PDA

View Full Version : Well boy, this morning has been fun

Mr.Untouchable
01-05-2008, 10:52 AM
I hopped on my computer today, and continued to log onto my windows xp profile...when I found out it was corrupted. So it set me up with a temporary profile...baisically a new profile with the old name.

So at this point I was pissed, I restarted the computer, and found out that didn't work. Luckily my father has a profile on this computer too. So i did a google search, and found out that my old profile wasn't coming back. But that I could copy most of my information over.

So the short way, I created a profile, got back on the temporary one, copied everything, which took FOREVER, and then pasted it onto my new profile. But then I found out I copied the files that corrupted the profile, so I had to go back and recopy everything, avoiding those three.

So here I am, on a semi-new xp account, and still trying to change things around.

I hate computers sometimes.

HelpDeskHustler
01-05-2008, 11:09 AM
thats not so bad from the things I've seen. trust me, at least there was no reformatting or reinstalling windows.

DFSniper
01-05-2008, 03:09 PM
lol, my HDD crashed after i attempted to use it as an external HDD this summer (didnt have a monitor for my pc). luckily i had backed up all my music, pics and videos onto an external drive before we moved. now i have a whole crapload of trojans and stuff that avast just found, and it cant get rid of them!!!

VS2 King
01-05-2008, 03:37 PM
thats nothing. i have has to restore my computer over 10 times for having viruses so bad that no spy ware or ad aware and anything could delete. the last virus i had couldn't be Quarantined . i scanned my comp found the virus tried to Quarantine it and it said virus is unquarantineable.

colonel_moo
01-05-2008, 05:46 PM
thats nothing. i have has to restore my computer over 10 times for having viruses so bad that no spy ware or ad aware and anything could delete. the last virus i had couldn't be Quarantined . i scanned my comp found the virus tried to Quarantine it and it said virus is unquarantineable.

sounds like someone needs to stop doing sketchy things on the internet! i dont want this to sound harsh, but i honestly dont know how people keep ending up with all these rediculous viruses (10 system threatening viruses during the life of one machine is absurd), if you're careful and dont go to websites you can't trust or open email attachments without knowing who its from, theres no reason why you should get a virus. also, stop using internet explorer (if you are).

ive established a habit to reformat my computer at least twice a year. it gets rid of all the crap thats on your computer so it won't crash unexpectedly. if you are doing alot of work on your computer, you should also try to backup all your important files (i.e. my documents folder) weekly. thats what i do when i'm in school, and luckily that habit saved me when my planar board took a dump and rendered me laptop-less in the middle of the semester.

VS2 King
01-05-2008, 05:58 PM
its not from going on websites. i used to be a online gamer and if anyone knows there are a lot of hackers/idiots on there that will do anything and will stop at nothing. i have never once gotten a virus from going to a website because i clear my files every time i close my browser and speaking of browser im using firefox. i hate ie so much.

08Lud08
01-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Ive only had to reformat my computer once and it was a couple years back when I only had one computer in my house and my parents did not know about computers too well and would open every email they got. It must have had every virus possible. Even buying 3 different antivirus, antispyware programs they did nothing.

If I ever get a hard to remove virus, or my computer gets really cluttered and close to being full I just format and start from scratch after saving important files. In fact I don't ever remember getting a virus on the computer I have been using for years and I don't use any antivirus or programs to protect, If you know what your doing there are small chances of getting viruses

vikingshadow
01-05-2008, 06:47 PM
I really need to learn how to reformat a computer. I have a couple that could really use the cleaning! My daughter has my old one, but it's so slow and cluttered that she never uses it in favor of my wife's.

Fortunately, I have this nifty laptop that goes everywhere with me and drives my wife nuts, hehe!

Maxx-Damage
01-05-2008, 06:52 PM
I dont think ive ever gotten my old dell a serious virues. Norton seemed to take care of em all. Mustve sucked quite a bit this morning.

My solution though, my gramps gave me his ol 05 Mac g5. Pretty freaking sweet, my dad and mom got no idea on how to use it:D

durrell
01-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Gotta love Windows' ability to break itself without any user interaction. Although normally I never have any problems with Windows (because I know how to keep it clean), I still prefer Linux to anything. I have a Macbook and use my Linux desktop more than the Macbook. :p

Paradox313
01-05-2008, 07:35 PM
OoOo computer problems, I got snowed in.

DFSniper
01-05-2008, 07:50 PM
sounds like someone needs to stop doing sketchy things on the internet! i dont want this to sound harsh, but i honestly dont know how people keep ending up with all these rediculous viruses (10 system threatening viruses during the life of one machine is absurd), if you're careful and dont go to websites you can't trust or open email attachments without knowing who its from, theres no reason why you should get a virus. also, stop using internet explorer (if you are).
its not the internet that gets me, its the shareware programs on limewire :nododgy: and i just started using limewire 2-3 days ago...

colonel_moo
01-05-2008, 09:48 PM
well if you're using limewire, you can pretty much expect to ruin your computer. i dont care if what you're downloading is legal or not. if its shareware, why are you using limewire to get it? if its legal to distribute, you can get it other places (i.e. the developer's website!).

HelpDeskHustler
01-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Gotta love Windows' ability to break itself without any user interaction. Although normally I never have any problems with Windows (because I know how to keep it clean), I still prefer Linux to anything. I have a Macbook and use my Linux desktop more than the Macbook. :p
I've only seen windows break "without user interaction". I've never seen it break without user interaction.

If you're in the know about computers I think you'll understand what I'm saying.

durrell
01-06-2008, 08:33 AM
I've only seen windows break "without user interaction". I've never seen it break without user interaction.

If you're in the know about computers I think you'll understand what I'm saying.

I know exactly what you're saying.

PEBKAC, haha.

HelpDeskHustler
01-06-2008, 09:09 AM
I know exactly what you're saying.

PEBKAC, haha.
LOL yea, I've done virus removal for money before. Trust me "I haven't done anything" means completely different things depending on how computer savvy the person saying it is. Here's a forumla:

As Computer Knowledge approaches infinity, "I haven't done anything" approaches being true.