PDA

View Full Version : regular maintenance

ath
02-14-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm an extreme newbee - please be patient. I am trying to perform some maintenance on my TL-R marker because the last time I used it (only the 3rd time ever), I had three major chops (had to remove the hopper and clean everything). I'm not sure why, but I thought i'd start with oiling the venturi bolt & striker bolt o-rings. so, i'm disassembling per instructions, but i can't figure out how to remove the cocking know? It doesn't just pull off...doesn't seem to screw off. I confused. I'm using a CO2 that was freshly recharged and worked great the first couple times I used it (also, replaced the o-ring on the CO2). Not sure why i'm getting the sudden chopping problem. Maybe I should consider an ACS upgrade???

shunut
02-14-2006, 08:01 AM
First of all welcome to the forum. You won't find a better group that is more willing to help anywhere on the net.

Now, the top cocking knob should just pop out by pulling straight up on it. Sometimes they get stuck so you just have to use a little force. Maybe get somebody bigger and/or stronger than you to give it a try. If worst comes to worst you can try using something to pry it off but I don't recommend it.

The chopping problem could be a number of things, bad paint, blowback or maybe a detent problem to name a few. The ACS is a great upgrade, as long as you correctly break it in before you use it with paint. Hope that I've helped a little and feel free to ask as many questions as you like. We all started out somewhere, despite what others may say none of us new everything about paintball the first day we picked up a marker.

ad0131065
02-14-2006, 08:06 AM
Chopping is prob b/c of you outshootin your hopper. To help prevent chopping you could get the ACS or a electronic hopper like a revvy. The cocking pin should just pull out, I'm not sure why it wouldn't.

And welcome to the forums.

ath
02-14-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. These formums are incredible! You guys bring up things that I've never imagined (my job involves technology and I never thought there was soooo much technology with this sport! This is great...I just have so much to learn!). I will investigate what you mean by the blowback or detent problem (not sure what these mean). But, as far as getting someone bigger and stronger, I get I have to find someone taller than 5'11" (185 lbs) :-) I'll pull harder...I really didn't think it would take that much force to pull this think out - maybe I should use plyers.

shunut
02-14-2006, 08:30 AM
LOL, yeah the bigger stronger thing was just a suggestion, didn't know how big you were. What ad0131065 is probably your problem, I didn't think of that. Detents are the thing on the side of your marker that keeps the paintball in the breech so all your paint doesn't just roll right out of your gun.

adriann222
02-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah if you had a paint ball break to the point of paint going into your loader that means:

1- you chopped a ball that didn't load all the way
solution: get a faster hopper or ACS bolt

2- when you marker fired air came back around the bolt and blew paint up into your loader.
solution: check the rubber ring on your bolt it may be old. If you don't have a rubber ring (o-ring) on your bolt...time to get one that does (like an ACS bolt)

3. the pull pin
solution- drop some lube down where the pin meets the bolt (not where you grab it though). wrap the teeth of a set of vice grips in electrical tape. then lock them on that bad boy and pull like heck.

4. Detent- that is the little thing in the breach of your marker that prevents more than one ball loading at a time. If you just got your marker and it was new when you bought it, this should not be an issue. If you got it used you can buy new ones for like $5 depending on the type of spyder you use.

Oh and on a general note- you should break down your marker after every time you play to oil the orings and stuff so that it will last ya.

BallerX
02-15-2006, 05:27 AM
I would look into the out shooting the hopper as well. Also, make sure those were chops, and not barrel breaks. If your paint is too large of a bore size for the barrel's bore, then your paint will break in the barrel often. Just another option to take a look at.

And for reference, barrel bore sizes:
http://www.ottersccustoms.com/barrelc.html

...and paint sizes:
http://www.ottersccustoms.com/paintc.html

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

ath
02-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Again, the help on this site has been great! I was finally able to pull the cocking knob out. As was suggested, it just required a little more force. When I pulled the venturi bolt out of the receiver, I noticed it has some paint (from previous breaks) on it. I don't think my previous cleaning (without removing these parts) was thorough enough...maybe this was causing the chopping. I will check the items that were mentioned previously...thanks!

Also, I'm using a new Spyder TL-R marker (I understand this is very close to the TL-X); do you think the ACS upgrade would be worth it? I mean, does it significantly reduce chopping? Or, should I invest in an electronic hopper? Or, how about going with HPA vs. CO2? Just wondering what everyones opinion/experience is on these upgrades? This sport is so fun I hate to get out there and be bothered by problems with my marker.

BallerX
02-15-2006, 10:38 AM
I would reccomend the electronic hopper before I would reccomend the ACS Bolt. The electronic hopper should assist with your feed rate problems, and eliminate most of your chops.

gailon24
02-15-2006, 11:07 AM
yeah, grab an agitating hopper, non-stock barrel, HPA, then think about bolt, was the order I made my improvements.

In the mean time you can always polish your bolt and make sure it's oiled correctly, that might help it slide down the stock if you're really worried about it.

TheRedBarron
02-15-2006, 11:08 AM
...maybe this was causing the chopping. I will check the items that were mentioned previously...thanks!

Yes having paint in the breech of the marker can cause more chops and barrel breaks. it can really create a mess, just make sure you clean it out after everytime you play and you should be all set. also make sure you are shooting only 300 fps or less, having your velocity too high can cause breaks too.

...Also, I'm using a new Spyder TL-R marker (I understand this is very close to the TL-X); do you think the ACS upgrade would be worth it? I mean, does it significantly reduce chopping? Or, should I invest in an electronic hopper? Or, how about going with HPA vs. CO2? Just wondering what everyones opinion/experience is on these upgrades? This sport is so fun I hate to get out there and be bothered by problems with my marker.

Yes the TLR is similiar to the TLX. As for the ACS upgrade I would buy a decent electronic hopper first, then if you are still having ball break problems I would suggest the ACS.

HPA over co2 is an excellent choice, if you have the money I would definatly get a decent HPA tank. the fellas here can tell you which ones to get I wont get into that. HPA is constantly a Gas, Co2 changes from liquid to gas state constantly, these changes create a unstable pressure thus causing your marker to "spike" or drastically increase in velocity. HPA does not have these "spikes" and if regulated it an even mor consistant.

Another very csteffective upgrade for a mechanical spyder is a E frame, they wil run you anywhere from 40 to 70 bucks but this shortens the trigger pull to be almost non existant, and it lightens the trigger pull to about 250 G instead of what you have now, it also gives you a faster rate of fire then you could ever expect out of a mech.

And I forgot one last thing.

Welcome to the family. :wave:

adriann222
02-15-2006, 02:46 PM
I agree with these guys. Upgrade order should be:
1. Barrel
2. Loader
3. HPA or antisyphon your CO2 tank
4. then go crazy with the upgrades (regulators, bolts, valves, drops, ect...)

ooglieboogliebob
02-15-2006, 03:16 PM
you should also add a clamping feedneck to that list, since the regular feednecks that require elbows break often.