PDA

View Full Version : HPA tanks comparision

biofish
01-10-2008, 04:31 AM
Switching to compressed air for my MR1 and I am having trouble determining the different variety of tanks out there. On the high end i can get a $200 setup and the low end is $60. Should I be paying attention to certain features and ignoring others?.
I want to make sure I am informed since i will pretty much be carrying a bomb on my back.

kramernator
01-10-2008, 04:37 AM
well, you should calculate the weight of the tanks, and depending on what kind of game you play, you should also calculate the # of shots you can get in a tank, i used to know a chart with this info on it, i will look for it & post back later

Jegger24
01-10-2008, 04:57 AM
If you can afford a carbon fiber tank, I'd say go for it! The weight difference is incredible! I had a "low end" steel tank at first... I didn't keep it long - but then again it was an on-marker tank. If you can try out some at your local field before you buy, that might be your best bet. It all comes down to personal preference.

Here is a paintball shot calculator... by no means is it exact, but you can kind of get an idea of what kind of shot count you could get...

http://www.scubatoys.com/paintball/paintballshots.asp

Erlkonig
01-10-2008, 05:12 AM
The big things to know are that the steel tanks are quite a bit heavier. On average they appear to be roughly twice as heavy as a 20oz CO2 tank. The fiber wrapped tanks are a fair bit lighter and are typically rated for more pressure but they cost quite a bit more. I am guessing the $60 tank you saw was a steel ~48ci tank rated for 3000psi.

The way to figure out the rough number of shots you will get out of a tank is as follows:

For a tank rated at 3000psi, you multiply the volume of the tank by 10. So as an example using the steel tank mentioned above you would take the tank volume (48ci) X 10 for a total tank capacity of ~480 shots. This is a rough number as the number of shots will vary depending upon your marker setup and it's gas usage.

For a tank rated at 4500psi, you would multiply the volume by 15. So if you had a 45/4500psi rated tank it would be 45 X 15= ~675 shots.

Sizes vary from 14ci all the way up to I think 114ci for 4500psi tank and I am not sure about the sizes for 3000psi, but those can be found readily enough ;-)

Before buying a tank I would certainly check reviews and talk to people you know who have them to see what their experiences have been. I know Crossfire makes a good tank, but their regulators are pretty heavy. So it will depend upon your preference. Any other info you want feel free to ask =)

Thricearch
01-10-2008, 07:47 AM
what are you guys using to convert to LP..any good kits?