PDA

View Full Version : what size J&J barrel is best

motokid351
01-19-2008, 07:06 PM
i was trying to figure out which size JnJ barrel to buy and i cant decide between the 14", 16", and the 20". which ones best. which one shoots farther, if either, which shoots afster, more accurate. anything. help would be appreciaated. thanks.

mr1newbie
01-19-2008, 07:13 PM
I know, probably the longer it is the better accuracy you'll have, but I've heard a lot of people say that you that you shouldn't go over 16''.

Hope this helps!

SpyderMan723
01-19-2008, 07:18 PM
i was trying to figure out which size JnJ barrel to buy and i cant decide between the 14", 16", and the 20". which ones best. which one shoots farther, if either, which shoots afster, more accurate. anything. help would be appreciaated. thanks.

I have the 16" J&J and i think its a little much.
14" would do fine for you

motokid351
01-19-2008, 07:25 PM
cool thanks. i did hear that longer was more accurate but i heard that it slows down the feet per second. to fix that you need to turn up the velocity. i think 16" would be good. its long but not to long.

vikingshadow
01-19-2008, 08:27 PM
"The longer it is, the more accurate it is" is a total myth. DO NOT BELIEVE IT! All barrels are pretty much going to have the same accuracy since the first 5-8 inches of the barrel are the important part.

Physics dictates that a ball traveling 300 ft per second is going to go the same distance every time, no matter what the size of the barrel is. The only exception is the flatline type barrels that give the ball a back spin to make it fly further by rotating the ball a certain way. The only thing a longer barrel is going to do is cause more friction on the ball for a longer distance, requiring a bit more air use to push it the correct speed. That being said, it's going to become an air hog with the longer barrel.

Optimal size for barrels (which just happen to be the popular sizes right now) are going to range from 12-16 inches, each with their own benefit - shorter barrels help you play tighter, longer helps you wrap air bunkers better and push through undergrowth more.

Just to let you know, I absolutely love my Lucky 15 15" barrel from Warped Sports (not to be mistaken with the Lucky company.)

slim and shady
01-20-2008, 09:38 AM
"The longer it is, the more accurate it is" is a total myth. DO NOT BELIEVE IT! All barrels are pretty much going to have the same accuracy since the first 5-8 inches of the barrel are the important part.

Physics dictates that a ball traveling 300 ft per second is going to go the same distance every time, no matter what the size of the barrel is. The only exception is the flatline type barrels that give the ball a back spin to make it fly further by rotating the ball a certain way. The only thing a longer barrel is going to do is cause more friction on the ball for a longer distance, requiring a bit more air use to push it the correct speed. That being said, it's going to become an air hog with the longer barrel.

Optimal size for barrels (which just happen to be the popular sizes right now) are going to range from 12-16 inches, each with their own benefit - shorter barrels help you play tighter, longer helps you wrap air bunkers better and push through undergrowth more.

Just to let you know, I absolutely love my Lucky 15 15" barrel from Warped Sports (not to be mistaken with the Lucky company.)

I agree fully accuracy is determined buy paint to bore match, hence barrel kits give you best accuracy because you can bore to your paint. The longer the barrel doesnt give you a longer shot or better accuracy.

Quick_2
01-20-2008, 10:52 AM
I'd go for 14".. i thinks it's the perfect size.. it allows you to get through those little weeds but yet not get yourself stuck behind the bunker because your barrel needs more room to be able to manuver properly... I guess it's all personal preference but i would go with 14"

vikingshadow
01-20-2008, 11:00 AM
I agree fully accuracy is determined buy paint to bore match, hence barrel kits give you best accuracy because you can bore to your paint. The longer the barrel doesnt give you a longer shot or better accuracy.

However, even this train of thought is up in the air. For years, I've overbored my barrels to catch that one or two misshapen ball that could cause a barrel break and mess everything up. I have a freak kit that I would size my paint with, then move up a size or two, just to CMA. Even efficiency results are iffy with a bore just one or two sizes too big...

But, even though I tend to agree with you, I'll continue to overbore as I don't have time to clean my barrel if a barrel break occurs.

slim and shady
01-20-2008, 01:02 PM
To be honest i havnt even got to use my kit yet. I bought a 7 peice empire kit (older one) but i play mostly scenario and woods so i plan to bore as close as possible, I should have adiquate time to clean and if not i can use my side arm in the mean time.
For paintball accuracy has always been disputed you are using paintballs that are apt to imperfection, but I HOPE with this new kit things will have a better concistancy.
Speeking of that you should look into HPA to if you dont already use it that will help your markers preformence alot to.

EDIT: I still want those Vike passes i just dont have the cash for both barrels, you wouldnt wanna just give them to me would you????