PDA

View Full Version : are paintgrenades really that good?

kramernator
01-04-2008, 06:52 PM
i was wondering, are grenades any good, they cost a lot, $5-$12 where i am, and i wouldn't think that they are that great. but yet i see vests for pouches carrying grenades and hear about people using them. are they really worth buying, or do people just like to say, "hey, i have grenades" ?

newkid
01-04-2008, 06:54 PM
imo not that great

Mr.Untouchable
01-04-2008, 07:06 PM
We bought a tippmann grenade at my field to just mess around with in a game.

We threw the grenade...nothing came out. Picked the grenade up, paint spewed everywhere.

With my experiences, they're nothing great,

DFSniper
01-04-2008, 07:17 PM
in my experiences, they bounce off of trees!

i would just get paint mine mix and water balloons...

KingTutBaller
01-04-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm gonna take some heat for this probably, but I like the Tippman Squadbusters :D I rigged a setup so that two were always attached to my MR2 stock (where as you can imagine if you know what the stock looks like) they were within hand reach, and after a while it became an automatic reaction to throw one if needed, instead of having to think about grabbing it from a pocket or pouch. They're not 100% reliable but in most of my experiences they've worked, you're supposed to shake em up quite a bit, and I always do that before games, plus lots of shaking while running... I also pull off the mesh and there's two ball bearings sealing the ends of the tube, and I will sometimes gently squeeze that area in hopes of breaking the seals a little.
Also, I've been able to get mine quite cheap, a buck or two apeice, so I guess if I was paying 5 dollars for one, no, it wouldn't be worth it. Fun toys in an already expensive sport:D

01-04-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm gonna take some heat for this probably, but I like the Tippman Squadbusters :D I rigged a setup so that two were always attached to my MR2 stock (where as you can imagine if you know what the stock looks like) they were within hand reach, and after a while it became an automatic reaction to throw one if needed, instead of having to think about grabbing it from a pocket or pouch. They're not 100% reliable but in most of my experiences they've worked, you're supposed to shake em up quite a bit, and I always do that before games, plus lots of shaking while running... I also pull off the mesh and there's two ball bearings sealing the ends of the tube, and I will sometimes gently squeeze that area in hopes of breaking the seals a little.
Also, I've been able to get mine quite cheap, a buck or two apeice, so I guess if I was paying 5 dollars for one, no, it wouldn't be worth it. Fun toys in an already expensive sport:D

applying heat now :D
it alo helps to have a good throwing arm and a solid surface

MR2 Woodsballer
01-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Well honestly when i played woodsball, i always had a few on me. Tippman squadbusters work really well i never had a problem with them. I never really used one to intentionaly get ppl out. i would always throw one from behind cover to buy myself time to reload or retreat to more cover. It is an awsome use for distractions while other ppl make moves. They can be very useful it just all depends on how you use them. Some games you wont use them but other games you will defently need to. Buy 2 or 3 and give them a try you dont have to use them all in 1 game or even bring them all every game. Take 1 with you and get creative.

colonel_moo
01-04-2008, 08:12 PM
not worth it. they take too much preparation before you can actually throw them, and they only work ~50% of the time. the other half you'll end up covering yourself.

calebh
01-04-2008, 08:25 PM
i've only had a few experiences with them. one time it worked and all my friends were taken out (i had walked around a wall like a second before), the only other time i've seen one in use during a game, we threw it back and forth a couple times before it hit a tree branch and finally blew up. one time we were just screwing around and it wouldn't blow up. so i'm not a fan of them

newkid
01-05-2008, 05:43 AM
so basically they are hit and miss

pb34
01-05-2008, 06:41 AM
Well it depends where you're using them. I was at a big scenario event and the final battle was basically a huge field with hundreds of players on it with some spools and and other things in it. In this case they worked very well. The field was huge so you could throw as far as you could and it would still be on the field so you don't really have to worry about them bursting. I believe the ones I used were fat boy grenades. They don't call for any preparation, you just throw them. So IMO they work very well in some situations but not so well in others.

timbertiger20
01-05-2008, 06:45 AM
OK......Squad Busters are horrible! I pick more of them up and throw them back with success than the thrower! These however are amazing! http://www.specialopspaintball.com/shop/product_detail.asp?SKU=610+0001
I've never had one of these not go off and I've used lots! They don't use a ball bearing........just a friction knot in the rubber with a rubber band! Clean simple big and highly affective!

pb34
01-05-2008, 07:28 AM
OK......Squad Busters are horrible! I pick more of them up and throw them back with success than the thrower! These however are amazing! http://www.specialopspaintball.com/shop/product_detail.asp?SKU=610+0001
I've never had one of these not go off and I've used lots! They don't use a ball bearing........just a friction knot in the rubber with a rubber band! Clean simple big and highly affective!

Yeah those are the ones I was talking about. I didn't have any not go off and I won 6 more at the end of the event.:p

Ace24
01-05-2008, 10:27 AM
One scenario event I used one... They can be useful. There was a guy in a crows nest that wasn't sticking his head out. I tossed one up and he practically jumped out of the nest. If the grenade didn't paint him enough, I sure did... >.<

They're only good for Scenario with 100+ people IMO.

Kenny_McCormic
01-05-2008, 10:39 AM
You can make better from surgical tubing and PVC pipe.

druid
01-06-2008, 05:41 PM
The idea behind squadbuster grenades is this - There's a ball bearing stuffed into the spout behind where it's folded over and capped. You need to get elevation in your throw so that there's enough impact force to dislodge it from the neck. That means...throw it high and lob it in there.

Others, like the big-boys, only fold the necks over and rely on a disc to 'pop off' when it hits the ground. You don't need as much loft with these but it helps.

Throwing a grenade at a low angle will cause it to "skip" accross the ground, overshooting where you want it to land. A high 'lofted throw' typically lets it bounce vertically...which is more appropriate to our game.