PDA

View Full Version : Venturi Removed Bolt

mr1newbie
01-25-2008, 05:40 PM
I saw on Otterscustoms.com a mod to take the venturi out of the stock bolt. What are the benefits to this? Has anyone done it? If so how hard or easy is it? Also, it said to sand the inside edge of the front of the bolt a little. Is this neccesary? If so, what grit sandpaper should I use? Thanks

deano 177
01-26-2008, 06:04 AM
I saw on Otterscustoms.com a mod to take the venturi out of the stock bolt. What are the benefits to this? Has anyone done it? If so how hard or easy is it? Also, it said to sand the inside edge of the front of the bolt a little. Is this neccesary? If so, what grit sandpaper should I use? Thanks
I did not do this with my MR1 because the venturi was not in there. I guess they have stopped putting them in a lot of bolts.

jkersh
01-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't have a MR1 but I took my venturi out easily. I used a pair of hemostats and out it came with little resistance. I sanded the lip on my bolt with a dremel tool and then polished it. If you are using sandpaper i would start with 400 and then gradually move up to 1000. As far as air goes, I think in theory it would help with efficiency, although I am no expert by far. It will make your gun shoot faster so you will need to turn it down after removing.

vikingshadow
01-26-2008, 01:00 PM
There's no real documented proof that a venturi helps or hinders the operation of a gun. At least, none that I've seen. In my mind, without it there, it doesn't create any "blocks" in the air flow, slight that they are. If you look at most "low pressure" bolts, especially spoolies, there's no venturi in it, although in guns like 2K2 Timmies the bolt has it actually molded into the delrin/aluminum.

If you just want to tinker, go ahead and remove it. I did it with a pair of LONG needle nose pliers. Others have said that after a bit of time, it just shoots out the end of their guns. If that happens, better hope it doesn't scratch the bejeezus out of your barrel!

Erlkonig
01-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Well, I have been debating on doing this since I read on Otters site (Man, I LOVE that site =D), and given that 1) It will allow me to drop my operating pressure (once I pick up the Palmers) and 2) Prevent the possibility of the thing flying out of the gun on its' own (sounds like that could be a BAAAAD thing for barrels and possibly anyone to close by), I have decided that as soon as I get a suitable set of needle nose pliers, that thing is coming out!

Thanks for the heads up vikingshadow =)

alabama_lowlife
01-27-2008, 05:22 AM
a friend of mine used 2 allen wrenches to get his out. just placed them on opposite sides of the venturi and unscrewed it. out course the bolt was quite hot at the time from me polishing it so that might have helped it come out a little easier.

strick04
01-30-2008, 08:04 PM
I believe it made a difference when I took mine out. It could have been the slight weight reduction or then again it could just be in my head. Either way It definenty didn't hurt to take it out.

jarhead7
05-28-2008, 05:06 AM
I agree on Otter's page, great source on spyder's. Sometimes you need to add heat to get the venturi out due to loctite. Just remember to remove orings first. My son's fell out down in his room, I have not removed mine yet so I can see how it shoots with it.