View Full Version : Scuba Tank/Filling your own tanks?

02-13-2006, 03:15 PM
My friend just happen to inherit a 10 man diablo airball field. I talked to Durrell about filling our own tanks at the field but I need some help finding all the parts I will need. I'm very new to filling your own tank thing so I need to know every single part that I will need and what I can expect to pay for all the parts for the fill station. Thanks guys.


02-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Filling compressed air tank's...

Scuba tank- $200 brand new maybe a little more
Scuba tank fill station-$45

They only fill to 3000 psi though. I have one and there nice until you get a lot of people siphoning off of it.

C02 tank's..
Rent a big co2 tank
Fill station should be about $25

There's a technique to eat that you might want to read up on as it can be a little dangerous. I haven't done it myself but there is a couple thing's to watch out for maybe somebody else can shed some light on that.


02-13-2006, 04:11 PM
You can also rent tanks with higher out put pressure from you're local welding supply store. All you'll have to do is get a fill station to connect to it. This filling station would be a little more than your average scuba fill station. You can probably work with your welding supply store to build one from scratch or you can find one online. You can also buy your own tank with a 4500 to 5000 psi capability for from like $400-700, depending on size and output pressure. You can look at Nuvair (http://www.nuvair.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/paintballsolutions.shtml), they have lots of stuff. There is another place that you can check out online for filling equipment but I can't find the site, I'll look for it more and if I find it I'll add it in here.

Edited: Here you go (http://paintballcompressor.com/). That site has everything you need.

02-13-2006, 04:13 PM
They only fill to 3000 psi though. I have one and there nice until you get a lot of people siphoning off of it...........

I agree. Most people that get them use get 2 tanks, 1 tank for the initial fill and a 2nd to top it off. Still not that good for a group of even say 10 people. You will have a short day of fills with a small scuba tank. The 3000psi on a scuba will give less and less pressure per each consecutive fill -

If you're going to have a bunch of people getting air, you might just consider renting a 50lb tank and buying a fill station specifically for HPA for it. A bit more cost effective than purchasing them. You're prolly a big guy, you could most likely lift it yourself. You can sell fills to your friends and make back what you invest into it. A guy at a local renegade field sells complete fills for $2 and to top off your tank after a game $1 -

Recon by Fire
02-13-2006, 05:27 PM
I use a standard 3000psi 80cf SCUBA tank. Bought it for $150, could have gotten it cheaper but I specificly bought from a scuba shop that will refill it without having a diver certification. He charges me $5 for HPA fills. The tanks have a standard 10% overfill, so it can actually be filled to 3300psi. The owner though fills to 3500 psi because the tanks will safely handle it. I threw a Cat-5 fill station on it, about $25. I use mine for just fiddling at home and playing outlaw, but i'm the only one there filling off it too :) Hope those guys keep their Co2!

02-13-2006, 05:29 PM
I at one point was trying to get a big tank from welding shop's but none of the one's around here had anything capable of over 2200 psi. He told me I could go buy a big tank and he could get it filled but I figured it would end up being a hassle. I just made everybody quit siphoning off of my scuba lol!


02-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Thanks, so what I'm thinking is that we should probaly just find a shop to rent a tank from that will fill to 4500 and just buy our own fill station to adapt to it. What's it going to cost to rent one for say a day or weekend you think?


02-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Don't quote me on this but I think I recall someone mentioning like $50 a year to rent the large 50lb tank and you just pay for fills afterwards. It will be different prices depending on how available they are in your area. I used to get my C02 filled for $10 when I lived around Detroit but now it's like $13 here. I own my own 20lb tank though -

02-13-2006, 08:42 PM
at work we have nitrogen, cost about 60 cdn to rent for year, fills are cheap for this, so far was going to build a system with parts from the local hydraulic shop, just have to tell them how much psi it will need to handle, one thing i wondered is where to get the coupler for you HPA tanks though?

02-14-2006, 05:42 AM
I think all you have to do is get a quick disconnect system and use those coupler's. Depending on the tank you will need a bleed off valve if it has an on/off on top of the tank. If it doesn't then you will need to build in an on/off valve then a bleed off valve then the adapter to go into the nipple on the paintball tank. You just gotta make sure all the fitting's are rated for that amount of pressure.

I'll try and find a picture of what I'm talking about as I've seen them before.

Almost easier if everybody just bought two 68/4500's though.


02-14-2006, 06:30 AM
Dude... You owe me so bad!!!
Yer welcome! (http://www.docsmachine.com/tech/fillstation.html)

Should have known Doc would have had something. Heck I thought all he did was comic strip's.

Now the only problem is getting a 4500 psi tank.


02-15-2006, 05:41 AM
Thanks QAZ, you are the man.


05-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Well ended up getting the scuba tank, did 1 fill so far, worked good, a couple of other guys are doing the same, so dont have to fill no one elses when we are out playing. big plus is it is easier to carry around.