PDA

View Full Version : spyder barrels

SpyderMan231
01-08-2008, 02:52 PM
hey fellas, 5 or 6 or 7 years ago i played using a spyder elite, wich i loved, i went on to a automag, witch i love, then to an autococker wich i love but its a little unpracticle for me. so im goin back with spyder. MR1 that is. i have a few quetions. i have a great 16 inch smart parts all american, have the spyder barrel grooves changed over the years? also when im looking for a new bolt. what do i need to look for ( fitting MR1) b/c now a days there are many more spyders out there it seams

stil
01-09-2008, 02:13 AM
The MR1 uses the standard spyder thread (afaik) I'm currently waiting on an ACP 'Flatline' bolt - to be paired with a delrin sleeved striker.

The MR1 doesn't seemr to benefit from much variety when choosing a new bolt (unless you're willing to modify?) Look for top-cocking bolts that match the same bolt/striker arrangement as the MR1.

*edit* bolts for the MR1 MUST have the right hand groove for the detent...

SpyderMan231
01-10-2008, 09:31 AM
ok cool, thanks man. i plan on ordering my MR1 soon. looking foward to it

Mattbur
01-12-2008, 04:00 PM
The local shop is telling me thatthe MR 1 does not do well with anything more than a 16" barrel do to the wear on the springs. Is this true? I am in the process of lookin into a new barrel, and am trying to decide what barrel i want.

deano 177
01-12-2008, 04:29 PM
The local shop is telling me thatthe MR 1 does not do well with anything more than a 16" barrel do to the wear on the springs. Is this true? I am in the process of lookin into a new barrel, and am trying to decide what barrel i want.

I think that if you go longer it may require more air and as a result of this makes the striker hit the release valve harder. However, I can't see this making that much of a difference. Mine was shooting 346fps right out of the box. I couldn't get it down below 300 fps with the stock spring so mine is changed any way. The spring will break in over time so you will need to check your marker speed every time you play. You should do this any way because when you put a new co2 on it may shoot harder.

SpyderMan231
01-14-2008, 05:53 PM
why would it take more air? i would think the gun outputs the same amount of air each time you fire. the air chamber can only hold so much air right?

deano 177
01-14-2008, 06:08 PM
why would it take more air? i would think the gun outputs the same amount of air each time you fire. the air chamber can only hold so much air right?

Yes that is true, sort of. But if you think about it, the extra resistance that the longer barrel will have on the ball should slow it down. So if you changed to a longer barrel without turning up the fps you should, in theory, shoot slower. You will need to increase the amount of air that is let out per shot to achieve the same amount of fps...

But, if you are upgrading from stock the new barrel may have less resistance even though it is longer. Confused yet?:D When I went from the stock 12" to the j&j 14" I actually shot hotter. I guess the higher quality barrel had less resistence. I went from the 280's to the 310's.

SpyderMan231
01-14-2008, 06:17 PM
very good point. both of them. i geuss we will have to wait and see how well my
all american will shoot. it is incredibly smooth and shiney in the barrel.

funny thing is i wont know if the all american shoots better b/c as soon as i get the mr1, its goin on! i wont have any thing to compare it too unless i do shoot the stock barrel..

motokid351
01-19-2008, 06:54 PM
is the J&J 14" accurate to be a good upgrade for a sniping barrel. i need an upgrade.

motokid351
01-21-2008, 06:25 PM
can you buy an apex barrel, take off the tip and put it on a nother barrel. for example, could i get the tip98 apex, take it off the barrel, put it on a J&J ceramic barrel and use it with my MR1?