PDA

View Full Version : Santa came a little late for me...

Ace24
01-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Well... I've been doing some deals lately and stumbled upon one I couldn't pass up.

For some time now I've been searching around for a good, semi decent backup/friend gun. I came across this:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/IMG_0082Copy.jpg

It is an ION Pro package with the following upgrades:

Pro Clamping Feedneck
Freak Barrel w/ .689 insert
AA tip and Freak JR tip
QEV
S Rail and SP On/Off ASA
Max'd Body as well as normal stock black one
CP Trigger
Spare parts, Sleek lube, and instructions

I payed $100 for it. :D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/IMG_0081Copy.jpg

I also picked up another back up hopper, as well as one that had a V35 and backplate that I wanted.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/TeddyBearFuzz/IMG_0083Copy.jpg

The ION needed some major TLC when I got it. There was paint in the bolt, in the gun, on the body, in the barrel, and in the trigger. The eye wires were bent and one was broken (fixed it). There was also a small macro leak. (fixed with new macro)

I blacked out the screws already, cleaned it up, and got it running for my gf to use at the field last night. It works great. The only problem I'm having now is there is a small leak around the top of the bolt. Anyone know what would cause this?

VS3 Sniper
01-01-2008, 04:51 PM
The only problem I'm having now is there is a small leak around the top of the bolt. Anyone know what would cause this?

Prolly just an old/bad o-ring. that would be my guess but it may need some lube. sweet pick up tho.

Ace24
01-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Lubed it yesterday. I'll take it apart and check out the o-rings again, but they looked fine to me.

Hob Hayward
01-01-2008, 05:10 PM
You ARE the master of insane deals on PBN...

Ace24
01-01-2008, 05:17 PM
>.<

I have patience? I got my Profilers from there back in the day one for $25, the other was like $15-20 (can't remember... that long ago) when they were newer on the market. Now it's hard to find one for less then $40 :(

I really like the CP trigger though. No slop, nice adjusting, and as close to my T-1 trigger as I can find.

newkid
01-01-2008, 08:17 PM
nice pick up

Tito=PBL
01-05-2008, 07:34 AM
wow...that nice for only 100$!! can u get me some deals like that? lol

bamf-hacker
01-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Step 1 : Disassemble the marker. Separate the trigger frame from the firing assembly. Remove the battery, eye board, eye wires, body shell.

Step 2 : With the shell still off, reconnect the mid banjo or qev to the breech and reconnect the rear banjo to the donut. With the trigger frame still separate from the firing assembly, reconnect the front banjo to the trigger frame ASA port.

Step 3 : Turn down your reg and air up the ION. Increase the pressure to about 100psi.

Step 4 : Listen for the general area that the leak is coming from. Mix a bowl of 25% dish soap and 75% water and apply it to the leak area with a q-tip. Bubbles will form at the exact point where air is escaping.

If the leak stopped with the firing assembly off the frame, the common cause is bad hoses. Try gently pulling and pushing on hoses to try to determine which hose is causing the leak.

It is common for the frame to push on the rear banjo when it's assembled, causing the rear banjo to leak.Try shortening the rear hose by 1mm. Make sure the cut is clean and straight. If you still have it, try replacing the rear hose with the spare hose that came with your Ion. Also, you can try swapping the rear banjo with the front banjo.

http://www.chiumanfu.com/dlfiles/ion/ion_leak1.jpg

Follow these directions to fix the leak.

http://www.chiumanfu.com/dlfiles/ion/ion_leak2.jpg

Refer to this pdf file for part/oring locations.
SP ION Parts and Spares Doc (http://www.smartparts.com/Manuals/Ion_Parts_Kits.pdf)

A - A leak down the barrel is most likely caused by an unlubed oring or a worn out oring. Check these orings: Bolt Main Seal (Body Assembly #19), Bolt Stop Outer Seal (Body Assembly #5), Bolt Stop Inner Seal (Body Assembly #23), Bolt Guide Seal (Body Assembly #7). Plug the holes in the face of the bolt with your finger. If the leak stops, the problem is most likely one of the two bolt stop seals are dry or damaged.

B - A leak up the feedneck is caused by the same orings as a leak down the barrel. (see A)

C - A leak between the Body Breech and Fire Chamber is caused by a worn out oring. Check these orings: Body Front Seal (Body Assembly #5), Outer Body Seal (Body Assembly #6).

D - A leak from the front or back of the Swivel Donut is caused by worn orings. Check this oring: Fire Chamber Seals (Body Assembly #11). There is two of them under the donut. You will need a snap ring removal tool to get the donut off or you can use a pair of small needle nose pliers with very sharp tips. Insert each tip into the holes on the snap ring and open the pliers.

E - A leak from the Bolt tail is caused by a unlubed or worn oring. Check this oring: Bolt Rear Seal (Body Assembly #18). A small amount of air will be expelled during firing when the bolt returns to the open position. This is normal.

F - A leak from the rear 4mm Banjo Fitting threads can be caused by a worn out or damaged banjo seal. Replace the banjo oring with a 1.5x3mm oring. Check to make sure it is not cross threaded and there is no debris around the Swivel Donut inlet port. Screw it in finger tight. If it still leaks, replace the banjo fitting.

G - A leak from the rear 4mm Banjo Fitting quick disconnect can be caused by a bad hose. There is not much room for the hose and the barb on the Solenoid. This causes the hose to be pushed into the banjo's quick disconnect when the trigger frame is screwed on. A quick disconnect will not seal properly if the hose is being pushed into it. Remove the Banjo Fitting and make sure the hose end is intact and cut straight. Make sure the hose bottoms out inside the banjo's quick disconnect. Try cutting 1mm off the end of the hose to shorten it up. This will create some tension pulling on the hose and letting the quick disconnect seal up. Shortening the hose leading to the middle banjo fitting will accomplish the same thing.

H - A leak from the hose end is caused by a bad hose. This generally happens after the Ion has been over-pressured. The hose is stretched and looses it's tensile strength. Replace it. A tiny amount of lube on the barb will help the hose go on.

I - A leak from the Solenoid Barb is caused by a worn out oring. Check this oring: Barb Seal (Body Assembly #28). Also check that the barb is not cross threaded into the Solenoid Tee Fitting. When changing the Barb Seal, remove the Solenoid Tee Fitting from the solenoid to prevent stress on the electronics board.

J - A leak from the Solenoid exhaust port is caused by a damaged or dirty bottom seal on the Solenoid armature. Disassemble the Solenoid and clean the rubber seal at the bottom of the armature. Do not lube anything in the Solenoid. If a QEV is not used, a small amount of air will be exhausted from this hole during firing when the bolt moves to a closed position. This is normal.

K - A leak from the hose end is caused by a bad hose. This generally happens after the Ion has been over-pressured. The hose is stretched and looses it's tensile strength. Replace it being extra careful. This port is made of plastic and will break if too much force is applied. A tiny amount of lube on the barb will help the hose go on.

L - A leak from the Solenoid Barb is caused by a worn out oring. Check this oring: Barb Seal (Body Assembly #28). Also check that the barb is not cross threaded into the Solenoid Tee Fitting. When changing the Barb Seal, remove the Solenoid Tee Fitting from the solenoid to prevent stress on the electronics board.

M - A leak from the hose end is caused by a bad hose. This generally happens after the Ion has been over-pressured. The hose is stretched and looses it's tensile strength. Replace it. A tiny amount of lube on the barb will help the hose go on.

N - A leak from the middle 1/8 Banjo Fitting quick disconnect (or QEV quick disconnect) can be caused by a bad hose. Remove the Banjo Fitting and make sure the hose end is intact and cut straight. Make sure the hose bottoms out inside the banjo's quick disconnect. Try cutting 1mm off the end of the hose to shorten it up. This will create some tension pulling on the hose and letting the quick disconnect seal up. A quick disconnect will not seal properly if the hose is being pushed into it.

O - A leak from the middle 1/8 Banjo Fitting threads can be caused by a worn out or damaged banjo seal. Replace the banjo oring with a 1.5x3mm oring. Check to make sure it is not cross threaded and there is no debris around the breech inlet port. Screw it in finger tight. If it still leaks, replace the banjo fitting. If using a QEV try using a 08/90 oring or alot of teflon tape. When using teflon tape, do not allow any near the air port, keep it all on the threads.

P - (QEV only) A leak from the QEV exhaust port can be caused by a damaged QEV. Replace it. A small amount of air will be exhausted from this hole during firing when the bolt moves to a closed position. This is normal.

Q - A leak from the front 4mm Banjo Fitting quick disconnect can be caused by a bad hose. Remove the Banjo Fitting and make sure the hose end is intact and cut straight. Make sure the hose bottoms out inside the banjo's quick disconnect. Try cutting 1mm off the end of the hose to shorten it up. This will create some tension pulling on the hose and letting the quick disconnect seal up. A quick disconnect will not seal properly if the hose is being pushed into it.

R - A leak from the front 4mm Banjo Fitting threads can be caused by a worn out or damaged banjo seal. Replace the banjo oring with a 1.5x3mm oring. Check to make sure it is not cross threaded and there is no debris around the Grip Frame outlet port. Screw it in finger tight. If it still leaks, replace the banjo fitting.

S - A leak from the Gauge threads can be fixed by removing the gauge, cleaning the loctight from the threads and reinstalling it with fresh loctight or teflon tape. Make sure to let the loctight set before airing it up. A leak from the bleed hole on the side of the gauge means the gauge is blown. Replace it.

T - A leak between the Grip Frame and the Regulator can be caused by a worn or damaged oring. Check this oring: Reg ASA Seal (Regulator Assembly #14). Make sure the Body Filter (Grip Frame Assembly #5) is sitting flat in the Grip Frame ASA while you are screwing the regulator in.

Q: What O-rings are used in the Ion?
A: Here's a list of the factory specified O-ring replacements for the Ion.
Quan Size Duro Material Location
------------------------------------------------
1 2x16mm 70 HNBR Sail
2 1x4mm 70 Buna Solenoid barb
2 1.5x3mm 70 Urethane Banjo
1 8 90 Urethane QEV
1 9 70 Urethane Solenoid head
2 10 70 Urethane Tail, Reg Piston tail
1 14 70 Urethane Inner bolt stop
2 15 70 Urethane Swivel donut
2 15 90 Urethane Bumper, Reg ASA
1 16 70 Urethane Reg piston head
1 17 70 HNBR Inner breech
1 17 90 Urethane SFT
1 18 90 Urethane Reg velocity cap
1 19 70 Buna Barrel
2 20 70 Urethane Outer rear breech,Outer boltstop
1 22 70 Viton Outer front breech
Aftermarket
1 12 75 Viton Lucky Stage2 inner tail
1 8 70 Buna Deadlywind Foehn manifold
1 2x8mm 70 Buna TechT L7 inner bolt-stop

There you go

DFSniper
01-05-2008, 07:51 AM
very nice!

Ace24
01-05-2008, 11:17 AM
There you go
I already know where the leak is coming from... the O-ring looks fine. It's lubed... I'm going to get more air tomorrow or tonight and tinker with it some more, but I can't see why it's screwing up. I'm going to replace the o-ring with the spare I have in the box and see if that works.

That Compulsive Paintball O-ring kit is starting to look mighty fine right about now...

HelpDeskHustler
01-05-2008, 12:12 PM
I've never had any leaks, but if the hoses look mangled even a bit, I'd say it's that, the o-rings on ions tend to be sensitive to dirt on occasion and that will cause leaks, but usually general wear does very little to them.

Ace24
01-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Maybe it's a spec of dirt or shell then... the hoses are in mint condition. I'll take the o-rings off and clean them separately and the bolt separately then see what it does.

I can feel the leak on my finger out of the top of the bolt in the breach. It's such a tiny leak though. Only reason I noticed it was because I was holding it next to my head, resting it on my shoulder and heard a really tiny hiss.

ttam13xlpb
01-05-2008, 09:28 PM
ok me and all of my teammates have/or still do own ions and my suggestion to you would be to buy an oring kit...even if you fix the leak you have now you will...i repeat...will need it sometime if you use the gun regularly...from my experiences with about 6 different ions...

Ace24
01-05-2008, 09:35 PM
ok me and all of my teammates have/or still do own ions and my suggestion to you would be to buy an oring kit...even if you fix the leak you have now you will...i repeat...will need it sometime if you use the gun regularly...from my experiences with about 6 different ions...
Like I said, that $20 o-ring kit looks good from Compulsive Paintball.