PDA

View Full Version : PSP ROF... or other?

HelpDeskHustler
01-07-2008, 03:26 PM
So, as many of you know, PSP lowered it's rate of fire from 15.4bps z-burst(PSP) to 13.3bps z-burst(PSP). Many have claimed this is good for the sport of paintball as it will encourage movement, and decrease the wear on paint companies who sponsor teams.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and I think I would tend to agree that this motion towards slower limits is good, but even though I am in agreement, I also share the feelings those opposing this change, because I think that fast markers lend themselves well to the fast paced sport. The contradiction inside of me has built, and I think a solution could be made that would make both sides happy.

This solution? 7.5bps. Yes, a lower speed; but unlike any other speed, this isn't just for one second. This would be the average speed that a player must stay under within a 6 second window, the rest of the mode is at their discretion, except for a few rules on the matter. For example, you begin to fire your marker, programmed on the board is a timer, which will only allow you to fire 44 additional balls within the 6 seconds preceding the first shot you fire. Once the timer finishes the 6 seconds, it will reset and wait for another ball to be fired, upon which it will reinitiate the timer. The player may choose at his/her own discretion how he/she wishes to use these 45 paintballs. S/he can chose between semi, PSP z-burst, or Xball as a means of firing the balls, and can set the speed from 7.5bps to somewhere near 25bps, any faster would be difficult to judge.

This may seem like it would be difficult to regulate, but in reality it wouldn't be. Before players enter the field, they must declare the mode they are firing in, and the speed in the 7.5bps-25bps range. In the interests of reffing simplicity, there would be 8 set speeds players could chose from in this range. 7.5bps, 10bps, 12.5bps, 15bps, 17.5bps, 20bps, 22.5bps and 25bps. Each max speed would be designated by a colored arm band (neon in color... "cool" colors designating low ROF, "warm" colors designating high ROF) so that refs can identify speed chosen from a distance. Simple stop watches and pact timers, which are already in use, would make regulating this not much more of a hassle than using a pact timer is right now.

I really think this would add a lot to paintball as a sport. Not only would the paint problems be thinner, as the 13.3bps rule was made for, but the speeds could also be maintained in a tactical manner. Now if a player wants to have more offensive shooting speed, they have to sacrifice a few seconds and be vulnerable.

TL;DR: Just Read it if this confuses you:

Lower the ROF to 7.5bps, but make it be an average speed over 6 seconds. IE 25bps for the first 1.5 seconds is fine, but the rest of the 6 seconds you'll go without a shot.
Players must make a choice between an offensive sway or a defensive sway by their ROF speed
Colored arm bands and declaration before each round would make regulation not troubling.
Both the benefits of the fast ROF and the slow ROF are included.
8 speed options, 3 mode options, and 1 average. Thats 24 different styles of play accounted for.

Discuss.

Drefish99
01-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Come on man. You know better than this... If no one responds then they a) don't care or b) don't have opinions or c) way over their head. No need to up a nonBST thread you know that.

bigred76
01-11-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm sitting here scratching my head, but I GUESS I get the jist of what you're trying to get across, and have to admit, it's a good new idea. Probably the best I've heard yet! I can't really see something to change, but I'm sure there's something.

calebh
01-11-2008, 09:53 AM
i like the idea. it adds a new dimension to the game, and will increase movement on the field.

can't see it changing, especially not to something so complicated, though. 13.3 bps all the time for everyone is nice and simple.

i think you should take off the set speeds. just give everyone so many balls to shoot over so long, however fast they want to. that simplifies it, and allows more flexibility on the field.

i'd love to see a return to semi only, but that probably won't ever happen now.

HelpDeskHustler
01-11-2008, 11:52 AM
but you see, with that much flexibility, it'd require a ref to watch the player for no less than 6 seconds, and count every shot to make sure more aren't being added. with the pact timer a ref can check the bps to make sure that it matches your arm band, or is lower than the arm band, and then note how long you sustain fire for. Besides, if you really want to shoot as much as you want (within the 45 ball limit) you could just set it to 25bps NPPL.

calebh
01-11-2008, 12:02 PM
there would have to be a timer on the board that would stop shooting after the 45 balls in 6 seconds have been used, either way. that would take care of it, no extra reffing required. once the ref gets some experience, it shouldn't be too difficult to notice when someone is shooting too fast, too long.

HelpDeskHustler
01-11-2008, 12:15 PM
there would have to be a timer on the board that would stop shooting after the 45 balls in 6 seconds have been used, either way. that would take care of it, no extra reffing required. once the ref gets some experience, it shouldn't be too difficult to notice when someone is shooting too fast, too long.
The timer is the way you'd stop it... but people have cheated using boards before... remember when ramping began?

druid
01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
I have a better idea. semi only, regardless of capability of speed.

There's no skill in maintaining any kind of bps with ramping...all one has to do is continue to hit the 'activate' bps to induce ramp. Big whoop...no skill there.

The skill has shifted from sneaking up the field and one-balling an opponant - to finding a bunker big enough to hide behind....

Let them use skill to accomplish their goals and make them WORK for it.

HelpDeskHustler
01-11-2008, 12:35 PM
We've actually had that before, I don't remeber if you recall, but there was a company by the name of "AdvantagePB"
There's no skill in maintaining any kind of bps with ramping...all one has to do is continue to hit the 'activate' bps to induce ramp. Big whoop...no skill there. Being able to shoot fast is such a trivial skill that I'm just going to argue that having semi is MORE detrimental to the sport. Putting markers in semi causes players to compete on how fast they can shoot more than with ramping, and even more focus is put on speed, not less. Leave it in ramping and let players focus on movement.

The skill has shifted from sneaking up the field and one-balling an opponant - to finding a bunker big enough to hide behind....
Even before ramping the skill had shifted. Players weren't worried about a light gun that they could run with, or an accurate gun as much as a fast gun. Now nobody cares as long as it shoots 15bps. Paintball now involves faster snap shooting, and quicker movements to play.

Let them use skill to accomplish their goals and make them WORK for it. Again, the last time people had to work that hard, cheater boards were released, besides... it shouldn't be about how fast you can shoot
This is for always using yellow.

druid
01-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Blue=Quote:HDH
White=Originally Posted by druid
We've actually had that before, I don't remeber if you recall, but there was a company by the name of "AdvantagePB"
Turq=druid's rebuttal to HDH's blue :D
Yep. I remember. The actual problem was the technogeeks that couldn't play...and created the first 'cheater boards' to compensate for their inadequacies. They replaced skill with technology. That's not skill, that's empirical proof of inability.
There's no skill in maintaining any kind of bps with ramping...all one has to do is continue to hit the 'activate' bps to induce ramp. Big whoop...no skill there. Being able to shoot fast is such a trivial skill that I'm just going to argue that having semi is MORE detrimental to the sport. Putting markers in semi causes players to compete on how fast they can shoot more than with ramping, and even more focus is put on speed, not less. Leave it in ramping and let players focus on movement.
I respectfully disagree. Using semi only, forces the players to multitask - shoot fast AND get their asses up the field. If they need to concentrate on their speed that hard, they deserve to get shot out.
The skill has shifted from sneaking up the field and one-balling an opponent - to finding a bunker big enough to hide behind....
Even before ramping the skill had shifted. Players weren't worried about a light gun that they could run with, or an accurate gun as much as a fast gun. Now nobody cares as long as it shoots 15bps. Paintball now involves faster snap shooting, and quicker movements to play.
Yeah...but only from those who had no skills and got shot out early in their games...or the ~15-20% of the total amount of paintball players that make up speedballers in general.
Let them use skill to accomplish their goals and make them WORK for it. Again, the last time people had to work that hard, cheater boards were released, besides... it shouldn't be about how fast you can shoot
Yer right...it shouldn't be...but yet we are faced with the same lazy mindset that caused its creation in the first place.
Technology should not replace skill...only enhance it.
Soaking an area with paint only keeps people behind bunkers. That's not skill...that's a coward's way of not actually facing an opponent head-on.

This is for always using yellow. [/quote]

I can read that just fine. You phail...:D

calebh
01-11-2008, 01:34 PM
the color wars are back... or was that another forums those were on? anyway...

i think the answer is pump. give everyone a talon ghost and let them go at it. and then people will still cheat.