PDA

View Full Version : Turning an MR1 into a sniper

speedemon
01-19-2008, 01:49 PM
I have a mr1 with a rocking trigger, j&j 16" barrell, alamo city low blow bolt, evo 3 hopper and run co2. I was looking to turn my gun into a sniper. But I can't go to heavy because I will use this gun in all situations. I'm getting the mr3 carry handle to put a scope on and a new striker from alamo city. I have the factory stock but it's benn modified. Are there any suggestions on anything else to do to my gun. I would like to get a little more distance out of it. I already had an apex barrel but diddn't like because of it's loud report. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Barrels tips mods whatever let's here them or see pictures.

Taillo
01-19-2008, 02:14 PM
I think your already getting one of the best performances because of the j&j barrel. I think the only next thing to get would be a remote line or expansion chamber for more consistency and/or a qloader to reduce your visibility. You can also try to build a detachable muzzle to silence your shots, but its not legal everywhere depending of its efficiency. ( If it can be used to silence a real gun then its illegal )

Thricearch
01-19-2008, 02:48 PM
check out my pics in the 'post your pics' section..i use a 21" smart parts tactical barrel with a BT bipod

i also got a gun ghillie kit for my gun..so it basically looks like a mossy cousin IT with a barrel coming out the front lol...

slim and shady
01-19-2008, 06:01 PM
-Barrel kit, gives better accuracy
-HPA, more concistancy
-Bi-pod, more stability
-low profile hopper or tube magazine
-Remote coil, lightens the gun makes you smaller and less noticeble
-ghillie, its a snipers best defence
-Mask fan! there is nothing worse then trying to snipe when everytime you stop moving your mask fogs up!

motokid351
01-19-2008, 06:22 PM
i was thinking about buying a J&J Ceramic 20" for my up and coming MR1 sniper and i was wondering if it was worth to get that or the 16" or something completely different. i would like to know if the distance is good andif the accuracy is good, i you dont mind. Finally, what size paintball should be used because i heard the barrel was a little bigger than a .68 caliber. If you could give me your opinion or anything to offer that would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

deano 177
01-19-2008, 06:27 PM
i was thinking about buying a J&J Ceramic 20" for my up and coming MR1 sniper and i was wondering if it was worth to get that or the 16" or something completely different. i would like to know if the distance is good andif the accuracy is good, i you dont mind. Finally, what size paintball should be used because i heard the barrel was a little bigger than a .68 caliber. If you could give me your opinion or anything to offer that would be greatly appreciated. thanks. I got the 14". I have not tried other barrels other than the stock one that came with the MR1. The inside diameter is .689. As far as the paint... that is a little beyond me. I use alot of nelson and diablo heat. It is ok.

motokid351
01-19-2008, 06:35 PM
thanks for the help. so is the 14" really accurate then?

speedemon
01-19-2008, 06:36 PM
I am going to get a remote line for it. The 16" j&j does a good job but it could have a little more distance it would be great. I have heard the 20" j&j are not that accurate but I don't know I have not tried one yet. My 3 next mods are a alamo city striker, remote line, whatever else I can find. Has anybody checked out the gun kits at www.opsgear.com yet. They have some sharp kits for the tippmans but nothing for the spyder.

motokid351
01-19-2008, 06:46 PM
so, fourteen is the best barrel to snipe with? and no i havent checked out the tippmann kits but opsgear always has nice kits.

speedemon
01-19-2008, 08:19 PM
I would probably say the 16" but thats just because that's what I'm using now and I have never used a 14".

deano 177
01-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Well, as far as distance goes, you are not going to get you balls to fly further than anyone else. 300 fps with a 20" is going the same distance as 300 fps with a 12". You may have better accuracy with the longer barrel. A lot of the barrel choices have to do with your preferances and the look you want your marker to have. As far as I know the APEX and the Tippman Flatline are the only two barrels that will be able to deliver any longer distances. They do this by putting a backspin on the pball.

I would like to have someone do some tests with a 12", 14", 16", and a 20" to see if they make any difference... They would need to be the same

irishwarrior
01-20-2008, 05:09 AM
To add on to what deano was saying, for paintball markers if the barrel is any longer than 14" it just uses up more air, due to the increased distance the ball has to go to exit the barrel and it could be more prone to breakage when using cheaper paint. I have a 14" Smart Parts Progressive and it goes the same distance and has the same accuracy as any of the longer barrels on the field. That said, I also have a 16" RAP4 tactical barrel. 16" just because it looks cooler. :slap: :darth: :butwiggle: :peace:

Thricearch
01-20-2008, 05:53 AM
To add on to what deano was saying, for paintball markers if the barrel is any longer than 14" it just uses up more air, due to the increased distance the ball has to go to exit the barrel and it could be more prone to breakage when using cheaper paint. I have a 14" Smart Parts Progressive and it goes the same distance and has the same accuracy as any of the longer barrels on the field. That said, I also have a 16" RAP4 tactical barrel. 16" just because it looks cooler. :slap: :darth: :butwiggle: :peace:

everyone says this and thinks its true..you waste maybe 20 balls out of an entire tank of air..

the extra length is useful if you want to snipe..if you play in a lot of high grass/high concealment areas..you can expose your barrel to fire and not yourself..a useful advantage

deano 177
01-20-2008, 07:47 AM
everyone says this and thinks its true..you waste maybe 20 balls out of an entire tank of air.. I would gather to say it may not even be that much. I guess the easiest way to test would be to use some twelve grams. It would probably be about the same... Just a guess.

the extra length is useful if you want to snipe..if you play in a lot of high grass/high concealment areas..you can expose your barrel to fire and not yourself..a useful advantage This is truly the only tatical advantage that you can prove without buying all the barrels and doing a test.

Thricearch
01-20-2008, 01:40 PM
This is truly the only tatical advantage that you can prove without buying all the barrels and doing a test.

exactly..so if you want to snipe..get the extra length (usually for the same price)

pinkanese
01-20-2008, 03:51 PM
If you want it to look 'sniperish' drop the rocker and get a sinlge trigger frame, get rid of the eggy 3 and made a longbow feed, then geta vest and some ghille, run it on a remote. You might also consider a red dot sight. That should be enough to get you started.

camo_mr1
01-20-2008, 07:17 PM
a remote line is awsome, it took some getting use to for me but i wont use my gun on co2 without it now. i have an air tank but havent played with it, seems to make the gun louder though

i want to buy a j&j 20 also. i seen a pic on here in the post your mr1 section a guy has one it looks sick. my friend has a 20 on his tippman and its worse then the 16 he has but it still gets alot of use. my riffled 16 is awsome the best barrel i bought so far, it puts a spin on the the balls also, for a few more feet but like i read somewere and its true if you have dimples in the paintballs their all over the place

a bi pod is on my list but i cant really see spending $80 something then haveing to buy the addaptor which im not sure the price from the local shop.

im planing on buying/building a vs3 to try speed ball so all this stuff is on the to-do list along with the mr3 handle but someday soon lol

Lonus
01-22-2008, 02:55 PM
A 20 inch barrel will shoot 4'' farther then a 16''. The only way to get more distance without the apex/flatline effect is to increase you fps. But if your field limits fps to say 285 then everyone will shoot the same distance. A more massive paintball in theory would travel farther. So I suppose you could seek out paint with the highest mass.

Paint Noob
01-29-2008, 06:08 AM
Not to get off topic but i think you guys are overrating the flatline and A-pex. Ive used both and am not that happy with them, even though it makes the ball go farther when it reaches that point, the ball isnt going fast enough to break. Most people only talk about how far it goes but how much paint breakes. So unless your running super fragile paint or not "sniping" id suggest you looking at other barrels.

On a topic thats a little more related id suggest running a 14" smart parts liniar barrel, with modded stock, red-dot sight(and if you love pelting people wiht paint like I do) a 2.0 rocking trigger:) !

slim and shady
01-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Not to get off topic but i think you guys are overrating the flatline and A-pex. Ive used both and am not that happy with them, even though it makes the ball go farther when it reaches that point, the ball isnt going fast enough to break. Most people only talk about how far it goes but how much paint breakes. So unless your running super fragile paint or not "sniping" id suggest you looking at other barrels.

On a topic thats a little more related id suggest running a 14" smart parts liniar barrel, with modded stock, red-dot sight(and if you love pelting people wiht paint like I do) a 2.0 rocking trigger:) !

id sugest you use different paint then i use the Apex tip on all my barrels and very seldom have trouble with paint not breaking. Even at the furthest reaches it breaks. But maby I just have better luck then you, in my opinion there not overrated at all at least the Apex anyway.

Paint Noob
01-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Well its opinion, mixed with conditons and what brand of paint. Im using draxxus midnight lol but im playing in canada so the colds bound to affect the ball. All im saying is this (i mihgt as well make a new thread:))...When your ball goes out of the barrel its going a certin speed, lets say 280fps, when the apex puts the spin it dosent affect the speed the balls going at, only the rotation of the ball. The rotation that the balls going at only throws a ball in that ariea. But if you use a SP 14" liniar and a apex going at the same speed, the apex will probably go farther but it needs a speed for it to break. Since the ball isnt gaining any speed from the apex tip they are both going relitivly the same speed! Anyone disagree?

slim and shady
01-29-2008, 12:39 PM
I commented on this on your other thread

b3bbo
03-13-2008, 03:48 PM
hey , i have a mr3 and i like to mod into a sniper but i dont know what barrel is best, i was thinking in a flatline barrel can you tell me
thanks

deano 177
03-13-2008, 06:17 PM
hey , i have a mr3 and i like to mod into a sniper but i dont know what barrel is best, i was thinking in a flatline barrel can you tell me
thanks
Well, if you are running a spyder, you're not going to get a flatline because that is only for tippmans. I guess if you are super good at machining things you may be able to make it work but the design would be a nightmare to try to adapt it to a spyder.

I took this from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paintball_sniper):

"The term 'Paintball snipers' is one of the biggest controversies in paintball today. Snipers in the military are known for their skill and accuracy in long-range combat that sometimes spans over a kilometer. In paintball, such long-range accuracy is impossible, due to the quality, shape and composition of paintballs and the delivery method of carbon dioxide, compressed air or nitrogen. Nevertheless, there are woodsballers and speedballers who carry the title 'paintball sniper', but only for their singular accuracy when compared with other players. It should be noted that many players see the label of sniper as a contradiction. Therefore, the effort by many marksmen today is to be called 'marksmen' instead of 'sniper' can be understood."

So with that being said the best a "marksman" can hope to achieve is the ablility to be accurate with their shots and be concealed in the enviroment around them. A "sniper/marksman" will never be able to get the long range hits in unless they use one of these "back spin" barrels(i.e.: Apex or Tippman's flat line which puts back spin on the ball to achieve lift while traveling through the air. this inturn gives you more distance but you may lose impact velocity).

DFSniper
03-13-2008, 06:21 PM
honestly, i think the best "sniper" gun in paintball would have to be a pump w/ a barrel kit. if you get it to give you a really good recharge rate and paint-to-bore match, your velocity should have a very low fluctuation, like +/- 2-5 fps, meaning your shots will land in almost exactly the same spot every time.

deano 177
03-13-2008, 06:24 PM
honestly, i think the best "sniper" gun in paintball would have to be a pump w/ a barrel kit. if you get it to give you a really good recharge rate and paint-to-bore match, your velocity should have a very low fluctuation, like +/- 2-5 fps, meaning your shots will land in almost exactly the same spot every time.

I always thought that my pumps were way more accurate than any of the semi's that I have owned. You get the occasional screw ball but that is probably more from the paint than anything... I like that idea DF...

DFSniper
03-13-2008, 06:36 PM
thank you. while writing that, i started planning out my spring break project for my new pump (when it finally gets here...hopefully tomorrow, but i doubt it because USPS hasnt updated any tracking info in over 24 hours...)

LT Hill
03-13-2008, 09:42 PM
I have a 14" J&J, as well as the 16" J&J, and currently using a M4 BT Mil-Sim 16" barrel. I find when sighting my gun in, the 16" barrels give much better accuracy with more of a straighter looking shot than the 14". The 12" barrel that came with the gun was ok, but nothing like the 16".

GO WITH A 16" J&J.

My two cents.:dancingman:

N_Dub_Spyder
03-14-2008, 06:15 AM
Pump markers DO make good snipers. Not because they shoot further, but because they are SOOOO much quieter.

deano 177
03-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Pump markers DO make good snipers. Not because they shoot further, but because they are SOOOO much quieter.

I have heard some loud pumps. But you don't have the noise that comes from the of the cycle of the marker. I don't think that anyone can dispute the "farther" atribute. That's been covered.:p

bassmasta
03-16-2008, 02:02 PM
get the apex, not for distance, but for accuracy. you can do some simple math with a red dot adjuster to get the correct distance, as the apex forces the ball to fly straight, rather than at a curve.

Pat
12-06-2008, 05:21 PM
I have a 16 inch tactical and I found the best paint to use is called xball. It has an orange and black checkered pattern on it. It’s a nice fit in the barrel. (Wont roll down it if you place it inside. but slides easily (this is so less co2 escapes around the ball for more accuracy) I’ve been known to get 200 or more feet head shots from time to time)

ferret15
12-06-2008, 07:25 PM
urban legand.

after a certian point it takes more air to push the ball out of the barrel.
remeber 280fps=280fps a longer barrel mean more air and you cant go too short either.

ct_painball_warrior
12-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Speed,

I have 2 MR1’s and I have owned them for about a year now. I have tried a lot of different things with them including the 20" J&J, which I shot a few times and gave up on because for me it was not accurate and used more air, it was also hard to clean.

I also like to snipe and here are my two setups:

#1 – Low Presure MR1

• MR1 body with E-MR1 trigger.
• Freak Kit with Apex Tip – 14” in total length.
• Rocket Valve (self contained valve with built in spring).
• Shocktech Spring Kit (4 springs, more choices than stock spring kit).
• Replaced the MR1 Reservoir Pin with a custom made reservoir (4” long, 11/32” bore) with gauge.
• Replaced the MR1 Mag and air hose with a Bob Long regulator mounted to the marker vertically using a Palmers Pursuit NPT to ASA adapter.
• RAP 4 Flexi Air Stock with a 13ci 3000 PSI tank inside an adjustable CAR Stock. The Flexi Air stock is connected to the Bob Long Regulator by a hose and 2 swivel 90 degree fittings.
• HALLO TSA Frontman Sound activated hopper. (I will replace this with a Q-Loader directly mounted to the feed neck)
• Alamo City Anti-Chop Bolt with two O-Rings
• Alamo City Lightweight Stryker.
• MR2 Handle and 40mm Red/Green Dot Sight.

The above setup is self contained in that it does not have a remote line nor does it have a tank attached to the bottom of the grip. The tank is the stock and when I get the Q-Loader it will be a lot lower in profile.

This setup is running at LP - 300 PSI @ 275 FTP +/- 5 fps. I get about 250 ~ 300 shots from the 13ci 3000psi tank. I have not had any chops or paint break inside the barrel, I mainly use Scenario X-Bball, Marbleizes, and some pink fill paint from Wal-Mart (only when they get a fresh batch).

#2 – Home mod Low(er) Pressure E-MR1

This one was setup for all out assaults, and is made up with home mod to get a Low(er) Pressure operation.

• E-MR1 with Polished internals – Barrel swab doped with aluminum polish and ran on a bench drill for a few hours.
• Freak Kit with Apex Tip – 14” in total length.
• Stock Spyder Valve bored out to allow a larger volume of air to flow.
• Stock Valve Pin modified to allow more air flow.
• Stock valve spring replaced with the black cone shaped spring that comes in the kit. I was able to use this spring by modifying the MR1 Reservoir Pin. This spring is a lot softer than the stock silver spring.
• Stock gold Spyder Stryker Spring (hardest).
• Stock striker polished to a mirror finish using a buffer and polishing compound.
• Alamo City Anti-Chop bolt with two O-Rings
• Custom made reservoir mounted inside the MR1 mag (4” long, 11/32” bore)
• Eclipse regulator mounted to a Custom Products ASA attached to the stock drop forward. I attached a quick disconnect nipple to the regulator for the remote.
• Remote line and a 45ci 4500psi tank.
• HALLO TSA Frontman hopper.

This setup gives me 400 PSI @ 275 FTP +/- 5 fps.

Those are my two main markers. A lot of people would say I spent a lot of time and money on a marker that’s only $80, but I have it exactly the way I like it for the prepuce they serve.

IMO, if you want to be a sniper, you need to be low profile and quiet. Hence the tank as a stock and low pressure operation. It is very important to have a barrel kit, gives you a lot more choices in paint and allows you to use whatever is available at that time.

I also have an Alamo Low Blow bolt, but I do not use it as it does not give me a on/off option. The APEX allows me to turn it on/off whenever I want to. Having choices is #1!!!

Sorry for the long post I hope there is something here that you can use.

If you would like to see some pictures e-mail me. They are currently in peaces as I am re-polishing internals and replacing O-Rings, but I should have them all back together in a few days – arpphoto@yahoo.com

Thanks

Adam

Snyper
12-11-2008, 04:10 PM
pics? :confused:

ct_painball_warrior
12-12-2008, 05:49 AM
pics? :confused:

Shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you pics - arpphoto@yahoo.com