PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Apex or 16 inch RAP4 Rifled Barrel

HavocNC
01-03-2008, 06:15 PM
I was thinking of getting a new barrel for my MR2 and saw a 16 inch rifled barrel on RAP4 for $55.00. Then I heard that the spyder Apex for $49.50. I was thinking of the barrel from RAP4 but for some reason I am rethinking my choice and can't decide.:( If someone would please give me their opinions on both.

770link770
01-03-2008, 08:04 PM
IMO, I would get the Apex. I have a rifled barrel that came with my 05 Spyder Electra ACS, and I consider it to be junk. The rifling does not help it at all. Go with the Apex, plus that gives you long shots, hooks, and divebombs.

KingTutBaller
01-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Oh another one of these... :D
I think you'll find quite a few threads already around on the Apex subject, you'll find very good Pro's and Con's if you use the search function here in the forums.

A pretty common answer I've seen, and in my opinion the best, is to goto a local field or find someone close to you who has one, and see if they'll let you take a whirl with it. I don't think it's best to have someone here reccomend it to you, or have someone tell you 'never to try it', cuz it's like arguing the best flavour of ice cream. You just gotta try it first. Mmmm. Ice cream.

Hope that helped. Good luck with your choice.

770link770
01-03-2008, 08:50 PM
I agree fully with KingTutBaller. You need to try it out for yourself. Just as with buying a new gun or mask, you may like it and others may not. Do some research on these barrels, and don't only limit yourself to these choices. There are a million barrels out there, and you will find one that you like sooner or later. As for me I am fine with my 14" J&J ceramic, but have also looked into the Apex.

HavocNC
01-04-2008, 05:13 AM
Well I wish I had a local field.:( But the only local field near me moved to a new parish to get more business because they were more out in the backwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooodssssssssss sss of LA and it was very hard to find and get to unless you lived there. Well now since they moved closer they are even thinking of shutting it down because of not enough funding.:( Where I live all I have is a Coolie and a Cane Field to play in. So I have to make a choice cause my birthday is soon and I am composing a list.

HavocNC
01-04-2008, 05:15 AM
Oh another one of these... :D
I think you'll find quite a few threads already around on the Apex subject, you'll find very good Pro's and Con's if you use the search function here in the forums.

A pretty common answer I've seen, and in my opinion the best, is to goto a local field or find someone close to you who has one, and see if they'll let you take a whirl with it. I don't think it's best to have someone here reccomend it to you, or have someone tell you 'never to try it', cuz it's like arguing the best flavour of ice cream. You just gotta try it first. Mmmm. Ice cream.

Hope that helped. Good luck with your choice.

I see what you are saying, and yes ice cream is delicious.:D

770link770
01-04-2008, 07:39 AM
OK, I feel you man they shut down my local field here in Panama City Beach. Now I have to drive and hour away to play, but te nearest fiel is on a military base, so they don't charge field fees, adn everything is dirt cheap.

IMO, my 2 cents worth would be to get the Apex.

HavocNC
01-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Yeah that's the one im leaning too. I have heard alot of good things about it and I am putting it on my list.

KingTutBaller
01-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Apex is definately something neat to add to your setup, it's always good to have an extra barrel around or another trick up your sleeve for sure. I have an Apex, and although it's not my first choice on my Mr2 (it's been sitting on my unused MR3 for some time), it is fun to play with thats for sure. Considering it's a gift, no loss on your part if you're not in love with it, but I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

HavocNC
01-04-2008, 09:36 AM
What kind of barrel do you use Kingtut? Just to get an idea.

interceptorMR2
01-04-2008, 10:06 AM
i fully suggest the apex! i love mine, i have the BT-16 apex, and it just annoys the heck out of my friends for all the funny shots it takes. no one is safe if someone is using an apex, and its just hilarious to see people;s reactions. :D i mostly use mine for my friends that dont want to move from their positions, or for long range shots. its great fun!

SpyderMan723
01-04-2008, 11:49 AM
I say get a 14" Rap4 tactical rifled.
I got a 16" and i think its a wee bit too long.
but if you dont have your shroud off then you should buy the barrel for the MR1 2 and 3
I think its called the recon barrel

HavocNC
01-04-2008, 12:06 PM
I think I am going to go for the Apex. One more question for someone who has it. Is it good if you run up on someone with it or does it become kind of goofy.

SpyderMan723
01-04-2008, 12:08 PM
but listen
if you get the recon, its rifled and it allows you to put a muzzle brake on it if you wish to do so.
And i heard that apex barrel breaks suck because the balls curve like crazy with paint in the barrel

HavocNC
01-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Ok find me a link and send it to me and I will take a look.

SpyderMan723
01-04-2008, 03:25 PM
http://rap4.com/paintball/os/spyder-recon-rifled-barrel-p-3949.html

slim and shady
01-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Dont be scared of the Apex i have recomended it to alot of people and I havent heard one person say they ever regreat getting it. It's the only barrel I use (Well the tip) It doesnt matter if i use my 14" progressive my 3" stubby the stock or my 21" I always have the Apex tip on.

It really is a great barrel and I wouldnt hesitate to get it. If you want to know anything else about it dont hesitate to PM me. It really is a great barrel.
im sure you probably know about the underground mod adapter so you can use it on other barrels right? or some people just wrap tape but it all works. Its a great barrel, and whats best it can be "turned off" with the flick of a switch.
Get the Apex you know yopu want it!

interceptorMR2
01-04-2008, 04:04 PM
well havoc, for close quarters it can be great actually, you twist the apex on the end for which direction you want a curve on, you can change whether the apex (a"curving ability" or whatever you want to call) is on, and if the apex is off then it shoots like a regular barrel, but if you want close quarters i suggest getting the regular apex barrel and not the M16 apex like mine, the m16 ones a bit long, look on Post a Pic of your MR2 to see mine if you would like to, but the regular apex is much shorter and does the same job. and actually slim and shady was the one who recommended me the apex, and im never going back to a normal barrel!

interceptorMR2
01-04-2008, 04:07 PM
oh and by the way, if your gonna get the apex i suggest you go to xtremez.com thats where i bought it, and its the cheapest i've ever seen it, but make sure to select the correct paintball gun for it. my dad made that mistake and i got the A-5 version first..... but yeah the apex on xtremez.com is only about 50 bucks and regularly its priced at around 100 bucks or so, give or take. but big difference anyways

slim and shady
01-04-2008, 04:16 PM
If you are going to get an Apex why dont you go here
http://www.spyder.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=174507#post174507
and give Vike a hand in selling the ones that she is trying to?
give her an offer or whatever.
Just thought it might help

KingTutBaller
01-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Havoc you asked what barrels I use, I picked up a Phat Performance 6 piece set.. 3 barrel length's, with three bore size selector backs. Downside is, they don't fit thru the MR's shrouds, but I take it off if I really feel like using them. Very nice barrels, used on my other markers.
A few others aswell, also an Apex, but believe it or not, right now I've been using my stock MR2 barrel, but thats because I have a rifle-style foregrip that actually bolts right onto nuts I put on the underside of my barrel, and my stock barrel was the only one I felt like plastering with JB weld. (Definately cosmetic but I've come to trust the stock barrel anyway:D)

my Phat babies ;)
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o62/miketutecky/phat.jpg

HavocNC
01-04-2008, 07:35 PM
WOW! Those are very nice barrels. I think I am going to go with the Apex because alot of people are saying they are very good and if the reviews go with the prices I have found they are a good bang for their buck. $49.50 on pntball.com I have ordered off their site twice now. One for the gun, and now I have ordered the spyder fasta hopper, and the shipping is very nice. A wee bit pricy though after but I always use 2nd Day shipping because sometimes I can't wait!

KingTutBaller
01-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks. Sounds like you made a good choice and got a good deal, I hope you enjoy it :D There's always more barrels to try and it's fun to get a collection goin so maybe someday you'll pick up that RAP4 baby and give that a whirl too.
Enjoy that fasta too!

pb34
01-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Well for those of you looking for an Apex, look in the B/S/T. Vike has one for sale for 55+ shipping OBO.

HavocNC
01-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I will go with the Apex, and I will get my hopper in around monday or tuesday which ever day the UPS man decides to deliver IT!

SpyderMan723
01-05-2008, 05:26 PM
yo havoc how did you make ur pic small enough to make it an avatar?

HavocNC
01-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Here's what I did I just went to the Avatar thing uploaded it from my computer and Poof it worked, and it is a pretty big picture when on my computer. Hey spyder I looked on your profile and saw that you have an Empire Event Blue correct? If so how are you liking it. I put it on my birthday list.

kramernator
01-06-2008, 07:20 AM
i say go with the apex, the rifling inside of that rap4 barrel most likely doesn't do very much, plus the apex barrel can put a sweet spin on the balls, my friend has one and it is pretty sweet.

SpyderMan723
01-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Here's what I did I just went to the Avatar thing uploaded it from my computer and Poof it worked, and it is a pretty big picture when on my computer. Hey spyder I looked on your profile and saw that you have an Empire Event Blue correct? If so how are you liking it. I put it on my birthday list.

Oh baby, I can't get enough of it. It NEVER fogs but the only downside for me is changing lenses.

bassmasta
01-06-2008, 03:07 PM
i say go with the apex, the rifling inside of that rap4 barrel most likely doesn't do very much, plus the apex barrel can put a sweet spin on the balls, my friend has one and it is pretty sweet.
actually, while rifling degrades or doesn't affect the performance of good paint, crappy paint balls get a 20-30% increase in accuracy from what i've tried.

HavocNC
01-07-2008, 06:16 AM
Oh baby, I can't get enough of it. It NEVER fogs but the only downside for me is changing lenses.

Why are changing the lenses a downside? Is it just hard to do? Doesn't the mask come with a visor? The way it is?

SkinWalk3r
01-07-2008, 10:37 AM
How long is the APEX barell from end ti end with APEX on ?

KingTutBaller
01-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Mine is exactly 10inches and 7/8ths tip to tip. not sure about the longer ones, and I completely forget what this length was marketed as.

slim and shady
01-07-2008, 06:20 PM
I think the Apex has either a 10" or a 14" those are the two marketed sizes

SkinWalk3r
01-07-2008, 08:07 PM
where does one get just the APex tip ?

SpyderMan723
01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Why are changing the lenses a downside? Is it just hard to do? Doesn't the mask come with a visor? The way it is?

its a downer for me yea bcuz its kinda complicated IMO.Yea it comes with two visors actually but i dont use them

slim and shady
01-08-2008, 06:15 PM
you cant just get the Apex tip, the only other thing you can get is the underground mod adapter so that you can use the Apex tip on other barrels. But you still have to buy the Apex barrel and all first. And to be honest a few wraps of electrical tape does the same thing as the mod adapter anyway.