PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know anything about the US military?

badlandsrox
01-11-2008, 05:23 PM
does anyone know if it still possible for canadians to join the US airforce. what the pay is like, openings in the piloting area (more particularly fighter pilots), requirements to join, etc?

Critical
01-11-2008, 05:39 PM
From a quick search on Google, it looks like you are still able to join the U.S. military. As far as pay, I have no idea. For piloting, it's probably like everything else, they need to be looking for pilots at the same time you are looking to be one, in the same place.

battlechaser
01-11-2008, 06:37 PM
What, our rusty F-18s aren't good enough for you? ;)

badlandsrox
01-11-2008, 07:22 PM
What, our rusty F-18s aren't good enough for you? ;)

haha, personally... much rather join the canadian forces, however, we only have 98 cf-18's, the sea kings just got extended 2 years onto their already overdue life (as the minister of the DnD said, canada is world class in extending life of military equiptment:p) and the only other things we have are auroras (OLD) and some other things, however their just as old (well we do have x-35 options for 2012), and if youve watched jetstream, about only 3 spots per year to get into the cf-18 program.

LostCause
01-11-2008, 07:24 PM
yes, but you need a college degree to e a piolt, so if you have that then you will be allowed

MVS1
01-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Pm me, I'm in the Air Force and one of my troops is a Canadian Citizen so I can get you two talking and he can give you more info. As for being a pilot, it is a very selective process and w/o a degree you don't have a chance.

badlandsrox
01-11-2008, 07:48 PM
do they have anything like the canadian military, where they will allow you to take a degree by correspondance, and directly enter the force?

MVS1
01-11-2008, 08:06 PM
For that kind of information you really need to talk to an Air Force recruiter, of which I am not. I know this however, ifyou want to enlist, as long as you have a High School Diploma or equivalent you qualify. If you are looking for a comission (become an Officer, which is what you will need to be a pilot) then you will be required to have a Bachelors Degree from an Accredited University/College. I can tell you this, the USAF is not hurting for Pilot Candidates and it is an extremely competetive field to get into. Your credentials need to be very impressive to help you stand-out against the crowd.

badlandsrox
01-11-2008, 08:56 PM
For that kind of information you really need to talk to an Air Force recruiter, of which I am not. I know this however, ifyou want to enlist, as long as you have a High School Diploma or equivalent you qualify. If you are looking for a comission (become an Officer, which is what you will need to be a pilot) then you will be required to have a Bachelors Degree from an Accredited University/College. I can tell you this, the USAF is not hurting for Pilot Candidates and it is an extremely competetive field to get into. Your credentials need to be very impressive to help you stand-out against the crowd.

hmm, what kinda credentials you talking? aside from a degree?
would already having a pilots liscense, as well as being in the top 0.50% of the country in general sciences be good creds?

big_daddy_d
01-13-2008, 09:28 AM
I think you need to be an officer to be a pilot. And that entails having a degree of some sort.

DFSniper
01-13-2008, 07:00 PM
does anyone know if it still possible for canadians to join the US airforce. yes. but from what ive been told, theres a time limit if you dont have american citizenship. so if you dont have american citizenship by, i want to say 10 years, you have to get out.what the pay is like, better than the army! my mom dragged me to the recruiter last week to "consider my options." google "us air force base pay charts"openings in the piloting area (more particularly fighter pilots),must be an officer, therefore you MUST be a US citizen and have a bachelors degree requirements to join, etc?all the requirements should be listed on the air force website. you have to meet certain height/weight requirements, a VERY detailed physical (if you tell the recruiter that you've never been on drugs, and at the physical you tell the doctors that you took asprin, they'll disqualify you for having migranes), and some more stuff that i cant think of off the top of my head.
check out www.airforce.com