PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Year Old Paintballs

XSiv Force
01-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Ive been doing paintball for about 1.5 years and i have always bought paintballs either the week of or the day of the match, But i just recently had my birthday on the 11th and i got 4000 rounds but im not planning on playing, that i know of, until march. Does anyone know how to keep them fresh and round?:questionicon: :help: :praying: :thinking:

MVS1
01-18-2008, 04:05 PM
60-75*, moderate humidity and rotate the bags every couple of days. That's ideal

XSiv Force
01-18-2008, 04:09 PM
some one told me to "FREEZE" them but take them out about a week before the game?

VS3 Sniper
01-18-2008, 04:16 PM
U can't freeze paintballs. They have oils in them that prevent that and if u try it would most likely cause ur gun to chop paint or have barrel breaks. I have used 6 month old paint and it has been fine just turn the bags so the balls won't get dimples and keep it within the right temps.

MVS1
01-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Freezing doesn't do anything for extending the shelf life and will more than likely increase the likelihood of having dimples in the balls, keep them in a constant temp range stated above (I usually store excess paint in my garage since it stays in that range) and flip the bags ever 4 or 5 days and they'll be good or quite a while. Drastically cooling the balls in theory makes the shells more brittle.

XSiv Force
01-18-2008, 04:24 PM
ok so i can take them out of the box but leave them in the bag and they would be aight

MVS1
01-18-2008, 04:26 PM
absolutely...and just for future reference, don't ever store your paint in your pods, ends up making your pods smell like a dead skunks ass!

XSiv Force
01-18-2008, 04:28 PM
i knew that even with out doing it

bigred76
01-18-2008, 04:40 PM
What's wrong with that, though? It keeps my brother from jacking my pods. ;)

Yeah, leave 'em in your closet or somewhere where the light wont get to them.

MVS1
01-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Just wanted to make sure because it was one hell of a rude awakin for me the first time I forgot to empty my pods, and there's nothin worse than havin to smell that all day long comin from your loader

XSiv Force
01-18-2008, 04:44 PM
hey What do you suggest as paint I love Monster balls, they have always broken on contact with the other team member, and they dont diverge from their flight path with my gun they dont drop for about 50-75 ft

XSiv Force
01-18-2008, 04:45 PM
just shot one off does not drop for about 50+ yards

Kenny_McCormic
01-18-2008, 04:55 PM
You must have incredible lucky because most monterballs are like hollow rubber balls filled with permanet dye.

XSiv Force
01-18-2008, 04:57 PM
why do you say that the fill comes out in the wash

MVS1
01-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Because usually there CRAP, I have had extremely good results from RPS premium, Green/Silver shell w/green fill is my personal favorite. Relatively cheap rec paint w/good consistency.

XSiv Force
01-18-2008, 05:03 PM
well $30 for 2000 is good for monster balls but ive also got 2000 rounds of stinger what cha think of those

HelpDeskHustler
01-18-2008, 05:09 PM
keep them in a climate controlled area
freezers suck, refrigerators running at about 60* work best if you have one unused.

All of my spare paint is oblong or shriveled because one brand absorbs the small amounts of water from the other brand via the shell somehow

MVS1
01-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Local field uses stinger as field paint and their not bad, they sell them for $35 a case and are definitely better than monster balls. Monster balls have a bad rep b/c Walmart sell's an assload of them and they usually sit in a wharehouse or on the shelf for a very long time.

XSiv Force
01-18-2008, 05:13 PM
this is why i think they have such a bad rep. 1st) walmart has an excess meaning that they takthe ones that have been sitting the longest and place them in the front. 2nd) since you can get them cheap people automatically assume they suck. 3rd) DONT BUY FROM WALMART, I buy mine from Sports Authority, talk to a guy that works in the outdoors section and he will tell you when they get new shipments, or he will give you the brand new case.

SupaSnipa
01-18-2008, 05:42 PM
I know how to solve that whole thing. DON'T BUY MONSTERBALLS, THEY SUCK!!! period. Get some nice RPS, thats what I use, either RPS Marbilizers or Stingers or Premiums. If you play woodsball then I would suggest RECON paint, its scenario paint and is made buy Procaps

XSiv Force
01-18-2008, 05:43 PM
ok i will take that into consideration but i do trust monster balls

bigred76
01-18-2008, 06:22 PM
:yeahthat: I like XBall Bronze when I am not shooting Evil or RPS Premiums (in that order).

XSiv Force
01-18-2008, 06:29 PM
where would you pick those up X-ball Bronzes?

bigred76
01-18-2008, 06:46 PM
A proshop near you should carry them.

XSiv Force
01-18-2008, 07:11 PM
dont have any in auburn,al. the university is the town

VS3 Sniper
01-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Ok its a known fact that Monsterballs suck, so much that most of the fields in Cali have banned them.

XSiv Force
01-18-2008, 08:18 PM
thats cali this is the right coast

MR2 Woodsballer
01-18-2008, 08:39 PM
do you mean east?? and this is a global forum so you need to distinguish where your from/at.

XSiv Force
01-18-2008, 08:42 PM
No offense but it says where i am under join date, thought you saw that, "Right Coast" is basically the same thing for us as "West Coast" is They are Custom Shops is what i mean

vikingshadow
01-19-2008, 05:19 AM
Monster Balls are horrible. The worst paint I've seen, and I've seen some crappy paint. I would take seconds or thirds before using them! Our field is seriously thinking about banning them as well. They're hard as marbles and come with an ugly, waxy fill that if dries on your clothes WILL stain - I have jerseys and tee shirts to prove it (from reffing - not to imply I get hit a lot playing, hahaha!) If you're going to buy paint from Wal-Mart, at least get their better stuff, like Visible Impact (used to be Scorch, I believe.) Most people "trust" Monster balls because they've never used anything else of slightly more quality!

If you have a field that sells paint, buy it from there and support them. One day, the field may not be around because of the lack of support.

some one told me to "FREEZE" them but take them out about a week before the game?
We've been known to shut entire threads down just for mentioning this "fact". It's dangerous, stupid and doesn't work. If' you've actually played "1.5 years" you should know this already. Don't do it. They don't freeze, they do get a bit harder, though the shell gets more brittle. If it actually makes it out of your gun and hits someone, IT WILL HURT THEM.
this is why i think they have such a bad rep. 1st) walmart has an excess meaning that they takthe ones that have been sitting the longest and place them in the front. They don't set in Wal-Mart warehouses any longer than they do in Sport Authority's warehouses, Kmarts warehouses, Kees warehouses or anyone elses. They are a cheap ass paint made only to market to the noob, rec player. Fact, so many people buy paint from Walmart that their warehouses ship it out just as fast as any other supplier.2nd) since you can get them cheap people automatically assume they suck. Not true. These paintballs suck the big barrel. They're cheap because they ARE cheap. Oh, and they suck!3rd) DONT BUY FROM WALMART, I buy mine from Sports Authority, talk to a guy that works in the outdoors section and he will tell you when they get new shipments, or he will give you the brand new case.So, how is this any different than Wal-Mart? I hate Wal-Mart with a passion, but in the local stores the paint disappears off the shelf pretty quickly. You mistake new in STORE with new in WAREHOUSE.

In red...

Kenny_McCormic
01-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Visible Impact, in my experience turns HP spyders into blenders. If your gun can handle it the only problem is there is usually broken paint in the bags so you must clean them before using them (this might have been part of my blending problem, i didnt clean them off). For $38 a case if your gun can handle it and you dont mind spending half an hour and some towels cleaning them, VI is the BEST paint you can get at walmart.

battlechaser
01-19-2008, 07:12 AM
I think I'd order a box from the States before I bought Wally World paint. Then again, I live within 1/2 an hour of about 6+ different proshops.

XSiv Force
01-19-2008, 08:35 AM
The field paint that we have at Nitro is like shooting a lead ball out of your gun, it wont brek on contact with the person, and they bounce like a super ball, I guess ive gotten lucky then because mine have always broken on the person

LostCause
01-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Visible Impact, in my experience turns HP spyders into blenders. If your gun can handle it the only problem is there is usually broken paint in the bags so you must clean them before using them (this might have been part of my blending problem, i didnt clean them off). For $38 a case if your gun can handle it and you dont mind spending half an hour and some towels cleaning them, VI is the BEST paint you can get at walmart.
thats funny, i never have had a problem with that paint before, and mines always broke (used about 3 boxes of Visible Impact) and i have never had dimples or broken paint....

Though White box paint i have had dimples...though it shot great

vikingshadow
01-19-2008, 09:13 AM
I never had problem with VI (actually Scorch back when I used it.) Always round, flies straight, high colored fill, no dimples. Shot great out of all guns I used it in, including my Phantom. A lot of the rec players show up with it, and it still seems to work fine.

As far as the ball breakage in the bags - I never had a single problem opening the cases at Wal-Mart and looking first. If there's a bag that had broken paint in it, I switched it for another one. If they complained, I just told them that I wasn't buying broken paint. You'd be surprised what you can get away with in Wal-Mart!

tater_salad
01-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Every now and then they have X-Ball Bronze at my Wal-Mart so I take advantage of that and buy every case they have which is usually 3 or so.

XSiv Force
01-19-2008, 10:17 AM
I found some balls that ive had for going on 5 months, but they dont have any dimples at ALL. I dont know what brand they are. They are kind of purple with a white fill. Full purple, do you know what they are.

paintballkid0206
01-19-2008, 10:17 AM
hey What do you suggest as paint I love Monster balls, they have always broken on contact with the other team member, and they dont diverge from their flight path with my gun they dont drop for about 50-75 ft

i bunkered a guy with monsterballs and eveen from a couple feet away, they didnt break he shot back and hit me twice. I use DXS white box paint. It's the same price as Monster Balls and are WAY better. If you have more money, get DXS bronze, silver or gold. Those are AWESOME.

XSiv Force
01-19-2008, 10:28 AM
There is also some that are half blue half purple any ideas?

tater_salad
01-19-2008, 10:33 AM
There is also some that are half blue half purple any ideas?
Spank is half blue half purple.

Sonix_Nub3
01-19-2008, 10:34 AM
are zap paints (practice paint, stingers) any good from ****s sporting goods? theyre half a case for 17 and a case for 30...? anyone know?

vikingshadow
01-19-2008, 11:01 AM
You can't tell what paint is what as all companies tend to have the same color variations. It would be better if you showed us a picture and told us where you got them from.

Sonix - that old saying, "You get what you pay for" is true in paintball. At least as far as paint goes. Stinger, in my experience, is good for field grade rec paint, but not that great. Other people are obviously going to have different experiences, both better and worse, so my suggestion is to just try it and see what you think.

Sonix_Nub3
01-19-2008, 11:14 AM
alright thanks man. i have used stingers, but only thing ive ever used is cheap paint.. so maybe once day ill pay 60 for a case of marbs just to see what the huge diff is ;D

XSiv Force
01-19-2008, 12:16 PM
what cha think of those no one has said anything bout those yet, when i used them i thought they were a little tough to break

XSiv Force
01-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Please use the "edit" feature under each post to edit your posts. There's no need to make a new post each time you have a random thought...

Thank you, the Mod Squad!

lxm
01-19-2008, 11:16 PM
if you buy wally world paint get vis impact or recon they work fine for me and havent had any bad balls =D i stock sporting goods there once a week =(

MR2 Woodsballer
01-20-2008, 01:51 AM
It all depends on the area and shop and what they happen to carry. To quote Viking shadow you do get what you pay for. I have used RPS Marballizer and have never been disapointed by it. I have also shot DXS Rec Sport and been just as happy with it as i was with DXS Silver. It just all depends on how old the paint is if it was rotated ect. I have shot tons of varites of paint each is a lil different from the next. If you buy a $70 box of Marballizer and had bad results you might have gotten a bad batch. Give it another try (it is professional grade paint so you should get great results if it was fresh) and don't be ashamed to ask how old the paint is. 99% of shops will have no problem telling you. Some stores move alot of paint quickly some don't. I used to work at a store/field, and one week we would sell 30-50 cases easly. (some times we would sell our whole inventory of paint in less than a week) Other times it would sit for a week or 2 before you even notice a difference in the pymarid of cases laying around the shop.

alabama_lowlife
01-20-2008, 05:38 AM
my personal experience with monster balls is that they won't chop.....or break at all for that matter lol. we stopped using them when we play woodsball because we had 4 or 5 people using it one day and we were nailing people and it wasn't breaking. then we'd shoot a tree and several of them would bounce off the tree. i've had good experiences with RPS big balls and JT tactical. both from walmart. we keep planning on getting several of us to order a pallet of good stuff, we just haven't done it yet.

XSiv Force, if you feel like a small road trip you can ride down here and use that paint. we're a little south of Troy and we play every other weekend, we're always looking for a couple more players.

strick04
01-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Yes we need to do that Low. I remember we banned Monster Balls. Here's my experience recently with some different paint.

Monster balls: bad (hard, don't break)
Stryke: bad (broke to easy [as in the barrel])
Visible Impact: good (nice fill, round[some dimples])
RPS Big Ball: good (ok fill, round[pretty much], a few bounces[not to many])
Stinger: OK (didn't shoot alot. seemed to have more barrel breaks than normal)
DBX: good (I've apparenty had better luck with these than some. Round, little or no dimple, shoot fairly straight.)
Evil: very good (actually only shot about a half a case. I can't say it's worth twice as much as some of the other paint but it's pretty good. shoots straight, little or no seam, round, no dimples that I noticed.

Anyway that's some of the different types I've shot recently. Pretty much it's hard to go wrong with any of middle/upper end paints from Nelson, RPS, and so on. I'd say if wal mart is your only choice then Visibles or Big Balls. If you have a ****'s around then I'd say try some DBX's. If anything you can use that ammo case they come in:D . Don't forget to open and check the paint before you buy it. Usually you can take it up to the desk and they'll open it for you. Again this is only my experience/opinion so take it as you will.

XSiv Force
01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
What about Black Label?