!
to my POV, There is a point where parents do need to know some info about your kids IMO, like if im going out friday night or what not, My parents know where ill be, if I decide to go somewhere else I usually tell them before hand that I may end up at so and sos house or what not. Ill let them know who im with, and if I dont have my cell phone a number that they can call if they really start to worry, but if im out late Ill call them and be like mom, you can go to sleep and stop worrying about me!

but IMO parents shouldnt watch everything, I mean we are growing older and getting more responsible!

vikingshadow
01-28-2008, 06:19 AM

4 teh lulz?
I'll admit, I laughed out loud at this!

Ok, get ready for the return of the Vike Post - been a VERY long time since I posted like this, mwahahahahahahahaha! (There is a tl;dr: for you lazy folk.)
Come back and see me when you're a parent - or better yet, when you have teenage daughters. No offense taken, and none meant by this either, but you really don't understand as you have no frame of reference outside of how you want your parents to monitor your life to judge any other parent by yet.

In all honesty, I made that post earlier as a semi "joke", as I don't spy on her with it. I actually had my page about 6 months before her for the NWOK paintball club.

However, with all the sicko's out there these days, people using Myspace to hunt down kids with perverted predatorial type intentions, and with the suicide of that one girl from a "prank" played by some sick kids - I'll do everything I can to protect my girls. If it means having a Myspace page to check on her from time to time, so be it. She can hate me for it, but in the end, she'll know I did it out of love and protectiveness, nothing else. Also, if sshe has to have a place to post half-naked pictures of herself in provocative pposes and making kissy faces to the camera, I'd just as soon she not have one. She knows that, and I think it helps her stay grounded, not that she'd do that, but as a parent I have to prepare for ALL possibilities. There has been a couple of times she forwarded those chain things that didn't fall within what I thought was appropriate for someone who is my child and living with me to show, so I made her remove them. That's about the limit of my "spying" on her.

Do I trust her? You bet.
Does she have privacy in her social life - absolutely. I don't listen to her phone conversations, I don't read her emails or letters(but I do have her passwords just in case - it's part of the deal). I don't snoop through her diary or her notebooks, or anything. It's part of that trust thing that she hasn't violated yet.

On the other hand,
Do I ask where she's going? Yes.
Do I ask if she does drugs, smokes, knows about sex, knows the intentions of the boy she likes, where she was and why she was late? Yup.
Do I make her call me when she's out and has a change of plans. Definitely!
Do I overprotect? Most of the time, yes.
Do boys get nervous around me if they're seeing my daughter. Damn right, they do.

I expect it will be that way until she's married, and probably after as well. It's all part of being a caring, loving parent. Trust me, your parents know more about you than you think they do. The difference is, I let her know about it.
at least it isnt in your bedroom or something and hes looking over your shoulder!
to my POV, There is a point where parents do need to know some info about your kids IMO, like if im going out friday night or what not, My parents know where ill be, if I decide to go somewhere else I usually tell them before hand that I may end up at so and sos house or what not. Ill let them know who im with, and if I dont have my cell phone a number that they can call if they really start to worry, but if im out late Ill call them and be like mom, you can go to sleep and stop worrying about me!

but IMO parents shouldnt watch everything, I mean we are growing older and getting more responsible!
I agree with this. I don't look over her shoulder, I don't snoop or ask for more information than she's willing to give me. As I stated before, I do the same thing with my daughter as far as the calling and such.

Personally, I don't WANT to know everything about her - it worries me too much. Remember, I'm a teacher and deal with kids her age every day. It's enough to cause an ulcer so I'd rather not know about a lot of it!

I'd agree with hossy on some level. If you punish her for stuff you find spying... then award to you for asshatness. If you're on checking all the time, again, award. If you get on to see what all the hoopla is about, and to make sure your daughter doesn't have some alter-lifestyle without reading all of the messages, then you never get on again... it's ok i guess.

My dad used to do that with AIM profiles, it bothered me. /therapist.
That being said, I'm not using it to spy on her. I check my Myspace page like once a month - unless I get an email saying I have a comment. My daughter knows straight up that I don't allow a lot of the crap that spews forth from Myspace. If I don't allow it in real life, I'll be damned if I allow it to be on the interweb. To me, that's two faced, and puts out an even more REAL message about the person doing it. I'm teaching my kids my morals, and hopefully it'll carry through to life after Myspace.

I never have used it to "punish" her. I have used it to explain why we don't do or say a certain thing, and why I would PREFER she not do it. If she choses to do that, I'll be disappointed, and possibly will restrict her access to it. After all, what she does in her life, how she interacts with others directly relates back to me and my family.

Again, for the record I don't check her myspace page but maybe once a month, but then again, I guess I "check" all the people's pages I have on my friends list - the difference is, I don't have a say in how they move forward in their lives.

tl:dr; I didn't think that it would spawn this much of a discussion or that I would have to explain how I love and protect my kids.

deano 177
01-28-2008, 08:26 AM
I'll admit...... I love and protect my kids.
:pwnd:
It's your job as a parent to be this way.:up: It's your job as a kid not to like for your parents to be this way.:D I totally agree with Vike...

durrell
01-28-2008, 09:49 AM
My mom uses my little brother's MySpace to look at my sister's and my MySpace. I don't really care, I have nothing at all to hide.

DFSniper
01-28-2008, 03:08 PM
lol, about 90% of my pics arent even of me (or people, for that matter)

Hossy
01-28-2008, 05:57 PM
I'll admit, I laughed out loud at this!

Ok, get ready for the return of the Vike Post - been a VERY long time since I posted like this, mwahahahahahahahaha! (There is a tl;dr: for you lazy folk.)

Come back and see me when you're a parent - or better yet, when you have teenage daughters. No offense taken, and none meant by this either, but you really don't understand as you have no frame of reference outside of how you want your parents to monitor your life to judge any other parent by yet.

In all honesty, I made that post earlier as a semi "joke", as I don't spy on her with it. I actually had my page about 6 months before her for the NWOK paintball club.

However, with all the sicko's out there these days, people using Myspace to hunt down kids with perverted predatorial type intentions, and with the suicide of that one girl from a "prank" played by some sick kids - I'll do everything I can to protect my girls. If it means having a Myspace page to check on her from time to time, so be it. She can hate me for it, but in the end, she'll know I did it out of love and protectiveness, nothing else. Also, if sshe has to have a place to post half-naked pictures of herself in provocative pposes and making kissy faces to the camera, I'd just as soon she not have one. She knows that, and I think it helps her stay grounded, not that she'd do that, but as a parent I have to prepare for ALL possibilities. There has been a couple of times she forwarded those chain things that didn't fall within what I thought was appropriate for someone who is my child and living with me to show, so I made her remove them. That's about the limit of my "spying" on her.

Do I trust her? You bet.
Does she have privacy in her social life - absolutely. I don't listen to her phone conversations, I don't read her emails or letters(but I do have her passwords just in case - it's part of the deal). I don't snoop through her diary or her notebooks, or anything. It's part of that trust thing that she hasn't violated yet.

On the other hand,
Do I ask where she's going? Yes.
Do I ask if she does drugs, smokes, knows about sex, knows the intentions of the boy she likes, where she was and why she was late? Yup.
Do I make her call me when she's out and has a change of plans. Definitely!
Do I overprotect? Most of the time, yes.
Do boys get nervous around me if they're seeing my daughter. Damn right, they do.

I expect it will be that way until she's married, and probably after as well. It's all part of being a caring, loving parent. Trust me, your parents know more about you than you think they do. The difference is, I let her know about it.

I agree with this. I don't look over her shoulder, I don't snoop or ask for more information than she's willing to give me. As I stated before, I do the same thing with my daughter as far as the calling and such.

Personally, I don't WANT to know everything about her - it worries me too much. Remember, I'm a teacher and deal with kids her age every day. It's enough to cause an ulcer so I'd rather not know about a lot of it!

That being said, I'm not using it to spy on her. I check my Myspace page like once a month - unless I get an email saying I have a comment. My daughter knows straight up that I don't allow a lot of the crap that spews forth from Myspace. If I don't allow it in real life, I'll be damned if I allow it to be on the interweb. To me, that's two faced, and puts out an even more REAL message about the person doing it. I'm teaching my kids my morals, and hopefully it'll carry through to life after Myspace.

I never have used it to "punish" her. I have used it to explain why we don't do or say a certain thing, and why I would PREFER she not do it. If she choses to do that, I'll be disappointed, and possibly will restrict her access to it. After all, what she does in her life, how she interacts with others directly relates back to me and my family.

Again, for the record I don't check her myspace page but maybe once a month, but then again, I guess I "check" all the people's pages I have on my friends list - the difference is, I don't have a say in how they move forward in their lives.

tl:dr; I didn't think that it would spawn this much of a discussion or that I would have to explain how I love and protect my kids.

Dont get me wrong, There is a point where parents need to know a certain amount of what their kids are doing. But, when parents go to a huge extent, there is a problem IMO.
Sorry If i sounded somewhat harsh vike!

vikingshadow
01-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Didn't take it that way at all. It's all good!

HelpDeskHustler
01-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Keep in mind, despite any thing that might make him a lame parent, he still shoots teh pbz.

paintballkid0206
01-29-2008, 01:47 PM
my did says taht i cant have my door closed when i'm in my room. i think that's bs. and he insists on knowing every website taht i go to before i go on. hello?!? ever heard of web history????? or privacy????? AND he makes me keep a history of my msn convos on the computer and he reads them. i understand that he wants the history in case something bad happens, but he just randomly reads them. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

pbfreak3221
01-29-2008, 01:48 PM
my did says taht i cant have my door closed when i'm in my room. i think that's bs. and he insists on knowing every website taht i go to before i go on. hello?!? ever heard of web history?????

huh?

DFSniper
01-29-2008, 07:53 PM
lol, my parents were like that. a few months of loud music changed "why do you always close your door?" to "shut your damn door!" i'm 19, still living at home, and still have to deal with a lot of the same rules that all of today's teens are facing when it comes to the internet, but usually mine are a lot more lax. i see where the parents are coming from, but at the same time i see where the kids are going, since im somewhere inbetween. my parents arent--"with it" i guess would be the correct term--when it comes to the internet thing, so i can see how they cant come to terms with the fact that i could spend all day online talking to friends, playing games, hanging around forums, and doing other stuff (i.e. myspace, youtube, and wikipedia "research" out of plain curiousity).

from an adults point of view, i feel ya, vike! sometimes i look over my sister's shoulder to see who she's talking to or writing to. she's almost 15, and some of the conversations she has and things she writes i see and get over protective about, like when she talks to guys older than her (her best friend, who is my best friend's little sister, got hit on by a guy thats like 18-19, but thats another story. so red flags definately go up anytime she talks to a guy from school on myspace...). her msn name is some crappy emo-wannabe poem (something about life being like rocks and/or water and a "cold, hard peril"...) and she still won't tell me what thats all about. i look at today's youth and think "wow, we were never like that at that age!" and when i was that age, i still spent more time communicating with my friends verbally than online (these were the 56k days :() but other than that, its still fun to instill fear on her friends and "boyfriends"!

paintballkid0206
01-30-2008, 10:00 AM
huh?

he thinks that i shouild alwaqys keep the door closed whenever i'm in my room.

he also says that i have to tell him every web site that i go on before i go on it.

and web history is something on my computer taht allows you to check all the web sites that have been accessed in the past week.

DFSniper
01-30-2008, 10:44 AM
but you can delete stuff from your web history, or even just turn it off.

newkid
01-30-2008, 03:08 PM
my did says taht i cant have my door closed when i'm in my room. i think that's bs. and he insists on knowing every website taht i go to before i go on. hello?!? ever heard of web history????? or privacy????? AND he makes me keep a history of my msn convos on the computer and he reads them. i understand that he wants the history in case something bad happens, but he just randomly reads them. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

wow thats rediculas that really sucks

paintballkid0206
02-01-2008, 07:07 PM
yea newkid, it REALLY does. and i know that it can be turned off but i would be in big trouble if i did.