PDA

View Full Version : Dry firing????

bakseetdrivr
01-07-2008, 06:16 PM
i read somewhere that dry fireing is bad for the imagine.. is this true? and if so please describe what dry firing is lol im a bit of a newby. i am guessing that it is when you cock it with no air attached and then fire?

any information is greatly appreciated

p.s. im going to post a vid of how to field strip and clean as a newbie's guide

kramernator
01-08-2008, 06:03 AM
dry firing is when you shoot the gun without a paintball in it, with air attached

dry firing is..... "not good" for any gun, i say not good because dry firing will not totally destroy your gun, but it may cause damage to some parts like the bolt.

the reason for this is because when the bolt is released (when you shoot) the bolt has energy in it, if there is not paintball in the gun then the energy has nowhere to go, when there is a paintball the energy from the bolt is transfered from the bolt into the paintball.

Some people say that when you unplug your co2 (i assume that is what you are using) you should (without a paintball in the gun) shoot while unscrewing it. aka dry fire while unscrewing, i don't do this, i just unscrew the tank as fast as possible and i haven't had any problems yet.

bakseetdrivr
01-09-2008, 01:01 PM
thanks alot but just to clairfy, if my gun has no air (CO2 or HPA), bolt cocked, board turned on, and paint in barrel, could it damage the gun(bolt) by firing?

vikingshadow
01-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Interesting theory, Kramernator...never heard it before, but I don't agree with it. Assuming you're doing it with air on, dry firing, while not the best thing to do, will not hurt your gun. I've shot thousands and thousands of dry fires over several years and not a thing has gone wrong.

Be aware though. You WILL go through air faster, and don't point the gun down (if using Co2) as it will get in the gun. Also, don't point it at anyone while dry firing because it can still hurt them. Also, there are SOME guns that you can ruin detents on by dryfiring a lot.

Now, on your clarification, if you have no air on, you don't need to have your bolt cocked to click the microswitch - you aren't really dry firing, just tripping the solenoid. Also, unless your gun has eyes, you don't need to have paint in the breach either. On this, your solenoid and microswitch does have a expiration period. After so many trips, it will wear out (although it's a very high number!) You don't have to worry about it as everyone does it...

kramernator
01-09-2008, 02:43 PM
yes, i suppose you are right, its just that i also shoot bow (2006 HOYT Trykon) and i know if you shoot a bow without an arrow it can really mess up you bow, by friend had his limbs (the parts that bend when you draw back the bow) literally explode when he dryfired.

vikingshadow
01-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Yes, I understand what you're saying. However, a paintball gun =/= a bow. A bow has a constant pressure on it, exerted by the string, or whatever it's called. A paintball gun doesn't have that kind of pressure, and it's made of a different material, and it's not going to "literally" explode from dry firing. Trust me! I'm you're friendly neighborhood viking!

Like I said, about the only things that can go wrong is ruining your detents, but not really on a Spyder. You can wear out your microswitch and possibly your solenoid, but not for a very long time.