PDA

View Full Version : portable game systems

01-05-2008, 11:05 PM
ok I've not had any form of video game system for about two years now and I'm sick of it.
I have considered a 360 or a wii but I want something I can carry with me
so it's between a PSP or a DS
I don't really know the pros or cons of either since I've ignored my gamer side for a lot longer
so can you guys give me your opinions regarding the performance, applications, game library, battery life, etc.
thank in advance

DFSniper
01-05-2008, 11:18 PM
i have a DS. if you turn the backlight on the lowest setting, it will last you a long time. i have FFIII, Pokemon Diamond, and Worms Open Warfare. my friend's dad has a PSP, and we kinda compared systems.

the DS is more interactive (duh) and a lot of the time (depending on the game), the bottom screen functions as a touch-pad, adding extra buttons to the game.

the DS has a lot longer battery life

the DS is more multiplayer friendly (had Download-play, where you share 1 game cartridge. we used to play Mario Kart and Goldeneye: Rogue Agent on the bus ride home from school).

PSP has better graphics and "joystick" (which i personally don't like. i also dont like how stiff their L & R buttons feel)

since the PSP has better graphics, they try to fit as much as possible on the screen, and sometimes you're overwhelmed with how small they made everything (in my experience. i hated playing Need For Speed and Battlefront on PSP)

i say DS if you're just going to be a casual gamer. oh, another thing: if you close the DS screen, it pauses your game and uses almost NO battery!

Hossy
01-06-2008, 06:50 AM
I have a PSP, and I like it. I dont use it very much, but when I did use it alot i would listen to music on it, as well as I would only play games such as Madden and Poker on it. For my simple usage, it was very convienant.

Ive never used a DS, so i cant vouch for them

HelpDeskHustler
01-06-2008, 07:16 AM
iPod Touch with jailbreak software. You can play any gameboy rom you want, send IM's, access the internet and do a ton of other stuff.

01-06-2008, 03:20 PM
iPod Touch with jailbreak software. You can play any gameboy rom you want, send IM's, access the internet and do a ton of other stuff.

:flame: I utterly loath everything apple

08Lud08
01-06-2008, 06:17 PM
I'd go with the psp. I have my ds and I hardly play it any more. The graphics are not that good, the games seem like they were all made for little kids, and you will get bored of it pretty fast.

I Play my psp more often, it has the same games that a normal video game system has, it can play music, videos, and has web browser.

both the psp and ds have a power save when you don't want to turn it off. The psp has pretty good battery life but the ds has better

01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
well alright I'll take your advice and go for the psp
I'm getting the psp final fantasy bundle from gamestop on friday :)
how about some game recomendations

SupaSnipa
01-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Socom II, my brother has that and its sweet. I also like GTA: Liberty City Stories

Muddytaco
01-07-2008, 05:30 PM

100% agree, I got 650 original Nintendo games and close to 100 DS games on my touch. Also have 4GB of music, 5 full length movies, seasons 1-4 of family guy and about 25 other apps.

Ace24
01-07-2008, 05:40 PM
PSP is a portable media device... as where the DS is targeted more twards heavier gamers. Personally, I LOVE my DS. I love the games for it, I love the Internet Browser for it, and I love how it interacts with the Wii (eventually).

If you're getting a Wii, get the DS. If you're getting a 360 and aren't looking for a system that does just games, get the PSP.

If you have friends that have the DS, multi player on it is INCREDIBLE. I love playing Mario Cart with a bunch of friends, duking it out in Metriod Prime: Hunters (which is also online), and more.

PSP has a nice online game selection, especially SOCOM: Fire Team Bravo series. PSP and DS both have headsets that can be used for online play, but the DS has a built in microphone so the head set is not needed.

I love the PSP also... so it's hard for me to give you a one sided opinion on the handhelds. PSP also has an internet browser... but it's not as good as the one on the DS for a few reasons. Touch screen internet > Button internet.

Battery life on the DS is outstanding. The PSP doesn't have as good battery life due to the disk reader. The load time on the PSP is also very slow. The DS has virtually no load time.

It also depends on what kind of games you're into. Shooters/racing games get a PSP. RPG/Adventure/Puzzle games go with a DS.

I'd go with the psp. I have my ds and I hardly play it any more. The graphics are not that good, the games seem like they were all made for little kids, and you will get bored of it pretty fast.

I Play my psp more often, it has the same games that a normal video game system has, it can play music, videos, and has web browser.

both the psp and ds have a power save when you don't want to turn it off. The psp has pretty good battery life but the ds has better

The graphics on the DS are much cleaner, if not better then the PSP. I guess you've never played Final Fantasy 12, Final Fantasy III or pretty much any other quality game on the DS for that matter. The PSP makes everything look like a clay figurine.

The DS has the same games as a normal video game system too. FFXII is also on the PS2. The games are not all targeted towards little kids... most of them aren't. How do you know he'll get bored of it? Most of what you've stated is all opinionated. Not fact.

brevlle
01-07-2008, 05:55 PM
actually..a lot of the games for the ds are directed towards little kids..and the psp graphics would totally school the ds..and you listed ONE game that was available on a diff. system..pretty much every game on the psp is on the ps2..

Ace24
01-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Why would you want a hand held that plays the exact same thing as another system? Just get the other system, which will have better graphics, better load time, better everything.

A lot of the games on the DS are directed to little kids? Have you seen how many games there are on the DS? The PSP doesn't have as many titles.

The DS has more then triple PSP sales. Why? Not only is Nintendo more conserned about the gamer, but their systems are affordable, fun, and last a LONG time. I've seen so many ****ty failures with the PSP. SONY doesn't give a **** about their customers, more about making money.

For the longest time the PSP had CRAP titles. None of the games were worth buying accept for SOCOM and a couple others. The DS was launched with incredible titles that got very high ratings.

01-07-2008, 06:05 PM
ace you have swayed my decision
ds with FFXII
Ace prepare to be pm'd

Ace24
01-07-2008, 06:46 PM
FFXII is kick ass. The CG graphics on it are like nothing I've ever seen. Pluss, with the money you save on the DS, you can get games.

01-07-2008, 07:13 PM
FFXII is kick ass. The CG graphics on it are like nothing I've ever seen. Pluss, with the money you save on the DS, you can get games.

well ace what games do you recommend?

Ace24
01-07-2008, 07:34 PM
Metroid Prime: Hunters
Legend Of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Mario Cart DS
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy XII
Meteos
Animal Crossing: Wild World (if you get it, add me as a friend, I need someone to visit my town so I can get the final expansion on Nooks.)
Pokemon Diamond or Pearl

There's a lot more, but thats the ones on the top of my head.

01-07-2008, 08:34 PM
well I'm gonna get wild world since I was always a fan of the animal crossing games
but I'm gonna have to by a wi fi connector since I don't have wi fi :(

Ace24
01-07-2008, 08:44 PM
You don't have a linksys router? :(

The Wi-Fi thing for the computer lags the computer down quite a bit. (it did mine anyway...) so you'd only be able to do simple things on the comp while you're on your DS.

01-07-2008, 08:51 PM
well i'll either get the adapter or a router
too bad they don't make the ds in yellow :(

Ace24
01-07-2008, 08:55 PM
Haha. Hell I'm happy with the white one. It matches my Wii... and I'm sick of black everything. (Funny since I'm an emo kid)

01-07-2008, 09:03 PM
(Funny since I'm an emo kid)
well in that case I'm getting a psp :dodgy:
I'm getting a black one since I can't pull off anything white

Ace24
01-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Lmao...

I'd cry if you got a PSP :dodgy: JK Haha. I honestly don't care what Hand held you get, as I like both of them... but honestly the DS is the way to go for me. (More games I like on it)