PDA

View Full Version : My kids keep chopin?

solodare
01-04-2008, 02:23 PM
My two sons and I, all got VS1's I never had a problem with chops but they seem to chop almost at the same time. Ammo? Kids? Val to low?
What do you guys think?
Thanks

The Pumper
01-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Are they twins? LOL.

Do you all use the same paint? Do you shoot the same speed? BPS and velocity.

solodare
01-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Here is the run down. They started having this problem when we got a new case of paint. after the first couple of chops I tried to recreate the chop but couldn't. We dont have a crono so I have been adjusting the guns all the way down with about a 1/4 turn back up. SO where shootong the same speed diffrent paint. but when I shoot there guns it doesn't happend to me.
is there something they could be doing? I dont get it. Is it just something that happens? they shouldn't be chopping ever game right? but it's only been happing with this paint even though I hear no complants about this brand from any one else.

01-04-2008, 03:01 PM
what hoppers are they using?
are the eyes on?

vwjimmy
01-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Paint, especially cheap paint, could be the cause of the chop....
Are they bolt chops? (paint in the feedneck and on the bolt) With the eyes on?
Also, what loader are they using and are their fingers alot faster than yours?

solodare
01-09-2008, 09:50 AM
the paint wasn't cheap and My contact at the store says no one else is choppin this paint. So I dont think its the paint unless I have a bad batch?does that happen?
The chops are bolt chops... feed neck and bolt are covered but, mainly feed neck. and the hoppers are gravity feed.

01-09-2008, 09:56 AM
the paint wasn't cheap and My contact at the store says no one else is choppin this paint. So I dont think its the paint unless I have a bad batch?does that happen?
The chops are bolt chops... feed neck and bolt are covered but, mainly feed neck. and the hoppers are gravity feed.
well there you go get a faster hopper
you cant relly on just the vs1's eyes to keep you safe

Protan
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Dont listen to him gravity hoppers are fine but I know from my experience that its most likely the paint. Clean out the gun and oil it and then use there gun and see if it does the same thing. Just observe how they shoot.

01-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Dont listen to him gravity hoppers are fine but I know from my experience that its most likely the paint. Clean out the gun and oil it and then use there gun and see if it does the same thing. Just observe how they shoot.
grav hoppers+electros=bad time
I've heard the vs1's eyes aren't the greatest
oh and are the eyes clean?

Hob Hayward
01-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Overshooting the feed rate would be my guess.

Else.. maybe trouble recocking is causing it?

spray and pray
01-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Get them a new hopper. Here are a few reccomendations for vs1

Get one of these if they are very careful
Halo tsa frontman-fragile, good speed for vs1
halo tsa backman-fragile, good speed for vs1

I would reccomnd one of these over the halo tsa though
Halo B with rip-Favorite hopper, might be a little heavy for them though
Evlution 3-fragile, backheavy, a little bit slow on gun
Evlution 2-fragile, backheavy, a little bit slow on gun
Revy-probably perfect for them speedwise.
eye force-Good beginner hopper just a little bit expensive, The revlution force doesn't have eyes and will break alot of paint.
Vlocity-Probably too much money and not worth it for a vs1
Fasta-Might be a little bit expensive and overkill
Apache-I would really reccomend this one for them, It's cheap and works great http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=64o9YvhUmBQ9mb_Rpxr9yvKA4_tZOHnl6F8=?Pro ductID=%2ePmsFAY7CV8AAAD8euPJWqlT

If you think they should get a new hopper heres the ones I would reccomend the most.
1.The apache in the link I gave you
2.revy
3.Halo B, Kind of expensive but worth it in the long run.

But anyways a new hopper should fix the chopping problem. From the sounds of it the eyes are working but because they are placed a little high the bolt slices the paintball in half because the paintball isn't all the way down yet.

Gravity feed=bad
electric hopper=good

But if you decide to get them a new hopper before you do try this.

take off the hopper, put paintballs in the feedneck and fire. If they paintballs fly out of the feedneck you are having blowback problems. Which means the eyes could see the paintball and trigger it to fire but the blowback send the paintball up and the bolt slices it in half. If blowback is the problem a 2 O-ring bolt, and a small drilled hole in the feedneck should fix it. If the hopper is the problem then do what I said before. I have had MANY chopping problems and Have fixed them all. If you have a few more questions shoot me a pm.

EDIT
If it is cold outside, or you are using brittle paint the pressure could be the problem. 850 psi blasting at a cold/brittle paintball is going to shatter the paintball right on contact. What paint are you using?

newkid
01-09-2008, 03:44 PM
DO NOT BUY the force!!! I have it but not that good i would have rather spent $30 for something else

spray and pray
01-09-2008, 03:52 PM
That is why I didn't put it in the top 3..... The eye force is ok. The force sucks.

Command2A
01-09-2008, 06:51 PM
My two sons and I, all got VS1's I never had a problem with chops but they seem to chop almost at the same time. Ammo? Kids? Val to low?
What do you guys think?
Thanks
I've been playing this sport for many years as a father with two sons. We've learned along the way as you are now. Spend cheap.... you get cheap.... spend more you get more..... We are now outfitted with Dye, Proto, SP, Cyborgs. Its all good. Cause we intend to never give up and play all the time. Spyders are entry level markers. So if you intend to play this sport for years... move on up and enjoy it with your boys.:D

solodare
01-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Low end or not... a brand new marker shouldn't chop ever game. How about giving us some DM8's with all the money you got over there:bow: But really I know we got low end markers but, we donít have a ton of money so we are thankful just to be able to play. Just because we don't have the best markers doesn't or shouldn't mean that we should have to live with chopping.
I'm just trying to learn ... if we're doing something wrong this is the place to find that out right? I don't remember asking for opinions on the best markers or what anyone else has... just if I could get some guidance for our chopping problem. Which by the way for those of you that where actually trying to help and truly cared about or problem and not just wanting to let everyone know how cool you are because of the high end guns you got...:shameonyou: The chopping has seem to stop we now think (just because we have no other explanation) that they my have been shooting with eyes off, Or it could have been just a run of bad luck. We played yesterday and had no problems until our batteries ran out. No chops
Thanks for every ones help we learn alot about what to look for and some good trouble shooting techniques. We have also started looking into the electronic loaders as "spray and pray" suggested. Thanks everyone even you Command2A :) we will probably upgrade as soon as possible. I appreciate the help everyone. thanks again.

bigred76
01-14-2008, 02:57 PM
My Cyborg's ubber cool and has never chopped a ball. :dodgy:

Sorry, had to say it, haha! The eyes may have been off, shoddy paint, slow hopper and itchy trigger fingers, low batteries, all may attribute to chopping.

To resolve eyes: turn 'em on, keep 'em clean. Wipe them down as part of you clean-up.

To resolve the paint: buy a well known brand, even if it is their low end stuff. Personally, I shoot Evil and RPS Premiums because I simply love to have the best I can afford, even if it means I wait a month to play. DXS Bronze works just as well, however.

To resolve the hopper, cheap Revolutions for $25 a pop used on PBN or here (post a WTB thread) will solve most of your issues. It isn't like you're going to be outshooting them anytime soon with VS1's and CO2 (not a degrading statement, it's simply how it is... :shrug:).

To resolve the battery: charge it.

That should pretty much cover it. It takes a little bit of money to get into paintballing to the point where you're comfortable, but it's all worth it in the end when you make those killer moves on the field. ;)

Hob Hayward
01-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Is there an eye delay setting on the VS1? I somehow doubt it, but if there is, upping it could alleviate any chopping with a grav feed.

TBH, grav feeds are fine, on any gun, just don't try to shoot fast.

snoopdogg
01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
clean ur eyes and stuff lube the gun just fully service ur gun replace o rings and everything check ur psi

king-man
01-14-2008, 05:01 PM
if there not careful a halo tsa is the worst about breaking, espiacally the little prongs that connect the battery, they are good though, plenty good enough for a vs1, unless your kids are really good with there fingers ;). i would also suggest an empire revolver II, theyare alot less fragile.

EDIT
Are you using co2, that could freeze brittle balls and cause them to break, if its cold where you are, make sure you buy a winter formula bag of balls

bigred76
01-15-2008, 12:26 AM
i would also suggest an empire revolver II, theyare alot less fragile.
I THINK you mean a "Reloader 2." The Revolver is Empire's new barrel kit, afterall, and I do not think his children would enjoy using them for hoppers.:butwiggle:

solodare
01-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I do remember shooting snow from the guns that morning but this was later in the day and it wasn't that cold. At what temp should you start thinking about cold form paint? I think its chops because the paint is mostly in the feed neck not the barrel. I think from hearing the consensus here that it my have been a combination of low batteries, fast fingers. ?????

bigred76
01-15-2008, 08:29 PM
That would mean that they're outshooting their hoppers (fast fingers) AND either eyes off or dirty eyes. The low battery wouldn't have anything to do with that, or at least it shouldn't be.

fastdrum6
01-16-2008, 12:29 PM
This happen to me with my spyder pilot when i first started using it with just a regular hopper. I went out and bought a electronic hopper and it now works great.

Hob Hayward
01-17-2008, 05:55 PM
The low battery wouldn't have anything to do with that, or at least it shouldn't be.

It can, but usually not with a stock gun. Doesn't hurt to make sure they're charged though.

Aman546
01-18-2008, 06:12 AM
try lubing the acs bolt

bigred76
01-18-2008, 05:12 PM
ONLY if it is all aluminum... If it's delrin (white plastic) ONLY lubricate the o-rings. Putting lube onto the bolt itself will actually cause it to swell, which is NOT a good thing. ;)

xSoulsx
01-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Are you still having problems?

Are you using CO2 or COmpressed air?
Is there broken paint UP in the hopper?

CO2 in the cold will cause blow back. I had the Same problem with my Electra a while back when i had it. I switched to Compressed air and it worked fine.

Maybe stop by you local field and play for the day and borrow a compressed air tank and see how it works...

SpyderMan723
01-31-2008, 05:50 PM
ONLY if it is all aluminum... If it's delrin (white plastic) ONLY lubricate the o-rings. Putting lube onto the bolt itself will actually cause it to swell, which is NOT a good thing. ;)

WHOOPS :o

I oiled my whole ACP bolt lol hahaha im a moron

bigred76
01-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Have fun sanding, then. ;) Once you get it started swelling, there is no real way to stop it that I know of. If it gets stuck, grab the mallet and dowel and get it out, take off the orings, and sand it little bit by little bit until it fits again. :)

XsoulX, why bring back this thread? :confused:

SpyderMan723
02-01-2008, 06:29 AM
Have fun sanding, then. ;) Once you get it started swelling, there is no real way to stop it that I know of. If it gets stuck, grab the mallet and dowel and get it out, take off the orings, and sand it little bit by little bit until it fits again. :)

XsoulX, why bring back this thread? :confused:

idk if it has swelled though.

its in the shop

ill just replace it if need be

deano 177
02-01-2008, 02:29 PM
idk if it has swelled though.

its in the shop

ill just replace it if need be
You may not have to. Some of the new derlin wont swell. you might get lucky.

bigred76
02-01-2008, 07:49 PM
If it is delrin, it will swell. If it's Ertylite, it might not. ;)

Paintball Freak
03-05-2008, 06:21 PM
well there you go get a faster hopper
you cant relly on just the vs1's eyes to keep you safe

Thats not true at all! I've never chopped a paintball out of around 3000 shots! The eyes work awesomely... :)

Paintball Freak
03-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Basically the eyes have to be on... If they're not the paintballs will defiantly break... The VS1 eyes work just as well as all the others! Just make sure that their clean... :)

clynnt
03-12-2008, 08:28 PM
My son and I have new vs1's. We are new to paintball. We had a dissappointing day at the paintball field last weekend busting paint like you described in your sons gun. There was another fellow there with a new vs1 experiencing the same problem. The blow back is so strong the balls will fly 3 feet in the air if you shoot without a hopper(just an experiment). I'm guessing the gap that is present in the neck while using a gravity feed hopper allows the balls enough movement and momentum to collide and break. I'm planning on buying an egg3 hopper for each gun if anyone in this crowd could confirm my suspicion here. Also, my sons gun has a slight co2 leak I can hear when the hopper is off. Any suggestions here? These guns are brand new and I can return them if need be. Honestly I'd like to solve the problems because I'm sure tinkering with your paintball gun is a never ending saga and probably part of the fun. Thanks for the help!

solodare
03-13-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure what to tell you. Its like we grew out of it. We still chop but not as much. Some days not at all. I can't say that there is any one thing that we did that made a diffrence. Its kind of weird to us. I will say this, the last time I had a bust it was with a grav hopp playing speed ball(shooting fast). Woods ball (shooting slower) I dont ever have any bust. Listen to the advice of all the post before. Make sure that the ball dentents are in good, Eyes are on, Paint isn't cold,old,check to make sure your bats are charged,.Like I said before not sure if any of this does anything.

bigred76
03-13-2008, 02:58 PM
:yeahthat: It's a common thing among Spyders for that to occur, actually. All the things to fix everything you're describing has been talked over in this thread. You won't need to return the markers, but might want to go back to the paintball shop and pick up some oil... since you're running two markers I'd suggest a bottle each, so your son can use one while you're using the other. Should be about $10 tops for both.

An Egg3 (known sometimes as a Zeggy, as it's just an Egg2 with a Z-board) would be a good upgrade for your set-ups. It'll increase the ROF (rate of fire) you're able to shoot at AND it should reduce some of those chops. My bet is that you probably had a bad ball/barrel break, and some paint got on the eyes. The eyes read the breech as it if it had a ball in it, and fired before the next ball fell in. This went on until you stopped firing. Just a guess. ;)

To fix the leak: rip down and clean the marker (take off the detent covers and clean out the eye channels with Q-Tips as well), and oil it back up using Gold Cup or any other paintball specific oil. I used to put a couple drops of oil into my bottomline before I screwed my tank into it back when I owned a Spyder still. It keeps the lubrication fresh, and solves most minor leaks from the cupseal.

spyderfan4271
03-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Could your sons have spilled any paintballs on the ground when loading or in the middle of a game getting them wet and then put them back in hopper. My son just shot about 1000 thru his VS1 without a break two weeks ago but, he is using a Zeggy and compressed air.

deano 177
03-13-2008, 06:32 PM
That hissing sound is probably the cup seal. Check you diagrams and oil like big red suggested. Change the cup if need be. If that doesnt fix your problems, take it back... A good rule of thumb that I have found out, at least for me, is that with a electric trigger you will need an electric hopper.

steve22
04-23-2008, 05:39 PM
it could be your ball dents (under you eye covers) are broken or have fell out and letting in to many balls than crushing them
hope this can help

Paintballer5000
04-27-2008, 12:13 PM
you should try to get new eyes. or your hoper is to fast. So try to turn your hopper down to the speed of the gun.

bigred76
04-27-2008, 11:56 PM
A hopper can never feed fast enough for me... Taken from the unofficial Halo bible (the Halo Report):

Why Should We Care about Feeding Faster Than We Shoot?

The reason is because slight variations in shooting and feeding will lead to hiccups in the feeding and firing rate. Say you are shooting in PSP mode, capped at 15 balls per second. If your hopper feeds 15 bps, but then suddenly skips a ball or two, you will drop your rate of fire, and sometimes the gun will not shoot when YOU want it to, because it can’t feed fast enough. However, if you feed 25 bps, and you have PSP mode on, then you can skip several balls without worrying about loosing feeding/firing rate. So, in general, it is always best to feed faster than you are actually shooting, by about 5-8 bps. This will help ensure you will at least get your maintained firing rate, and will be a buffer for errors. So, if you shoot a 15 bps cap, try to feed 20 bps or more. If you shoot with an uncapped PSP or NXL mode, or have a very fast semi gun in NPPL, then you should try to feed 30+ bps.

If anything to do with the hopper in this old thread, the thing was too slow.