PDA

View Full Version : MR3 project

artillerist90
01-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Well, it's taken a good long time to get this thing together and there's still a few minor details that I need to tweak.

Spyder MR3
custom mounted Qloader
SO Commando stock (air-thru capable)
16" Stiffi
Tactedge(Leapers) red/green dot sight

Not Pictured:
Coiled remote
Guerilla Air HPA
etc.

sorry in advance to all of you dial-up kids out there

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg19/artillerist90/MR3/IMG_0047.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg19/artillerist90/MR3/IMG_0046.jpg

UPDATE: 1/20/08
Straightened out that feed hose with some elbows. Though the mock suppressor looks cool(at least I like it), it's solid aluminum to comply with federal regulations and thus weighs about 1 pound, bringing the total gun weight to around 8 or 9 pounds. :( I might have to get in shape just to effectively operate this tank of an MR3. Ahh the drawbacks...I knew I would run into them somewhere along the way. The flux grips are infinitely more comfortable than the stock ones...thanks for the suggestion guys...didn't know Spyder made MR grips.

I'm thinking a Phantom for my next gun; something quiet, accurate, AND lightweight. BUT unless I can pick one up while I still have money over the summer, thats a looooong way off because nobody tends to have spare cash for paintball when they go to college.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg19/artillerist90/MR3/IMG_0041.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg19/artillerist90/MR3/IMG_0042.jpg

UPDATE 4/20/08: Even more compact?....

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg19/artillerist90/MR3/IMG_0082.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg19/artillerist90/MR3/IMG_0084.jpg

interceptorMR2
01-12-2008, 07:11 AM
hey I see you use the special ops commando stock, i love mine, i think for your mr3 it really adds that "sniper" look with the scope, idk maybe its just me but I love how mean the gun looks when I use this stock.

Critical
01-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Looks very nice! Any trouble with that wierd kink in the QLoader hose? It looks like it would pinch the balls.

mr1 sniper
01-12-2008, 08:21 AM
and what parts did you need for hooking up the qloader

deano 177
01-12-2008, 09:15 AM
That looks really good. I wonder when they will make a marker that has left/right/center feed neck capability. Seems like the manufactures could design the whole front part of the marker on these milsims to be switchable like that.... the reason would be for left and right handed peeps. I would rather see the tube on the left for changing as I am a rightee. But if you do it that way with this marker the flex hose would be in the way of the scope.

artillerist90
01-12-2008, 05:25 PM
-Yeah the stock defenitely completes the look on these MR's. I was kinda going for an SR-25 look. I'm glad I got it.

-The Qloader hose doesn't actually make that bad of a turn right there. I think the angle of the photo makes it look like a problem though. Eventually, I will be getting some 90 degree elbows from the Qloader store so I can just run the hose straight back to the feed without any crazy turns.

-I actually learned how to mount the Qloader like that from SpyderBanger on the Qloader Forum (He's also on this forum). The MR3 shroud is particularly long so there was room to drill into it without hitting anything important. You'll have to buy the Qloader Custom Mount Kit (they've got all of this stuff in their online store). That kit comes with a straight bracket. I bent that bracket 90 degrees and bolted it on the shroud after drilling some holes to anchor it on there. Obviously, this is not recommended by our friends at Qloader but if you have the time and the tools, it's a great way to get it on the gun securely. There are easier ways to put it on there but I liked how this one looked.

-I think it's easier to have your strong arm on the same side as the loader. I dunno, but it seems like it would be funky trying to change pods with my left hand. I'm also a righty. If you are a lefty, then you might consider an under-barrel mount (not sure how that would work but anything's possible).

As for future changes, I might try to run that air-thru some day. I just ordered a supressor/barrel combo for a more condensed, assault gun when the field doesn't suit the sniper.
I also would really like the saw off the part of the foregrip that drops down and replace it with a straight mag. That or fit a straight mag over it. Anyone have any ideas on this?

SpyderMan723
01-12-2008, 06:44 PM
dude you neeeed some of those MR grips from AVI.
Got mine the other day and they feel so much better than the stock crappy ones
btw very nice setup,if you want to make things easier you could always just cut the hose a little to prevent the bend and possibly feed faster

interceptorMR2
01-13-2008, 07:13 AM
yeah i think you got the SR-25 look down, you should look for a mag kit to put on that thing, i heard Rap4 is coming out with an M16 mag kit for MR2 soon (at least thats what i got in an email from one of their reps)

hongkongcavaliers
01-17-2008, 08:47 AM
I've been eyeing the SpecOps Commando stock for awhile now--

With the cutout portion, can you really see the stock sight with your mask on?

The other thing, does the commando stock feel more secure than the original stock? I was not impressed with the "stock" stock at all. Couldn't see the sights, and flismy as hell -- had to tighten it a couple times a day while playing...

I just got my MR Flux Wraparound grips this week. Much better than the stock ones, but still not perfect. I like the look, but I wished I would have bought Dye Stickies instead. They felt a lot better , but don't look as milsim.

hongkongcavaliers
01-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Another couple questions about the Commando Stock--

Is there anywhere to attach a sling mount?

I've never drilled into glass reinforced plastic-- do you think a wood screw sling mount will hold?

Also, how do you get to the RVA?

Does the stock mount with only the side screw for the old stock?

artillerist90
01-17-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm going to go ahead and number my answers so you can match them up.

1) Funny thing...i don't have a mask yet. When I sold my old paintball gear, I sold EVERYTHING because it was all very cheap and on it's last leg. I should be getting one in tommorrow so I'll let you know. I'm thinking I'm going to need a sight riser but who knows.

2) Yes the commando stock is MUCH sturdier than the standard one. I'll explain in the later anwers.

3-4) Unfortunately, no you probably aren't going to be able to put sling ring on there anywhere...the plastic, while strong, just isn't thick enough to give you the anchor that you'll need for a sling.

5) The RVA is covered by the stock adapter(that black, metal, block between the plastic portion of the stock and the gun). However, it fits snugly over the RVA and gives the stock added stability. You'll probably need to keep the stock off before a game to dial yourself in at the right fps and then put the stock back on. It doesn't take long at all to take the stock off.

6) Yes, it uses the same hole and screw on the right side of the gun that the orignal stock did. The plug to fit inside the top tube was designed to fit a little better than the original so it's not near as wobbly.

Overall the stock is a good buy. Once you tighten everything down, it stays that way.

wujersey1
01-17-2008, 05:05 PM
awesome man thanks for answering all the questions i never got to ask about the stock! lol The stock and a new barrel are my next planned upgrades. Also judging by your previous comments it seems as if you are happy with that stiffi barrel, correct?

artillerist90
01-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Yup. It's the quietest barrel I've had. Haven't had a chance to get a feel for its accuracy yet.
You will have to grind about a millimeter off the metal base to get it to fit the shroud though. If you want more info, I made an earlier thread about it.

newkid
01-17-2008, 05:45 PM
looks good. get black stickies

hongkongcavaliers
01-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Art--

Have you gotten a chance to put on the goggles to check the sight?

artillerist90
01-24-2008, 05:05 PM
They STILL haven't gotten here yet. They told me that they were going to be shipped separately from the rest of that order so when the other items came in last Friday, I wasn't surprised that the goggles weren't there. I did email them though to figure out just why they had been shipped separately. Maybe they were waiting on some to come in.

Sorry. I promise I'll let you know as soon as they get in.

wujersey1
01-24-2008, 09:05 PM
have you had a chance to test out the suppressor barrel combo yet? just wondering how accurate it is. I love the look btw. did you have to modify anything to fit shroud? what sites offer these?

AgentMongoose
01-25-2008, 03:49 AM
FREAKING AWSOME!
Vary nice work... the only thing i don't like is that i didn't think to attach my Q loader to my shroud first.

*edit*
we have almost identical setups except I have the rap4 double threaded rifles barrel. 16''- I freakin love it.

artillerist90
01-25-2008, 05:34 PM
No I haven't had the chance to test it yet. It's 8 inches, rifled, but has no porting. I'm expecting it to be pretty loud and fairly accurate. I'll let you know. RAP4 makes a whole bunch of barrels for the MR line, most of them with straight rifling. Their tactical barrels come with fine threads on the end for mock suppressors/muzzle brakes. Make sure that it notes that the product is for the MR2/3 before you order though.

I actually have the 16" double-threaded/rifled as well and it's just about as quiet as the stiffi. I'm impressed with it but mine has a glossy finish that I could do without.

AgentMongoose
01-26-2008, 03:00 PM
would you mind uploading pics of where the holes are drilled and the "modifided" mounting bracket thingy you bent to form.

Ace24
01-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Looks like we have another Milsim for the next SOTM!!! Hehe. Looking good! Simple, yet aggressive.

Is that a real silencer?

artillerist90
01-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Agent, here are the pics. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure the bracket came bent at a 90deg (it comes with one of the Qloader mounting systems). I did however bend it a little on the side that runs along the shroud so that it would fit the contour a little better.
Hope this helps.

Ace, no it's not real. It's solid aluminum. Looks cool, but weighs a ton.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg19/artillerist90/MR3/IMG_0041-1.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg19/artillerist90/MR3/IMG_0042-1.jpg

AgentMongoose
01-26-2008, 10:30 PM
thanks man... I gotta get muh drill out now.

red_october86
02-11-2008, 05:18 AM
Hey.
That's a really neat set up for the Qloader. Have you noticed any problems having the Qloader mounted in that manner? Does it feel very sturdy bolted that way? How did you end up anchoring the screws? It's gotta be really hard, if you're trying to get nuts inside of that little recess in the shroud.

artillerist90
02-11-2008, 10:06 AM
It's very sturdy and doesn't actually use nuts inside the gun. I was able to make my own threads in the metal gun shroud itself to fit those bolts. It's kinda hard to get the bolts cranked in there the first time but you can with some oil. I think they make thread-tapping screws as well so you might look for those to make it a little easier.

red_october86
02-11-2008, 10:49 AM
I see. that makes sense. I want to try to emulate your Qloader set-up, because of the configs I've seen so far, yours seems to not only be the most efficient and sturdy, but also just seems to make sense as far as weight distribution and stuff.

So thanks a lot, and kudos to you and SpyderBanger for the ingenuity.

bassmasta
02-25-2008, 04:51 AM
how did you connect the 90 degree elbow to the loading socket? I ask because I plan on doing something simmilar with the sideplates on my MR2

artillerist90
02-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Ghetto style. I wrapped some black electrical tape around that black nozzle that comes directly out of the socket a couple of times until it was a big enough diameter to give the elbow clamp something the grab onto. It seems to work well enough for now. I wasn't going to risk ruining the low profile for some obscure 20$ adapter. You might also have to cut away a small amount of the clear plastic portion of the socket to allow the elbow clamp to slide down far enough on the nozzle to grab.

I'll have to figure something else out later but this works for now.

AgentMongoose
02-29-2008, 01:05 AM
though I think your setup is great I decided I did not not want to damage my shroud so i came up with an alternate way of mounting a qloader to the shroud.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n3/AgentMongoose/049dsc_0082.jpg
I replaced the front screw with a bolt twice as long, added a few washers for a nice snug fit so not i have a well balanced ambidextrous MR3 with front grip :P

spyderbanger
04-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Arty you've been a busy boy modding and answering questions. Thanks for the props. My MR3 is all done. I haven't thought of anymore mods, as of yet. I will post it soon. You are going to crap yourself.