PDA

View Full Version : Need Networking Help

Critical
01-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Okay, I just got a new printer. I got all fancy and got an Ethernet capable HP all-in-one :D Anyway, I was able to get my Mac to read the networked printer, no problem, I flipped over to XP on the Mac, set it up, no problem there either. Here's my problem, I have a company laptop that is also running XP, it's set up to log into the company domain on startup. I have limited login rights to this machine. I need to be able to print from this computer to the networked printer. However, neither the included CD installer, nor the printer wizard were able to find the printer through either IP, Host Name or MAC address.

My question to you, the computer experts, is this: How can I get this to work?

DFSniper
01-22-2008, 05:36 PM
you should be able to go into your network setup and use the wizard to create a network connection to connect to your home network, unless your computer restricts you from doing so.

Critical
01-23-2008, 05:37 AM
The network connection wizard gives me these options:
1. Connect to the internet
Connect to the internet so you can browse the web and read email

2. Connect to the network at my workplace
Connect to a business network (using dial-up or VPN) so you can work from home, a field office, or another location.

3. Set up an advanced connection
Connect directly to another computer using your serial, parallel or infrared port, or set up this computer so that other computers can connect to it.

I tried each option, none of them really did what I am trying to do.

durrell
01-23-2008, 05:53 AM
What you need to make sure of is that you're in the same workgroup as the other computers in your house. That is the most common issue I see with people having network printer problems, and that kind of sounds like the issue. If all the other computers can see it, but that one can't, then I would assume it's in the wrong workgroup.

Critical
01-23-2008, 06:16 AM
Correct. The problem I'm having is that, with the restrictions that the corporation has in place, I can't just go in and add the workgroup. I would like to find a way to do it that does what I need, but also does not violate company policy (biting the hand that feeds is bad, nibbling just shows you care). The company has a universal HP driver that I'm hoping has network support. Worst case scenario is that I have the printer networked for all the rest, and this one gets connected via USB, not the worst thing in the world, but having two cables doing the job of one annoys me.

durrell
01-23-2008, 06:23 AM
I suppose you could cheat and name your home workgroup the same thing your company's is. Kind of like if I leave my house which is MSHOME and go to a friend's house that is MSHOME, just on different networks. Of course then you'd have to make sure you change all the other computers to that same workgroup, but it might work.

Critical
01-23-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm having a brain meltdown this morning. Where do I go to change the workgroup? I have to change it in the router settings, correct?

bamf-hacker
01-23-2008, 06:38 AM
Your Domain cached info on your work laptop is not preventing you from getting the the printer.

HP embeds the drivers in the shell and you need admin rights to do so.

Bring the disk to the office and ask the IT department to install the printer for you, then when you are home you can configure it.

I have the same HP networked printer and needed to do the that on my wife's work laptop. Well sort of, they found out my skill set and gave me the rights to do it myself, but that is how you can get it installed.