PDA

View Full Version : Ghillie suit for pine forest?

interceptorMR2
01-05-2008, 11:58 AM
okay, so I live in central oregon, and the area is basically pine forest where i live. I would like to buy or create a ghillie suit, but Im not really sure what would work well with my area. there isnt any leafy foliage, its mostly just dry brush, pine needles, dead logs, and pine trees. its not really that green here either, most of the tree's healthy pine needles start at least 10 ft up the tree, and the trees are well spread most of the time, they arent heavy in certain areas. what would be an effective ghillie or camouflage to use for ambushing? i currently use regular MARPAT woodland camo.

slim and shady
01-05-2008, 06:38 PM
I would use that fall leafy pattern that you can buy at walmart or an hunting goods store. The other thing i would do is buy utility netting and yarn. Creat your own ghillie to match the environment that you are in. I mad variouse styles of ghillie some burlap some scrimp cammo some out of yarn. the last one i made was for winter and I think I have it on the "homemade paintball mods and equiptment" thread. It works great and im sure would work great for your envifonment because you could customize it for the surondings.

spray and pray
01-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Don't use camo. Go rambo. You get alot more people out. Just my .02

interceptorMR2
01-05-2008, 09:03 PM
oh yeah okay i saw that s&s, i guess I was a little hesitant just because i heard it takes forever, but i guess i have nothing better to do in the winter now do i? oh and spray and pray, no way would i do that. not the way i run haha.

spray and pray
01-06-2008, 06:27 AM
well in the snow it is kind of hard to run. I tried rambo yesterday when I was playing. Didn't work out to well. There was 2 feet of wet, heavy, and thick snow. and to go with the already bad conditions it was raining lightly which messed my mask up. I couldn't see a thing. If theres lots of snow just just wear white.

interceptorMR2
01-06-2008, 09:25 AM
yeah i cant really play in the snow yet, i need to switch from co2 one of these days. But seriously, even with no snow i suck at running. If you've seen saving private ryan, i am the equivilant of sgt. hovarth, but im skinnier lol. I love hittin people from a well concealed position and makin sure they have no clue where I hit them from. always fun :D I think im going to make a torso and head ghillie though, I really dont need a full one.

druid
01-06-2008, 06:28 PM
What you do is this:

Over the course of a year, take a digital camera with a date-stamp feature and take GOOD pics of the areas you play in. This will allow you to color-match at your computer...or print the photos out and take them to the store. This doesn't really help you now but right now, you can take digital stills of the area you play and color match a Ghillie for now.

Use Jute...not 'action ghillies' because the jute is able to take any dye you put to it. Pine forests, depending on the nature of the fir tree, depends on the gradient of greens you need to match them. For isntance, a Scotch pine has a bluish-gray hue to it...as compared to a dark green of a Douglas fir